[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok.. WTF I just learned that Americans build their houses with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 25

File: einfamilienhaus-19.jpg (142KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
einfamilienhaus-19.jpg
142KB, 1024x768px
Ok.. WTF
I just learned that Americans build their houses with drywall and wood. What are they thinking?

When we build our house in 2003 we used the normal method in Germany (when not using clinker)
of 11,5 cm sand-lime brick for the outside, 5cm air, 8 cm polystyrene for isolation and another 11,5 cm sand-lime brick for the inside.

Our ceiling is 30 cm reinforced concrete supported with two horizontal steel T-beams.

this is the normal way to build for new single family houses in Germany.

So my question to you is why do you build your houses with such weak materials?
Don´t you fear a big storm or fire destroying your house?

I am interested because I want to build my own house in the future too and I was wandering
why there are so big differences of building new houses in America and Germany.
>>
>>1024013
Lumber is cheap. SO cheap. Building the house you've described would be a much more expensive endeavor.

Fires and storms are rarities one can insure against.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the German method here, but Americans will always prioritize being able to build too many, too-big houses for low materials cost.
>>
>>1024013
A lot of people do build houses out of premium materials

With that said, its just cheaper and faster to do it that way.
Nobody wants to live in a old outdated house.
There are a lot of neighborhoods with old brick houses that are still perfectly functional, but nobody wants to live in them. It costs just as much to build a brand new house than it would to retrofit the old hazard to be to code.

Its not uncommon to buy an old house for its plot and completely demolish it. Just throw up a brand new completely state of the art house.

It allows the middle class to build houses and keeps neighborhoods from going to shit.
>>
>>1024013
Forced obsolescence.
>>
>>1024013
A big enough storm or fire will still destroy that house.

Our forests are very badly managed because the hippies made us stop interfering with nature so when we have a fire it becomes a national emergency because it is unstoppable.

Like melting steel beams is no problem what so ever, houses burst into flame hundreds of feet before the fire wall reaches them from radiant heat. Windows explode from the pressure differential then all the oxygen in the house gets sucked into tge fire and the house almost explodes
>>
>>1024015
Ok but how is it with the longevity?
I guess such cheap houses aren´t going to stand well after some decades. What is the general lifetime of those houses?
Of course ours are build to last.
>>
>>1024013
americans build cheap houses with cheap material that are erected in a matter of weeks/months, Euros build houses designed for a longer period of time with a lot more building regulations, which does not mean that an American House will collapse over you after three months, its just not going to last that long without a lot of repair having to be done.

This leads to burgers being able to own a new built house pretty easy, while its a very expensive thing for a (western) European if you dont want to live in the midst of nowhere.
>>
>>1024023

Wood houses properly maintained will easily last the owner's lifetime. And they're cheap as fuck to repair. Source: I just remodeled and added on to a house built in the 1940s and the framing was just fine. So I kept ALL the framing and built 1000 ft^2 (100m^2) on top of it all.
The timber was probably 10,000 US$ and it took about a week to frame and build a new roof. With 3 people working. The hardest part was putting in 25 ft (8m) glue lam (timber) beams because they were heavy and strong as fuck. The rest of the new floor are wood products* (TGI joists) which are additionally wood I beams which are cheap as fuck, light as fuck for their strength and will last forever if the aforementioned roof keeps everything dry.
A house with a good foundation and roof will last forever.
>>
>>1024030
My house is older that 80 years old and I've never had to replace a single brick wall.
>>
>>1024030
Califag from other thread. With my 1200 sq Ft house we are tearing it down to the framing because that is still a 'remodel' then reinforcing the foundation for a second floor, reinforcing the framing and building a second floor as well.

We are looking at 500k because California and California permits.

It will be so nice to have insulated walls though.
>>
>>1024032
You haven't upgraded your insulation either though? And do you run all heating/ac on the outside? What about that time the satellite guy drilled holes in the wrong spot for mounting his shit and then had to wrap the house in coax?

How do you even have power running? Did they reuse the gas lighting tubes?
>>
>>1024032
this does not necessarily mean that a brick house does not need repairs or that brick walls cant be damaged by neglect. Like the poster you quoted said, foundation and roof are important too, and thats not a question of the walls youre putting on.

There are also a lot of wood houses in Europe, just sayin.
>>
>>1024032
I'd say that depends on how much subsidence happens in the area. In my area it's very common to see 80 year old brick buildings that are sagging or out of true, and that's a very expensive repair compared to doing it with a wooden house.
>>
>>1024023
I live in a wooden house that was built in the 1870's. As long as you keep up on regular preventative maintenance, there is no issue.

All of the improvements I've done have been out of choice, not necessity. Mostly things to make the house more functional and efficient. Sure the windows still worked, but my heating bill is now much lower.

The oldest house in the US is a timber frame house built in ~1640, and there are even older wooden building in Europe. So there is no issue using wood as a primary building material
>>
>>1024038
It boils down to maintenance and climate.

Thing is if you neglect concrete floors and structures (foundations) (brick houses have them, otherwise they are out of wood (the floors)) they will collapse from moisture and rust in the reinforcement, and its much more of a hustle (at time impossible (especially the cheap builds)) to replace or retrofit it so it last another 15-20 years.

While a wooden house can be replaced nail by nail, wall by wall etc. with almost no effort and $0 if you are /diy/ god and have the time.

I am from east Europe, here we build with reinforced concrete and 4 m footings even for one story buildings cause of earthquakes and floods etc.

But my grand-grand father's house is 120 years old, its made out of wood and clay (the outside is plastered with it (I guess for insulation)) and its still intact, the only thing that had been changed over the years is the rooftop, right now is metal rooftop with brand new wooden framing, it was done 4 years ago, and the last time before that was 25 years ago.

So really, it does not matter what kind of materials you use.
The "engineering" is more important, as well as maintenance every other year.
>>
>>1024023
I've seen some from the late 1600s.
>>
American homes are like mud huts, dispensable and easily replaced. It's not worth building for longer than one lifespan though many houses last more than 100 years. Homes are disposable. Most Americans move several times in their life.

I was stationed at Sembach AB and like classic German construction, but in the US we go for maximum square footage instead of building for the ages. Our country is vast and in constant flux. If you built for the ages in Detroit in 1960, your investment would be worthless today. If you built for the ages in many nice suburbs, urban sprawl would still displace the community and demolish the home. It's common for very expensive older homes to be purchased for the land then torn down.

That said, traditional US sliding windows are stupid. The swing-out Euro variety is much less prone to sticking and ages better.
>>
>>1024062
>>1024076
i think he means stuff like pic related in the suburbs that look like three variations of this copypasted a bazillion times next to each other. May look like pic with a 50s style white family, might be half rotten and inhabited by blacks.

i doubt most Americans live in one of these.
>>
File: DSC_0128[2].jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0128[2].jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>1024081
Yes I like our windows.
And you are right, America is a fast changing country, you need to be able to adapt.
>>
>>1024013
History and money.

Once dimensional lumber became commonplace and cheap (TY industry), it was immediately used to build houses using a method that was mocked as "stick construction." It existed but didn't truly catch on.

