[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why No MDF Doors?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: door.jpg (8KB, 236x306px) Image search: [Google]
door.jpg
8KB, 236x306px
A questions to all the carpenters and furniture makers out there. Why are almost all doors made of Particle Board?

Is it even technically possible to create doors made completely out of MDF? If yes, what are the advantages and disadvantages of doing so?

How does MDF compare to particle board, when it comes to holding the long screws for the hinges? (screws L=10cm)
>>
>>1027106
Because a solid MDF door would weigh a 1000lbs.
>>
>>1027110

No, it wouldn't. An 8cm thick 1mx2m door made completely out of mdf would weigh 160kg, most heavy duty hinges can hold that with ease.
>>
>>1027114
>160kg

So what would be the benefit of this, exactly?
>>
>>1027116

Easier to work with, better sound protection, easier to paint. especially when it is profiled.
>>
Mdf is for furniturefags who are to retarded to use proper wood.

Also mdf works more than wood door will bend within a year and fuckup the hinges.

Particle board doors will do just fine indoors lightweight pros from mdf when it comes to paint.
Pros from wood when it comes to working.

Use massive wood if you need a solid door not mdf,
Its might just werk but generally it's a pain in the ass when the screws start to get loose in the hinges..
>>
>>1027110
It wouldn't be any heavier than solid oak doors.

>>1027116
Thick heavy doors used in the interior buildings are often part of a fire strategy. Some doors are sold with certified fire ratings, 30/60 minute doors, a given burn time to stop fire spreading.

>>1027106
More than likely, cost. MDF as cheap as it is, is more expensive than veneered particle board or cardboard wafer.
>>
>>1027126

Whats about the rumor, that MDF warps if used in door construction? In my training i learned that MDF does only move at 1/10th of the rate of wood, so I find that highly unlikely.

And what about the hinges, just because they are certified to hold a weight of 160Kg, does not mean, that the screw, even if it is 10cm long wont break out of the MDF
>>
>>1027136
MDF for door construction is a generally bad idea I'd think, but just the way most doors are designed, I'd imagine it wouldn't just be a sheet of MDF cut out to be a door, there would be some hard wood edging to give the door rigidity and screws would hold better in that.
>>
>>1027106
MDF can't hold a screw. How are you going to attach hinges to it? Constant opening and closing, let alone slamming. The attachment points for the screws would go to shit in a matter of months.
>>
>>1027192
this.
>>
>>1027106
If the question is can it be built, yes, very likely, with excellent sound dampening ability and over all strength and fire resistance.
If the question is, can you personally build it, not likely w.o being a carpenter/engineer
>>
It's possible, but why?

Hollow core doors are fine and budget friendly, about $100-$150

You can get solid core hardwood doors for as low $220 that look pretty nice.

There wouldn't be enough cost savings. Functionally it would work the same, but it would still need to be edge banded by wood, like >>1027192 said mdf doesn't hold screws well, it would be incredibly heavy and see a lot of use.

People don't use these types of doors for extreme sound proofing, and if they did they'd use 2 with an air gap between them with a rubber seal around the opening. If it was in a laboratory setting you wouldn't see something that you could find at a home center, such as this. Them being solid would still allow sound(especially lower frequencies) to resonate through.

Them being more resistant to fire is negligible, if that's a concern solid wood and steel doors would be used. You can get a hollow core steel door for around as low as $200.

As for painting, I don't see how painting an mdf door would be easier than painting any other material.

Basically, there's no market. There's also no added benefit compared to other options.
>>
>>1027192

Wouldn't you bolt it on?
>>
>>1027460
Traditional interior and exterior doors in houses have the hinges secured by screws.
>>
>>1027460
How do you plan on bolting hinges to the door?
>>
>>1027458
I've been looking for a way to kind-of-soundproof my room because it's next to a high use kitchen and dining room in a noisy household. The shit I was seeing said to get an MDF door but now I have no clue.
>>
>>1027524
If you had a door that blocked 100% of sound and a wall that only blocked 10% of sound then you'd still hear 90% of sound whenever your head was next to that wall. Basically the weakest link will break the system. The cheapest option would be a set of cushioned closed back monitor headphones. It's easy to always listen to media while doing whatever, and if you're not bug on watching videos or listening to music attentively then for background noise, classical, electronic or jazz instrumentals, ambient and white noise will excite your mind with your other hobbies. I used to listen to aphex twin a ton when I was installing mod chips at the flea market.
>>
>>1027136
MDF has poor torsion resistance, and would almost certainly warp under gravity when hung by it's edges. The solution to this is to make it the surface of a torsion box. At that point, it becomes identical to the cardboard + veneer method, aside from costing and weighing more, neither of which is good.
>>
File: Diagram2-sourceNoise.jpg (62KB, 540x296px) Image search: [Google]
Diagram2-sourceNoise.jpg
62KB, 540x296px
>>1027524
You can't soundproof a room without rebuilding the walls, at minimum (and the framing as well for maximum effect).

Anon's headphone idea is best bet. 2nd place is to add mass to the room, like tapestries/curtains, thick carpet, etc. That'll reduced the db level a few points but thats about it though. MDF has more mass then a hollow core door so that's why. There's no difference between it and any other solid door though.
>>
>>1027609

I work as a Carpenter and we once designed a soundproof bedroom, where we achieved a R'wDB value of 50db for noise coming from adjacent rooms.

The concepts of soundproof engineering are not foreign to me, but the problem is, that soundproof doors with Rw values of 40db+ cost almost 1.5k in my country, which causes the doors alone to cost almost 2k, including installation.

So i looked up soundproof door desgns in some books and they basically were all made of particle board frames, with a Rockwool filling and Plywood on the faces.

But some sources say that cabinet doors of plywood alone tend to warp. So I am not quite sure how to handle this issue.
>>
>>1027613
If it has an interior frame, with sheet wood faces, then it's essentially a torsion box. That type of construction should not warp.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.