[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

a friend of mine has a three acre backyard and I am thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: Mighty-Shed.gif (574KB, 1200x946px) Image search: [Google]
Mighty-Shed.gif
574KB, 1200x946px
a friend of mine has a three acre backyard and I am thinking of building a tiny home back there to live. Well, I say tiny home, but really I am just planning to build a small bedroom and use the actual house for kitchen, plumbing and electricity, which I won't have in my room/shed. I am thinking of bare minimum, like just enough space for a bed and maybe some cupboards for storage (maybe 10'X8'). I have very little experience with this kind of stuff, but one of the people who live at this house works in construction and has done projects like this before. Just based off what I have posted, how difficult do you think this will be and what problems might we encounter?
>>
>>1031930
If you get neither electricity nor plumbing, what's the point? You'd just be littering, wasting space and being an eyesore, for pretty much no benefit to anyone.
>>
>>1031935
property owner is ok with it, and i'll only be paying ~$100/month to live there. After I move out, it can be used as a normal shed or rented to someone else and I'm doing all the labor and paying for the materials. now can we focus on the building of the shed?
>>
The hardest part of building my cuckshed was pouring the concrete for the foundation. I should have gotten a pro to do it.
>>
>>1031930
you're going to go into his house to use the bathroom?
>>
Just build a foundation and put one of those prebuilt Home Depot sheds on it
>>
Are you going to put it on a foundation or cinder blocks?
>>
>>1031942
>>1031946
>>1031951
I know diddly squat about pouring cement, and the foundation was one of my main concerns. can i just lay some blocks or do I have to to use cement?
>>
>>1031963
You don't have to use cement, cinder blocks would work, just make sure you make a trench so water drains away from your shed
>>
File: YOUWANTSOMEFOTHATBISH.jpg (78KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
YOUWANTSOMEFOTHATBISH.jpg
78KB, 960x540px
>>1031963
get some ready mix quickcrete, according to the volume of the slab you are going to pour. get some 2x4 according to the size of the perimeter of the said slab, and some OSB, use the 2x4 and the OSB to make a coffrage for it, if its going to be like your pic you won't need rebar, if its bigger, get steel rebar nad place them with elevation of no less than 2 inches above the ground.

If the shed is small (like pic you provided) the slab can be 5-6 inches, if its biggerm use the rebar as said, and make it double the thickness.

Also, don't forget to get gravel if the ready mix does not provide it, mix it 1 part quickcrete + 2 part gravel.

If there is no quickcrete available, get regular portland cement, gravel and sand, the ratio is

1 part cement, 2 parts sand and 3 parts gravel.

>also a little trick tip
>before laying the concrete cover the ground with nylon or vinyl so the moisture of the concrete doesn't go thru it too fast, that way it will cure better and safer

ask if you have more questions on the concrete part
>>
>>1031986
a coworker of mine used to work in cementing and has strongly discouraged me to from pouring it myself, especially if I plan to live here through the winter (PNW, gets pretty wet in fall/winter). Will cinder blocks provide a stable enough foundation for a small structure like I'm planing? Also is laying concrete as difficult as my coworker has said, or should I try doing it myself?
>>
>>1031963
Don't need a full slab.
Cinder blocks aren't the best for this.

Get "cap blocks". They're 4" x8" x16" solid concrete.
Should be like $3 a block.
Everyone has their own preference but try to stay under 4 feet in between them(that's assuming you have a decent floor of 4x4's or something)
You only need the blocks level with each other, so you don't have to prep the entire area.
>>
>>1031930
Build the base as a skid, place on blocks, no foundation needed. Slabs are silly unless you have specific need for one.

The internet is full of shed examples, or find someone who sells them and take pictures.

If you sleep in a hammock you'll be comfy and have plenty of extra space. Check hammock forums for examples of diifterent hammock types. I no longer use a conventional bed and I've had many different mattress types. Hammock is vastly less expensive too. Brazilian and Mayan styles are popular.
>>
>>1031930
No bath/sink/shower or water hookup is gonna suck. You can buy/build a drainfield for dirt cheap.

Also lots of places its illegal to live somewhere without a fresh water hookup.
>>
File: farmer_pepe.png (208KB, 964x771px) Image search: [Google]
farmer_pepe.png
208KB, 964x771px
Building this is pretty easy, but it will cost some money if you want it to be comfy.

Unless you live in a swamp you can just dig a few holes and fill that with some stones/bricks and cement. You don't need a concrete foundation for something this small and you certainly don't need rebar. Just make sure that you know what's in the ground before you start (just dig a hole and see if its sand/clay/rock)

If you are going to sleep/live in it and it gets cold in winter you'll need insulation, and because the walls/roof/floor is going to be the most expensive it's better to make it a bit bigger, because you'll pay a lot less per sqft that way.

Also if you use insulation, make sure you also use the correct foils to keep the walls dry, otherwise it will rot after a few years and your insulation won't work properly. The foil on the inside of the house is the most important one.

