[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recovering Hard Drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: hdd-100021843-large.jpg (55KB, 580x517px) Image search: [Google]
hdd-100021843-large.jpg
55KB, 580x517px
Hey /diy/. So my hard drive just died, and I
>>
OP here. 2005 Laptop is being stupid..

I want to know if any of you have experience with DIYing recovering files off a hard drive or even repairing it? I backed up important files (thank god), but I would still like my hard drive back...
>>
>>1025793
Died how? Clicking of death? Its worth its weight in aluminum then. Otherwise try popping it in the freezer. That might get you a few minutes of use out of it to get some files off. If its just bad sectors use a recovery tool.
>>
>>1025797
No idea. I restarted my computer, then suddenly it wouldn't boot past the UEFI startup screen. I loaded an alternate hard drive fine, so it isn't my UEFI or motherboard. I swapped the cables, so it isn't the cables. I dusted it, so it isn't the connections either.
>>
Check if it's under warranty. You won't get your data back, but you'll get a working drive. Replaced a drive twice, the second time they sent me a 750gb one instead of 320gb.
>>
>>1025800
post hi-res scan of the hdd circuit board, or hires picture
>>
>>1025793
if you really desperately need the files you can buy the same model of hard drive and swap the platters.
>>
>>1025807
Just checked the WD website, 5-year warranty on my model (Love Western Digital). This may be an option since I certainly can't afford one right now.
>>1025808
I would, but my scanner is with a Friend right now, and with the information I just learned, I really don't want to void the warranty.
>>
>>1025800
>I loaded an alternate hard drive fine
(a) does PC boot from another drive, with your (n/w) drive plugged in as well? May have to select other as master in BIOS.

(b) If a good, boot an OS (if possible) from another drive, with (n7w) drive also connected. Is (n/w) drive recognised in OS? - ie, if PC, check under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Management/Sorage/Disk/etc.

If its not showing up/recognised anywhere, and you sure connections/cables/settings are OK - circuit board dead/problem + cannot recover shit. Otherwise, proceed with Disk Recovery software, Quite like EaseUS, but, any should do. Make sure you have free sapce to copy recovered files ON ANOTHER DRIVE.

As said, you need to get it recognised under another OS first for recovery, or swap the PCB for working (with EXACT SAME MODEL drive) etc. Warranty will swap your drive, they sure as fuck aint gonna recover any data fror you tho.

>Cant be WD either, they dont bust.
>>
>>1025824
It does, but the OS on the other drive isn't operational (hasn't been for several years, it's an old XP drive I took from my old computer). I could try getting a Linux installation from my USB or CD drives, and attempting to run it from that.

It's a WD, but I agree that it is strange that it is probably busted. The other one is also a WD, and it is fine.
>>
>>1025827
just download a boot CD - Ultimate Recovery, or something.. not 100% reliable with SATA drives (may not be recognised), but, worth a shot, if you find one that has a recovery prog on it, so much the better.
>>
>>1025793
>DIYing recovering files off a hard drive or even repairing it?
I've recovered several with SpinRite. It cost $80 but I was able to get the computers working again and it 'fixed' the drives. Now at version 6.
>>
FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD has a shitload of tools, WinPE-ish OS, Linux, DOS and factory drive rescue tools. It's free and useful as fuck.
>>
>>1025814
>Just checked the WD website, 5-year warranty on my model (Love Western Digital). This may be an option since I certainly can't afford one right now.

If you can't afford a drive you can run a live Linux or live WinPE-ish (FalconFour is best of those) off a flash drive or CD and store your files online.

With Knoppix and relative you can use the toram cheatcode and the iso will copy itself into RAM. It's fast. There are lots of live Linux distros but Knoppix has the most polish since it's intended just to be a live distro.

Also Google "knoppix rescue". Since your PC is UEFI you may have to search a bit for live distros which support it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.