[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Carpentry advice NEED HELP V. URGENT!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Guys I need help, I'm getting my dream job interview but haven't worked as carpenter for 2 years now, can anyone please explain how to do it properly? I've always worked with mitre saw/chop saw and that test will require me to do it without it, it has to be perfectly flush, very tight connection and I'm afraid that I will fail since haven't had contact with wood for a while and got rusty asf.
I beg you guys help me and I will pray for/give game on steam to you!

The carpentry trade test asks candidates to scribe a small piece of 5-7mm high value lacquered veneer to a jig and, to also cut an external mitre from a piece of 15mm veneered MDF to an upstand (without a chop saw). All power tools and PPE will be provided and you must bring your own hand tools.
>>
>>1022700
Don't understand the first part (scribe veneer to a jig), but if I'm reading right about the 15mm MDF, it sounds like you have to just cut an angle, and it's veneered as well? Take a knife and a speed square, use the square to find your angle, scribe it fairly deeply on the veneer side so you don't tear it up, and try to keep the saw square (straight down) as you cut.

Like i said, I don't really understand because it sounds like either english isn't your native language, or this is a troll post.
>>
>>1022707

I'm not sure about that veneer to jig too but it might mean that they want me to get a jig as a template to cut out veneer for some element.
Yes I'm not native speaker although I understand & have a vast array of words in my disposal I might sound a little off sometimes, still here in UK many people say I sound like American, it's funny since I'm Polish and it doesn't happen very often to have a verbal combination like that where I'm from.
>>
It sounds like this test is designed to weed out incompetent people like yourself?
>>
>>1022721
Very helpful, why bother to even type this? I didn't asked for opinions just help with this task, carpentry is a school of repetition and if you're not constantly working then you're losing edge and forget stuff, brain is like a sponge that dries out if kept out of water, so you have to dip it in from time to time to be effective.
>>
>>1022708
Some British phrases are definitely different from American. Possibly they want you to inlay a piece of veneer, which sounds like what we'd call about 1/4", which is thick for "veneer." Are you testing for cabinetry, I think they might call it joinery?
>>
>>1022721
This. I love it, I wish my fucking company would do this.

Sounds like you need to git gud before the interview or get out of the way for someone qualified while you empty trash cans.
>>
>>1022735
This job is carpentry on boats, not common though, it's more like luxury yachts & interiors mostly.
>>
>>1022741
ayyy lmao
>>
>>1022742
So possibly what we'd call a finish carpenter. I know how I would inlay a piece of 1/4" stock, but the best I can tell you is take a good marking knife, a straight edge, possibly a plane, some files and some chisels, and I hope you've done some inlay work before, because I'm really not sure what they're wanting you to do. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>1022754
Alright, i did inlaying before mostly for furniture. I will post results when it's done tomorrow. Thanks!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.