Fast forward to 1945. All those Baby Boomers want houses. Stick construction was the only method fast and cheap enough to satisfy the demand. Suburbia resulted. It remains the standard method to this day.

Other options are available if you can pay for it.
>>
We're cheap, lazy and shortsighted here
>>
>>1024021
Winner!
>>
>>1024030
>A house with a good foundation and roof will last forever.
Yup.
Super comfortable in a 1979 house with a settled foundation with no cracks and a three year old roof.
>>
>>1024083
Track (tract?) homes, where one developer builds an entire neighborhood.

Quality here varies from company to company. I work tile and I'm contracted for basically the next five years with one of the bigger track home builders in my state.
>>
>>1024030
Wood will last indefinitely. I'm in new england. My house is 1875 and some houses around me are late 1700s. You just need to maintain your roof and exterior so it never rots.
>>
>>1024124
>Fast forward to 1945. All those Baby Boomers want houses.

Those evil prenatal baby boomers.
>>
>>1024013
Californian who also lived in Germany here. Your house would explode in a decent earthquake. Timber frame houses are flexible, they sway a lot and exterior bits fall off, but they generally withstand the quake.
>>
>>1024194
I don't think there's a lot of timber framed houses in California.
>>
>>1024252
The vast majority of those identical California cul-de-sac houses are wood framed, they just have reinforced joints for earthquake resistance.

Unless you're being pedantic about "timber" vs. "lumber".
>>
>>1024252
not sure if sarcasm
>>
>>1024252
Wood is the most common building material out here bar none. We got forests for days son. Wood is cheap here.
>>
>>1024252
Then what do all the fags their houses out of?
>>
>>1024013
>such weak materials?
Because dey cheep in freedum dollar!

When you have fast growing trees, EVERYWHERE, for thousands of km across, poplar, yellow pine etc-- these miserable faggots grow wish such vigor we NEED to cut them down and do something with their vile timbers that they know their insult in the lands of Man have not gone unnoticed.

I mean, duh; they teach this is elementary school here in Burger land. Attack the Tree 101, pity that you europorians do not into such majestic education.

Plus, there's the Weather problem; much of the populated areas of America are rife with tornado, hurricane, flood planes, etc.

Since we are 100% insane, we fight the weather itself, and we fight hard.

Your mud construction techniques could not survive a tornado. It's impossible. A direct hit by a tornado is a more significant structural insult than the delivery of a bunker buster bomb.

So, since we have cheep lumber, and the building is likely to blow out ANYWAY, building a quick & dirty balloon platform frame makes more sense than laying out a billion blasted bricks just to see the thing get knocked down.
>>
File: 1458405598884.jpg (177KB, 600x1675px)
1458405598884.jpg
177KB, 600x1675px
>>1024022
Confirmed for not understanding the natural ecology of Western forests and the hubris of man building in areas where wildfires are a natural and necessary part of the ecosystem
You want REALLY shitty houses (and apartments too) come to Japan, where it costs 3-5x as much, there are no basements to take advantage of the small, expensive plots of land, houses are made of sticks, leaves, dirt, matchboxes, spit, and paper, people don't understand what insulation is, and all windows are single-pane because IT'S THE JAPANESE WAY NIPPON DAIICHI
>>
>>1024013
German this.. and German that.. oh my god, look at that German cock. Over engineering does not equal good engineering. It is a waste of time and resources. Simple as that. Most if not all new houses made in the states must be Hurricane proof and have 1-4 hour firewalls.
>>
>>1024083

>Cookie cutter Homes
>>
>>1024021
add on to this.

the government creates housing bubbles. because it creates work from people constantly tearing down old houses and putting up new houses.

Even suburban apartment buildings are lumber framed instead of steel and concrete.
>>
American here.

House is a stone and mortar, with a Doug Fur framing in the attic with a few 4x12 timbers. The base has the same.

All houses in the US aren't built with Dry Wall and wood. And a little known fact is: The dry regions of the US export some of the hardest, most dense timbers in the world.
>>
>>1024013
It's like Germans don't have earthquakes or something...
>>
>>1024013
>HE DOESN'T HAVE HIS HOUSE INSURED FOR 1.6X WHAT IT COST TO BUILD
I literally hope for my house to burn down or a tornado while I'm at work. It's getting a nicer new house for free.
When I was a kid, tornados destroyed ours, but the safe with pictures and heirlooms was safe.
We went from a 1980s like 1500sq ft to 1995 2200sqft at zero out of pocket. Staying with the grams was nice during cleanup and construction.

Literally why would you want to live in an outdated as fuck house? I go into ones made in 60s and want to blow my brains out.
>Then I visit yuros and you don't have AC, central heat or showers because that shits rocking the latest in 1800 technology with gas heat radiators and power nigger rigged on the wall.
>>
>>1024013
Barring a natural disaster, it is cheaper to maintain a timber framed home as a ship of thesus (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus) for the owner's life than it is to build a brick home and maintain it.

Timber framing became our de-facto mode of building after the war because of the housing boom, and never fell away.
>>
>>1024013
USA has a greater abundance of timber as well.
>>
>>1024013
Also Deutschland has the lowest home ownership in europe, renting increases income inequality
>>
>>1024264
>>1024265
They build houses out of dimensional lumber. Timber framing is something very different.
>>
>>1024013
Wood construction is preferred in seismic zones. A large part of the USA is capable of seismic activity. Most places though it's because wood is cheap here since the west coast is the only place I've lived where they have strict earthquake code.

Sounds like your building would collapse in a decent earthquake. But that's fine, when was the last 7.0 in Germany?
>WOODEN BUILDINGS: This is also most common type of construction in areas of high seismicity. It is also most suitable material for earthquake resistant construction due to its light weight and shear strength across the grains...

http://theconstructor.org/structural-engg/structural-design/performance-of-various-types-of-buildings-during-earthquake-5/2224/
>>
What were the construction costs, OP?
>>
>>1024013
>Ok.. WTF
>I just learned that Americans [FILL IN SOMETHING OBVIOUS]. What are they thinking?

classic trollolol, etc.
>>
>>1024020
That is only really common in upper-middle class areas where homes are selling for over $500k minimum. It's relatively rare as a percentage of all new home construction in most parts of the country.
>>
>>1024032
Not a good idea to build with masonry in California because it has zero seismic resistance.
>>
>>1024013
Hi op, I live in America, and my house has walls that are 1ft thick poured concrete, with 2/4 frame and drywall on the inside. In total, the walls are about a third of a meter thick. As for roofing, we have corrugated metal, that has paint and a UV coating on it.

The 2/4 and drywall/sheetrock houses you are talking about are what cheap people buy because they want to move into a pre built home that was built in under a week (typically a crew will be building several houses at a time, with each trade coming through his as the previous finishes just like an assembly line.
>>
>>1024454
>Living on a fault line to start with.
>>
>>1024013
Germans have wood only houses too, even in modern times with big wood frames, or old times like Fachwerkhäuser

souce: i live in an old "farm house" which was completely restored, ground level has stone walls and ontop of that multiple stories of just wood frames, but i think much thicker than american versions

even modern so called passiv houses here in germany are build with wood sometimes, but i think mostly just the first or second story
>>
>>1024432
Nor OP but i'd guess somewhere between 250 and 300k€, depending on whether it has a cellar or is a passive house.>>1024438
>>
>>1024329
>apartments
Is that true?

