[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting sand into a crawlspace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 20160726_082450.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160726_082450.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Riddle me this /diy/:
I need to put 5-10 cubic yards of sand into a 2' crawlspace, through a hole that measures 15"x24"(pic related).

I was going to build a chute and just rake all day but now I have nobody to bucket load. The worst part is I have a major back injury so I can only haul a couple pails before I'm in agony.

I was considering hiring some salvation army guys but I'd really rather spend the money on a rig with diy's guidance in design.
Any ideas?
>>
OP here, having googled my problem more thoroughly I have discovered I need pea gravel instead of sand. Also need to dig out about 6"-12" of mud. If anyone has tips for digging clay out of a crawlspace it would be much appreciated
>>
Could you build an archimides screw so you don't have to lift the gravel?
>>
>>1028423
Conveyer belt might work, but you'd have to build it for that specific job. Make it so it runs both ways, you can use it to haul out the mud then deposit the pea gravel. If it were to swing back and forth that would be easiest, but nothing about this job is going to be easy. I'd almost consider digging it deeper as long as you're digging. You'd have room to work to pea gravel better, and better access to any electrical or plumbing that are running through the crawl space. Good luck OP.
>>
>>1028803
I don't think I could build a functioning one. I think they still use them for grain though, I'm going to try to find a small one that could handle gravel.
>>1028808
I'm wary of digging it any deeper than that because my foundation is already in 4 pieces. I put angle steel at every crack but it's going to always need maximum support. The center of the area also has my main sewer pipe and it's a piece of cast from 1950 so it also needs max support. I could try a series of pits, but my concern there is pooling of water. Maybe pits with sloped trenches...
>>
>>1028841

You seriously think with your fucked up back you can actually accomplish any part of this? Hire laborers at home depot to do shit work, that's what they're there for.
>>
>>1028808
Good idea IMO, and you can buy used conveyor with some searching.

You don't need belt conveyor, you can use sections of roller conveyor and bins if you have low rails to keep them centered. A small electric winch would handle the bin or bins if you attach an eyebolt.

>Could you build an archimedes screw so you don't have to lift the gravel?

A grain auger will clog with mud, take a lot of power to drive, and will be a motherfucker to retrieve when it fails.

With a back injury I still wouldn't fuck with it unless you have plenty of time and perform each action slowly. My back is fucked too so that's my normal strategy. One bin a day is still 365/year. Your call.
>>
>>1028929
The plan was to just be under the house, my back only fucks up when I'm bending down. I live in canada we don't have Mexicans at home Depot; we have natives that don't work even if you offer beer.
>>
>>1028932
Roller conveyor would be excellent but I'd have no way to dump the bins if I'm out of the crawlspace. I think the best way might be to just hire teenagers or something.
>>
How about a pneumatic conveyor? With a little modification a shop vac could work. I'm sure someone has come up with a DIY pneumatic conveyor though. Google it. I'm too lazy.
>>
>>1029259
Also if you go with this idea I suggest a respirator. You don't need Silicosis to go along with your fucked up back.
>>
>>1028423
Is the mud soupy? If not, add water and make it thin enough to pump. Make sure you have a catchment so you're not just dumping it all over your yard. Rig a raw water pump or an eductor and suck the mud right on out of there.

As far as the pea gravel, see if you can set up some kind of a spray rig. Gas powered leaf blower, couple of lengths of shop vac hose, some kind of pick up tube.
>>
>>1029259
You could do that for sand but pea gravel would wear the device down way before the job was done.
>>1029300
Definitely had this idea before. I actually dug a test hole, filled it with water and kept trying to mix it up with a plaster mixing attachment. The result was a drill handle in the face, reason being my town is built on a drained marsh. The clay is super dense for ~16', then it's a limestone bench.

If anyone in here has any engineering experience I had an idea. What if I used a u-shaped heavy equipment blade with weight on it, then scraped the mud by pulling it with a hand or come along winch? I actually work in an equipment blade plant.
>>
>>1028799
In WW1 they Brits used a special shovel for undermining the German trenches to plant bombs under them, it was shaped in such a way that you could easily use it laying down, you might want something like this in such a confined space.
>>
>>1029333
Did it look like pic? They call them track shovels now, that's a good call anon. I used to run heavy equipment I can't believe I forgot about track shovels
>>
If you raked and bucket loaded you can use a cheap boat winch to lift pails. I use one to get roof coating etc atop my shipping container. Fab a crude jib crane or buy a truck mounted one and back up close to your hole.

A hoe can move a lot of mud. I welded a long pipe to one of mine after breaking the handle chopping roots. It's great for keeping small drainage trenches open.

Since your crumbling foundation, poor drainage and tiny crawl space access will remain permanent problems I'd consider how to build a MUCH larger entrance with more than adequate support like a very heavy steel frame. Steel is fucking wonderful and if you look out for large I-beams you might use them for house support in the future.

Instead of trying to do a heart transplant through the end of your penis, what are other options? If I had a Basement of Doom I'd damn well have larger access.
>>
>>1030094
Yea I think I should make an access from inside the house instead of cutting the foundation to increase the hole. I could probably come up with a lifting rig.
The hoe idea would be good but I destroyed one down there already.
>>
>>1028423
This a retarded idea, but have you considered modifying a pressure washer? If water can be shoved through it at high speeds, perhaps you can shove sand through it at a lower speed without too much trouble, assuming you have some mechanical knowhow. I've never tried, but I think it would be possible. Alternatively, maybe a sand blaster would get the job done with some mods.

