[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hanging beds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: hanging-home-bed-designs.jpg (239KB, 468x575px) Image search: [Google]
hanging-home-bed-designs.jpg
239KB, 468x575px
Hi /diy/. I'm moving in my new appartment and I'm thinking of having a hanging bed in my new bedroom. Right now, I'm wondering how to know if the room will bear the weight. Does anyone have one? Some tips ?
>>
>apartment
It will not. Full stop. You need specific reinforcement for this shit, and its always easier to add shit like this in the joists of a house you own.

Make a steel frame for this that rests on the ground, like a hammock frame.
>>
>>1028216
Why an apartment ceiling wouldn't be able to bear it? If I put the weight on several points, wouldn't it work? I've seen drywall ceiling anchors, isn't it enough?

The whole point is for it not to rest on the ground, I would like to be able to change the height of the bed in order to free some space.
>>
>>1028219
If you live in some rustic timber framed apartment with exposed beams, should be good to go.

Also, if you or your loved ones are about to roll into a bed that you anchored into drywall ceiling, please film it for all of us to enjoy.
>>
>>1028229

>"well, I don't think we'll be getting that security deposit back"
>>
>>1028219
>drywall anchors
No. Not only are they not meant for strenuous loads or loads that shift, they are meant to be parallel with the floor, gravity will pull them out if they're up or down. You can pull one out with the screw buried in it with pliers. I put the screw halfway in and pull them out by hand when I'm patching holes before painting. They're wonderful for hanging stuff on walls, not supporting a moving several hundred pound bed with people on it.

You'd need to use lag screws to anchor them to joists, or carriage bolts. More than likely you'd use heavy duty lag screws with eyelets. I wouldn't do it in an apartment, I wouldn't want to do it at all though . They hold the weight of everything on top of them, and now you're adding more weight pulling them down.
>>
>>1028219
>drywall ceiling anchors

No.
>>
>>1028219
>drywall ceiling anchors
Yes. Do it now.
>>
File: 4L_RolIFPcU.jpg (121KB, 1300x892px) Image search: [Google]
4L_RolIFPcU.jpg
121KB, 1300x892px
>>1028219
With the normal sized drywall anchors, use about 6 for every 100lbs weight it will support.

If you get the heavy duty ones, you can get away with 3 for every 100lbs.
>>
>>1028385
with a dynamic human load, the safety factor is to use a load of 10x of what it will support. so for a 100lb mattress and frame and 2 200lb people, you want to have the ceiling able to support 5klbs.
the right way to do this is to open up the ceiling, add additional reinforcing joists to the ones there, add a thick metal plate on top of them to spread the weight point, then use a thick eyebolt through with a locknut and lock washer and mark how much it sticks through the the ceiling so you can notice when it starts to unscrew.
alternatively, built a frame for it inside the room.
>>
>>1028385
Sorry, just because the fixing is rated x amount of weight doesn't mean the plaster board or the screws holding it up are.

Most plasterboard anchors are rated when used at 90 degrees to the floor. Not parallel to.

As to OP, you're playing with fire. I'm going to presume it's rented seeing as you said apartment so playing around with anything structural will probably void your tenancy agreement and insurance.

Not to mention the fact it's evident you're clueless about what you're doing.
>>
>>1028187
this guy right here
>>1028229
i mean look at the pic you posted OP
in the 2 pics where the ceiling can be seen you can also see the wooden beams in where the bed is surely attached to. Anything below is russian roulette everytime you go to bed
>>
>>1028187
Lemme comment on OP's pic for a moment:
upper-left corner: thin matresses laid on a hard flat surface: if you are ~20 years old you can sleep quite well on a pile of bricks, but this is not going to work if you are 30+ years old.
upper-right corner and lower half of picture: neither of these is good, for the same reason that a hammock is never really good for sleeping in.... If you sleep on your back, then your knees get bent hyperextended and they hurt when you get up. If you sleep on your side or your stomach, then your knees are okay but your spine gets curved badly and your back will ache when you wake up.

Thin mattresses are great for having sex on but they're terrible for sleeping on.

As for OP's question: a typical (USA) apartment building won't have anywhere solid enough, to insert anchors strong enough, to attach a hanging bed from.
You could build a frame and hang it from that, but for the earlier reasons I'd still say it's a poor idea.
>>
>>1028219
>drywall anchors
>to support a hanging bed
Nice one OP, made me kek
>>
>>1028219
Don't listen to these faggots, anchoring it into drywall is perfectly fine. Post some pictures of it too.
>>
4" #12 screws and a stud finder.
Sort it out OP
>>
>>1028219

>drywall anchors

It's a troll lads, pack it up and go home
>>
what if you could pull up the bed , when not needed.
>>
>>1028216
Check your lease and the apartment construction before you wreck the ceiling.

It's not worth my time explaining why most ceilings won't do what you want. Google will take care of that and I don't feel like typing a book.

A stand will produce hangy comfort and free all but a few square inches of space under your bed. You don't need those few square inches. I use one for my hammock which I like many people prefer to a conventional bed.

Hammocks are great. They are better than the beds in the pics, particularly that stupid hipster round thing held up by a spider web.

Hammocks are cheap, light, compact, easy to clean, and when you gangbang your menstruating hambeast mom with your friends you can throw a hammock in the trash with less work and embarassment than dragging a blood-drenched fishstank mattress out the door in public.

Hammocks and hammock stands are easy, common /diy/ items and you can make them oversize if you are a lardass.

You can use Amsteel synthetic cord if you and hambeast weigh more than your car.
>>
>>1028219
>drywall ceiling anchors
It was funny enough when we got a bunch of dumbasses on /g/ to hang their computer components from their ceiling, only to have the ceiling crash down on them, but now you're going to be the one crashing.
>>
>>1028219

>drywall anchors

no offense man but I dont think building shit is for you lol. might wanna find a new hobby or some friends that are good with this shit
>>
>>1028187
>Structural changes to the joists in the house

nigga kiss your deposit goodbye
>>
>>1028385
You know when drywall anchors become really fun?
When they get wet.

Your landlord will cornhole you so fucking hard
>>
>>1028397
OP is clearly one of those dummies that just goes for ridiculous shit without really thinking it through
>my apartment ceiling is gonna support a mattress and bedframe and me and God forbid another person for 7+ hours each night, right?
>>
>>1028394
>5klbs

Please never do this again
>>
>>1033236
you've never worked in kilopounds?

god next thing you know you won't let us use centiounces or decatons either..
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.