I don't think I've seen apartments made with lumber

I could be wrong, I'll also ask some family, there were complexes being built recently, could be that it is very normal and I didn't think twice
>>
>>1024287
>wildfires are necessary
Elaborate on this please, before you I write you off with three layers of irony and idiocy
>>
>>1024483
Fault lines, tornadoes, hurricanes, Islamics- everyplace has some kind of disaster that rolls through periodically. You adapt and get on with your life.
>>
>>1024679
Here. Educate yourself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ecology

Afterward, come back so we can discuss how Google and wikipedia best fit into a three-layered format of irony and idiocy.
>>
>>1024036
>And do you run all heating/ac on the outside?
AC isn't that common in Europe. You usually don't need it apart from maybe 2-3 weeks a year.
>>
>>1024160
There's plenty early 18th century wooden houses here in Trondheim, Norway. There'd probably be older ones if the city didn't burn down almost completely during that time. What I do notice though is that you regularly need to replace the exterior paneling with those.
>>
>>1024697

Most 'stick' houses (or many) now use Hardey board for siding. It looks pretty much identical to wood but is cement board and will easily survive a lifetime or two.
>>
>>1024679
Nigga are you serious?
>>
>>1024408
>>1024260
o i m laffin
>>
Hempcreate, nuff said
>>
>>1024697
>What I do notice though is that you regularly need to replace the exterior paneling with those.

That's the entire point of paneling (aka siding). It's supposed to take the brunt of the elements and then be replaced
>>
>>1024013
Polish fag here... F.Y.I. German OP Germans do prefab wooden houses in almost exactly same way the Americans do it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJ2o8MXL4k
>>
>>1024695
>AC isn't that common in Europe. You usually don't need it apart from maybe 2-3 weeks a year.
so you can't afford it?
>>
>>1024686
>More recent ecological research has shown, however, that fire is an integral component in the function and biodiversity of many natural habitats, and that the organisms within these communities have adapted to withstand, and even to exploit, natural wildfire. More generally, fire is now regarded as a 'natural disturbance', similar to flooding, wind-storms, and landslides, that has driven the evolution of species and controls the characteristics of ecosystems.

Wow
TIL

I think Google and wikipedia should have four layers of irony and six layers of idiocy, with a substrate made off eggs to put on my face between the two
>>
>>1024769
Is this viable material or a meme?
>>
>>1024013
We demolish houses really quickly and buy only new houses because we're afraid of ghosts
>>
>>1024820
So, I can build a home out of pot, and in 50 years it's stone.
There are lost puns here.
>>
>>1024813
Yea they can't, electricity and fuel is much more expensive.
>>
>>1024037
There are indeed a lot of wood houses in Europe, like mine. But they are not shitty drywall houses, they are solid timber houses. My house is almost 90 years old now, solid timber walls with extra insulation on the inside, much more skookum than an American house.
>>
>>1024677
Not too tall, of course, but I've definite seen 2-3 story apartments built out of wood. They're wide, not tall.
>>
>>1024287
>Implying I ever said fire was not necessary.
I just said our lands are badly managed BECAUSE we try to stop all fires and did so for 60 years, and the hippies have stopped us from letting them burn because muh conservation.

We can't clear brush or let it burn, so we're just fucked whenever a fire starts, which is all the fucking time.
>>
I hate that modern houses are so cheaply made with shit.
>>
The US has tornadoes. At least in my neck of the woods, Kansas, the average tornado would still level your house if hot directly. Talking up to 300mph straight line winds, that can drop about anywhere, nearly half the year. Not worth it to spend twice as much or more for the same result.
>>
>>1024013
Timber is way cheaper in the US than Europe so it makes sense to build houses from bricks.
>>
>>1024820
2000 years old, nigga we were kings and shit

this is retarded and its no more than 20 years old as "technique" that some smelly yosemite cucked hippie came up with

the actual concrete that the Romans used i the most durable one, even tho its not reinforced with steel, its better for the same reason, you can see the pantheon that is actually 2000 years old and the coupole is build out of it, still going strong today and forever will.
>>
It's easier to tear down an outdated wooden house than a brick and concrete house.
>>
>>1024980
with modern tech its the same, the buldozer comes with 2 or 3 trucks at the end of the day its grounded
>>
>>1024813
>>1024845
Interestingly, heat pumps are getting increasingly common in my country due to high fuel and electricity prices and they usually provide cooling as well.
But yeah, cooling isn't needed that much.

>>1024972
Timber isn't particularly expensive here, but people rarely build their main house from it. It's a common material for sheds and other unheated buildings, though.
>>
>>1024993
With a wooden house you just ask the fire marshal to burn it down for you, as long a it asbestos free.

They get somewhere to do some training and you get a vacant lot.
>>
>>1025034
Wow, nice.
I din't know that I am from europe, if I ask the fire guys here to do this, I'll end up in prison or something.
>>
>>1024840
And no one is mad if it burn down.
>hey, dude. nice burn...
>>
File: 1410434683849.jpg (76KB, 700x525px)
1410434683849.jpg
76KB, 700x525px
>>1025034
I-is this legit? you just burn it down in a controlled way? Id think there are heaps of companies trying to strip the house of everything valuable including grinding the wood to make pellets or some shit?

sounds fucking awesome to be honest

>honey, the neighbours are moving out, theyre throwing a goodbye barbecue party
>sweet, do they need another grill?
>nah, theyre fine
>>
>>1025074
You strip oit all the plumbing and anything of value you bother getting oit of it. Or you put an ad on Craigslist and someone will do it you. I've done that before. It's fun to go with a buddy with a crowbar and mallet amd collect scrap for a day.
>>
>>1025074
http://epa.ohio.gov/portals/41/sb/publications/BurningHouse.pdf

I'm as shocked (and somewhat amused) as you.
>>
>>1025080
>>1025074
What is there to be shocked about?
It's a really good way to practice real life fire stuff.
I had an old family home that we had burnt down.
The fireman came in, blocked all the glass off with wood. They used some special paint on the walls, did a few other things to a stripped house. They were able to easily control it.

I doubt they would to it to a house that has really close neighbors though.
A lot of houses where I live have an acre or two each and no fire could hit another house, even if I just set the house alight myself with no fireman preparation
>>
>>1025098
That would have been amazing to see.

I >>1025080 guess I mean shocked as in "holy shit that's a good idea that I have never encountered before".. A cursory search revealed no such regulations or process here in ausfailia, but yeah, I certainly can't think of a better way to train firies than by burning down some shit IRL.
>>
>>1025077
i see, so its only the wooden "skeleton" left

>>1025080
>>1025098
using this as a training for a fire brigade is a pretty neat idea
>>
>>1024820
I have seen homes made out of hempcreate, I think it takes about 3 to 4 months for the stuff to be petrified enough
>>
>>1024083
Yeah, these are not really that common except in way out in the boonies. Most older houses in the US are made of bricks.
>>
>>1025074
>heaps of companies trying to strip the house of everything valuable including grinding the wood to make pellets or some shit?

not really.
While the wiring and copper plumbing is worth a little money you will find that most of the mass of a house is harder to get rid of. Asphalt-base shingles are sometimes considered a hazard or nuisance waste, more expensive to dispose of, and insulation, plastic-compound siding and drywall are all bulky and worthless.

