[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can my building be repaired?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: KIMG0519.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0519.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Some time ago I had a tree fall on my main storage shed. I can't afford to replace it or hire anyone to repair it.

I'm here to ask for some advice on how to proceed. My only experience with construction comes from helping my uncle build a garage for my grandmother and that was 16 years ago.

First thing is it split the corner apart. What if anything can I do to get it back together?
>>
File: KIMG0521.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0521.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
>>1012586
Here is a view from the inside.
>>
File: KIMG0522.jpg (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0522.jpg
1MB, 1200x1600px
>>1012588
There is a small hole punched in the roof.
Then the rafter next to the hole cracked nearly through on a knot.
>>
File: KIMG0520.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0520.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1012590
Then the corner rafter right on the hip split in multiple places.

For the other I could just put a new 2x4 next to it. This one I'm not sure how to rebuild
>>
Take the sheeting of of that section of the roof. You should brace that wall just in case, before pulling that plywood off. Replace that rafter after you nail that corner back together. That's really all that I'm seeing.
>>
>>1012592
I was thinking I'd have to tear that whole corner apart.

I was wondering how to tighten the split corner back up. Just beat it with a sledgehammer?
>>
Beat that corner back together with a sledge and screw the bitch back tight. Maybe some ratchet straps and a couple screws in each wall can pull it back together until you are able to fasten them together or add a stud in for some strength. Ripping off sheathing for a small hole in the roof is not what you need to be doing.

Next would be to fix the rafter. Take some length of 2x6 and attach it to both sides of the broken rafter. Make it long enough to cover any damage or split and screw that fucker off tight, use some construction adhesive too if you're feeling frisky. But hell even sistering one side of the rafter with some screws should be good for a shed roof.

Then after you can get onto the roof without it collapsing on you, fix the hole in the sheathing. No need to rip off the whole piece of plywood off and then dick around with splicing the shingles back in. Just remove any shingles that are damaged, replace them, tar over and nail heads that you weren't able to hide under the course above and your're good. If you have to remove enough shingles to be able to fix the sheathing and have somewhere to nail it off then do so before patching the shingles. If there are only a handful of shingles then patch the roof from the inside with a piece of 1/2" plywood or better, then some appropriately sized screws that won't pierce through into the shingles.

If you can decipher a good portion of these directions and everything goes to according to plan then you should be able to fix your shed enough without making more work than needed.
>>
>>1012609
The trouble is this rafter>>1012591 that the others screw into. There isn't any way to just run a new one along side it.

The others seem straight forward and patching the hole should be fine. I didn't realize just beating the corner back in would make it that simple.
>>
>>1012618

Yeah those hip jack rafters would be in the way of running a sister along the broken rafter, but even just cutting two blocks to fit between and going on both sides and attaching it with screws and adhesive should be good enough to hold whatever load that roof will need to handle.
That is a pretty important rafter for a hip roof so I couldn't say for sure without being there, but replacing the entire rafter is going to be a major pain in the ass, they're not exactly the easiest things to cut and having it broken makes it harder to just take it out use it as a pattern to trace a new one.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.