[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tools for a Woodworker? (not me)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: list for nephew.jpg (177KB, 1288x978px) Image search: [Google]
list for nephew.jpg
177KB, 1288x978px
Hello /diy/, 31 year old uncle here. My nephew had a mental breakdown two years ago, apparently his conditions whatever they may be (doesn't trust his family) lead the doctors to recommend another inpatient stay and shock therapy.

He got re-accepted to University at 19, should be going back this fall. Wanted to make money on the side by building furniture for dorm rooms and just picking up thrown away pieces, but all he has is a pocket knife, and a phillips head screw driver. He's making a coffee table by carving old 2x4's in the basement (of a house his family does not own, the owner is letting them stay for free, family friend), sanding them down with old sandpaper, using whatever screws he has to put it together.

I'll post a picture if I see it when its done. Point being, I want to give him what I can.

Is pic related good for a beginner wood worker? I wouldn't know but I think I have an idea, any recommendations? How else can I help him as he tries to become a better wood worker and a good student?

Unfortunately my budget is $300, know that he'll be working in his single dorm room (single room for his mental condition, provided to him by uni), with a giant box fan for proper ventilation. Right now pic related adds up to $250 so I'll buy a power surge protector, some masks just incase, what else?
>>
Kinda sounds like you nephew should be kept away from sharp objects.
>>
>>1030150
I hate to admit that you're right but he's always in a better mood carving at the wood. He works up a sweat and smiles, which is extremely rare. He spends hours just carving, its taken him a week to get through the table top and sand it down the way he wanted.

I'm still doing this for him and he will be monitored at University, considering his special single housing, as other similar people are in this housing, there is a chaperone each floor (typical is one chaperone per house/building).

He's on a lot of medication right now, the newest one, Abilify actually seems to be making a bit of a difference, only two weeks in. I hope it lasts.

So, regardless of this, I'm taking a leap and buying him some tools. Any recommendations? His doctors agree it could be a good way to cope, but that he should be monitored.
>>
A couple of hand saws will probably be more satisfying for him than that jig saw.

Looks like that varnish is meant to be sprayed, not brushed on.

That vise is meant for metal and will be useless for wood.

Exterior screws won't be the best for furniture. Get some normal ones, they'll be cheaper too.

I don't think Black & Decker has been a great brand in my entire lifetime, and a good quality used drill from a garage sale will be a better value.

Get him a good book. The Woodwright's Shop is a good one.

>woodworking in a dorm room
Wat.
>>
the stains, drill and jig saw seem like things that would be considered contraband on a university campus. might get your nephew in a lot of trouble / kicked out.

get a smoothing plane, a rasp, a hack saw and a try square.
>>
File: slaps your girlfriends ass.jpg (218KB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
slaps your girlfriends ass.jpg
218KB, 1919x1079px
>>1030139

Show him our boy Matthias Wandel's youtube channel. He'll probably end up jerking it to him.

Aside from that channel, in all seriousness, you're looking at spending $750-1000 if you really want to help him out. Let us know if you can make this commitment and I can make an itemized list and explain some shit.
>>
>>1030189
>$750-1000
How many power tools would be in that list?
>>
Why not go hipster and get all hand tools. You could probably pick up everything he'd need for cheap at pawn shops and garage sales.
>>
>>1030200
I say that because it seems like the real joy he finds in woodworking is the carving and sanding. Using power tools may ruin that. However using planes and hand saws can be really relaxing.
>>
>>1030139
>>1030150
>>1030155

Woodworker with PTSD here:
Woodworking can work as a good distraction, but I do hope that the guy is getting some regular help in conjunction with a good dosage of pills, as sharp objects can be tempting under specific circumstances. I used to self harm pretty regularly, and even if you don't have specialized knives and stuff around, you can still hurt yourself with as little as tin foil, cardboard, paper clips, etc. If sharp objects are an issue, it might be better if he was in inpatient. Prevention and working on addressing whatever problem the person is dealing with is a lot more important then worrying about if they own a box cutter or something.