The wood itself could be worth a bit of money but there is no infrastructure for processing and handling it. Who assumes liabilty for old wood rafters that fail, etc. The markets for pelletized wood products are filled by waste material from the mills that produced the lumber in the first place.

The common situation is to contract with a specialist demo company. They will strip out wires, pipes, fittings to defray costs slightly, then tear the place down into a pile, load into some dump trucks and the house is gone.
>>
>>1025221

The hell do you lot live that you don't see these? Tract houses are THE staple suburban home. There are tens of millions of them all over the place. There's almost nothing BUT generic, wood-framed cut-n-paste houses and McMansions where I live (southern California Orange/Los Angeles area).

Same goes for virtually any suburban area developed in the last 50-ish years.
>>
>>1024013
Building houses quickly is something of a 'Murrican habit, part of our frontier heritage.
>>
>>1024013
america is a capitalistic country so the cheaper the product the more they can ship out. then every one needs a home so Supply and demand kick in. so since they have to supply it they charge more for the cheaper material. so the poor still stay poor and the rich get richer. idk i guess its economics?
>>
>>1025722
Let me know when you want to build a house for free.
>>
>>1024013
Because they care about the environment. Concrete production contributes about 6 percent of all CO2 generation each year while wood is a carbon sink.
>>
>>1024118
wow lot of nerve to construct open type window.safe country i guess.from where i came from steel grill is norm and a must.
>>
>>1026792
We have plenty of grills in dark areas. Most of the US is safe tho.
>>
>>1024020
>There are a lot of neighborhoods with old brick houses
Most old brick houses are brick veneer. The supports are actually wood.
>>
>>1025757
That's absolutely incorrect. The Americans build that way because it's cheaper. Brick, stone, and cement are prohibitively expensive to be the norm.
>>
>>1024013
I agree. I have been living in Italy for some time now, and I couldn't go back to feeling safe living in an American house, really. I've gotten used to thick cement, stone, and plaster walls.
>>
>>1024022
No, they won't.
>>
>>1024820
according to wikipedia, this shit has 1/20 of the strength or RESIDENTIAL concrete
so basically you'll still need some other structure to hold the house
>>
>>1026841
until there's an earthquake and that shit becomes your tomb
>>
>>1026792
Depends on where you live. I have an 8x8ft picture window. My cousin who lives near Urban Youths has wood in half his windows because bars don't stop bullets.
>>
>>1024083
I've lived in 3 cookie cutter homes in the last 8 years, 1 from the 50s, 2 from the late 60s, all of them were fine. Well, except one had an issue, it was a bi-level(half of the first level is below ground), but instead of poured concrete they went with hollow cinder blocks. Not good in my climate where we hit 100 in the summer with a ton of rain and -20 in the winter with a ton of snow. The mortar eventually split and it started flooding. What might blow you're mind is that most American houses aren't secured to the foundation, I'm not sure how it's done in Germany. Your building method is very solid, but ours is solid enough.

Typically with a basement we have at least 1 steel I beam running the centerline of the house, running parallel to cement or cinder block walls, with joists running perpendicular and resting on both walls and the I beam. Then we have a subfloor, thick plywood or osb secured to the tops of the joists, which makes that frame very ridgid. A 2x4 frame is is secured to the joists, and the outside walls are covered in osb or ply, which makes them very ridgid. It actually makes a very solid house. I used to work in a neighborhood where they were taking down houses. I watched a house from the 20s that was burned out severely get taken out by a massive backhoe. It could pull 8'x10'x4" cement slabs out of the ground without issue, but it struggled for 8 minutes to get the first wall down, eventually putting itself though the wall several feet, pulling the house off its foundation on one side to a 45° angle, and letting it collapse under its own weight by slamming it back down. It was one of the most wild things I had ever seen.
>>
>>1024294
no shit. i worked with germans and swiss and most seemed to have the attitude that they were somehow better than us in the US. There are plenty of high quality homes in the US including underground homes and high quality steel and/or concrete walled homes that will take a hit from a severe storm and some, even a tornado.

YOU CAN BUILD WHATEVER YOU WANT here. Houses built with dimensional lumber are relatively inexpensive and look great & are easy to maintain.

If you got the $ you go ahead and build your fuggen concrete house here in the US and sometimes people do. The attitude that "everyone in america build cheap home dum american" is shortsighted and incorrect.
>>
>>1024022
Yeah nature sucks...
>>
>>1024823
/Thread
>>
>>1026895
The hippies interfere with nature too you dumb shit, they just think they are doing it better by preserving all the choking under brush and fuel, AND not letting it burn naturally either, because even letting it burn is bad because fires are bad mmkay.
>>
>>1024013
We have not been fire bombed, so we don't fear fire like that.
>>
>>1024269
>balloon platform
Nicely done
>>
>>1024394
>power nigger rigged on the wall.
At least in north American, with our "shitty stick framed houses" we can run electrical and HVAC in the walls. With electrical it can usually even be done with no visible damage to the house
>>
>>1024823
This.
>spooky poltergeist not so tough since haunt got bulldozed.jpeg
>>
>>1026888
Those old cinder block walls from the 60s never had dimple board, and most weren't tarred either. Hydrostatic pressure is a bitch. It's pretty cheap to get locates, dig around the house to the footings, and install drainage/dimpleboard, and never have an issue again
>>
I often wonder how much logic actually goes into building methods and how much is tradition. I mean stick frame is super cheap but much of that is because evyone builds that way so there are huge economiis of scale. 300mm concrete ceilings are absurd but if everyone is doing it your home value is probably shit if you dont

In western Australia everything is clay double brick externals, single brick internals, timber roof, and zincalum or concrete tile roof plumbing. This is the cheapest option only because it is what the big builders do anything else is a custom job so they charge accordingly.

In eastern Australia everything is single brick with timber framing. Double brick is unheard of.

I'm northern Australia only a weirdo would get a tile roof .

