[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I'm struggling to find information on how to create

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: HOW.png (375KB, 830x778px) Image search: [Google]
HOW.png
375KB, 830x778px
Hey guys, I'm struggling to find information on how to create a shape like this.

I'm an apprentice sheetmetal worker and I'm currently trying to make a smoke extractor for my forge. I've asked my tafe lecturers and the other guys at my work but they either don't know or don't care so I'm asking here.

I want to basically make a 45 degree angle range hood that looks roughly like the picture. It would consist of 4 sides and a top with no bottom to create a range hood style thing that I can attach onto my bastardised fume extractor to hang above my forge.

I have no idea what you would even call this so I haven't been able to find any information. I'd like to learn how to work this out manually on paper so any information or formulas would be great. (No calculators please.)

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.
>>
Heres my forge if any ones interested.
>>
Sorry.. I completely missed out the specific question. I have tried this before just cutting at 45 but it didn't fit up (obviously). I'm looking for a way to calculate the specific angle needed to have the sides join up if say I know I want the perimeter of the bottom to be 600mm x 800mm.

I want to make the sides 45 degrees so I would just
>>
/po/ should be able to help you. They work with paper, not metal, but the principle is the same.
>>
>>1028888
Ah, Good idea.
I'll ask there then. Thanks!
>>
>>1028877
Maths incoming.

http://benkrasnow.blogspot.com/2008/09/determining-proper-angles-to-cut.html

http://jansson.us/jcompound.html

Alternately, spend an hour learning how to use any of the free CAD programs, like Sketchup. You can then break apart each face into a 2D object and get measures and angles off your model.

Alternately alternately, scale cardboard mockup. Brute force it till it is right. Pattern off of it.
>>
>>1028892
Compound angles!
Awesome! I have been meaning to learn a design software sometime so I may do that. But I like manually doing things on paper at the moment.

Thanks heaps man.
>>
>>1028877
1 piece or 2 piece and what are rough dimensions or at least what are you looking for
>>
I did it on paper, let's say you have a maltese cross of some kind, what is the angle between the leaves? 19.5 degrees.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.