[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tude ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Elektronenroehren-auswahl.jpg (500KB, 2468x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Elektronenroehren-auswahl.jpg
500KB, 2468x1200px
So i found a bunch of vacuum tubes in a tv repair box from my granddad. Today i'm bored and was wondering you you guys had any projects that use them. I will put the spesifics of the tubes i have if you guys want

i dont have the ones in pic i was too lazy to take a pic of them
>>
>>1027992
I too am interested. I got a few hundred myself.
>>
>>1028004
i guess we are the only ones
>>
Hipster tube amp. Amplifies hipsterism.

Use them for lighting a room. You'll probably need to cover the entire ceiling in them to get any usable light and it will be the most inefficient thing ever.
>>
>>1027992
build like 50 guitar amps
>>
>>1027992
there isn't really anything you can do with tv tubes other than repair old tv's
>>
>>1028163
this. You can get away with some shit building a nonlinear af guitar amp.

You could take a stab at a radio if you're up for lots of reading.

Maybe make a synth. Whatever weird oscillating it does, just act like it was intentional.
>>
>>1028182
TVs had audio circuits in them too. Some of these tubes will be suitable for amplifiers
>>
>>1027992
>>1028004
Post some part numbers. Also, throw them into google and see what each tube is, you'll have a better idea of what you can actually build if you know what tubes you have, Like any other component they have datasheets, go get 'em.
>>
TV cathode ray tubes can be overvolted to produce X-rays relatively easily.
Think the hard cut off point is 20kV.
You can rig up two microwave oven transformers the ,10:1 type, back to back to get the roughly these voltages, if you need to fine tune it get a variac made to operate in a shorted state, but this is usualy unnecessary.
With a bit of lead for shielding, aluminum as a soft xray filter, and a florescent lead coated screen the type old crt tvs use as a display you could make some dank real time X-ray photography and go down in DIY archives with bunker bro, imitation crab meat guy and DIY vacum tubes bro.
At least for a few seconds before your tubes explode with arcs of high voltage death lightning, your transformers catch fire, and you inevitably grow cancers the size of tennis balls in your testies
>>
Did you find any green glass in them?
>>
File: BC-0763-2020.jpg (132KB, 411x350px) Image search: [Google]
BC-0763-2020.jpg
132KB, 411x350px
>>1028333
Looks kinda like this.
>>
>>1027992
Take them over to /k/ and let them put them on a fence and shoot them. Then feed them to /mlp/ and post the video on /b/
>>
>>1028304
The third tube from right in OP's pic is/was much more common choice for an x-ray tube.

>>1028333
Importance of this?

>>1027992
Want to build some radios? Tuned RF and superregenerative receivers are pretty simple and superheterodyne receiver does not need many tubes either (but it is much more difficult to design/build).
Theremin would be another option, or maybe some simple high voltage generator built around the line output tube.
>>
>>1028182
>there isn't really anything you can do with tv tubes other than repair old tv's
not true.
most tubes you'll find in a random box will be RF tubes, but they can still be used for audio amps.
tubes are much less sensitive to voltage/current/frequency issues than transistors are, as long as no part of the tube is over its maximum dissipation rating
the gain and power outputs won't be nearly as high as with RF, but they still work at audio frequencies.

pentode tubes can be wired as triodes, tho they will have a lot of input capacitance (they will sound odd)

Some audio vacuum tubes do cost a lot of money; the 300b tubes for single-ended amps are all over $100 each, even for the low-end China and Russian ones.
Not all audio tubes are expensive tho.
A 12ax7 driving two EL84's in push-pull is a common 1960's-vintage audio circuit, and those tubes are fairly cheap. Low-end 12ax7's cost around $10 and el84's cost $14. There's fancy ones for $$$ but the basic ones are cheep.
Also a lot of modern tube guitar amps use cheaper tubes

FYI: {for most smaller tubes} the biggest cost of building a tube amp is not the tubes, it's the power and output transformers. The output transformer has to match the speaker's impedance to the final amplification tube's impedance, so you either gotta pay a place to make one that does that, or you have to wind one yourself. And winding decent transformers is kind of a bother.
So ya know,,,,,
if you are going to go to all the trouble of building the transformers yourself, you might as well go buy some real audio tubes.
>>
>>1028415
So, in short:
>You can shoehorn tv tubes to audio amps, but the results aren't really worth it.
>Small audio tubes aren't that expensive in comparison to transformers and shit, so if you want audio, better use real audio tubes.

Which, in practice, isn't that much different from what he said.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.