None of this is logical
>>
>>1025221
You've never been out of the south have you?
Cookie cutter homes literally produced the first suburban areas in the US, adjacent and outside of urban areas for upper-class white families that wanted to get away from over-crowded and crappy boondocks flooded with poor minorities (whiteflight iirc). Literally every suburb is based around rapidly produced housing set up over large areas using these houses. Probably the most common type of housing on the coasts. This happened in the 50s or 60s I believe so yeah, wont find those from before that time period.
>>
>>1025753
Letting you know: I want to build a house for free. How does this work? I live in Indiana and recently inherited eight acres up in St Joseph county. A free house is exactly what I need, and I need it sooner rather than later.
>>
I asked my uncle who have a construction company about this.
>"well m8, timber is expensive. Depending on what type of brick you're usings it's usually cheaper. Labour costs are also low, so it isn't really big difference if you'll build house in a day or in a week."
But that's only Poland. However I imagine it isn't that different in Western Europe.
>>
>>1027344
you have eight acres, you don't need all eight to build a house, you can sell the seven and use the money to build a house, and you have left over money even. FREE HOUSE and FREE MONEY
>>
>>1027363
Fuck that, those eight acres are my birthright. I'll not be selling even half of one.
>>
>live in a small city (like legally just over the density required)
>literally not a single apartment buildings (the closest we get is the retirement building or two-floor projects)
>probably 75% of the homes are 50+ years old
>probably like 10% are older than 75
>renters charge medium-high rates (not terrible, but wages are low in our area)
>live in houses that Hitler could've been born in

>friends house had a limited electrical fire
>it was knob-and-tube (1880s-1930s)
>they re-did all the wiring
>additionally a support beam had rotted
>put in fucking steel i-beam
>problem solved

American housing longevity is the reason we have to deal with stupidly high rental rates and "real estate dynasties". Pretty much any town/city you look at, there's 2-3 families or corporations that own 90+% of the real estate, and the pass huge amounts of laws to fuck up anyone trying to build new properties. My house has fucking asbestos on half the pipes in the basement. As long as water doesn't get into the walls, they'll usually be 100% fine.

San Francisco recently passed a law requiring solar panels on all new residences, and the normal response wasn't "what a bureaucratic shitstorm" it was "they're building new residences?!?!"
>>
>>1026841
>there's an earthquake and that shit becomes your tomb
>>1026855
Excactly : in New Zealand [the shaky isles] the houses are built of wood, with corrugated steel roofs ; so that they can withstand Earthquakes - Everything that fell and killed people in the last two quakes was masonry.
At the opposite end look at Timber construction in the Cyclonic parts of Australia : houses often get built there with brick veneer ; but the brick is just a "veneer" - the Timber is the structure : the Timber resists the Wind-Loads , the brick is just there because don't want to re-paint the outside.
>>
>>1027330
Yeah , I'm from Eastern Australia - I was amazed when I found that double-brick was common in WA - so I looked it up : the only reason if could find for all that mass and cost is : Large Daily temperature range - you need the thermal-mass to damp-down the changes. Whereas much of the East-coast has the temp moderated by coming across the continent first and a significant moderating effect from the Ocean East of the Great Divide.

Northern Australia - Tin roof : that's easy : reflectance and LACK of thermal inertia [my roof is White : I can stand on it on a summer day in bare feet and the steel feels a bit cool under my feet]

A Good reference for house design is greehouse.gov.au - it basically shows that even as far South as Sydney Thermal-Mass is a bad thing , or at least a complete waste of money.

And in Tasmania you want Fixed-Glass [no-one opens their windows] North-facing with massive solar-gain.
Whereas in the Tropics you want Huge East and West overhangs - to stop the morning and afternoon sun - in the middle of the day the sun is straight-up.
>>
File: Murivo_-_väzák.jpg (261KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Murivo_-_väzák.jpg
261KB, 750x1000px
bump
>>
File: jacquefrescoonlythefuture.png (103KB, 220x245px) Image search: [Google]
jacquefrescoonlythefuture.png
103KB, 220x245px
>>1024013
it literally just has to last long enough for the speculators to sell it
every step of the entire process is just about being cheap, fast, covering the previous guy"s shoddy work, and looking presentable in the final picture
it's terrible and disgusting
they get run down and fall apart in a few years then they tear them down and do it again
our landfills are mostly construction waste and every street everywhere is packed with construction vehicles, the roads all constantly torn up and patched to put in new plumbing
eventually, the money will move on and they will give up and we'll be left with yet another dilapidated rundown suburb
wtf indeed
>>
>>1030538
A bit extreme, brother. It's hard to argue the American way building homes is the best way, but it certainly isn't the worst.
>>
File: it keeps happening.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
it keeps happening.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>1030538
Living in a 50 year old american stick house in earthquake country right now, friend.
>>
>>1030523
Wiener Burger.
>>
>>1026981

Give me the locates, Donald
>>
>>1027363

Land price per acre might not even cover a house with 50 acres sold, idiot
>>
>>1024013
I am originally from Switzerland, but my family is German. Here in the US, contractors like to build cheap things that break down so that they can be paid to build something in the future the infrastructure breaks down. I am not a huge fan of Sweden, but why is it that they can build roads that last 50 years, yet here in the US we build roads that last 2-5 years? It is because the government is cheap, and anyone in real estate is mainly in it for the money. There is your answer. There are plenty of 100 year old houses still standing here in Minnesota, but they are not built out of drywall. Wood however can be a great building material. Just look at Badishe Heuse.
>>
File: the-yankee-doodle-mouse.jpg (43KB, 450x334px) Image search: [Google]
the-yankee-doodle-mouse.jpg
43KB, 450x334px
I always wondered as a kid how solid brick walls somehow had these huge interior spaces in Tom & Jerry cartoons.
>>
>>1024076
I grew up in a farmhouse built in 1690.
>>
>>1030940
They barely had drywall 100 years ago wiseass. It didn't become common until after WWII. Its like saying you don't see any 100 year old airplanes or digital computers being used anymore. Clearly its because of planed obsolescence, right? My house is 65 years old and its got the original drywall. Original wood siding too. If you care for shit it lasts. Outside of having to paint it every decade or so its fine.
>>
It is capitalism at its finest. Companies bid against each other every step of the way. You have a large plot of land prime for development. Companies bid to buy the land. As they develop and pay to put in the cost of all the modern necessities, water, sewage, etc. All that upfront cost and the houses haven't been built yet. They want the houses built as cheaply as possible to increase profit margins, so all the contractors bid against each other to put in the bare minimum as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately quality and attention to detail suffer from these production builds. You can get anything built however you want as long as it meets all applicable codes, but you have to have the cash and a builder who is willing to work with you. There are many builders who love working with custom homes and wouldn't mind at all designing a German style home and there are cheap builders like Drees who you pick a floor plan and you can't even so much as get a custom countertop put in-you build it their way and you change it after you buy the home.

I bought a production building in an old area. Previous house burnt to the ground due to an idiot owning it. Bought it at bottom of housing crisis so when I sell it the plot/house will be worth an estimated $10-20K more than what I paid for it. Going to pay to design and build a house the way I want and it will be a solid brick home. Interior will be drywall and wood though. As long as it is built well it and taken care of it will last many lifetimes.
>>
File: IMG_20160616_185740.jpg (666KB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160616_185740.jpg
666KB, 3120x4160px
I bought my first house about a year ago, it was built in 1915. Wooden structure, not entirely sure what the foundation is made of.

The interior and exterior have been well taken care of, most of the original wood is still in place. The electrical was updated sometime in the 70s, so no more knob and tube wiring with exception to a bit in the attic.

It has a gravity furnace (aka The Octopus), but was upgraded in the 60s with an gas heater.

The home inspector said it was amazing we found one in this good of condition for the price, most have an owner at some point who deffer maintenance and something down the line needs major fixing.

