[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/diy/ will defend this.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 17

File: TORX-SCREW.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
TORX-SCREW.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
/diy/ will defend this.
>>
Better than phillips.
>>
>>1029124
Torx is fine.
>>
>>1029124
Yes? Better than Phillips or slotted.
>>
>>1029124
>implying anything is wrong with torx
develop your argument
>>
>>1029124
there is something wrong with torx. It isnt torx plus
>>
>>1029139
The bigger ones explode and the indents of the star teeth break all the fucking time. God help you if you have a jeep that has rust or any vehicle with them.
>>
>>1029143
I'm a mechanic and work on shit with torx all the time, it's no issue. As above, far better than Phillips.
>>
fuckin casuals not owning torx screwdrivers

doesnt matter though. hex is best and always will be.

hexagon is natures best shape
>>
>>1029149
nah they strip easily

phillips is the apex screw head

maybe square
>>
More contact/surface area = more better

Give me dodecahedron deads
>>
>>1029150
>torx strips too easily
>phillips is best

kek
>>
>>1029161
I meant hex strips easily, not torx. torx is bullshit because who the fuck owns torx screwdrivers
>>
>>1029163
>who the fuck owns torx screwdrivers
Literally anyone with $10
>>
>>1029150
yeah i bet you think that.

i also bet you only have 1 type of phillips screw driver with a 19* apex on the tip

casual

>square

not even divisible by 3
useless

>>1029156
>base shape: pentagon
ew
>>
>>1029163
>who owns torx
anyone who has isnt a fucking butcher

hex doesnt strip easy, you are a ham fisted idiot who doesnt have "the touch"

youll develop it someday. and youll never strip a head on anything again. but only if you use the proper tool
>>
>>1029170
I have had entire allen keys fucking bend and shear off while trying to replace parts on a bike

hex screws are shit

at least with a cross, you have some redundancy in case part of it strips
>>
I like allen, and robertson, and torx all better than phillips screws.
>>
>>1029172
if either of them strip you are in the same boat anyways

>>>1029172
>allen keys fucking bend and shear off
>bike

thats why you are a mongoloid asshole

its like, youve never turned a bolt before

righty tighty, lefty loosey
i fucking love bolts and hardware dont fuck with me

>>1029172
>hex screws are shit

fight me faggot
best tier

ISO metric hex
not worst tier
DIN metric hex
shit tier
ASME USF/USC hex
>>
>not using Torq-set

you guys are A M A T E U R S
>>
>>1029180
Hex is objectively shit because of their metric and imperial variants which are stupidly close in size. Fuck owning two sets of allen keys and sockets and having a 50% chance of getting it right.

Hex strips less than phillips but more than torx and based robertson.

hex a faggot
>>
>>1029143
I've been wrenching my own vehicles for 25 years and never had a problem with torx.

Pro-tip, when you get a new vehicle (new to you, or new used, it applies in both circumstances) go around it and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tightened to factory spec, I've lost count of the amount of times I've found shit not done up right, and this applies to every make and model of vehicle out there, also give every bolt and screw head a nice little blob of grease to help keep corrosion at bay a little longer, also remember to lube any fasteners before refitting, it's amazing how many dry threads and mating surfaces you find when you have to undo stuff.

Last week I had to replace the brakes on the wife's i10, the wheels were practically welded to the hubs because nobody at the factory thought to wipe and oiled rag over the mating surfaces, which then corroded together because they are dissimilar metals, if you clean and oil the mating surfaces then you don't have to use extreme force to get the wheel off the hub even though the lug-nuts are right off.
>>
>>1029163
I hope this is bait because if it isn't then you need to GTFO of /diy/ you no tool owning peasant!
>>
>>1029172
Seized threads are a pain in the fucking ass, make sure to use some copper grease on all threads and you will (almost) never suffer from seized threads again, only bad mechanics and shitty makers skip thread lube.
>>
Come to think of it,I think torx are the only type of screws I've never stripped
>>
>>1029196
That's the thing about hex. On paper it's great. But then you have a Metric and Standard version, which as you said are very similar, especially in the smaller sizes. Factor in manufacturing tolerances for tools and fasteners and its and utter and total crapshoot.
>>
File: ifurgonnaflipoutdoitright.jpg (4KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
ifurgonnaflipoutdoitright.jpg
4KB, 130x130px
>>1029124
really.. why do you create these threads, this has to be the same fuck everytime too.. nobodys gonna argue over this shit, I think anyone here with a brain can understand anything is better then janky ass jew phillips [thanks ford] and slotted...

if you're gonna get mad at obscure shit, pic related. but even then.

