[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a small cabin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: cabin.jpg (244KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
cabin.jpg
244KB, 900x675px
I am going to be staying on a farm for a while and was told to build a cabin.
I am looking for some ideas (dimensions, styles), tips, links (free plans) or anything that can be of assistance.
I'm not sure of the dimensions but it should be small as is it just for shelter and sleeping.. no kitchen or bath. It should also be cheap.
They told me to look into "pole buildings."
I have no experience with such a task so anything will help.
>>
File: lean-to-roof-framing.jpg (44KB, 450x265px) Image search: [Google]
lean-to-roof-framing.jpg
44KB, 450x265px
If I were you I would go for a simple flat roofed shed with a 2x4 frame clad in ply if longevity isn't an issue otherwise clad in larch or similar.
It's easy to do, takes little time and is relatively inexpensive.
>>
why on earth isn't there a sticky for small buildings already!?

>>1014352
>a while
long enough to be making a permanent structure? is it meant to be permanent?

>just for shelter and sleeping.. no kitchen or bath
insulation? roofing? siding? floor? windows?
>>
>>1014367
It could become permanent, I'm sure that they will keep it up after i'm gone and if I return maybe I'll add onto it.
There won't be any insulation or flooring other than plywood. I'm sure the roof will be something basic for now like plywood. Other than a door there might be a window.
>>
>>1014367
Could you try and get one together? Not trying to be a cunt, sounds like you know what youre talking about and could get some resources together for a sticky and a general. Would help a lot of people
>>
>>1014367
CONTAINER WARNING

DO NOT ENCOURAGE THEM

buildings or anything of that nature is outside the realm of diy UNLESS you are building a garden shed that doesnt need any of those
>>
>>1014352
>>1014496
>>
Nice shed, really good work!
>>
make a yurt
>>
>>1015264
Why do you feel that a building isn't /diy/?

Provide me with sufficient funds and I can build you a house that is 100% up to code.

How long will you be living there OP? Sounds like a tent might be what you are looking for. Otherwise if you are dead set on building something, just steal the plans for the most basic garden shed you can find.
>>
File: 1333914250187.jpg (111KB, 600x833px) Image search: [Google]
1333914250187.jpg
111KB, 600x833px
>>1014352
google image
>>
>>1014352
unless you use logs you cut down to make the walls, its going to be cheaper and a hell of a lot faster, easier, and nicer if you buy a kit handi-hut.
>>
>>1015355
oh my fucking god, its the fucking yurt guy.

yea, fuck, anon this asshole will have you whittling love spoons in your yurt in no time

lol (faggot)
>>
>>1015264
Any idiot can build a wood structure as long as they can read. WTF is up with people on /diy/ being so afraid of trying things and discouraging others.

>>1014352
pole framing, and other heavy frame construction, is more forgiving since the majority of the building load is taken up by a few heavy members. The problem is that you would need multiple people to erect the heavy poles and possibly the walls if you frame them on the ground and then raise them into place. I'm guessing you'd need some machinery to drive the poles into the ground as well.

You'd be better (in my opinion) using platform framing with a pier foundation. That way you can get your structure up off the ground to mitigate all things like water runoff, bugs, snakes, etc.

For flooring and wall finish you can use reclaimed plank boards. Roofs can be maid of corrugated galvanized steel. Windows and doors can be bought cheaply off craigslist, or if you build awnings over all the windows then you could just screen them and leave it open (assuming this isnt for cold weather).
>>
>>1015386
>Provide me with sufficient funds and I can build you a house that is 100% up to code.

bring your teenage fantasy back to b
>>
https://archive.org/stream/farmerhisownbuil00robe#page/n5/mode/2up

Here my firend, this should help you.

https://openlibrary.org/search?q=carpentry&has_fulltext=true&language=eng&subject_facet=Building

Here's more if you want. I know most of these are almost century old, but honestly not much changed since that times. Especialy if we're talking about woodworking.
>>
>>1015426
>Any idiot can build a wood structure
and those are the ones who die
>>
>>1015462
>those are the ones who framed your living space.

ftfy
>>
>>1015462
So you can't understand span, spacing, and board dimensions? Many general contractors are scumbags who hire anyone who will work for cash. If their laborers can do it, then I'm sure you can too.
>>
>>1015816
A solo labourer, that is what you are saying, is capable to build a house, maybe yes, maybe no, but in every first world countries, that is illegal, and for good reasons
>>
>>1015261
unfortunately I do not have the power to sticky threads

>>1015264
personally I don't really agree with people saying "oh I'm going to go build a cabin and live in the woods....now tell me how since I have no idea how to do it"

but there are dumber things to be posted
>>
>>1015822
>that is illegal, and for good reasons

Show me the law you assert exists.

A solo "laborer" who is also suitably qualified can engineer and permit any structure.

