[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuuuuu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: IMAG0222.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0222.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I'm in over my head with this one and an electrician is not an option.
This junction was on a wall that I removed in my bathroom and had another box Frankensteind to it.
It's two switches, light and vent fan , and a GFI plug.
There's a wire going to a plug in the next room over.
There was two wires going into it I'm assuming are the mains.
I'm recycling the switches and plug, but bought a three gang box for replacement.
I'm assuming I have to just tear every wire apart from every other one, but Jesus fuck this is a mess.
How should this go?
Fuck, I should budgeted bringing someone in.
>>
File: 1470069663505394494050.jpg (697KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1470069663505394494050.jpg
697KB, 1836x3264px
Also got a wire going to this junction box that looks like flows to a bedroom down here and then up into the bathroom above.
>>
only looks complicated cos its messy.

get rid of everything and start again with those thick white wires.

should be pretty simple to wire them up.

use terminal strip to help you get it figured out. then if you want to put it all in a nice neat junction box you can.
>>
>>1031327
Nope, that box has a different wire feeding it that I'm not fucking with.
The wire I thought was it just goes into the living room back wall.
'
>>
>>1031319
You need to figure out what is actually there.
>I'm assuming are the mains
So youre assuming one line for sockets, one line for switches.
Draw a diagram.
This is all very simple but can get confusing when you don't do it for a living.

You can plug a standard non-polarized plug into a socket either way, but if you wire hot and neutral incorrectly, you'll have a direct short with the ground wire.
>>
>>1031319
If this really is too much for you, I can draw a pic to explain what to plug into where when you get it apart.

But.

Wire is black/white/copper(no insulation)
Sockets are silver screws on one side, gold screws on the other.
Switches just break connection so they really don't matter in this installation I'm guessing.
Make notes of what is attached to which before you take apart. (Just in case installer did their own thing and didn't follow the standard)
>>
File: 14700747267611859375355.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
14700747267611859375355.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
Okay, so progress made.
Just recapped it as it was before.
Two wires weren't in the caps at all.
One of the mains, which I'm assuming will go into the plug, and the wire that goes in the back wall so it's joined to the breaker box from here.
I had my kid do the demo and he did a fine job but wrote nothing down because he's an idiot so I don't know for sure how it was wired with the switches and plug in place.

Does it make sense for that wire to also be wired to the plug?
>>
>>1031372
Also, all of the grounds were crimped together but I'm not equipped to do that. Can I just cap those as well or is a crimp a vital necessity.
>>
File: 1470079882493-1079823276.jpg (723KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1470079882493-1079823276.jpg
723KB, 1836x3264px
Okay so here's a ridiculously unprofessional diagram.

How do I complete the circuit at the light switch?

Is the little screw port on the underneath of the plug the ground? There's no screw in it and I don't know what the bundle of ground wires was grounded to.

Ignore the yugioh mat, makes a great mouse pad and my kid outgrew that particular brand of Satanism.
>>
>>1031403
purple to both swithces
(I'm assuming that the blue to the right switch is an error or is used as a safety ground).
>Is the little screw port on the underneath of the plug the ground?
Yes.
Replace any switches and outlets while they're out, they're cheap.(except the gfi outlet)
>>
>>1031403
>>1031448
>Is the little screw port on the underneath of the plug the ground?
>Yes.
On second thought, I'm not familiar with gfi outlets
>>
>>1031448
So I just need to connect the hot wires to the switches and leave the neutrals open?
>>
>>1031477
Actually, reverse that.
I run the hot wires from the appliances to the hot hub and the neutral to the switch. Right?
>>
File: 1470088683138-1630947667.jpg (734KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1470088683138-1630947667.jpg
734KB, 1836x3264px
>>1031479
Okay no wait, I think I got it.

Also, the romex wire marked upstairs runs the ceiling fans upstairs (Jesus what a janky ass job the last owner did), so I should be fine just putting pinning those in the hub, right? The only thing on there is the plug for my computer, and the light fixture and the vent fan.
>>
>>1031477
>>1031479
hot (black) to switches
neutral (white) to appliances.
That way, when the switch is off, there is no "hot" at the device.

Hot - switch - device - neutral
>>
File: IMAG0230.jpg (821KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0230.jpg
821KB, 1836x3264px
Thanks for all the help today, gentlemen.
10 hours later on a job that would probably take a skilled electrician 45 minutes, I'm done.
>>
>>1031592
lol bravo.
>>
>>1031449
Gfci's are wired the same, kinda.
When you piggyback (use the first screw connector for line in, then screw line out to the screw next to it on the side of the plug), instead of the piggy back simply being line power, they're protected power.
So you can run 7 normal plugs off of one gfci plug in the bathroom and all will be protected (8 devices is max for code)

OK OP.
Run the black wire to the switch, then from switch to device.
Run the white wire from device to circuit panel.
So:
>black wire from circuit breaker>switch>another black wire to device connection that has black wire.
>white wire from ground bus bar in circuit panel>junction box where switch is, then probably wire but connection to another white wire>to device white wire.

You can wire nut the grounds together if you don't have those cool crimp bands and you had to cut them apart.

