[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird Apartment hardware

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20160802_121527.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_121527.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
I just moved into a shithole apartment ran by slumlords that prob haven't worked on the building in years. I need help identifying a couple things:

1. Thick black wire, frayed at parts and cut at the end, that runs around siding and door into the wall. Found it when I moved some furniture to access the only grounded outlet (which is near the light switch)
>>
File: IMG_20160802_121933.jpg (1015KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_121933.jpg
1015KB, 1920x2560px
2. Pipes and shit coming out of the wall (bathroom is on the other side). Some plastic bags were stuffed where their is a hole in the floor.
>>
File: IMG_20160802_121911.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_121911.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
3. Another pipe jumping out of the floor close to the other ones.

This is a room on the top floor and side of the house if that helps.
>>
File: IMG_20160802_121545.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_121545.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
More pics if that wire
>>
File: IMG_20160802_121537.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_121537.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
>>
>>1031875
>if that helps

What the fuck is your question?
>>
>>1031879
Right in the OP: "I need help identifying a couple things"
>>
>>1031871
Take a pic of the end of the wire so I can see the conductors in it. It could be a few things.

Pic 2 looks to be an abandoned sink hookup. You have the capped drain from the wall and hot/cold water from the floor.

Pic 3 is a gas line.
>>
>>1031871
>>1031876
>>1031877
i would hazard a guess that this is twin/shotgun coaxial cable but the pictures are fucking shitty.
coax is a conductor (wire, usually copper) surrounded by dielectric (insulation typically foam nowadays but could also be kind of honeycomb plastic stuff) surrounded by a shield which is always thin stranded wire woven around and also sometimes a thin foil between the braid and the dielectric layer.
this example is two coaxial cables in one outer sheath that a mouse/rat/op has had a nibble on.

either that or its some shitty american mains wiring which wouldn't be a surprise considering 'knob and tube' was actually a thing.

coax is used for satellite tv, terrestrial tv, cable tv, cable internet, cable phone line. data basically. it shouldn't shock you but you might get a tingle. follow it and see where it goes.

as for the pipes yes they are pipes.
if you were in a civilised country i would say they were probably for an old water storage heater or some shit replaced by an efficient on demand gas boiler but americans aren't that advanced yet are you so could be anything.
>>
>>1031877
That's shotgun coax cable, part of an old satellite / cable install. Prob not landlord just a shit installer
>>
Confirmed it's shotgun coax. Since bare copper has been exposed, I can't just tape it up. Do these carry a lot of voltage? How can I safely terminate this cable?
>>
>>1031875
definitely a gas line if you care.

>>1031922
>does it carry a lot of voltage

no. Its usually a LV signal, but be sure to check with a multimeter, with landlords as shitty as you're implying I wouldnt put it past them to leave something like that hooked up to mains.
>>
I hope your landlord is paying you to live there.
>>
>>1031910
>the pipes are pipes!
Thank you soooo much for a useless answer to a question that was covered forty minutes before you got here!

Head back to /pol/ and shitpost there, eurotrash.
>>
>>1031993
wow why don't you suck my fat hairy cock sorry i even bothered to give you a detailed and informative reply to your question about the cable next time i won't bother since it wasn't appreciated. I should have guessed you wouldn't have had a clue anyway because only a real spastic window licking brain dead retard wouldn't be able to identify fucking coax and then take such a shitty picture of it.

>hurr durr i dun like u so /pol/
pull the coax off the wall and use it to fucking hang yourself
>>
>>1032041
ngl ur original answer was only like 3% information and the rest was just stroking ur own cock tbqhfamalam
>>
>>1032041
Try not belittling the country that owns your country next time, faggot. If you seriously think that code requirements in the US are the most strenuous compared to other major countries, you're retarded. Look at the literal shacks found scattered across europe. Look at the huts in africa.
>>
>>1032399
An African mud hut is about the same as an American house.
Europe houses are ok but not great.
US does not own my country or any country, you don't even own your own country
You better go tell the president that someone bullied you on the internet and get him to send out drones to kill all the innocent people in my country because that's all your good for: Nothing.
>>
>>1032407
This is some serious jealousy. You must be French.
>>
>>1032399
LOL england can't even beat the muslims they let in. America has been saying fuck the uk since day 1.

You got a great army? The greatest navey in the world? FUCK YOU.

you guys gonna come over here and tax us on goods? FUCK YOU

You wanna try and take out country away? Man, we kicked the stupid indian's from their homeland as a group of settlers. Then immidiatly turned around and pushed your shit in.
FUCK YOU

you want america? Tough shit, it's ours. FUCK YOU we'll fuck it up ourselves. Wich i might add we are doing a spectacular job of.

IF U DONT LIKE AMERICE AMYOU CAN GIIIIIT OUT!!!
>>
>>1032419
non
but i'd rather be a stinky french frog than a fucking septic
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.