I've never used either device, so I'm assuming both would not be terribly effective, but if you are seriously worried about fucking up your back any worse and don't have the funds to hire a professional, it might be your best shot.

As far as hiring outside help, I saw that you don't have any Mexicans in Canada. Don't you guys have a bunch of Asians coming in to the west coast by boat? I would think there are a few illegals that would want Maple Syrup Money. If you're nowhere near the coasts, you could try hiring some neighborhood kids. If you're out in the sticks though, you might just be fucked. Maybe craigslist?
>>
>>1030383
>If water can be shoved through it at high speeds, perhaps you can shove sand through it at a lower speed without too much trouble, assuming you have some mechanical knowhow

Instant pump death.
>>
>>1030171
A house access could be great. You could easily come up with any number of lifting rigs capable of lifting more than you need.

I don't lift shit. That's why I'm a mechanic.

Example:
You can buy a common folding engine hoist at any auto store.
Hang an inexpensive electric winch off the thing and if you like, extend the pendant to below grade. Connect your bin, press the button, up goes the bin or bucket.

Common small hoists will pick the arm and head off a Bridgeport mill so yer bucket of wet sand is nothing. If you prefer speed you can use a pulley and rope because you can certainly pull with a bad back and since it deloads the back it can feel good. (Depends on injury, but it works for me.)

Your bucket or bin doesn't need wheels if you place it on a wagon or dolly to take it outdoors.
>>
>>1030171
>The hoe idea would be good but I destroyed one down there already.

Fab a stronger hoe, perhaps with a T or ring handle for forceful pulling. Ain't shit to a hoe.
>>
>>1028423
Use a mechanics creeper with a flat plastic tub on it.
>>
>>1028423
Hire mexicans.
Seriously man some things aren't worth it.
>>
>>1028423
Build a simple cyclonic dust separator. Suck it full of sand and then just empty the container full of said sand. The container is of course under your house...
>>
>>1031321
Came here to say "shopvac" + flexible irrigation pipe.

I like you.
>>
>>1028423
Why can't you just buy your sand or gravel in bags small enough to fit through your opening?
>>
File: ClayKicking.jpg (63KB, 640x341px) Image search: [Google]
ClayKicking.jpg
63KB, 640x341px
>>1029333
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel#Clay-kicking
http://westernfrontassociation.com/the-great-war/great-war-on-land/general-interest/888-clay-kickers.html
>>
>>1031420
You don't buy 5 yards of sand or clean stone in bags, you buy a truckload.
>>
>>1031321
The issue with a shop vacation is the stone (see>>1028799) will destroy the hose before the job is done. I have experienced this already.
>>1030467
The hoe I wrecked was homemade, it was 1/2"x4" rebar welded to a 1/8" plate and the I bent the fucking rebar. If I use anything stronger I won't be able to pull the mud, it'll just be stuck.
>>
>>1030637
There are no cheap Mexicans in manitoba. Might try salvation army or whatever my local equivalent is.
>>
>>1031441
Genuinely interesting
>>
>>1031745
>You don't buy 5 yards of sand or clean stone in bags, you buy a truckload.
And then ideally you would dump it or shovel it out.
Ops situation is not ideal. Rather than rig up some kind of contraption, I'm merely suggesting he takes that truckload of sand and bags it up so that it can be passed through to the crawl space.
I'm sure it's more work, but trying to make a chute or machine to move the material sounds way more complicated.
>>
>>1029767
Better off with something like a collapsible trench shovel. They don't move anymore dirt than the tile spade you pictured, but they're way easier to work with in confined spaces. Tile spades are really only good for chopping and shaving dirt. You need another tool to get it out.

I dunno what exasperates your back in particular. But if a conveyor isn't workable. You could try making a rolling cart with a rope, or even a rope and pulley system to bring loads of gravel / mud in and out. If you can figure the math on a pulley system, you can make moving the material fairly effortless. Maybe even hook a motor or bicycle to it.
>>
>>1031746
Hm. What's with the mud? Wasn't it sand?
Maybe you make your cyclonic separator's inlet hose instead a pipe? Steel.
And the inlet tube is in a big buckety thing from where it sucks it up from the bottom.
Then you take your spade and fill the container on the outside.
Crawl under your house and turn on the sucker, fill the cyclonic separator and tip it over.
>>
StoneSlingers work with sand too.
>>
>>1028423
Use pipes and water. Something like 5-6 inch sewer pipe and lot of water. The water will transport the sand and compact it.
>>
File: image518082x.jpg (24KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
image518082x.jpg
24KB, 620x350px
>>1028423
Just hire some young dudes to do it
>>
>>1031747
Holy shit you love in Manitoba and have a dirt crawl space that's not encapsulated?

How do your pipes not freeze? Your heating bills through the roof?
>>
>>1028932
>One bin a day is still 365/year.
Er... it's a leap year.
>>
>>1028423
Get some of your neighbours teenage kids on summer holiday to do it for you for a bit of cash. Just watch them while they do it to make sure they don't fuck up.
>>
>>1031746
>The hoe I wrecked was homemade, it was 1/2"x4" rebar welded to a 1/8" plate and the I bent the fucking rebar. If I use anything stronger I won't be able to pull the mud, it'll just be stuck.

Rebar is too flexy at that diameter and is designed for manual bending on job sites.

I use 1" pipe on my hoe handle. Doesn't weigh much and you could weld a T-handle of same pipe for pulls.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.