[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electric Fan Repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: inductionmotor.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
inductionmotor.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
I'm fixing an electric fan, which suddenly stopped working, and after oiling the rotor I've realized that the problem is probably the engine itself.
It has an induction motor with coil and a rotor. And I have absolutely no idea what might be wrong. I've considered buying new capacitor, as it is the most likely reason for the engine not to start up, but maybe you have other ideas. Thanks
>>
>>1029762
>I've considered buying new capacitor

Its easy to test if its the cap. Turn it on and listen for a noise. If theres noise its probably the cap. Another way to test, thats less safe, is to turn it on and spin it yourself a few times as fast as you can. If it starts turning on its own it was a bad cap. If it doesn't its probably something else.

The main problem is a bad cap often leads to other issues. The cap fails and the motor is left energized but not spinning. So it heats up. Without any airflow to cool it you fry something.
>>
>>1029763
Yeah, but unfortunately the motor doesn't make any sound. So I suppose it is the engine fried. Thanks anyway
>>
>>1029762

Odds are very good it's the capacitor or the switch. The style of motor used in the typical fan pretty much never dies.
>>
File: 20160729_204039.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160729_204039.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>1029768
>>1029763
So I've bought a new capacitor but it's not marked very well, and I don't know what's the capacitance and voltage. Can somebody help me read it? Thanks
>>
>>1029813
how can you buy a new cap if you don't know the parameters?
>>
>>1029813
Just bought it from a vendor in Hong Kong. And I don't know technical terms in Cantonese. I just asked for the needed parameters and he handed me this saying its fine. It was cheap so I didn't ask questions.
>>
>>1029813
155 = 1.5µF
K = 10%
275~ = 275V AC
X2 = safety capacitor class
40/100/56/B = -40 to +100C, passes 56 day humidity test
>>
>>1029836
Thanks a lot. And as far as I know this cap isn't polarized, is it? Plus and minus isn't marked.
>>
>>1029762
>and after oiling the rotor

u wot

>It has an induction motor

There is many different types of motors that are induction type, can you please post pics of the motor?

>>1029813
that type of capacitor is typically used in emc filtering/snubber use. See x class capacitors. That capacitor was likely used across the supply to meet emc regulations, not to allow the motor to operate.

The motor being a fan motor is most likely a shaded pole motor, the only thing that stops them from working is either seized bearings which is easily identified or burnt out windings which can be identified by smell and a ohm meter. There is a chance that the motor has an integrated thermal fuse that has operated and protected the winding however you'd need skill and patience to replace/bypass that.
>>
File: ihavenoclue.png (518KB, 1000x1400px)
ihavenoclue.png
518KB, 1000x1400px
>>1031249
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.