[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pawa gurnirashun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 00052376.gif (25KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
00052376.gif
25KB, 400x300px
What is the best way to generate 8400 watts of electricity? Short of buying a fuel burning generator that is.

I'm trying to go off grid. I've worked out my average daily consumption to about 25-26 KWH per day. Yes that is heavy, but it's also counting the fact that I don't live alone, and there are 3 water boilers on the property, one of which runs about 3-4 hours a day on average, and one loafer at home all day. I also have a blacksmith forge, and occasionally use the arc welder for touch ups and structural welds. And electricity prices are hiking in my country, so I want to try going off grid.

Solar is too expensive. The cheapest quote I've gotten is about the equivalent of 7000 dollars without the inverters, so that's not gonna happen Any time soon, and I might do it little by little
>>
Do you have any water frontage?
>>
The easiest fdirst stp is to reduce your need for electricity.
As price goes up with (peak) wattage you can lower costs by lowering the wattage.
Try that first...

And for boilers, maybe invest in some other form of heating? Firewood? Oil? Gas? That can needs electricity just for running hte equipment, noit heating.
>>
>>1022509
Unfortunately not, but I live in a windy suburb.
>>1022518
Already reduced as much as I can, short of getting LED lights, Planning on getting gas soon, and I shut off the distributor switch to the boiler when it's not in use
>>
>>1022550

what, are you growing pot? LEDs are by far the quickest way to reduce energy consumption
>>
>>1022726
Depending on where you are, they are silly expensive compared to everything else. We're talking decades to pay off the difference in cost.
>>
>>1022550
>Already reduced as much as I can
No you haven't. You can go down to zero if you want.
>>
>>1022550
>Already reduced as much as I can

If you're burning through over 25kWh a DAY, no, you haven't.

But I guarantee the boilers are a huge part of your expense. Even assuming a relatively low-powered boiler (2kW), that one you mentioned as much as 8kWh/day by itself. My ENTIRE USAGE is less than that. Find some other way to heat your water. Maybe consider solar water heaters, which are much cheaper than photovoltaics. Given that a large portion of your bill is apparently heating water, they should cut down on monthly expenses considerably while not requiring anywhere near the upfront expense of PV panels.
>>
Replacing the boilers with a solar thermal system will save you a fuckload of electricity and it's cheaper than a PV system. Look into batch heaters, they're a cheap and effective intro to solar thermal. All you need is a water tank, pipe and fittings, some wood, a sheet of glass or clear plastic, and black paint.
>>
>>1022499
>$7k
>Expensive
Fuck man.
>>
>>1022790
>Maybe consider solar water heaters, which are much cheaper than photovoltaics.
Depending on your location this is no longer true. Obviously a drum on your roof is cheaper than solar, but if you live where it's cold solar is now the cheaper bet for heating water
>>
>>1022767
off the grid would imply some sort of generator or turbine dynamo charging a batterybank.
battery bank would be 12 or 24v.
if you cant wire up a few LEDs to that, then the whole idea of going off the grid is way beyond your capabilities.

running lower voltage throughout the house could be a good thing. getting appliances that are made for boats,RV's and camping wagons for better efficiency, no need for a mains inverter. (some just have their own built in, I suppose)

what do you need mains for anyway?
a low voltage washing machine and the like might be tricky. but you gotta make compromises when going off the grid.
>>
Get an engine-powered welder/generator which you can weld with and use when needed for high draw power tools (including other welders or pumps etc.) You can order them gasoline or LP powered. Propane stores better and doesn't gum up.

Heat your water another way and use less of it. If going off grid, then you'll need to adjust. Solar water heaters can be mounted on steel frames a short distance from house so you don't have to fuck with the roof.
>>
>>1023223

Evacuated tube solar heaters are still much more effective even if it's below freezing outside. At the bare minimum, they will still impart a significant amount of energy into the water, greatly reducing the daily power requirements of the electric heaters.

I'll grant that those aren't easy to DIY, but still.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.