The exterior gets painted every few years, and the roof gets re-shingled when necessary.

There are definitely some quirks to it, but it feels cool living in something 101 years old.

Really excited to do some gardening next year.

Pic related, it is the old Minneapolis gas logo on the heater. That's not quite PC anymore!
>>
>>1031068
>It has a gravity furnace (aka The Octopus
I know its tempting to keep it but toss that shit in the garbage where it belongs, they are so inefficient.
>>
>>1031081
>>1031068

Agreed. They were generally somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60% efficient. Modern furnaces are almost always 90% or more. They were also commonly insulated with asbestos. So keep an eye out for that.
>>
>>1031081
>>1031089

Yeah, they are not very efficient at all. Luckily natural gas is cheap right now.

It is insanely quiet and has no moving parts to break, which is great.

It is wrapped in asbestos and takes up 60% of my tiny basement, which is not great.

I will probably get some estimates for replacing it at some point here soon.
>>
>>1024013
>11,5 cm sand-lime brick for the outside, 5cm air, 8 cm polystyrene for isolation and another 11,5 cm sand-lime brick for the inside.
>Our ceiling is 30 cm reinforced concrete supported with two horizontal steel T-beams.
Wait. Germans don't use platinum to frame their houses? Don't they know it's a superior building material?
>>
>live in a house that is 80 years old
>It's still standing despite existing in a hurricane zone

Why would you not?
>>
>>1026855
If decently built and in respecyt of the local laws an house can withstand the hardest earthquake we can have. Second, it's not about the material you use but how you built the fondation mostly.
>>
>>1024979
omg nigger...stfu and leave this board
>>
>>1024287
Base entirely on one podcast, but apparently japs hate old shit more than americans but for quasi philosophical reasons instead of complete hedonism. Cars are usually bought new and houses are rarely maintained and eventually demolished (by god or just because). Do they really not get insulation? It is neither exspensive or complicated.
>>
>>1024013
Why would you like to live in a house where you can not demonstrate your dominance by punching holes in your walls out of anger?
>>
Not every american home is built like this. Not that it's nearly as sturdy as yours, but many many houses build here in Florida are built out of concrete block.
>>
>>1024124
You're welcome
>just had 60 acres logged
>>
>>1024013
/Biz/ here

The answer is economic.

Euros usually have family lands handed down to them because regulations and ordinance and lack of supply mean land is expected to be expensive, and as such putting a multi generational home on such land makes economic sense.

In North America and Australia, the capital Growth on the dirt itself far outweighs the value of the improvement being a home. As such something just functional which is cheap to maintain, cheap to fit out with prefab materials, with no load bearing walls and finally on a slab or stumps makes far more economic sense, because if the land is every worth far more in equity than the
Purchase price a refurbishment or complete demolition is a very cheap and quick event.

If you have a unique building akin to an old stone chapel after decades of capital growth you may have councils slapping a heritage order or overlay on your property restricting redevelopment.

The cookie cutter model used in Australia, Canada, the USA etc works best for them because of Capital
Growth and highest and best use opportunities and fluidity in renovation styles for marketability.
European homes are literally set in stone.
>>
>>1031224

When I was younger I wondered how Americans were so strong to punch right through doors and why at the age of 14 I didn't have a full on 5 o'clock shadow like the highschool kids you saw on TV.
>>
>>1031846
This, and the housing market growth after WWII, which was really crazy.

Long story short the cheapest bidders won so much that the cheap model was literally codified as the standard to an extent. In some places the permitting costs of using steel or stone are so high you are basically required to use cheap wood and dry wall (aka. paper and chalk dust).

>The United States of America, the land known for freedom*
>*unless you want to build a study house, then it is complicated, for your safety
>>
>>1024269
Old lumber which use to be use all the time has 3 to 4 times the strength. However we basically harvested all of those and we wouldn't wait 150~200 years for new old growth when a 10 year old tree has the same volume and people pay by the foot not the tensile strength.

Also aerodynamic mud huts with thick walls should do surprisingly well against a tornado, as it is nearly an earthen structure at that point. and labs in Canad have shown slight modification can make then near invincible to earthquakes. Plus dirt doesn't burn well so fire hazard is near zero.
Make you wonder why we don't have more mud huts, given our advancement in mud hut technology (and use the phase mud hut technology in a serious sense) .
>>
>>1031865
Monolithic domes are one of the strongest structures out there, quake resistant, fire and flood proof, energy efficient, no guttering, ready for occupancy from green field in days, cheap.

Yet they're illegal to build in many regions
>>
>>1024023
Typically 100-200 years depending on how well it was maintained. So like 4 or 5 generations.
>>
>>1030523
mnfg shit looks so familiar probably from my region
>>
File: mcmansion.jpg (34KB, 400x202px) Image search: [Google]
mcmansion.jpg
34KB, 400x202px
>>1024013
>What are they thinking?

Money.

Contractors love money and they get paid by the job. so, they have developed materials that are cheap, super fast to install, and will have all manner of repair problems inside of 20 years most of the time (job security).

We had 2 roofing contractors in my area go to every single house and convince the owners to replace their nice 150 year old slate roofs with asphalt shingles. When I showed up to get the slate, I found that they had taken a hammer and smashed them to small pieces before chucking them into the big bin.

>>1024024
>americans build cheap houses with cheap material that are erected in a matter of weeks/months

3 months and my neighbors built a $2million USD McMansion that looks like a pile of shit. I watched the entire construction. It is all normal 2x4 stud construction for the skeleton and OSB boards that went up for all 4 floors. When the roof was put on, the brick walls went up (1 brick thick). It is nearly identical to this one in this image, only it has 1 extra floor, and is wider.
>>
>>1032090
The US is not as settled as Europe so it's not worth spending the money on homes which will be torn down for replacement or development. Today's suburb is tomorrrow's city. The rich routinely buy perfectly sound old mansions for the land under them.
>>
>>1032575
>looks like a pile of shit
jealousy.
>>
>>1032575

That's all $2 million US gets you?

Considering your ultra cheap materials and no life span that is extremely expensive.

Do you pay laborers $200 a day or something?
>>
>>1032657
How much does a 6,000 square foot (560 square meter) cost in your neck of the woods?
>>
>>1032657
~80% of all construction cost is labor
>>
>>1032696

On an acre of land, a 6000 sq ft home with nice finishing (minus automation and home control), $220,000 USD. 1 mile away from the sea with a good view.

Jam up on a half acre of land in a 6,000 square foot home and you are up to $500,000

Mind you as well these are concrete footing, slab, beams and columns, block and steel roof structures built to withstand hurricanes.

The cost of construction is about 1/3 labor 2/3 material. But our material is more expensive than your retail Home Depot prices even at with our contractor and bulk buy discounts so I assume that you guys pay a lot for labor and the lack thereof.

A 100 lbs sack of Portland type 2 cement is $9.25 at retail prices and only reduced to $8.92 when you bulk buy.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (200KB, 662x1089px)
aaa.jpg
200KB, 662x1089px
>>1024013

Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) is the superior method for most homes. Hollow foam bricks snap together like Lego, then filled with concrete. The foam acts as insulation and vapor barrier, while the concrete acts as the structural component. Webbing built into the foam act as anchor points for drywall and other cladding.