Anyway, to address the original topic being asked: it might be more useful to start off with some basic tools and get items as they're needed. It'll give him a chance to get a good feel for the tools he has, and know where he's falling short and figure out what he needs the most, first. But if you want to drop it off in a single trip, bare essentials for me would be: eye protection, dust mask/ventilator. Ear pro for power tools. Nice pair of chisels, a double sided mallet, smallish handsaw, ruler, level, combination square, wood glue, pencil & sharpener w/ eraser. CLAMPS, spring, wood screw, bar clamps make a huge difference.

Some nice things to have: pocket hole jig - you don't need the kreg k5, there are some cheap 20$ one's that get the job done if you can use it with a clamp or two. Wood screws would be helpful. Bits for drilling pilot holes would be great, if you're gonna get a drill. If you're going to get a jigsaw, I would encourage checking out an edge guide. Toggle Clamps are great if he's going to be building a jig for edge jointing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrYjc3G1vgo).

I think the thing that would really help the most is probably a table saw, but due to your budget, it wouldn't make much sense to get just the saw but have nothing to go with it.
>>
>>1030184
Thank you.
>dorm
Its a large single room, like a studio apartment. Thank you for the tips. New list pic related, I think a hand saw is a good idea, thank you.

>>1030187
Just checked the contraband policies and weapons policies. Power tools might be pushing it, but hand tools no problem. Neither is the stain, basically its based on what the item what designed to do. If it was designed to cause bodily harm, expect expulsion.

>>1030189
I'm willing to listen anon, thank you for your time. I can make that commitment if I push the budget, basically I'm OK up to $1,500 since I have a loose $2,000 but I'd like to give him some money for basic living, enough for him to buy coffee here and there, maybe some new clothes, food (as a luxury), etc.

>>1030200
>>1030204
I understand your point, and it seems like a good one. A miter box and hand saw might be better for him, and safer.

>>1030192
lets find out!

Really appreciate the help so far. Thanks guys. Pic semi-related, in the future years if he manages to get a luthier apprenticeship or just becomes good enough at wood working he wants to make his own guitar (this is just a passing thought he told me, not his main focus).
>>
>>1030213
You're a good man, OP. Having a social safety net and people who give support and confidence in your life is very good for someone with a personality disorder. As someone who went through such hardships, it's good to have someone like you around.

At worst, he doesn't use them and you threw away $300.
>>
>>1030150

I thought the same thing, but you'd have to be a ninja to seriously hurt someone with a woodcarving set. Any steak knife would do more damage.

Ditch the corded drill and get a cordless.
They're relatively cheap nowadays.
He doesn't need the power of a corded for wood, and being untethered is a bonus (less " god damn f#%$& cordagain")
Almost any brand, hopefully with 2 battery's (although most the new ones take like 20 minutes to charge and last a loooong ass time).

The woodcarving set is what I was hoping to see in your list. This can be a major focus point. Not just making furniture sturdy, but carving intricate patterns can be better therapy than anything else he'll encounter.

>>1030210
A lot of good stuff.
Can never have enough clamps.
Bar clamps can get expensive- maybe get lucky and find some at an estate sale or something.

Metal worker with mild PTSD here BTW.
>>
>>1030139
How about some books to acompany tools that you plan to buy?

Here's a copule of free ones, you can read online:
-Tools and how to use them
https://archive.org/stream/woodworkingtool00bostgoog#page/n6/mode/2up

-Carpentry and woodwork
https://archive.org/stream/carpentryandwoo00fostgoog#page/n0/mode/2up

-Elementary sloyd an whittling
https://archive.org/stream/elementarysloydw00lars#page/n0/mode/2up

-Rustic carpentry
https://archive.org/stream/rusticcarpentry00haslgoog#page/n0/mode/2up

They might a a little bit old, but honestly basics in carpentry didn't change since middle ages. Also you mentioned he enjoys carving, so it will fit even better. You yorself can get a qiuck look to see what tools are and which he might find useful.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.