[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Glaswork

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (6KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 276x183px
I want to repair a rotation evaporator glastube. The nut where you can attach a tube is broken. It is made of boro 3.3 glas. Anyone can tell me how I have to proceed without destroying ist? These are pretty expensive. Wenn fooling around with other glas parts they broke upon heating them
>>
>>1027930
While waiting actual glassblowers...
1. Posting a pic of the actual broken part would serve you better than some random pic.
2. You could list your tools, since it's pretty likely that you are lacking something important (and expensive).
3. In addition to trying to fix it by yourself and buying a new thing, there's the option of paying a professional to fix it.
>>
>>1027930
you need to warm the tube, to bring it up to temperature, so then you can cut it with a torch. post pictures..

I am a beginner lampworker, I can help alittle
>>
File: 20160725_210256.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160725_210256.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
OP here. Pictures of the part I want to fix and materials
>>
File: 20160725_210323.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160725_210323.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
The broken part
>>
>>1028041
>>1028042
you need to warm both the apparatus and the piece you want to attach, than you need to take a small torch, heat the broken piece till it is about red hot, and mash it together.

then heat them both with the torch together
>>
>>1028043
Do I only need to heat the part of the aparatus where I want to fix it or the whole thing?
>>
>>1028041
Since it's snapped off so cleanly, you might also want to consider an epoxy kludge or something similar which does not involve melting glass.

>>1028043
Just in case you didn't notice: that cylindrical part is a glass stopcock with a ground glass joint. How is he going to avoid fucking it / what tools he needs to unfuck it?
>>
>>1028051
I tryed with an UV activated glue and also silicone. But as soon as solvent goes trough the glue gets disolved.

Good question, thanks bro and I'm good at fucking things
>>
File: DSC_2758.jpg (23KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2758.jpg
23KB, 640x426px
>>1027930
that's a nice drug manufacturing aparatus you got there. is it a felony where you live to own one without a license?

since that's a barbed connection, I assume you can connect something like a nitrile tube to it.

you can buy whatever solvent resistant rubber hose material and form a sort of rubber condom around the neck with a tube joined to it and use hose clamps to fix it in place.

nitrile is resistant to solvents like uhh ethanol and xylene. nylon is another choice. they make fuel lines out of the stuff. protip:it's hotglue. typically these things sit in an ice bath so i assume you can keep the temperatures down. just match the gasket material with the solvents you want to use.
>>
>>1028157
>that's a nice drug manufacturing aparatus you got there. is it a felony where you live to own one without a license?
Its free available here, I've it many years now

All your ideas would have been great. Should have try that first....But .... too late. I fucked it up... will have to buy a new condenser... fuck fuck
>>
You can't fix it unless you can control the rate it is both heated and cooled at.
>>
Borosilicate glasses melt at a lower temp than quartz if i recall. Id suggest an oven for preheating, then a torch for melting and fusing. Not sure about cooling procedure but I'd guess that you will want it to cool at >>1028336 a "reasonable" rate.

We wear welding tint glasses when we do quartz melting because the molten quartz is extremely bright and gives off a lot of UV light. I would look into this and be prepared; also its never a bad idea to keep a bucket of lime or sand nearby in case you have to get a sandbox margarita party going real quik
>>
>>1028212
If you just destroyed the stopcock, you still have that "pay a professional" option left.
>>
>>1028484
I first destroyed the stopcock and whike trying to fix it destroyed the whole upper part.... big cracks. I guess I heated to quick... I throw it away and buy a new one.... and I'll keep my fucking fingers off molten glass in future
>>
>>1028052
>But as soon as solvent goes trough the glue gets disolved.

Check manufacturers like 3M for chemical resistant adhesives.

This might be useful:

http://www.masterbond.com/properties/solvent-resistant-adhesives-sealants-and-coatings
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.