Basically you trade a concrete pump truck + operator for a crew of framers and you can pour up to 20ft of vertical wall at once.

The US DoD uses ICF for most newer buildings and uses an additive called Helix (helical shaped galvanized steel wire) in place of rebar where applicable ... giving it the ability to survive 10lbs of C4 explosive strapped to the wall. Their previous means for 'explosion proof' buildings were simple CMU brick + rebar then coated in the stuff used in spray on bed liners.
>>
>>1032760
I live in a 'city' of about 80k people. An acre of land within the city limits, with no house and no services, is about $200k. A two bedroom, one bath house with a 1 car garage (about 1000 square feet of living space) adds maybe $50k-$100k to the cost of that land. Not the value of course though.

Out in the sticks but still in the same county an acre of unimproved land costs about $40k. Really get into the woods and you can pick up an acre for $8k-$15k. Generally you need to buy at least several acre to get that price though. Many of the lots wont be broken up any smaller because of poor road access. Even then you gotta drive for a few hours on shit roads to get to land that cheap.

That said, where I live is pretty awesome and lots of people want to live here, which is why the prices are high.
>>
>>1032819
Sucks for you.
A really nice plot of land around here is a tiny bit north of 1500 dollars an acre.
>>
>>1032792
But if the land underneath the frame changes, the concrete will still crack, rendering it due for expensive replacement. This is not suitable for people in seismic zones or people who aren't paranoid about jihadi bombers.
>>
>>1032819
Expensive? The average house price where I live is 550,000, with many suburbs easily reaching 1,000,000. It's the bloody Chinese.
>>
>>1032609
Hardly. I'd rather build a small stone cottage for $2mil than a massive pile of crap.

>>1032657
I've no clue what labor costs these days, I diy all my stuff and don't have friends in that business. I also don't associate with my neighbors since they are massive rednecks.

>>1032822
Same. Land us ultra cheap here. Then again it is a flyover state, but the hunting and fishing are amazing.
>>
>>1032839
Western Australia?
>>
>>1032837

95% of the US is a seismic zone?
>>
>>1032792
>you can pour up to 20ft of vertical wall at once

Jesus, it must cost $100k just for framing that so it doesn't bust out at the bottom.
>>
>>1032906
>Hardly. I'd rather build a small stone cottage for $2mil than a massive pile of crap.

For that money you'd get a larger-than-OPs fieldstone house in the US with all the cool concrete OP would use in a German house.
>>
>>1032942
No, ICF don't rely heavily on framing. That's the beauty of that method!

Check it out. ICF is slicker than deer guts on a doorknob.
>>
>>1032837
Not if the concrete is properly reinforced.

ICF is mature technology.

http://www.cement.org/concrete-basics/buildings-structures/design-aids/insulating-concrete-forms

http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/4/aft/79469/afv/topic/Default.aspx
>>
>>1024013
>52m2 wood/drywall row house in Finland costs ~250k€ in a shitty city with no economy
>Same size as a standalone in the US is like 20k€
It hurts to live.
>>
>>1032951
>>1032952
Fucking ICF shills, get out out reeeeeeeeeeee.
>>
>>1033531

What are all those people even doing?
>>
>>1024020

>There are a lot of neighborhoods with old brick houses that are still perfectly functional, but nobody wants to live in them.

It is the amount of niggers and the crime they bring with them in the areas that make people not want to live there and drive the cost of houses down. Which in turn invites more niggers to make more crime.

In my old town there were some fucking NICE houses that the owners let get run down to the point of being worthless. Poor people in general do not take care of their shit but the victorian style houses the niggers ruin are just sad to look at and think of what they used to look like.
>>
>>1032837
what an idiot you are, stupid faggot.

the concrete will never crack if its properly reinforced and thick enough, there is simple rule of thumb where I live, every building should be -70cm underground (thats the frost line minimum) and add the 1/2 of the height under it, so for a 4 meter high building the footings should be 2.70 meters underground, if the region is rated as seismetic, the building should touch the nearest rock, so it can go up do 10-20 meters, even for a 2 story building, this solves the problem with cracking, as for light and cheap construction, you can always build an metal framed with concrete footing and drywall walls building everywhere.
>>
>>1032950
No, for $2mill going into a stone cottage, it'd be very tricked out. Peach bottom slate roof with copper flashing trim & valleys, 3 feet thick granite walls, arched Gothic stained glass windows, marble floors, hammerbeam ceilings, so on and so forth. By the time I was done with it, it'd be a national historic landmark.
>>
>>1033543
>n word

/pol/, please leave
>>
File: 1403616943331.png (162KB, 1024x896px) Image search: [Google]
1403616943331.png
162KB, 1024x896px
>>1033558

Truth hurt your feelings?
>>
>>1033567
OP seems to be a dick who wants to pick a fight. And you are one also.

I usually skip these silly threads. Still I wonder what is the need to kill another thread for a brainfart like this :/
>>
>>1032951
>20 ft at once
>no framing
>20 ft of concrete supported by 2 inches of styrofoam.
We must have different definitions for 'at once'
>>
>>1033556
Correctomundo. Two extra large stacks goes a looong way.
Just gotta have the right guy with his right people.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (28KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
ITT: Eurockuck thinks his space-age Nazi Concrete is superior to unbreakable, American Hardwood.
>>
>>1033558
>"n word"
>butthurt over the word "nigger"
>on 4chan
Get the fuck out. Maybe tumblr is the safe space you're looking for. This is the wild west, faggot.
>>
File: 1111.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>1033754

Vertical bracing is temporarily attached on the interior while pouring. This supports the wall, provides a means to plumb the wall, and a scaffoldway for the worker pouring concrete (and a guy or two using a vibratory hammer to remove voids).

Here is a video of an ICF project where 20ft was poured at once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYVXzedVqA
>>
>>1033913
>4chan
>wild west
Sorry dude you missed the boat by about 8 years. 4chan is like 1900 Phoenix AZ
>>
>>1033997
So true.
>>
im from florida and most houses here are made from concrete. from my understanding other states may be more prone to earthquakes so they would build wooden houses while we are prone to hurricanes hence the concrete.
>>
>>1024813
There's around 7 days a year here that an AC might be needed. I live in a house that is so well insulated that the heat doesn't really affect the inside. I've had an air exchange system with heat and cooling function. It's comfy with AC those 7 days it might be needed. Last year though the temps never rose above 14C here during the summer.

Everyone here are more focused about which method to heat the house with. Some go geothermal (at least 10 times more expensive than your AC poorfag), others go heat exchange from exhaust air, ground heat, solar heat, boiling systems fuelled by wood or other sources or just long distance heating.
>>
>>1026818
>>There are a lot of neighborhoods with old brick houses
>Most old brick houses are brick veneer. The supports are actually wood

This is quite true. I bought a solid brick home (built in 1933,) that had already had the work done to bring it up to code. When I set up the insurance, I told them "solid brick." The guy says "Are you sure it's not veneer?" "No, it's solid brick. I've got brick on brick, and the inside of the home is plaster on lath.

