[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Desperation thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: fixed.jpg (28KB, 320x220px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
28KB, 320x220px
things done in desperation due to lack of materials or tools needed
>>
File: 2016-07-28-2597.jpg (589KB, 562x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-28-2597.jpg
589KB, 562x1000px
>>
>>1029395
What is that? New to /diy/.
>>
>>1029588
Welding filler rod stubs together to get a usable filler rod
>>
File: jesus christ.png (900KB, 690x968px) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ.png
900KB, 690x968px
I was watching a car rebuild/restoration show on TV.

They ordered a new head for some new turbo intake system or something
Whoops
Wrong part for this engine, not tall enough.

>I got this
>Manager has a guy stick weld a hundred+ sticks or something on to build up half an inch of metal on the block and then machine it to a flat surface.

Then they sold the car/abomination at auction for fat monies.
>>
>>1029393
Also that's really not that bad.

Power company has been out already, that's the new pole on the right by the patch of dirt. That's holding up the power lines.

The trashed one is being held in position by the high-tension cable/telephone lines, it's just holding them up.
>>
>>1029737
a good way to get bad welds
>>
>>1029757
Yur shitting me, I gotta see this.
Even thought the vast majority of reality TV (or any "real" TV for that matter) is scripted I NEED to see someone explain that that will work and get away with it.
>>
>>1029757
Welding and machining is actually a pretty common practice.
>>
>>1029757
WHAT THE FUCK!
link pls
>>
File: diy (31).jpg (57KB, 630x359px) Image search: [Google]
diy (31).jpg
57KB, 630x359px
>>
>>1029737
not welding rods those are sil-fos rods (silver solder) they are for brazing and are pricey. you need to heat the metal up to a cherry red and then it flows fine. you dont need to worry about cleaning or anything like that it will adhere to just about anything. Ive had to do that with pure silver filler rods and sil-fos.
>>
>>1029823
Sorry gentlemen, it was on tv like 5 years ago on some car auction reality shit. I can't remember anything else about it.
>>
>>1029949

shit, if you have to make it back home, you have to make it back..
>>
im using a drywall knife and pvc saw to cut wood for a skateboard
>>
>>1029760
If you don't know puddle control you will get bad welds, but otherwise you will be fine
>>1029994 I know it's not welding rod, but it is physically welded together via oxy acetylene
>>
Fence around my house is made from rebar bars and house itself was build from bricks recovered from deconstruction.
Such was life under the communism, no available materials at all.
>>
>>1030298
One side of my fence uses cut bed frames from a trashed bed frame that are hammered into the ground, rest of it is normal chain link.

Mostly its because I didn't want to spend any money on it because the old maple next door, even though trimmed to property line, drops large 200lbs+ logs on the fence from 20" in the air about twice a year and would fuck any fence up.
>>
>>1030348
Nothing wrong with that.

Frame/fence trivia: Bed frames and steel fence posts are usually made from the same material in the US, rerolled scrap railroad rail.

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=319930&postcount=3
>>
Used a rubberband instead of a rubber washer to stop my sink from leaking. Its been holding up for 6 years and I'm very surprised...
>>
I drove my old car around like this for a few days while I waited for a new throttle cable. (mine snapped and this was the roadside fix) vid related.

http://sendvid.com/li1j81t1
>>
>>1030417
MrBean.mp4
>>
>>1030126
It's the fact that it probably made it home, and then they kept on driving with it like that.
I used the hood release cable for my car to hold the exhaust up. Just a temporary fix, except it was still holding it up when I sold it a few years later. I didn't need the hood release cable anyway, the bitchin' camaro had hood pins.
>>
>>1030353
thats actually pretty crafty
with a proper sized rubber band that joint would actually be pretty good
>>
>>1029757
>>1029790
>>1029809
>>1029823

my buddy's dad is a pipe welder and one time a piece of pipe came in that was an inch short or some kind of piece was around an inch too small in diameter or something. anyway they were on a deadline and it would take too long for the correct piece to come in so they spent all day filling it up to the correct size by just running beads 'round and 'round it. then they just grinded it down to fit.
>>
>>1029823
>>1030077
I remember this... American Hot Rod - Alumatub

This link does work in my country but I think it was this episode: https://youtu.be/BL86fJzLmFE
>>
>>1031011
Doesnt work in my country....
>>
>>1029393
I have a story to this.

