[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY binoculars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: binoculars.jpg (28KB, 320x262px) Image search: [Google]
binoculars.jpg
28KB, 320x262px
Sup, /diy/.

Just had a thought about a project I'd like to start.

Thought it would be a fitting thread for /diy/ too.

Making your own binoculars.

Is it a plausible idea?
The biggest issue is getting a porro prism setup working properly.

I can see the zoom being made easy with interchangeable eyepieces.

It would be really fun to make something outrageous for a smaller price than what's available to buy complete.
But I do understand that the glass would end up being expensive.

Has anyone here tried this out and got some insight?
>>
>>1027098
Building a telescope would probably be a better thing to do.
>>
>>1027100
What, no need to bump a thread on this board.

>>1027102
Yeah it's easier, but I prefer the stereoscopic view that a binocular provides.

But, technically, it would just be a matter of building two telescopes and then put them together, no?
>>
>>1027098

>>1027102
This.

Or alternatively i'd recommend building a video binoculars. Get two camera modules (Just get a sharp or sony HAD so that the image is not noisy), s-mount (M12) lenses and two LCD modules. Add wiring, power and viewing lenses.

From here you're just a few steps away from stereoscopic night vision and various other fun DIY things.
>>
>>1027104
>But, technically, it would just be a matter of building two telescopes and then put them together, no?
No, binoculars are much more complex. DIY telescopes are mostly newtonian, that is you need to shape a single mirror only, the other is flat and the eyepiece is on the side.

I expect you want your binoculars not to invert the image. That's extra complexity.
You also need to make sure that the axis in both oculars is 3D parallel. That's also extra complexity.
And you need to adjust the focus; in telescopes, you just slide the eyepiece in a slightly larger tube, and that's fine enough. For binoculars, this would not work.
Also, chromatic aberrations – are you able to DIY achromatic lenses or you're fine with color shift?
>>
File: IMG_2924.jpg (91KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2924.jpg
91KB, 800x533px
>>1027102
???
>>
>>1027098
>>1027102
If you're interested in this here is a website that is devoted to this sort of thing. There is also an interesting documentary with a guy who shows you how to build a simple telescope, but i forget his name and the name of the documentary. He was associated with this website however.

http://www.sidewalkastronomers.us/id5.html
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.