Also if you working on anything made in japan, JIS screw driver set is a MUST.
>>
>>1029143
>indents of the star teeth break all the fucking time
Use the right size bit then
Its easy to grab a slightly too small bit and it will just chew the fuck out of it
>>
File: bone_screw.jpg (20KB, 570x459px) Image search: [Google]
bone_screw.jpg
20KB, 570x459px
>>1029218
>>1029196

the sizes that are close enough to matter (1.27,2,4,8,(almost never 14)16,19 ect) are close enough so that they dont matter and can be used interchangeably, every other stupid fucking fraction is different enough that if you try to interchange its noticeably different

but i know hexlove is validated
because anything that has to be not shit, a hex bolt is used.

the industry over hex is used on everything except gay shit like consumer electronics, wood screws, and interior panels on cars

everything else is hex

even these bonescrews
>>
File: clutch head.jpg (33KB, 300x282px) Image search: [Google]
clutch head.jpg
33KB, 300x282px
FINAL DESTINATION
>>
>>1029235
anything that uses these are disposable.
>>
>>1029139
>it's not a Robertson

>>1029235
Nothing a dremel and a quarter can't fix.
>>
>>1029242
Just like your mom
>>
>>1029150
Anything is better than philips.

Philips was designed to strip so early drivers didn't overtighten.
>>
>>1029249
This is a meme. Though most screws are potmetal so they strip regardless. Except the Robertson. I've literally never stripped or snapped one.
>>
File: laughing imps doom.png (397KB, 493x442px) Image search: [Google]
laughing imps doom.png
397KB, 493x442px
>>1029163
>he doesn't own a set of Wihas for every Torx size
>he will never know the orgasmic joy of a perfectly fitted screw and driver that will probably break your wrist before it cams out
>>
>>1029235
NO ITEMS
FOX ONLY
>>
>>1029292
security philips... science has in fact gone too far...
>>
>>1029143

>torx
>jeep

I feel ya
>>
File: consumer repors 2015.jpg (223KB, 750x856px) Image search: [Google]
consumer repors 2015.jpg
223KB, 750x856px
>>1029304
>>1029143
>FCA
>blames the design of the fasteners
>>
what's wrong with phillips
>>
>>1029306
It can't handle high torque
>>
surprised that nobody has mentions the square ones idk what they are called but i just put down a trex deck a few months ago and fell in love with how well the screws will sit on the tip. that being said torx fucking rock for wood screws use them all the time instead of phillips
>>
>>1029305

Fuck off with that. My Jeep is a 1995 with 275,000 miles on it and runs great.

There's only 2 issues with the torx on there:

1) I wish they'd of been more consistent and used them all around instead of some torx and some phillips. Switching drivers and bits just messes with work flow.

2) there are 2 torx head bolts at the top of the bell housing when the rest are standard hex heads and those 2 torx are extremely difficult to get to without dropping the trans.
>>
>>1029317

>robertson

they've been mentioned many times here
>>
so many different heads
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Common_types
>>
>>1029322
oh ok ty
>>
>>1029124
I use torx mostly for battlebots, I've removed a few after half the head was taken off.
>>
>>1029321
>275,000 miles
>On a jeep
So that's where all the goverment subsidizing has gone!
That's what, at least 7 trillion dollars of gasoline?

I own a Wrangler, considerably newer than a 1995, but I like to think they've improved the gas mileage. I almost make enough money to pay for the gas it takes to get to drive to work with merely a 6 figure paycheck.
Imagine!
>>
>>1029317
I too like how my screw sits on my tip
>>
>>1029338

Considering I paid $1400 in cash for it in 2008 and my insurance is only $40/month I could hardly care less about the cost of gas.
>>
>>1029302
easily defeated with a slotted screwdriver
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 600x364px)
image.jpg
55KB, 600x364px
The reason people think slotted is the worst drive is because it requires the most thought and effort to use correctly.

When it comes to torque transfer, slotted drive best drive.