>be me
>me, my mother and a lot of friends go together to a camp in the summer
>stop at a rest halfway
>friend's car starts making horrible sounds
>starts and smokes like crazy, overheating
>open bonnet
>smoke everywhere
>water tube completely severed
>no tools
>no replacement
>mother pulls out a felt tip pen
>with a pocket knife, she cuts off the top and bottom
>shoves it inside the tube on both sides
>it works
>friend promises he'll go to a garage as soon as possible
>ends up running for 6 months with it, mechanics found it at a scheduled check-up

My mother is macGyver.
>>
more of a QTDDTOT question but I didn't see one of those. This thread will work. Could I use clear packing tape on my new phone while I wait for my actual protectors to arrive in the mail?

I'm talking protecting the screen
>>
>>1031593

No but you can use a gun to shoot yourself
>>
>>1031593
the tape might fuck with the phones touchscreen ability while its on, but it will still protect the screen and go right back to normal once you take it off
>>1031858
>dont run with all that edge
>>
>duct tape
>laughing forever
When I was 20 years old, back in 2004, I suffered serious chronic bowel problems and exhaustion issues. Not sure why. Life was pretty much struggling to eat, digest and poop and dealing with family that insisted the best cure for illness was to push me to pretend to be normal to make me normal. Wonderful people, really.
Well, they were poor white trash, and we lived in a home literally built in the 1970s by an old man that made everything out of workable wood and materials he got off the local dump. So the shower was cheap ass vintage 1960s plastic, and it was shit.
The plastic floor, walls, etc. was all corroding like cheap action figures. It'd crack, it'd crumble. It'd get the floor beneath the shower stall wet and then we'd get mold smell. I was concerned the floor was going to rot out from every time we showered. So, I asked them to get me materials to fix it. Being a stupid kid with roughly one fifth of my brain left from suffering all fucking day, I couldn't even visit the hardware store on my own. My family is as dumb as a bag of hammers and cheap as fuck, so they always tried to lowball my requests for materials and just get whatever they "think" it needs, rather than what it really needs.
So what I wound up with was a bunch of plumbers caulk and about 12 rolls of duct tape.
I caulked over the broken plastic holes and sealed it up as best I could, if only to keep water out of it. Was kind of hoping it'd act to give a few more years out of the stall.
Then I used duct tape like I was part of an ancient civilization that made architecture out of primitive adhesive strips with glue and resin/wax impregnated leather hide. I made the inside of that shower stall absolutely shine with layers of duct tape. And I did it starting from the bottom, leading into the drain. Why? Because the seams would be hidden. Gravity forces water droplets and beads and moisture down. If it has no top side to pour down on, the tape can't get wet
>>
>>1032317
Suffice to say, my industrial amount of patience and meticulously layering long strips of duct tape so water was forced to flow down the drain as opposed to sit in puddles and soak into the tape worked. The inside of that ancient ass cheap plastic shower stall worked for the next 3 and a half years, until we got the fuck out of there and moved some place decent.

But I just want to tell you, my family is poisonous and seems to make every situation counterproductive. I only wish I had DIY in those days. It would've spared me a lot of calories and a lot of pain of having to depend on my peers for information while wrestling with the chronic pain of inflamed bowels and GERD all god damned day while trying to handle business.
>>
>>1032318
You sound like a whingey baby no wonder your family couldn't be bothered with you
>>
>>1031593
You'll never get the goo off if you even get all the tape off. Also the tape with scatch easier then your screen.
>>
>>1032323
lol, and you sound like an asshole. not even him
>>
>>1032323
lol wow what a dickhole.
>>
>>1032324
Use band-aid remover. I find it pointless to use on skin, since it wears off anyways, but it dissolves most sticky non-hardened glues in my experience. Probably some solvent that might interact with the screen if the plastic is the wrong kind, but whatever.
>>
>>1031011

Starts at 9:30. Christ thats just....
>>
>>1033734
it's just the intake manifold surface, not the whole head. i think it came out quite nice.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.