[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wooden pipes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: il_fullxfull.315122304.jpg (178KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.315122304.jpg
178KB, 1500x1500px
Does anyone know of any youtube tutorials of how to make a wooden pipe without using a ton of different tools? I mean like just whittling a wooden pipe with a pocket knife.
>>
You need a drill, no idea why that's considered a ton of different tools.
>>
>>1023832
How'd they make pipes prior to having an electronic drill?

Usually tutorials on youtube use sanders, clamps, custom bending rigs, etc.
>>
>>1023835
Then you would use a manual drill? Are you retarded anon?
>>
>Fashion pipes.
That makes me sad inside.
>>
>>1023835
You can make all that stuff yourself if you think you need it.
>>
>>1023958
Me too anon. I didn't even realize that shit was there, I just googled "hand carved pipes".
>>
>>1023831
No, but I've whittled/drilled several pipes from stray blocks of firewood whenever I've been bored in a cabin or the like.

Trickiest bit for me was aligning the hole for the bowl and the stem, and not making leaks through careless whittling.

I use a fein multimaster nowadays, because it's quicker for removing excess material, then I whittle to shape after roughing it.

You have literally no excuse to not just start if you have a sharp knife and some rigid thin piece of metal. You can scrape out the fibers bit by bit even with just a broken sawblade, be inventive.
>>
>>1023835
>>1023835
>how'd they make pipes prior to having a drill

a couple of ways, you can start a medium sized fire, or buy hardwood coals. and light them with a butane torch, and basically blow on the coals burning the wood out, for a bowel shape. scraping away any excess with your sharpened rock.

then you gotta go out, find some copper ore, smelt that shit, and hammer it into a long square shape, heat it in a fire, and shove it into the body of the pipe to burn a hole in it, scrape out the excess burnness with a rock flake tied to a stick with a reamer.

there ya go, bare bones pipe making.
>>
>>1023831
You'll need a drill and some metal files.
>>
>>1025340
Why does he need metal files?
>>
Probably going to try and make a pipe out of some birch my neighbour cut down and I took from the side of the road. My regular pipe is broken and i've been wanting a straight one instead of a curved stem, so this will be a fun little project. Going to go for a one piece, compact thing.

Maybe something square like Thorin's in the shitty hobbit movies.
>>
>>1025489
birch won't last that long if you smoke hard.
>>
>>1025494

I don't smoke all that often, honestly. Once every other day or so when the weather is nice.

This is more of a test piece before I order some briar.
>>
>>1025376
>>1023831

Filing is a lot faster that carving, and gives you more control than mechanical sanding. I had a lot of interest in pipe crafting so I've studied some good methods on it.

To boil it down:

1. Drill all holes that you require in your block. It's easier to drill a block than an organic shape. Use a drill press. You'll need some circular cutting bits. The draft hole MUST connect to the BOTTOM of the bowl. Look at a diagram of a pipe and replicate that. Draw on the block so you can line everything up correctly.

You can buy kits of wood that are either pre-cut or/and pre-cut which is useful if you're new. Google "briar wood pipe kit"

2. Shape with hand files into desired style and shape. It can take some time. You can do this mechanically but you have more control and room for error if you use files. Leave some buffer wood if you plan on carving patterns, reliefs, designs, etc. If you really want to use a pocket knife you can, but it can and will take you weeks to months if you want something that doesn't look like shit.

3. Carve any designs that you want directly into the pipe.

4. Sand and finish. You can buy pre-cast end bits for your pipe and reheat and bend them to your desired shape. If you're brave enough you can cast your own.
>>
>>1023831
well if you wanna do it with hand tools:

>Drill block first and then shape the outside
>Use a brace and you'll need some kind of vise
>For the big hole use an auger without going all the way down.
>To make the round bottom switch the auger for a scraper that you can make from a spade bit grinding away the point and giving it a round shape, or you can forge it if you want to do it traditionally, It's a very simple thing to make.
>Drill the small hole with a smaller bit, you really need some skill here to make both holes centered
>Then use a tapered bit (you can make in the same way as the scraper above) to make a tapered stem hole for the stem to fit in
>I don't know how to make acrylic stems but for a wooden stem cut a green straight branch from a tree and use a red hot wire to burn the heart so it basically becomes a hollow wooden tube. You can leave the bark or smooth it, then whittle it so that one end can be stuck in the tapered hole in the pipe and the other is a mouthpiece. You can then use steam to bend the stem
>Use axe, knife and rasp to shape the pipe

I suggest using apple, pear, cherry, olive and other hard woods like that.
>>
>>1026230
Pretty much any fruit wood will make a nice pipe.
>>
>>1026284
old woodworking saw handles were made of apple or pear wood. Fruit wood is hard and tight and it's very suited for these applications.

I wonder how would an elm pipe hold the smoking
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.