[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi i need some advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Raspberry_Pi_-_Model_A.jpg (223KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_-_Model_A.jpg
223KB, 600x600px
I want to build a mini portable PC using a raspberry pi as its core. Ah, ive also never done something like this though... I have a soldering kit and a lot of tools but i havent yet decided on what to buy as parts for it.

I know i could get like, a notebook or soemething but i wanna build something, have something to spend my time on this summer and also, i dont have the money to get a notebook.

Any advice?What do u think? is it lame or somehting? lemme know
>>
>>1027354
>i dont have the money to get a notebook.
You are going to be spending just as much to make a shitty laptop as you would to buy a good laptop
>>
>>1027354
The only thing you'll really wind up building is the case.

The raspi is pretty much plug'n'play once you image your SD card.
>>
check here. step by step complete with touch screen: I have one and it works great.
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-build-a-portable-hacking-station-with-a-raspberr-1739297918
>>
File: eggdance.gif (1MB, 256x175px) Image search: [Google]
eggdance.gif
1MB, 256x175px
>>1027354
>I know i could get like, a notebook or soemething but i wanna build something, have something to spend my time on this summer and also, i dont have the money to get a notebook.

It's great you have the time a…, erm mostly time to attempt at building a case and whatever.
Do listen to the other anons in this thread tough, you won't save any money at all.

Just snipe a good laptop on ebay. A raspberry is not a desktop computer, it's a sub-standard computer-on-module brick for low-energy embedded solutions.

If you plan to use it as a field-tool rather than for general purpose, then it's a whole different story.
The best route in that case would be still getting a sub-notebook and gutting it I imagine.
>>
Yeah, they're not wrong. The portable hack station is ~ $35 for the pi, $45 for the plug and play touch screen, and I think $40 for the case that will fit it all. Then a keyboard if you don't want to use in screen.
You can easily find a used laptop for your $120 - $150. Then again I will say it was fun building it. Killed a few hours at least.
>>
>>1027354
You need nothing more than an sd card writer a mouse keyboard and i.e. a hdmi monitor. It's already a complete computer
>>
That's true, but from the original post I think most of us assumed he was after something a little more portable.
>>
>>1027354
Wait till the end of this year and buy a udoo x86 for the core instead of a raspberry pi.
>>
>>1027354
Buy a used ThinkPad if you want something reasonably powerful/upgradable/useful/runs linux smoothly. x201, x220, something like that. $200. $250?

I know it's what >>>/g/ always recommends, but I went for it when I had almost the same problem and am very pleased (needed anything portable to throw around, tight-ish budget, got way more than bargained for).

However, I do wish you luck on your Pi machine should you build it. They're okay as media machines, something slightly above what you'd use a tablet for. Like others have said, wouldn't recommend for serious work. Not enough processing power or RAM.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.