[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I were to install a few new outlets in my house, should I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 032886163500.jpg (135KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
032886163500.jpg
135KB, 900x900px
If I were to install a few new outlets in my house, should I use 14/2 or 14/3? I'm leaning towards 3 because I'm sure I need the ground, right? Is there another way of grounding the receptacle without using 3 lead wire? As far as the breaker box and everything goes, I have extra spaces.

Just doing a bit of research before buying anything so I figured I'd ask you gents. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1030392
So, I'm a bit stupid. I just researched for 30 more seconds and found out that the 14/2 has 2 leads plus a ground. That being said, is there any advantage or specific applications for 3 lead wire?
>>
>>1030394
Its often used for 220 volt installs in the US, as they have 2 hots. Its also used when you have a light/outlet controlled by 2 or more switches. If its just a standard 110 volt outlet with nothing fancy pants going on then the the extra wire is wasted.
>>
>>1030392
12/2
>>
>>1030422
this. if you ever end up plugging in an AC unit or fridge, you wont need to worry.
>>
>>1030392

14/3 is commonly used for 3-way switch wiring that requires 2 hots for the switch legs. it can also be used to supply power to 2 circuits with that single cable. such as a bedroom where one is used for lighting and one is used for outlets.
>>
>>1030392
>install a few new outlets
>>1030394
>14/2 has 2 leads plus a ground
14/2 romex is rated for 15A which is common duplex outlet rating in USA.
>>1030422
>12/2
12/2 romex is rated for 20A and is overkill unless you have and extreme run length from the breaker or you are connecting it to a 20A outlet or are running ten duplex outlets from one run of wire.
>>
>>1030433
>if you ever end up plugging in an AC unit or fridge
An AC unit should be on a dedicated outlet and breaker.
A fridge uses a couple hundred watts.
>>
>>1030492
>A fridge uses a couple hundred watts.
And its still code for it to be on its own receptacle anyway.
>>
>>1030502
>its own receptacle anyway.
A 20a receptacle using 12/2 wire?
>>
>>1030491
you say overkill I say better safe then sorry over the long run. My house was built in the 50s and is all 12/2 cu. 60 years and no problems. you know in that time period they built shit to work and last. I also was a electrician through high school and college we never ran anything under 12/2.
>>
>>1031553
and then the price of copper skyrocketed...
>>
Ahaha this fucking guy.

Fucking homeowners.
>>
>>1030510
No, fridges get a dedicated 15A cct fed with 14/2
>>
>>1031553
You weren't an "electrician" in high school and college, bud. You worked for one and were an apprentice at best.
>>
>>1031581
>Getting this butthurt that a high school kid can do his job.
>>
>>1031580
>No, fridges get a dedicated 15A cct fed with 14/2

>>1030422
>12/2
>>1030433
>this. if you ever end up plugging in an AC unit or fridge, you wont need to worry.

I'm putting in a few extra outlets so I should spend twice as much for the wire because I may want to plug in something that should not be used on these outlets.
>>
>>1031581
um no I took my certification test at 17 for two states and passed both to be licensed electrical contractor. I did a lot of new homes and a little bit of commercial stuff. In college i moved away and had to take another that states test to be certified again. Fuck its not that hard its a open book test.

>>1031585
well he can be butt hurt some more since the local union offered me a job and wanted to start me out as a 80%er. so one year and i would be a journeyman. I decided to go off to college instead.

>>1031574
The difference in price is $17 for between 14/2 and 12/2 @ a 250ft roll so it costs you 7 cents per foot more.
>>
U need 12 ga. Wire for plugs. 14/3 is for 3 way switches not for a ground. When u see 14/2 they don't count the ground wire bc in any piece of modern romex, there's always a ground wire. Plus 14 ga. Wire is underpowered for the 15 or 20 amps ur putting through it. 14 ga. Wire is for light circuits
>>
If you are running just a couple convenience outlets 14/2 does the trick. As others said 14/3 is commonly used as strap legs, travelers, or switch legs between 3 way switches (2 or more locations). Another use for 14/3 is going from a switch box to a ceiling fan, which allows the light and fan to be on separate switches. Something that can add complexity is with the extra wire you can switch entire receptacles or half of some receptacles by making a half hot receptacle.

You can go a couple hundred feet with 14/2 or 14/3 romex and not need to run 12/2. Per NEC 2014 you do not need the refrigerator to be on its own circuit. You are required to have to 20 amp branch circuits in the kitchen.

If you plan on running any kind of loads on it, say tools in a garage, I'd definitely spring for 12/2 romex. A dyson vacuum cleaner sucks up 12.5 amps of a 15 amp circuit when it is running. We get a lot of calls with them tripping breakers because something else is on at the same time overloading the circuit.

It sounds like you are new to electric so here are some basics-leave 6-8 inches of wire outside the box. We shouldn't have to bust the plug out just to have access to the wire. Pigtail the grounds and at any time one wire per screw. Do not backstab, always skin, twist, and be sure the open end of the loop closes clockwise (as you tighten the wire down the loop will have a tendency to close. Black to brass. If you are adding the boxes in drywall cut the add-a-boxes snug. If these is an open stud wall make sure you nail up the boxes accounting for the drywall thickness. Most boxes have a depth gauge on the side. Make sure the screws are tight. One lady changed out all her devices and ended up calling us out because things started breaking. She didn't tighten the screws down good enough. Staple within 6 inches of box and leave a little insulation visible inside box. Also label the panel, even if it is something as simple as 'plugs in front bedroom'.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.