[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I attempted to make a backyard foundry lining a steel bucket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: graphite.jpg (90KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
graphite.jpg
90KB, 800x800px
I attempted to make a backyard foundry lining a steel bucket with some plaster and with a plaster lid. My heat source is some charcoal and my crucible is graphite.

My problem is, I'm having trouble getting the crucible hot enough to melt any soda cans. It's hot as hell, but the cans just sit there. I'm lining the bottom and sides a bit with charcoal, lighting them with lighting fluid and a utility lighter, then putting the crucible in and adding some more charcoal.

Anyone have experience with this? Please help.
>>
do you have air flow? Most forges have a bellows
>>
>>1025267

I have a hole drilled near the bottom that I occassionally pump air into. Does it have to be constant?
>>
>>1025269
yes
>>
>>1025274

Ok I'll try that

Thanks
>>
>>1025280

make sure the heat doesn't melt whatever you're blowing with, I've seen it happen before.
>>
File: Super Hankyin.jpg (117KB, 500x577px) Image search: [Google]
Super Hankyin.jpg
117KB, 500x577px
Switch to propane. I'm telling you, melting went from basically never being able to even get cans to melt with charcoal to literal child's play with propane. Saved me so much rage and hair pulling and I made a torch for like 50 bucks and the adjustable regulator and hose were about 50 bucks as well. I'm literally using my torch pointed into a 30 ceramic blanket held up with a spring clamp and it works 10000x better than any charcoal setup I tried.
>>
Try using a hairdryer for the air supply on the lowest setting
>>
>>1025283
Link a steel pipe that goes into the pit and on the other end put a pvc pipe followed by an hair dryier.

When you need to melt the aluminum be sure to put the hair dryer ON on the lowest setting if its a good hair dryer.

Some type of lid could also help but it needs a hole so there isnt too much pressure
>>
File: 3fingerfront grip.jpg (3KB, 76x76px) Image search: [Google]
3fingerfront grip.jpg
3KB, 76x76px
all these small things are to be factor out
ie how big are you cutting the can pieces, how much coke/coal do you have around the crucible, air flow and also will i melt my forge.
old large rear brake drums from trucks work with a "v cut" to hang out larger items your forging , an include a t valve on the undersideof forge
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.