[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

british phone booth sale

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: booth.jpg (1MB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
booth.jpg
1MB, 1494x2656px
nearby town is selling 6 of these brit phone booths...
http://form.glenview.il.us/PhoneAuction/Pages/Home.aspx
I'd love to buy one but how the heck could I move it [cheaply]; they are 2000+ lbs.
I assume the metal body is cast iron?) the door is wood.
hiring a crane and truck would be expensive!

any brit out there know more info about how these are made - could it be disassembled?
>>
>>1024167
Just out of curiosity, why the fuck do they use british booths in the united fucking states?
>>
>>1024171
There's one in an Englishman's vineyard here in Nova Scotia. They sponsor any national call from it as a marketing gimmick
>>
>>1024171
they got them from london when london was getting rid of them... they put them in the down town area (used as telephone booths with pay phones) just because it was'different and unexpected to see that here in the states. but now of course no one needs or uses a pay phone anymore - I would assume they might also attract vandalism though the town where these were located is fairly "up-scale"...

kind of like how some tour bus companies in the city (new york, chicago) bought some of the old classic london double decker buses when they were being decommissioned. it was "different" to see them on this side of the pond. made that company stand out a bit from the others using "normal" common buses.
>>
around 1700 lbs usually quoted - cast-iron/teak door, dont think disassembly possible - they had to survive hordes of rampaging drunken Bongs; you aint gonna take one apart easily, short of a bomb.

Basically, you'd need a flatbed/trailer, which is less the problem, and certainly a forklift to lift/move the fucker, maybe more of an issue. See:

http://www.unicornrestorations.com/installation - Bongs use hydraulic lifts - also advice page on that site. tldr - fugged dismantling, and only if intended destination reachable with trailer/forklift - 2nd floor or some shit? - nope.
>>
>>1024180
>certainly a forklift to lift/move the fucker
yeah. this is going to be the problem. trailer would be easy to acquire. but loading it and worse, unloading and placing it in the garden is the real problem... oh well... maybe have to settle for a wooden replica.
>>
File: trailer-up1.jpg (88KB, 850x370px) Image search: [Google]
trailer-up1.jpg
88KB, 850x370px
>>1024180
>http://www.unicornrestorations.com/installation
wow nice they have a purpose built lift and trailer for these...
>>
>>1024182
gardens got to be do-able, you can put it on rollers for the last leg ;) Car Breakdown, Piano Removal Co - any of those in your area? either of those would have a mini-crane truck, depends on distance from driveway/road to where in garden you want phonebox.
>>
Just rock it on to a low trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUe4V2_S2so
>>
>>1024167
Watch this for tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKkfGG9q32c
>>
Those things are rock solid, you wouldn't believe the abuse we gave our local one whilst waiting for the school bus and we hardly left a mark on it.

Also, it's gonna stink so bad of skag and piss.
>>
>>1024167
Rent a drop deck trailer, tip it onto some pipe rollers, winch onto trailer, secure with cargo straps, unload is reverse of loading.

Google "moving a Bridgeport" for how people move heavy tippy machine tools with a high CG.

You don't need a crane. You could also move it on a drop deck trailer by using a tow truck to load and unload it from the trailer. Call a local tow truck company and explain the problem. Only issue with a wrecker might be sling loading it safely. I'd stick with trailer, cargo straps and a hand winch. I move mills and lathes with ordinary car trailers that way.
>>
>1985
>Growing up in darkest rural Welsh valley
>Phonebox was the place to be for my sole childhood friend and I
>Cowboys and Indians in and around it
>Hide and seek
>Dares involving reverse charges and bothering the exchange
>Converted it into a den with some broken old pallets we dragged up the valley
>Time goes on and we grow up but the phonebox remains the same, unquestionable with it's filthy windows and dim yellow light
>Kissed my first girl in there while it rained
>Smoked my first fag in there
>Got drunk on strongbow in there at 14
>One day it gets changed from cash to some weird pay-as-you-go swipecard that literally nobody in the village had
>One day it gets repainted green
>One day it gets the windows broken
>and the light
>and someone snapped the handset off

and then one day it was gone.

Sounds stupid I know but I miss that fucking phonebox. I grew up in that phonebox.
>>
i had to move a stupidly large and heavy kiln and got a flat bed tow truck to move it for me. some drivers have very flexable schedules
>>
>>1024167
I have one in my garden

It is bloody heavy - I think you are right at 2000 lbs, maybe a bit less

Looks great though. I have a circuit board in it and use it as a plug for the lawn mower, strimmers etc.

Get a yellow tinted, relatively dim light and put it on a timer. Also looks funny with Christmas lights.

Piss in it occasionally for authenticity
>>
My favourite bar in my smallish home town has one inside, they stole it after a story appeared in the local paper about them being phased out.
Also the village where my grandparents retired had a phone booth and the local shop would leave bread and other essentials in there over the weekend in case anybody needed it, then you would just pay next time the shop was open.
Me and my friends used to ring a phone booth that was in view of a friends house, whenever there was somebody walking past. I don't think anybody ever answered it though
I think everybody has a bunch of random stories about those booths.

They're riveted together so it would be very difficult to take apart and reassemble.
Your best bet would be to tip it back onto a trailer, strap it down well, and then tip it back out again when you're at your destination.
>>
I live about 2 miles from where they used to be manufactured. There's a yard full of the things.

Well, pieces of them, they were made in sections.
>>
>>1024167
part of me misses these things, they always used to smell of piss and cheap beer though
>>
>>1024180
>you aint gonna take one apart easily, short of a bomb.

You can do it with a large enough firework: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7165549.stm

Re-assembly tends to be the issue, though. Cast iron doesn't take kindly to explosive force.
>>
>>1026958
>Piss in it occasionally for authenticity

This. If you're weird about pissing in it, pour out some cider or beer and leave it to go stale. Maybe leave an old kebab in there, too.
>>
>>1028987
aylmao - cast-iron shrapnel over a 100m radius, including 'into the front room of a nearby flat..'

>"behaviour like this is seriously frowned on"

Gotta love Bong understatement..
must have been a bloody big firework.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.