Electricity is really easy and a shed without it is just silly. Getting rid of waste-water can be difficult and will be more expensive (depends on the location of the existing house and your shed) but fresh water access is easy (just make sure it's under ground to avoid it from freezing in winter and getting too warm in summer).

For heating you can use a small electric radiator (not sure how cold it gets in winter) and you need enough fresh air so if you buy new windows make sure you get some with adjustable openings on top.

If you want I can make some drawings for you, I'm an engineer.
>>
>>1031930
You might as well just get an old RV, horse transporter or a van and live in that, then at least when it's time to go you can drive that shit out of there, also you won't need to fuck around with foundations.

Are saving up to buy your own land?
>>
>>1032303
I forgot to add that some old military vehicles and ambulances can be had for cheap, and can easily be converted into usable campers.

BTW what is your budget?
>>
OP here
thx for the advice everyone, I have spoken with my friends who live there and we are going to get supplies for the foundation tomorrow. We are going to make a cinder block foundation and a deck for starters
>>
>>1032021
Cinder blocks will work. But after the spring your going to have to added more as the land settles. Which isn't hard to do on such a small structure.
>>
>>1032321
I keep saying cinder blocks I mean cap stones.
>>
File: smart pepe.jpg (156KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
smart pepe.jpg
156KB, 500x348px
>>1032308

I would advice you to make a plan before you make the foundation. 10'x8' is really small and you can probably get twice the amount of space for 10% extra costs.

The walls also have to be thick if its cold in winter, so that will take at least an extra foot in both directions.
>>
File: 1451179092660.jpg (73KB, 700x468px) Image search: [Google]
1451179092660.jpg
73KB, 700x468px
>>1032308
I wish you good luck, personally I would still rather go with a vehicle of some kind but I truly do wish you the best of luck
>>
File: 1451179277854.jpg (49KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
1451179277854.jpg
49KB, 600x401px
>>1032351
inside.
>>
>>1031930
so basically you want to be a burden on your friends existence.

i do not support this
>>
>>1032353
i bet you smoke some good grass lol
>>
>>1032360
LoL, I hadn't tried any pot for 20 years, tried some last year and it nearly took my head off, it sure ain't the mild high it used to be back in my day!

My point about about getting a vehicle is that it gives him way more bang for his buck, for what he will spend on a (liveable) 8x10 shed and all the fucking around to put down a foundation he will get a much more comfortable vehicle, the summer will end in a few months and a lot of people will start thinking about selling their old caravans and RV's once they've done with them for the summer.
>>
>>1031930
Only trouble i see is cost of materials being high. But if u fot a buddy in construction go for it. Dont forget to get that double barrel 55 gallon drum wood stove kit from northern tool if winters are cold.
>>
>>1031937
Shit. Hamd dig a hole and build a septic tank. Build a watter storage system and get water from house or town. Highly suggest investing in solar panels and a fuckton of deep cycle trojen t-105 6 volt batteries. Look into wind power also.
>>
>>1031942
Shit, if you arent staying long and got no utilities fuckit. Build it on some railroad ties.

Bonus points for "cuckshed." Cannot stop laughing
>>
>>1031943
I built a shitter out of 2x4. Litterally 2x4 and screws. Its for work. The portashitter is a fucking wasp and spider mecca and smells like a bums nutsac. All of my nope. The only bumber is when its incliment weather.

So get a few 5 gallon buckets to shit in if it rains op.
>>
>>1032225
Op, u should seriously considder building a platform about 10 foot high or better in the future thst will hold a few 55 gallon drums of water. U can plumb them all together and use a small shitty pump to pump water to fill them up. Then u can even shower and have drinking water in your cuckshed. Id suggest shitting outside still. Save a ton of water
>>
>>1032269
Power around here is $1,500 a pole. He could dig a line and run rita cable i guess. I'm voting solar panels for a 1 man cuckshed tho.
>>
>>1032351
I dont know why you dont just buy an old camper op. Tons cheaper and u can take it with u when u leave.
>>
Friend obviously wants a useful shed from the venture.

Sheds are easy. If concrete is wanted for future workspace that's fine and different from just living there.

My bro uses an outhouse for his wastewater and shit. It's a short distance from the building he lives in and nobody is gonna dig through the shit to look for the connecting pipe. He's in the country where outhouses are legal.
>>
>>1032611
Outhouses are illegal.??????

Fut the wuck annon.

>mfw
>i own 3
>2 by the road
>still use 1
>>
>>1032540
>Dont forget to get that double barrel 55 gallon drum wood stove kit from northern tool if winters are cold.

In an 8x10 shed he will cook like a thanks giving turkey

>>1032547
>55 gallon drums of water

Better wrap that shit up it the weather round there gets below zero much

>>1032550
>I dont know why you dont just buy an old camper op. Tons cheaper and u can take it with u when u leave.

My thoughts exactly.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.