>hollow ground master race
>>
>>1029172
>buy tools from pure chinesium
>buy products from pure chinesium
>complain that they are shit
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 1000x1000px
>>1029163
Anyone with $10 and a Home Depot.
>>
i just did some math

guess what type of bolt head cant strip it self out
by using the wrong size driver( of the same set/series)??
examples
t10 in a t15
ph3 in ph2 bolt

options are:

robertson
phillips
slot
hex metric allencap
torx
hex imperial allencap

the answer may shock you,
when you realize your screws are shit
>>
>>1029683
If you round a Robertson head with a smaller bit, you still have the edges to hit with the right size bit.
>>
>>1029683
>hex metric allencap
>hex imperial allencap

Boys we got ourselves an autist.
>>
>>1029306
it cams out too easily.
>>
>>1029729
I've found that drivers/bits with the "anti-camout ribs" make a HUGE difference. I mainly use a Snap-on ratcheting driver with Zephyr ACR Phillips bits, and second to that Williams fixed drivers which also have the ACR ribs, and both of them make it almost effortless to not slip out even when torquing down. I was absolutely amazed at the difference compared to my old Snap-on driver without the ACR ribs.

Torx is nice, though. With any drive type, quality bits/drivers can make all the difference.
>>
>>1029196
so, hex is worse because you ameribongo use inches from medieval times instead of real units?
>>
>>1029225
>JIS screw driver set is a MUST
you can just use philips m8
>>
>>1029246
she doesn't use them senpai
>>
the answer is

METRIC hex allen cap screws
the hex sizes are so perfect
that one will not strip another because every size has enough clearance to rotate freely and not engage the head at all

>>1029699
that may be but it will still damage head

>>1029701
it makes a difference though

the math confirms that an imperial allen key set can strip it self out
>>
>>1029748
Oh THATS what you were babbling about. I guess that's cool.
>>
>>1029199
b-but threads are supposed to be dry senpai
>>
[spoiler]>>1029230
This, but with a grain of salt.
The /DIY/ fastener battleground will always be littered with stripped mating faces and broken drivers, but hex will always run the course. Essentially the only problem with Robertson is that like a U-Joint the torque transfer on the mating faces climbs and falls too erratically. Having too many faces would need closer tolerances and hinder production costs to prevent stripping (or make it impossible).
It's not an engineering mystery, every application has it's own needs and therefor it's best mating design. Think torx is cool? Build me a torx drywall gun and you will revolutionise the production industry that chooses philips for live-drive use. Think philips is cool? Manufacture a philips driver tip that can drive 3" deck screws into lumber on an impact all day and... well you've got a shitty Robertson driver.
Anyways, the main point to consider about fastener drive by any manufacturer if they want anyone to be able to actually use it (something other than just manufacturing the thing in the first place) is what kind of angle the tooling will have in regards to the fastener. If it's going to be done by cousin Jeb in camp fire light in the bush it needs to be able to take a lot of incorrect angle (torx). If it's a surgeon who's got training in how to best apply the force to the tool (T-handle) because someone's wellbeing depends on it then any close tolerance vertical face system will work (even Robertson if tightly machined).
The sad fact of the matter is that the majority of fastener love/hate comes from the fact of how cheaply they can be manufactured. Even philips variants can be amazing if the fastener and driver are of outstanding quality, locking the bit inwards and fighting off Jeb's attempts at driving from an incorrect angle because "dem unemployed forearms".
>>
>>1029143
>I buy chinese tools: the post
>>
All the Motorola's use torx heads, and even when you use the right size bit, they still strip out, because the screws are made of a material more shitty than chinesium. I would much prefer if they were 00 Philips like what everyone else uses or square bits.
>>
>>1029290
Wiha is a weird way to spell PB Swiss
>>
>>1029172
No decent hex key would do this

spend moar
>>
>>1029859
Ahhh PB Swiss, th company that makes Snap On look like Harbor Freight. The Festool of hand tools. Some day I'll get a second mortgage to afford a Phillips screwdriver.
>>
>>1029736
You probably use Phillips drivers on Pozidrive screws too, you fucking hamfist neophyte.
>>
>>1029172
>uses shitty tools
>blames the fastener
>calls Phillips "cross"
>>
>>1029429
>When it comes to torque transfer

For fuck's sake, why do people keep thinking this? It's the WORST at high torque because there's much less contact between the driver and screw head, meaning less material has to deform for the screw to give. It doesn't matter that it has to give MORE for the head to slip, because once it fails, it stops providing any structural integrity. Its only saving grace is that the slot can go to the very edge of the screw, forming a longer lever arm to the middle of the head. But that isn't nearly enough to make up for for the substantial increase in useful contact area every other driver type.

