[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Building Help ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: CoreX9_1208_5.jpg (34KB, 300x264px) Image search: [Google]
CoreX9_1208_5.jpg
34KB, 300x264px
OK /diy/ I'm trying to start building my own gaming computer. But everything us getting confusing. I understand GPUs and power units but the problem is that I can't decide which MOBO I need to buy. I know I want an E-ATX Mobo with an LGA 1151 but I want to make the right choice.
My future setup is
1xi7-6700k
1xGTX 1080 or 980 ti
1x Thermaltake Core X9 E-ATX chassis
Water cooling system

But all that's left is the mobo. Recommendations?
I'd rather have advice from someone experienced then to fuck up as I try and build it
>>
ask /g/
>>
>>1024340
/r/buildapc
>>
>>1024340
Just decide what cpu, gpu, memory, etx, then decide what mainboard you want. Use pcpartpicker, it will help you match and decide.
>>
No you don't need a fucking e-atx mobo. You probably don't even need a full atx one.
>>
>>1024340
The bigger the case/mobo usually the easier the build is.

But the heavier that shit is too. Get an ITX case and an ITX mobo and never look back.

>But muh SLI!

SLI fucking sucks unless you're retard tier rich and can go 4x.
I bought into the meme with GTX 480s and got one cheap, and it added like 50% more power with extremely worse cooling.
Then I got a 780 and did the same thing with a huge ass case.
>Then I said fuck it, bought an all ITX setup with an SFX PSU.
Now I've got my 980ti in a (core 500?) case and that shit barely fits but cools perfectly fine and decent noise level.
>>
>>1024386
What this guy said

Gaming pc doesn't need lots of sata ports or pci slots which is only reason for eatx, get something smaller
>>
>>1024340
Wrong board. But e atx is fucking pointless for anything other than multi cpu systems. You don't get anymore pci slots for it, and you're likely not going to populate more than 5 or 6 sata ports which you can get on any board. Multi gpu is generally not worth it, but will be much better with dx12, assuming developers code for it. You can do all this with an matx board. Including a full custom loop. Just go to /g/ post this in a somewhat related thread. Take your licks, and sift through the shit posting to find the exact same answers you got here.
>>
/g/entooman here.

OP did the right thing asking here. Most of the other /g/ents are too busy arguing over their animu waifus or over why they think arch is better than life itself.

I am currently on a jobsite drywalling, but when I get home in a few hours I'll answer this in detail as I have a plethura of experience in this stuff.

For a short answer to hold you off, I agree with the eatx comments. Go atx no doubt.
>>
>>1024340
Yeah, extended ATX is way too fucking HYOOG.

How come you're getting such an insane processor? You going to be doing tons of compiling or something, or just gaming?
You could probably save $100 going down a couple tiers and not lose any performance.
Then again, if you have the money and don't care, go for it. Future-proof, eh?

Also, water-cooling system is good, but only if you get a modular one. Designing and installing one yourself is an absolute pain in the fucking ass.

Get something similar to the Corsair H100i. Does great for me and should fit in your case.

Final tip: Logicalincrements.com. Helped me a ton when I built my PC.Good luck!
>>
>>1024340
>>>/g/
>>
>>1025702
>Designing and installing one yourself is an absolute pain in the fucking ass

Honestly, as long as the case has a spot for your radiator (which itself is only an issue if you're using larger than a single 120mm one), it's not. Pump/reservoir combos can be had that fit in a 5.25" bay, and that's the only other thing that could be problematic.

The Core X9 is explicitly designed for ridiculous water-cooled systems. It'll take pretty much any part that will physically fit into the case.
>>
>>1024340
>I know I want an E-ATX Mobo
For fucking what?
Literally who needs that many PCI slots, that many SATA ports, that many NICs?
>>
>>1024340
>mobo. Recommendations?

No, but I built my current Battlestation in that case. It's fuckhueg and heavy as shit.
10/10 would buy again
>>
File: speccy.png (71KB, 758x630px) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
71KB, 758x630px
>>1024340
wrong board senpai, that said, here are my recommendations

fuck the i7, iditots with more money than brains buy desktop i7s. either get the flagship i5 or go xeon (the e5-1650 is a 6 core compute monster, and fairly cheap nowadays, pic related is my setup).

get a 1080, 1070, or a 480

>Thermaltake Core X9 E-ATX chassis
fucking shit choice
if you want a big, fuck off EATX case then fine, but go lian li or silverstone, or just do what most people do and get a fractal r4.