The guy ended up getting his supervisor to help, because apparently Allstate doesn't know how to code/calculate the rebuild cost of a true all brick construction.
>>
>>1033540
Molesting an ICF brick. Perverts...
>>
>>1032906
what general area do you live in? i been considering moving to a more rural area, what are the ups and downs?
>>
>Live in some townhome built in the 50s
>Landlord doesn't tell me I should get a 24ft+ ladder in order to service fucking gutters
>I've got black "staining" on the brick facing of all the windows
>Looks shitty as fuck
>Retarded ass excuse of a "backyard" is simply a fucking nuisance I have to worry about every couple months
>Severe overgrowth like jumanji sprung up overnight.

>Spent 2 years waiting for the retarded fuck to deal with a wild life invasion.
>625usd a month for this shit.
Am I wrong for being pissed out of my mind?
>>
>>1034929
Generally the tenant is responsible for maintaining the back yard of a home unless the rental agreement specifically says otherwise. Hell, every place I have ever rented that wasn't an apartment said I was responsible for all landscaping related expenses. Ditto for cleaning gutters, washing windows, etc. Read your rental agreement. See what you are responsible for and what they are responsible for. If its not in the agreement and its not covered by local landlord/tenant laws than its generally on you.
>>
>>1034929
Yep, except you shouldn't be pissed at the work, you should be pissed that you're paying a landlord for the privilege of keeping up *his* property.
>>
>>1024013
Because William Levitt
>>
>>1031222
They don't get insulation, no. These are people who open the windows in winter so "the fresh air blows the germs away" and people don't catch colds. They then proceed to whine and whine about how cold it is. Meanwhile there's no soap in bathrooms and sickness abounds.This is a country where HVAC "specialists" go around checking electric-only air conditioner/heaters for carbon monoxide because they don't understand how it's different from the kerosene heaters.

People keep old stuff because they can't embrace change, and people have basically been brainwashed into thinking they need new houses, old houses are bad, etc so when they move they demolish the old house and build a new cookiecutter shitshack on the lot. So nobody builds to last, and materials are piss-poor. They don't even use double-pane windows. Then you have ancient rusting hulks everywhere where people have died but the land still sits with the family, or people refuse to maintain their homes, and it's more expensive to raze it than it is to let it rot.

Shit's fucked, man. It's cool to visit but you don't want to live there.
>>
>>1026792
That is what the steel shutters are for.
>>
>>1033543
can confirm , nobody wants this shit.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/251-S-Maffit-St-Decatur-IL-62521/84810370_zpid/
>>
>>1037033
>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/251-S-Maffit-St-Decatur-IL-62521/84810370_zpid/
dat got tenants - if they actually paid anything (? doubtful, esimate is about double price) - its a gold mine.

>http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/937-E-North-St-Decatur-IL-62521/84809949_zpid/

check out the fireplace ;) empty, big, $10k. Your mortgage be a dollar a day. Must be some funky locale.
>>
File: image.jpg (211KB, 1223x506px)
image.jpg
211KB, 1223x506px
>>1032792
This anon gets it.
>>
>>1033754
I poured a 20' ICF firewall between two condo units in one pour. Four lifts. No blowouts.
>>
>>1032837
Disagree. An ICF foundation tied with rebar to the footer and slab would be like a concrete battleship floating along with any seismic event.
>>
>>1024062
Oldest house in the US is made of mud from 1610
>>
>>1037068
concrete fresh poured workers leave
fill pic related with acetone and pump it up
spray the base of neighbors new home
watch everything collapse
>>
>>1024813
No, Europe is like the Northeastern US which doesn't get very warm.

I'm from Jersey and was stationed in Europe. The climate is often damp and quite mild.
>>
>>1025757
Nobody in the US who is a building contractor gives a rat's ass about muh CO2. Concrete is HEAVY, EXPENSIVE, and must be poured before it hardens. Ya can't just leave in in the cement mixer.

Wood framing is cheap, light, easy to build and easy to fix if your crew fucks up. We have millions of acres of pine forests. Pine in areas like SC is a crop, logged, planted and logged again.
>>
>>1026841
Check the pics of what Italian earthquakes DO to those comfy homes.
>>
>>1030925
Throw a trailer on that motherfucker, build a workshop, then build a house.

Alternate option, pole building shop then modify as residence. My redneck mechanic bros often do that.

Not free but not fucking hard either.
>>
>>1032942
>Jesus, it must cost $100k just for framing that so it doesn't bust out at the bottom.

No. Have a look at ICF construction and you'll see why. It's mature technology.
>>
>>1036913
NIce! Perfect for storms.
>>
>>1038084
So you can do the same to a frame house with a match. What's the point.
>>
America is full of retards who love their ugly cardboard McMansions. Builders can sell a 100k house for $1 million because of this stupidity.
>>
>>1032609
It does look like crap though. McMansions have no design sense, everything is based on interior space rather than aesthetically pleasing and functional design. They are ugly as fuck.
>>
>>1024013
earthquake zones wont ever use brick. welcome to cali.
>>
That's why whenever a fire breaks out the house ignites like a match and is gone in like 30 minutes because it's made from shitty materials and is way overpriced
>>
>>1024682
Well I have to say that where I live has none of them.

Every couple of years it hails and that's a really big deal. But for a house hail is no problem.
>>
File: 140605_nebraska_hail_lg.jpg (201KB, 660x476px) Image search: [Google]
140605_nebraska_hail_lg.jpg
201KB, 660x476px
>>1038680
I guess no one died.
>>
>>1038685
Holy shit, was that some crazy hail or some weak building materials?

Looks like thin plastic siding over foam?
>>
>>1024013
It's called balloon frame construction. The whole reason it started was because it was more efficient in terms of construction time, labor, and materials. The reason it's still done is that almost 200 years later there's no evidence that it doesn't last as long, or is more susceptible to disaster.

It looks weaker, but for everything except a plane dropping onto it, it's just as safe. Before you start claiming fire hazard, if you're stuck inside a modern American or European construction home while it's on fire, you're just as dead. It's easier to rebuild the European one afterwards, but the residents as just as dead.
>>
>>1038688
We had so much hail one day this summer the city had to hook up the snow plows to deal with it all

After every big ass hail storm auto body places and roofing companies have a celebration.
>>
German wood is weak. *Said with deep swedish accent" i know they build roofs in germany with glued beams, but german wood in general grows too fast to be strong.

In sweden, we build mostly with wood, easy to work with.
>>
>>1025074
Yes its legit. Typicallymeth houses are also control burned if they're rural enough. T. Ex firefighter
>>
I wonder. Do termites exist in germany and all of USA? (Alaska i guess not) but Sweden has no termites and wooden houses can stand for 500 years, no problem.
>>
File: 1466610921772.jpg (393KB, 1067x1600px)
1466610921772.jpg
393KB, 1067x1600px
>>1038761
Too bad cucks don't get to use their hard wood.
>>
>>1034867
That's not an ICF brick though.
Thread posts: 231
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.