[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop power supply - easy to fix?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20160728_174150.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160728_174150.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
I got water over my power supply and thought it would be dry after a day - unfortunately it wasn't and when I plugged it in (without it being plugged into the laptop) I heard a couple of pops and sounds that shouldn't be there. I took it apart and there's no visible damage.

Is this a rather easy fix or should I just trash it? I was thinking about taking it to an electronics shop and getting it fixed there as they are rather expensive to buy new.

If all else fails, can I buy any other power supply (not necessarily for a laptop) that fits the same specs (12V 2A) and just solder on the right cable?
>>
For future reference, wet electronics should be put in a bag of uncooked rice and left to sit for 3 days
>>
>>1029455
What popped was the big transformer in the middle arcing over. And these transformers are getting less and less common in place of PWM type power supplies. These have quite a bit of copper wire inside them and this is what makes them expensive.
Said arching most likely overvolted that mosfet you have there and it let out the blue smoke of death.

Theoretically yout could get some copper wire and re wind your transformer and swap out the mosftet for a similar one. But this would cost a lot of money since copper wire is sold in bulk and ain't as cheap as it was. Mosfets are af tho and a new one wont cost more than a dollar at most.

Get a new power supply its like 20-30$ or buy one used. Most laptops have the same specks anyway.
>>
Thanks for the replies!

Update:

I tried plugging it into the wall socket again (not plugged into the laptop) and the buzzing noise that I was getting from when it was plugged in is gone. Is it possible that it will work? I am afraid to plug it into my laptop to check, and my multimeter prongs are too big to fit into the jack to measure anything.
>>
>>1029514
Or if you have enough, you can use silica gel
>>
>>1029577
You could stick some wire into the hole, or find where the leads attach to the circuit board and measure it there.

>>1029520
>most laptops have the same specs anyway
Incorrect.
>>
>>1029577

attach something smaller to your multimeter leads
>>
>>1029577
stick a paper clip on the inside
>>
Thanks I stuck some copper wires in but I'm not sure what I should be checking for on my multimeter. Do I just touch both wires separately and check the DC voltage?
>>
>>1029605
Yes
>>
Checked Ebay? Lots of organ donors there. I've built many Thinkpads but there are donors of all types.
>>
Thanks guys, the multimeter showed no voltage or something like 0.02V and I plugged it into my laptop and nothing happened.

Can I just buy ANY power supply that fits the specs (12V 2A) and just swap the cables? Or does it specifically have to be for a laptop. What's the difference?
>>
buy secondhand or a new chinese replacement on ebay = done
>>
laptop brand and model?
>>
>>1029614
>Can I just buy ANY power supply that fits the specs (12V 2A) and just swap the cables?
Theoretically, yes. You have to match the polarity on the tip which is the one catch

Just buy a new one, desu. It's like $10 or something
>>
>>1029614
You can. though if you go with a higher amp capacity transformer, it wont be burning hot sitting on the floor while charging
>>
>>1029645
>>1029647

Asus C201

The only one I could find is 40 euro so I'm trying to find a cheaper option, either getting the power supply fixed or just swapping the cable with another power supply. It's a cable plug that's uncommon among laptops so it's hard to find a charger for it that's used and cheap.
>>
>>1029778
https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Adapter-Asus-Chromebook-C100PA/dp/B019ATN29M You can choose where to ship on the page.
>>
>>1029584
The only product in the world where i can defend the "do not eat"-label. It looks like it should taste like sugar an lemon
>>
>>1029584

You can buy kilo bags of silica beads at hardware stores.

Better than rice, but sludgier too.
>>
>>1029514
>>1029584
>>1030876
You definitely should not, stop spreading the myth, because it does not work at anything more than an anecdotal level at best, and at worst is just a placebo. The only thing that should ever be done to electronics that get wet is to strip it down, and circulate warm dry air through it. Scrub corrosion with a toothbrush and 90% isopropyl alcohol, and possibly use an ultrasonic cleaner. Bag of rice or silica do not actively dry the insides of electronics out.

>>1029455
Buy another one on Amazon, don't be a fuckup and get this one wet.
>>
>>1029778
Why not just buy a charger with simular voltage and switch the plug with the one from your old charger? It should not be that hard to do.
>>
>>1031131
Well rice and silica beads absorb moisture from the air. Dry air will allow moisture to leave the circuit.
So its not like its implausible.
If you want to strip something down and dry it out under a microscope then that's great but for the average pleb the simpler the better, nothing is simpler than a bag of rice. If you told people hairdryer there would be someone who used a blowtorch or burned down their house or some shit. It's impossible to fuck up putting something in rice and leaving it for a week.
Sure it won't solve any corrosion or remove deposits or any shit like that but sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't cost much compared to putting it into the shop.
So are you a phone repair guy pissed at losing business or some guy that spilled coffee or energy drink on something and the rice didn't work and your all sore about out now?
>>
I recongnize that PSU, its for ASUS laptops. I had one, accidentally stepped over it. Worked fine for a few times but then refused to work. Just buy a new, I also tried "solder" (read: splicing) the cable with another charger it worked fine but eventually it just stopped, I guess the glue corroded the wire or something but you may have better luck by soldering. Just buy a new one to avoid all the hassle. As long as it fits and uses the exact same voltage and equal or greater amperage. I bought a Power+ 19V charger that has 3.42 amps but works fine on my laptop even though its 19V & 1.75A
>>
So can I just buy ANY charger (not even for a laptop) with the same specifications and change the cable? I found a lot of power supplies for $2 for LED tapes or whatever, could I just use that? I don't want to spend $50 on a new charger
>>
>>1032338
Holy shit how have you not just bought one yet.
>>
>>1032340

I'm looking at them right now and I'm just wondering if anything will do with the same specs
>>
File: IMG_20160803_133440.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_133440.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
Can someone explain what this means? Is this a positive center plug? Do I just need a charger with the same polarity?
>>
>>1032343
Yes. Something with the same voltage, current supply ability, and plug/polarity. Or just buy the proper one.
>>
>>1031365
do not put rice near electronics. rice is full of dust that fucks with them forever.
>>
File: 6315800192.jpg (99KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
6315800192.jpg
99KB, 900x600px
Update:

So I ordered this used power supply off of ebay with the right specs and I figured out how to do everything to switch the cable and make sure it's connected properly with the polarity and all.

I'm just wondering: Do you guys think such a power supply is likely to have any overvoltage/overheating/etc. protection? Is it really that important? If anything I'll just order another power supply that has one for sure and dick around with this one for practice.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.