Ground wires are also neutral, so don't let them touch the exposed black wires where they screw onto the switch or the screws on the side of the switch themselves.
Seems simple, but people overlook this when they squeeze everything back into the box.
Each switch/device should have a ground to it.
>>
>>1031592
Get all those ground wires together.
And make sure the grounds are connected to every device/switch/plug.
Devices (like a drill or hairdryer or switch or whatever) are designed so that if theres a failure the electricity is routed to the ground instead of you.
>>
>>1031482
>>1031477
hahahaha what am i reading?
do americans run their wiring this way?
in australia this is how it works, there is a cable with hot, live and neutral running to every light fitting and appliance with four terminals. these are:
live
switched live
neutral
ground

four wires connect to the appliance. from this, the live wire terminal does not connect to the appliance directly, the switched live connects directly to the appliance. the live wire connects to one of the wires for the switch run, the switched live connects to the other wire, when you flip the switch it shorts the two wires and the appliance turns on.

what we do not do is control multiple appliances across multiple circuits with a single switch.

so you have a switch there in the middle that switches neutral? im not from your specific postcode so i dont know what these colors mean but i guess black means neutral? BAD ELECTRICIAN BAD BAD NAUGHTY. for a lot of shit, neutral acts as a ground. especially old appliances so you shouldnt do this. also, its used as a safety feature for example, in a normal bayonet fitting, the outer metal ring is neutral, you can touch it while the light is on and nothing will happen. you need to stick your finger down in the hole to touch live. if you switch live and neutral around you make things not safe.

you dont connect neutral to a switch ever, only live and live return. neutral is always connected to the appliance or fixture. please draw this again but label everything live, neutral, ground, switched live and use straight lines and circuit diagrams and state exactly what it is you want to achieve.
>>
>>1031592
>that fucking pic
you ain't done yet boyo get that fucking shithole tidied up and done proper
>>
>>1031592
why are there wires flying off to thumbtacks in the wood?
>>
>>1032020
Black is hot.
>>
>>1031592
Lel tie the grounds together and you got a finished product just as 99% of residential electricians.
>>
My fucking god, you amerifats should copy the european system for electricity, its far superior and MUCH safer than this barbarian system
>>
>>1032043
No. Fuck that.
Fuck the janky ass wiring in this house that I'm definitely selling sooner rather than later.
Moving a box from one wall to an adjacent wall should be a simple task. This has been an eye opening experience.
>>
>>1032167
white is hot in US
>>
>>1032467
If you're gonna troll, at least put a winky face thing in the threads where someone could get hurt if they believe you.
>>
>>1032020
>>1032167
>>1032418
>>1032467
Jesus Christ. Burger wiring is the most retarded fucking system ever designed, not to mention the standards seem to be all over the fucking show.

In NZ it's all fuckin sorted. Granted most of the electrician's are retarded, but at least it's pretty hard to fuck up. And if it is fucked up, it's way easier to figure out than OPs birds nest of retardation.
>>
>>1033914
>>1032418
>Europeans once again confirm that they are a bunch of gullible retards
>>
File: IMG_20160614_141040.jpg (2MB, 1872x3328px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160614_141040.jpg
2MB, 1872x3328px
Good god take a look at this you burgers, this is QUALITY, what you got there is a birds nest
>>
>>1033948
>no labels
>quality

That mess is a nightmare to trace
>>
>>1033950
The labels are on the board which i removed for the picture
>>
>>1033948
Is the duck tape proper lock out,tag out too?
>>
>>1031403
Oh my god!

Yu-Gi-Oh is 20 years old!
>>
>>1033950
So do you think there were just breakers and cable thrown into a case and no one knew what they were for?

>ITT: People don't understand that in 2016, CAD, Schematics and Building Services Management is a thing.
>>
>>1033948
That's a sexy ass switchboard. I fucking laugh every time at taped over breakers since I'm guilty of it too, unless it's genuinely dangerous like an industrial machine or something.

Getting shocked by a lighting circuit or an empty power circuit is really not even that bad and especially with lighting it's often way easier to just work with the power on so you aren't running backwards and forwards.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-08-20-40-16.png (153KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-08-20-40-16.png
153KB, 720x1280px
>>1031403
See picture attached
>>
>All these "Handymen" making a fire hazard and spreading false information.
Just hire an electrician before you burn your home down.
>>
>>1031403
First of all, it appears you have two 'mains' feeds into this three-gang box. Generally, that's a bad idea, but leave that aside for now. One 'mains' feeds the GFI plug. The other feeds the two switches plus the runs going out to 'upstairs' and 'downstairs'.

Tie all the grounds together going in and out (bare wires, not shown in diagram) and to each outlet grounding screw (usually green). Tie the 'mains' coming in (not the GFI one, the one that feeds everything else) white (neutral) to all the whites going out (light, fan, upstairs, downstairs). Tie the mains black to the black going 'upstairs' and 'downstairs', plus two black pigtails. Tie the black pigtails to one side of each switch. Tie the other side of each switch to the 'light' and 'fan' black wires going out.

Simple.
>>
>>1035830
Why does everyone use the word 'Handyman' as some sort of derisive insult? Every handyman I know takes heaps of pride in his work and takes time to make sure the job is done right because of dipshits like you spreading shit about them and they want to make a good impression.

Just because someone is 'certified' or 'experienced' doesn't mean they will do a good job, fuck it doesn't even mean that they know the fuck they are doing. Half the 'qualified' electrical work I see is dodgy as heck, whereas most diy wiring is tidy and to code since they don't want their shit burning down.

Certification schemes are a fucking joke when you can get some cunt on minimum wage digging trenches for 4 years and then send them off to fit off plumbing and electrical in new builds since the man signed them off.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.