The absolute best design (in semi-common use) for high torque is exterior hex. A large amount of material needs to fail before the screw strips, and the mating surfaces are as far away as possible from the center of the screw. There is the slight downside of requiring a fairly close fit to avoid rounding over, but it's not like that's unique to hex, anyway.

The only one better than exterior hex is exterior spline. But, of course, those are well into "specialty" screw territory, and with a price to boot.

I'd take Phillips over slotted any day, and THAT'S saying something. At least those can self-center.
>>
File: 1458262091104.jpg (114KB, 1200x800px)
1458262091104.jpg
114KB, 1200x800px
>>1029124
>2016
>using jew screws
>>
File: awwyeah.jpg (96KB, 858x536px)
awwyeah.jpg
96KB, 858x536px
>>1029789

>and fighting off Jeb's attempts at driving from an incorrect angle because "dem unemployed forearms".
>>
>>1029435
>>1029875
>>1029912

I don't actually even know where you'd get tools that shitty.

I bought basically the cheapest hex wrench set I could find, specifically for a few sizes I needed but didn't have. Seems to be this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Wrench-Hex-Key-30PC-Set-Metric-and-SAE-Standard-Short-Long-Steel-/401069030090?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item5d6193baca:g:CKAAAOSwPc9WukMx

Never had an issue with any of them...
>>
>>1029143
#torch
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 236x187px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 236x187px
>>1029917
If that was true than why is this drive literally called "hi-torque". It's just a modified slotted drive.
>>
>>1030038
The answer is "branding", not function. It's shallow and barely deeper than a Dzus fastener, hence its lack of use.
>>
>>1029172
>I have had entire allen keys fucking bend and shear off while trying to replace parts on a bike

I don't buy shit Allen keys and do stop well before any fastener strips to apply proper stuck fastener removal-fu.
>>
>>1029199
>the wheels were practically welded to the hubs because nobody at the factory thought to wipe and oiled rag over the mating surfaces, which then corroded together because they are dissimilar metals

Anti-seize is my friend, and now that I take apart things I installed thirty years ago I'm glad it's been a LONG friendship. A light wipe on hubs (after a fast cleanup with emery cloth if they have severe rust) certainly pays off.
>>
File: 1316731957839.jpg (273KB, 500x579px)
1316731957839.jpg
273KB, 500x579px
>>1030038

Because there's a difference between "high torque" and "Hi-Torque®".
>>
File: hex-cap-screws.jpg (22KB, 404x203px)
hex-cap-screws.jpg
22KB, 404x203px
doesnt matter if slot is the highest torque or what ever

because you cant use a torque wrench on it so it doesnt matter for shit, except for that faggot "hi-torque" shit from above
>>
>>1030047
Interesting how C has such a tiny hex...
>>
>>1030038
how can it be high torque when it will cam out unless you apply over 9000 newtons of downward force
>>
>>1030052
its the standard convention for hez head screws. because the countersunk screw has a shallower head than a normal capscrew so to keep the screw head from breaking off they have to use smaller hex

the iso formula for hex heads is something like 1.6 x/ diameter depending if its external or not

an M6 bolt will have
10mm external hex head
5mm socket head cap screw
4mm for a buttonhead cap screw
3mm for countersunk(flat) head cap screw and setscrew

imperial threads have a similar standard, but with a different formula
>>
>>1030052
Countersunk screws mean less supporting material.
Obviously the best in plain torque is D and F, and D if you enjoy making things countersunk.
You could do it with F, if you're a masochist I guess.
>>
>>1029166
Even if you are rich, you never have one or the right one when you need it.
>>
>>1030116
You're right, I had to go dig through my toolbox to find the correct one. So hard.
>>
File: hexlove.png (72KB, 852x671px) Image search: [Google]
hexlove.png
72KB, 852x671px
>b-but it could be metric or imperial hex drive
>50% chance of getting the right hex

hex is based
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 450x450px
>>1030116
8 - 40 in one convenient handle.
>>
>>1029163
the same guy repairing Nintendo consoles and fast food toys for a hobby

me
>>
>>1029305
HA!
I have three Fiats. Shit.
Thankfully also one MB and one Toyota...
>>
>>1029163
>who owns torx screwdrivers
I see you haven't done much interior work on newer automobiles.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.