[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright fam, what should I do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1922.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1922.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
Hi /diy/

recently my friend and I built this desk, and by my friend and I built it, I mean he built it and i just sat there supplying him with coffee and holding things while he throws an autistic fit.

anyways, im not sure what I should do for a stain or lacquer for the desk, I want it to look nice but be durable at the same time. thoughts?

im thinking Dark Walnut, English Chestnut, or Red Oak stain. im going to be painting the underside of the desk black.

I posted over on /g/ and one person mentioned that I could use Danish Oil, anyone here have any experience with it?
>>
>>1028294
you should do.... All of them
>>
Sand
Wipe down with mineral spirits
Pre stain conditioner
Danish oil or stain
Wipe on poly or some wipe on blend
Light high grit sanding between coats

Read all products and follow all directions

Danish oil or stain will basically do the same thing, color the wood. I like the way Danish oil looks more, but either will look good if done right. Polyurethane will protect the wood and stain. Use a wipe on poly unless you're good with a paint brush. Wipe on will give you an even coat, but will take more coats to build up. I prefer wipe on because it's easy. You could blend polyurethane 50/50 with mineral spirits and get a good result, or use a blend in 3rds of poly, boiled linseed oil, and mineral spirits. The latter looks really good on good woods but also can take over 2 weeks to fully cure, for yours I'd just do poly and mineral spirits.

Any varnish will work, but poly will take more abuse, although lacquer would probably be a better looking varnish it takes several weeks to cure, can be brittle, and won't necessarily look that much better for the trade off.

If you want a semi gloss finish start with clear gloss and only use semi gloss on the last coat, makes the finish less cloudy.

Practice patience, follow directions, and test a discrete area to make sure you're happy with the way it looks before doing the whole thing.
>>
>>1028514
Also, when I say wipe down with mineral spirits, make sure it's completely clean. Dust, dirt, grime and even the oil from your skin will make parts of the finish look horrible, and it won't be noticeable til near the end. I ALWAYS wear nitrile gloves that I clean off with whatever solvent I'm using before I touch whatever I'm finishing.

You can find more info, good, bad and otherwise online by looking up "finishing wood"
>>
There is no leg space under that desk... are you a midget by any chance? Also, no real room to do anything other than vidya as you filled it with your tower for some damn reason. Which also has no real good way to vent now. Fuck you.
>>
>>1028518
I'm with this guy, that desk looks uncomfortable as fuck
>>
>>1028294

NICE BASEMENT, NECKBEARD!
>>
>>1028684
I have a basement? good to know
where is it? it gets hot in my room, i'd like to move down there so its much cooler
>>
>>1028518
>>1028524
no im not a midget, there's enough leg space for me anyways, and i never planned on making this desk for anything other than my gaymer stuff.
and the PC has enough space all around it to vent just fine.
>>
>>1028514
>>1028517
thanks senpai,
>>
>>1029016
You could throw on a keyboard drawer, that would make it just right IMO
>>
>>1029020
i have a somewhat bad back, so i kind of slouch back with the chair, the armrests on the chair come up just under the bottom of the table when i lean back but allow me to move the chair freely.

i was thinking about it and we kind of mocked it up to see if it would work, but it didnt unfortunately.
>>
>>1029345
>I slouch
>I have a bad back
Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>1029518
i've had back problems all my life.
>slouching doesnt help
neat.
>>
>>1028294

>>1028514
What this guy said. I'd recommend giving it a touch with ultra fine steel wool and then using teak oil as a finish, maybe cover it with poly.

T E A K O I L
E
A
K
O
I
L
>>
>>1028514
>>1029973

I have a bunch of pieces of left over pieces of the plywood used to make the desk, I can cut test pieces to see how it looks.

my dad just finished staining a bench he made for out at the lake, i liked the colour of that stain so I might use it, I just cant remember off the top of my head why type, though I think it was an oil based stain. Looked really nice.

i'll need to see what teak oil looks like, before i make up my mind.
>>
File: 1449206224416.jpg (107KB, 470x705px) Image search: [Google]
1449206224416.jpg
107KB, 470x705px
>>1028294

Please post more pics, from different angles. I'm drawing up some desk plans and I like what I'm seeing here.
>>
Looks uncomfortable and ugly.
>>
>>1031033
i did somewhat of a build-log i'll post those pics for you senpai
>>
>>1031033
>>
>>1031102
>>
>>1031033
i'll also post other pictures too, just needa wait for my camera to recharge so i dont take potato pictures like my phone does.
>>
>>1031103
>>
>>1031106
>>
>>1031107
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.