[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homebrew CNC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: CNC.jpg (603KB, 2352x1776px) Image search: [Google]
CNC.jpg
603KB, 2352x1776px
Sup /diy/,

I'm looking to convert pic related into pic related, a 3 axis CNC for cutting plastics and thin steel and engraving objects. This was a printer that had a table that lifted via 4 leadscrews on each corner, which will allow me to work all sorts of weird sized objects. I have sourced all the parts I need for the rails and bearings for the X and Y axis, I'm pretty much ready to build except for the electronics side.

http://blog.cnccookbook.com/ has been my bible so far, but it is thin on control circuits. I have been able to find plenty of stepper drivers, but not a circuit that ties it all together. Anyone got any protips on controller resources or popular builds I can study?

Anyone else working on a CNC? What are your objectives and how are you achieving them?
>>
>>1023379
> printer
What kind of fucked up weird printer was that?

Your design looks like junk. Give up.
>>
>>1023540
An old T-shirt printer, pic related.

>Your design looks like junk. Give up.
Y-you too.

So /diy/ doesn't into CNC at all..?
>>
File: P1020061-700x525.jpg (82KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
P1020061-700x525.jpg
82KB, 700x525px
I am also looking into CNC machines at the moment but for the purpose of milling PCBs, it requires very fine movement and high resolution so I'm not sure that a lot of sit CNC setups can achieve what I am looking for.

If you are looking at electronics I have to recommend the tinyg
http://synthetos.myshopify.com/products/tinyg
A lot of CNC controllers are tard-uino based and controlling 3+ axis and interpreting gcode pushes Arduino to its practical limit. The tinyg controller uses special motion planning algorithms to ensure super smooth translations for the purpose of CNC control.
>>
>>1023379
You can use a RAMPS board, made for 3d printing. It can drive Nema23s adequately

Check out the mostly printed CNC.
http://www.vicious1.com/

You could use the software and electronics meant for it on your project.
>>
>>1023993
Also I forgot to say, obviously you could "convert" your cnc to a 3d printer with just throwing a hotend on and changing a few settings.
The whole modularity of the Mostly Printed CNC is what makes it cool
>>
File: Capture.jpg (100KB, 941x757px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
100KB, 941x757px
>>1023974
This is a great start. I know how to drive a stepper but as mentioned, the circuit and firmware required does not seem to be as extensively covered unless you know a "brand" name to look for and investigate. If nothing else reading up on how this board operates will fill in plenty of blanks, thanks anon.

Have you decided on your running hardware yet? Is "sit" CNC a typo or something google is unaware of?

>>1023993
>>1023997
Funny you mention 3DP, I considered setting up for it due to the large Z axis I have available but thought, controller wise, you could have either CNC or 3DP, not a hybrid, and went CNC because it would be more immediately useful to me. It looks like that RAMPS board has that shit covered. Mad. Time to work out how to interchange and extruder with the router.

>http://www.vicious1.com/
This is a crazy good resource, thanks man.
>>
I used a "smoothieboard" for my printer. It's not as cheap as the other boards available, but it's really well documented. Afaik there are also some cheap chinese clones available, but I have no experience with those.

http://smoothieware.org/smoothieboard

The wiki also mentions some CNCs built with this biard.
>>
File: Honeyview_20160613_083923(1).jpg (110KB, 405x720px) Image search: [Google]
Honeyview_20160613_083923(1).jpg
110KB, 405x720px
>>1023379

Hey op, yes I am in the process of converting this mill over to CNC.

For a controller I am using a raspberry pi 3 with the CNC hat by protoneer, all you have to buy is some pololu stepper drivers and flash their image of raspbian onto it and it's good to go. currently I am wiring up the end stops.

anyone have a suggestion on how I am going to run 6 wires into 1 common ground terminal?
>>
>>1024497
Shit. Sit somehow was interpreted from diy.

Also yeah I have been looking into desktop grade CNC machines, some of the PVC frame models are pretty tempting if circuit board etching is the only thing I am doing. But I now I will kick myself if I settle, those things can't handle even the softest metal alloys.

There is that Chinese based cnc, the 3020 or whatever CNC. But it's made by dozens of no name companies based off a reference design that doesn't seem to exist anywhere, modding it might make for a good challenge though.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.