>watercooling system
biggest waste of money you could possibly attempt with a PC, itll net you fuck all in terms of performance vs a good air cooling setup.
>>
>>1025702
>not wanting a dual socket xeon setup
>not rocking dual e5-2690s
>>
>>1024340
6700K - good choice, not overkill, in fact that higher clock speed will futureproof you for quite some time.

Memory? You really don't need more than 8gb for a gaming rig, but if you can afford it, it won't hurt to throw a little more in since ram is fairly cheap.

Get a GTX 1080 for sure over the 980 ti. At this point the 980 is a waste of money considering how powerful/price of the 1080.

You do not need EATX unless you're going to run some dual socket dual processor rig. You can easily build a machine with that processor around one of these boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157639

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132575

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128863

And of those, I would generally go Asus, they make a very solid product that is very stable for overclocking.

If you wanna go water instead and have the case space:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181102

If your e-peen is tiny and you need more, get the dual fan radiator version. EATX case is overkill as well, scale down a bit. You're not gonna need that much space unless you're going multi-GPU and need to add fans, custom water loop, all that crazy shit. One GPU will be fine, especially a 1080.

Honestly, I have a Mini ITX build with almost these same specs and it's a beast. Also light and easy to take with when I want to go to friend's place and play. Here's the case I used:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH3Z96636

Here's the mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132641

Here's the card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126116

>>1028910

Fuckin' this right here.
I have a workstation for 3d animation and video, I have 2x E5-2667 V2's in it and 128gb ram. Put it together with used parts from eBay. It tears through animation and video frames.
>>
You have chassis listed, but check your power supply usage to avoid extra cost/ power problems with your setup.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
>>
>>1024340
The only e-atx boards for 115x I can think of are from evga, but in all honesty if you want a big mother board then stick to atx and choose which ever z170 board you like the look off
>>
>>1024341
Please don't. We get dozens of these dumb fucks who want to be spoonfed.
>>
Watercooling isn't a newbie adventure. I would recommend air cooling or AiO CPU cooler if you wanted to be able to say you have watercooling.

The thing with 1151 mobo's is that a lot of them have really shitty integrated sound cards, be it hardware or software. Gigabyte for example has a Gaming 7 mobo with Soundblaster audio, and it's been known to go over 100% volume and any time you play audio it just goes REEEEEEEEEEEE until you delete and reinstall drivers or reboot, which doesn't always fix the problem.

With 1151 boards you also need ddr4 ram, unless there is still a manufacturer supporting ddr3 on 1151 boards.

PSU is fairly simple, just toss everything into PC part picker and it will tell you your potential max voltage. Then, as a good rule of thumb, you at minimum multiple by 1.5, but for safety sake, multiply by 2. AND SPEND SOME FUCKING MONEY ON GOOD PSU'S. Chyna PSU's can fail and fuck your entire system up.

My current build has a 6700k and a 1080. Both pretty good. I cool the 6700k with ab H100i so it runs nice and cold.

Can't comment on the case, not really a fan of Thermaltake.
>>
/g/ is cancer

But I'm in the same boat of needing to build a pc. Gonna be mainly used for gaming, music recording and possible video editing.

Are cpu coolers pretty universal on their mountings to the board ? Selecting LGA 1151 on newegg only brings up like 6 different products. Are coolers for other socket types compatible?
>>
>>1030033
If the cooler doesn't say it's compatible with LGA 1151, then it's not. In general, most sockets have different layouts from one another. When there's an exception, such as FM1/FM2 (different pins but same cooler layout), the cooler will normally be explicitly listed as being compatible with both.
>>
>>1024341
Please no
Just go to logical increments or pc part picker to see wich models are best rated

If you really don't know what to choose ask inton a /g/'s /sqt/
>>
Logical Increments is the best place for PC building knowledge, it's made by a /g/ user to get you pc building tards to stop making threads.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.