[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old turntable installation advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: 20160719_142846.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160719_142846.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
I've got a 30 year old CEC directly drive DD-8200 model. It's got a free grounding cable (pic related, red one) and I don't know what to do with.
> I don't know muchness about electronics
> friends suggested to get it in contact with some radiator or something
> I'm afraid that's not really an option
What should I do /diy/ ?
>>
>>1025062
*direct drive
>>
File: HTurntableReceiverGround[1].jpg (63KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
HTurntableReceiverGround[1].jpg
63KB, 500x333px
your amplifier will (usually..) have a screw marked GND - attach to this. If not, use any body screw on the amp - this is also the onlything that should be attched to this, turntable GND to amp GND, do not into radiators n shit.

Can also try without, will not blow up, but will probably hummm lotz.
>>
>>1025062
It goes to the ground screw for your Phono input. All Phono inputs have them

If your amp doesnt have a Phono input, you arent going to get much sound at all.
Its a special input with RIAA equalization
>>
File: 20160719_154041.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160719_154041.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Here's the backview of the amplifier.
I found the GND port. Gonna try this asap
>>
>>1025067
The cable is too thick to fit in the GND port. It's pieces of wire attached together. Should I try to connect the separately? And if that's a yes then which one of them?
> pic related
>>
File: 20160719_154756.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160719_154756.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1025088
>>
File: 20160719_155253.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160719_155253.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1025088
>>1025089
2/2
>>
File: Yamaha%20RX-V440RDS%20b[1].jpg (452KB, 2765x867px) Image search: [Google]
Yamaha%20RX-V440RDS%20b[1].jpg
452KB, 2765x867px
>>1025062
AY, HOL UP, HOL UP

lots of wrong going on here ..

(1) thats not a GND port - thats for an ariel for the radio. There is no GND port on that amplifier, period.

(2) reason theres no GND port, theres no phono (record player) input on that amp, period.

Right, you fucked - as colleague (correctly) mentioned earlier, record players have a different line impedance to line-level things (CDs, etc.) You cannot directly connect a record player to that amp, you would need a mixer, or a phono line input stage converter inbetween. Or, another amp with phono input. Shitty cheap disco mixer maybe your easiest option - but it needs PHONO (record player) inoput, sorry bro.
>>
>>1025092
> tfw try to make pretty much the same post with the same image before refresh, only to be told it already exists.

All of this OP.
>>
>>1025092
Let me make something clear. I didn't buy this thing. It's a decade old amplifier I had handy from a home cinema system my family used to own at the time.
I just wanted to see if there was any way to make the two work together since the original amplifier which I used to run the thing with has been scrapped for years.
So what do you propose? Should I buy a new one with a phono connection or what?

also:
I did connect one of the wires to that GND port and I gotta say that the noise got significantly redused. What's going on?!
>>
>>1025107
It's not a ground, it's an antenna jack.

You will either need a different amp, or a phono preamp between the TT and your amp. There's no way around it.
>>
>>1025107
You can buy a phono preamp... About $20-50 or you can get a $200 audiophile bullshit that's always available.

Or you can get an amp with phono, but that's like $200 for a crappy one.
>>
>>1025109
Yes I know it's an antenna jack. I'm just telling you that I got different results when I plugged it in there.
Do you know why would that be so?
>>
>>1025110
Got any suggestions? Do you know of any good and cheap phono preamp that worths it?
>>
Lots of bad info here.

If you amp doesn't have a phono connection all you need a turntable preamp. This is because audio is recorded to a record at a higher frequency than the real sound. The preamp is setup to take care of that.

The gas is there to discharge static electricity that is generated from the needle running across the record. In some climates you don't need it. Otherwise just attach it to whatever makes the humming stop.
>>
File: 1416311889606s.jpg (3KB, 124x119px) Image search: [Google]
1416311889606s.jpg
3KB, 124x119px
>>1025114
>gas
Oh man, what's he going to plug that wire into now?
>>
>>1025114
Alright I already got that.
What I'm asking now is why the hell does it work like that and if there's anyone who knows about it.
I'm also open for some good suggestions about phono preamps
>>
>>1025126
OP, here
https://imgur.com/a/f0my7
>>
>>1025126
Basically just think of the phono preamp as a translator into something the amplifier can use. Idk much about it but that's what it seems to do.
>>
OP, this is what i used when i first got into TTs https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-BEHRINGER-MICROPHONO/dp/B000H2BC4E
>>
>>1025131
I get why it needs a phono preamp. I was talking about the fact that the humming was reduced when the grounding was plugged in that antenna jack. I really don't understand that
>>
As said, your options are:

(1.) cheap disco mixer - connect TT to mixer, mixer to amp - if you didnt want to sepnd $15 - $100 on a dedicated phono preamp? this is what I would get, as also usable for other things.

Example:

Vestax, Reloop, Numark, all reasonably cheap and (relatively..) modern ebay shit - avoid Realistic (old Radio Shack brand) - is like 70's shit. Goodwill or equivalent maybe have something cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-VESTAX-PMC01A-NIB-Unused-Professional-Mixing-Controller-DJ-Mixer-/232013158254 - unused, $40

(2) Phone preamp - $14 new - youd get better (and more expensive) - https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PP999-Phono-Turntable-Pre-Amp/dp/B00025742A - obv. its the only thing its useful for, but, cheap.

(3) another amp - anything halfway with same power and phono input, you at least $100 (probbaly) - maybe not sensible, if amp is ok otherwise.

There you go, options from $15 - infinity. But you need something, you CANNOT get a usable sound with that amp otherwsie - may make a noise, but, its never going to be a pleasnt one, does not = IT WORKS. GND cable should be single and can definitely be thinner, BTW - that looks like speaker cable you trying to use.

>https://imgur.com/a/f0my7
- says exactly what I just said, and, more or less that which have you been told 5 times already.

>>1025114
>lots of bad info

Yeah, you right, Im done now. I'll leave you in the capable hands of this babbling reatrd (gas? - I-I.. no, enough, enough, already)
>>
>>1025135
Babbling retard?
I'm just a guy who wants to learn stuff and get the job done. Is that really too much to ask...?

And yes, I'm not 100% sure if this is a grounding cable or not. It's my father's old turntable. 30-40 years old equipment.
He said that that's the grounding cable. He used to own and actively use that thing.
So I picked it up from his words.

If mock is your will, then you might as well not bother posting at all.

But anyway thanks for the suggestions and info
>>
>>1025137
ah, my apologies, good Sir - did not know
>>1025114 and OP were one and the same person - still puzzeled as to where you recieved 'bad advice' but, wtf, I really CGAF, tbqh, etc. As said, tho, turntables always best connected to Phono inputs, and not heating systems (of whatever variety), but, hope you get something sorted anyway, and enjoy your future turntabling.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.