My uncle in Michigan is an auto engineer and built his garage/shop/art studio, house, and an addition to that house which doubled its size to hold him, his wife, their three children, and a few guests. I met a civil engineer who built a beautiful stone house and three shops on his property including a downdraft auto paint booth. Never underestimate what people are capable of. Many contractors build their own homes.

They had some additional help for convenience, but not due to law. Anyone can go through the proper process to permit a structure solo. If your area requires evaluation by a degreed engineer and you are not one, you can still design it and submit it for his evaluation.

Now back to cabins and sheds:

This is a chicken coop (she took her hobbies seriously!) my late wife built to "tiny house" specs and its size didn't require permitting. The skid base is movable and I could winch it onto a trailer or rollback. She designed it so if we lost interest in yardbirds we could pull the linoleum and nesting boxes to repurpose it. Insulation and interior would be effortless to do, but I like chickens and have plenty of space.

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/DCINSC/library/condo%20cabin%20coop?sort=3&page=3

You can see the ends of my woodland camo (so they aren't visible from the road) shipping containers in some of the pics. They are now welded together side-by-side as shop space. Power pole was set before erecting the Steelmaster 20x20 at right so I had power for everything else.

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/DCINSC/media/condo%20cabin%20coop/DSC07101.jpg.html?sort=3&o=57

Want to build things? Do it and learn. Don't be intimidated. You will fuck up. Everyone does. Learn from others so your fuckups will be fewer.
>>
>>1016006
>A solo "laborer" who is also suitably qualified can engineer and permit any structure.
Then it is not a labourer anymore is it, get your argument straight, first you said any dumb labourer can do it, now you say you need professional qualification, and need to hire help, then it is already outside /diy/ isnt it, you just proved my point, buildings are for professionals who knows what they are doing and is outside the realm of /diy/, and if you need to ask for help in 4chan it is simply not going to end well.
>>
>>1016028
t. angry licensed contractor
>>
>>1016028
/diy/ starts with babby steps. So for that matter does house building or any skilled trade.

Ignorance is curable with enthusiasm and determination. BTW my uncle grew up dirt poor on a farm in Oregon during the Depression. He did his share of labor and then some. He learned carpentry by laboring at it. Ditto auto mechanics and his other skills gotten before he studied engineering.

Many contractors began as laborers. I didn't say any DUMB laborer could do it. There are a shitload of SMART laborers who move up in their world. Muh realtorbro who sold me my property began with DIY and general construction labor off-duty while he was in the Air Force. He became a skilled contractor, then a realtor, and is wealthy now.

The only dumb question is one you don't ask and it's fine to be curious and ask it here.

Many experienced people forget how quickly and efficiently someone who is determined and relentlessly studious can learn. I haven't forgotten, Torches should be passed, not dropped or thrown away.
>>
>>1014352

You literally just start chopping shit down and carving them into Lincoln logs
>>
>>1015430
I'm a general contractor that builds houses for a living. A couple of my guys don't even have their high school diploma, the construction trade is not brain surgery. I sub-contract out electrical and plumbing since I do not employ a master electrician or plumber to serve as master of records. Have done all three in my own house since I can legally do so.

I mean I get that there are a lot of people on /diy/ that are teenagers who have never had a job, but surely even they must realize that the average age of a person on /diy/ is significantly higher than it is on /b/. We also have a much higher percentage of gainfully employed people.
>>
>>1016006
Nice cuck shed bro you must really look forward to Jamal's visits
>>
>>1016153
95% of "building x" threads on this board are container fantasy, 4% garden sheds or van builds which often doesnt require authority involved, the remaining 1% are houses but it always ends in "hire an architect in real life because you are too clueless to talk about this on 4chan and we don't have all day".

While lots of people build their houses in real life, it is not really a suitable thing for /diy/ because if you are serious about it, you wouldnt be asking 4chan for "how do i waterproof concrete wall", and if you do, you will never make it in real life, hence I say /diy/ noobs and buildings are not really a compatible combination. All the anons who "know their shit" are professionals in real life or at least in the trade.

That is why I say "building x" is usually a massive waste of time here, unless we actively ban those containers threads
>>
>>1015816
>Many general contractors are scumbags who hire anyone who will work for cash.

Truer words have never been spoken on this board. I've worked construction, HVAC, commercial refrigeration, pipefitting, and as a welder before leaving building trades completely due to the amount of dirtbags in the industry. Not to mention the general treatment of workers by supervisors and each other.
>>
>>1016266
This nigga here gets it. This whole board is just for off the wall bunkerbro/ball-warmers and stupid simple questions.
An anonymous Cantonese pie baking board is not the best place to go for advice.
>>
>>1016335
Couldn't hack it in the field huh? What, was everyone too mean?
>>
>>1015424
jesus
>>
>>1015430
It's not hard if you aren't a potato. You might be a potato
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.