[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: box.jpg (73KB, 613x463px) Image search: [Google]
box.jpg
73KB, 613x463px
Hey /diy/ first time posting here, I want to build a classic wooden chest, but I'm new to woodworking so I need some dirt cheap materials to build a few "practice" pieces. Are shipping pallets made of sturdy enough wood for this? Max weight I'd put in it 100ibs.
>>
>>1015580
You need to watch where you get your pallets
A lot of them have some pretty awful chemicals on them
if you get them from places that ship food on them you should be pretty safe
>>
>>1015606
This guy is right, however pallets have specific stamps on them that indicate how they were made/where they're from. You just want the one's that aren't chemically treated, which are easy to find if you can read the codes

http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
>>
>>1015580
Most pallets will be strong enough for what you have in mind, as has been stated by >>1015606 and >>1015650 you should try to get pallets that are as clean as possible, not knowing you location I can only tell you what works for me, I typically look for free pallets in industrial areas, some big box stores will also have pallet "graveyards" just ask, another tip I can give you is to look for places that have large machinery deliveries as these will often be made on oversized pallets, and check out places that have shipments of steel as the wooden baulks they use under the loads tend to be made of dense heavy hardwoods, I've found some rather exotic woods this way.

Good luck anon
>>
I'm planning on making a wooden chest (more like a treasure chest) for my son in the future, and I'd like to see the end result!
>>
>>1015580

You can buy "common boards" for a few dollars. Spend a while at the store sifting through them for boards that are relatively straight and free of knots. Your project will be immensely better for it.

E.g.: http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-12-in-x-12-ft-Common-Board-458554/100322339

Buy two of those and you've got your four walls. for a 3ftx4ftx2ft box for $28. Buy an 8 foot length one for the top/bottom for $9.

You're done in an afternoon for $37.
>>
>>1016371
>You can buy "common boards" for a few dollars.
/thread
OP just go to your nearest hardware store and buy some "common grade" wood.
Lowes, home depot, menards type of places sell this stuff for dirt cheap.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.