[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>AMERICANS IN CHARGE OF RIGHT ANGLES t. Eurofriend just after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 34

File: 1.jpg (324KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
324KB, 1440x1920px
>AMERICANS IN CHARGE OF RIGHT ANGLES

t. Eurofriend just after moving to Murrica

Memes aside, how do I deal with this shit? I can't put the desk anywhere else but it looks awful, nevermind shit falling through the gap.
>>
File: 2.jpg (426KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
426KB, 1920x1920px
JUST
>>
>>1012459
Did you try setting it to Wombo?
>>
File: 1319395224708.jpg (81KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
1319395224708.jpg
81KB, 533x800px
>>1012459
Just stick something under the right front leg so the desktop tilts back and touches the wall. Not that hard really.
>>
>>1012463
He's from Europe, you have to be patient with them. This was banned from where he migrated from.
>>
Do they have floor planes in eurotard land? you realize that shit carpet in your presumably shitty apartment may not have a level (durr) carpet?
>>
>>1012459
>it looks awful
it is ikea after all...

houses are never absolutely square; if it can absorb moisture, it will warp
>>
>European houses
>right angles
haha
t. Amsterdamfriend
>>
File: copedjoint[1].jpg (35KB, 900x355px) Image search: [Google]
copedjoint[1].jpg
35KB, 900x355px
>>1012459
I just built new shelving for my garage. The footer sticks out 2" at one point and 3" at the other. The drywall goes in 1/2" over a 40" span. Then there's the drainage slant. Every piece had to be custom fit. Not a square shelf in the bunch. It was a total bitch making it flush and level but I was sick of shit falling out the back and getting lost.

As someone who's moved around quite a bit I've never seen truly square rooms. The trick is to make it look square, level and plumb. Especially with trim.
>>
>>1012459
>yuropeasants in charge of assembling furniture
>>
File: 1466623367016.jpg (202KB, 1277x554px) Image search: [Google]
1466623367016.jpg
202KB, 1277x554px
you don't even have the shit put together right
>>
File: 3.jpg (367KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
367KB, 1920x1440px
>>1012463
>Just stick something under the right front leg so the desktop tilts back and touches the wall.
Thanks for the suggestion, after a bit of trial and error I managed to lift front right corner so that the edges are flush with the wall.

Pic related. Also next suggestion please.

>>1012501
>As someone who's moved around quite a bit I've never seen truly square rooms. The trick is to make it look square, level and plumb. Especially with trim.
I have a 4cm gap at the end of a 120cm wide tabletop. This works out to 1.91 degree angle in the corner.

Is having nearly 92 degrees room corners within acceptable building standards in Murrica?

>>1012519
>you don't even have the shit put together right
Yes I do m8, the tabletop is flush to wall A (opposite), the shelf unit it's resting on is flush to wall B (right). Of course it's fucking sticking out when the angle between two walls is 92 deg.
>>
>>1012530
>the shelf unit it's resting on
how are you going to rest furniture on other furniture on carpet and bitch about angles?
>>
>>1012530
>Is having nearly 92 degrees room corners within acceptable building standards in Murrica?

I think acceptable building standards are the place isnt fucking falling down around you.

Shit is never square ever.

If you're gonna be an autistic about it,learn to scribe?

>1012501
This guy gets it
>>
>>1012561
So not doing a proper job and just the bare minimum is okay somehow. Can't wait for this to get applied to cars and planes.
>>
>>1012564
Houses move around with time.
Deal with it, princess.
>>
>>1012566
No shit. No reason to slack while building it though. Also what you americans call houses is laughable.
>>
>>1012567
Fuck off back to your caliphate then.
Everybody will be better off.
>>
>>1012567
Piss off. Go back to Africa and live in a mud but for a while .
>>
>>1012568

Why can't americans into stone houses? All I've seen in residential areas were the same 5 designs of cheap looking cardboard houses.
>>
>>1012459
That's nothing, have you ever been in real commieblock? My friend once tried to fit wardrobe. When he put it agains the wall you could put fist behind it at the top.

t. Easter Europe
>>
>>1012570
You want a nice custom house, you build it.
>>
>>1012572
How come Europeans do that and americans don't? Simply curious at this point. The price can't be that different.
>>
why don't you put a square on it.

Your claiming 91.91 degrees based on some cheap shitty table that isn't put together correctly sitting on carpet.

You are probably a troll, I know yuropeasants can be as arrogant and stupid as americans can be ignorant and stupid, But I doubt you can be this retarded and think your better than anyone else.

Oh wait, I'm on /diy. You are probably just smarter than all of us because you bought an arduino and read about 3d printing on the internet. My bad.
>>
>>1012573
>The price can't be that different.
>2x4s and drywall cost the same as hundreds of tons of stone
what
>>
>>1012570
Get out of the shitty suburbs once in a while.

>tfw you keep responding to b8
>>
ITT

>OP bitches about low quality American house construction not able to make his low quality European sawdust furniture look good.
>>
>>1012551
It's meant to go together genius. Stop grasping at straws.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/pdf/buying_guides_fy15/Table_bar_bg.pdf

>>1012571
Broski, I spent the first quarter of century of my life in a real commieblock. Shit wasn't perfect, but never this bad. And at least it didn't feel like I could punch holes in EVERY wall, internal or external, with little effort.

>>1012580
>Your claiming 91.91 degrees based on some cheap shitty table
I'm willing to bet you all the money in the world that this cheap shitty Ikea tabletop has more accurate right angles than any corner in this apartment.

>that isn't put together correctly
But it is put together perfectly correct.

>sitting on carpet.
And what the fuck does the carpet have to do with it? How fucking uneven would the floor need to be to cause a 4cm gap like that and how fucking blind would I have to be to not notice it? The tabletop sits correctly according to my spirit level by the way.

Enjoy your (You) I guess.
>>
File: Dr-Seuss-House-3.jpg (446KB, 750x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Dr-Seuss-House-3.jpg
446KB, 750x1125px
>>1012570
Just depends on where you live and if the ground will let you. Having no permafrost helps, good solid pad, proper drainage, sturdy foundation. Where I live you have to adjust your house once or twice a year. We don't generally do stone because it will settle over the years and will eventually crack. But where I am you'll never see a 2x4 in the exterior walls. I prefer to stagger two 2x6 walls for the insulation benefits.

Up here we call the houses that you described matchstick boxes... Then there's pricks up here who do this!
>>
Why are migrant trash always this ungrateful?
>>
>>1012603

I was going to green text you but it would literally work out to everything you said

what is scientific notation and least significant digits for 500?

It clearly is not.

It makes sense you don't know what carpet would have to do with it, if your worried about your warping and subsiding structure being a perfect 90 degrees
>>
>>1012567
How old is this place you're complaining about?

Also where in the states are you?
>>
>>1012580
Angles of a quadrilateral must sum to 360.

If the corner of the room is more obtuse than every corner of the table, and the edges of the table are straight, then the corner of the room must be greater than ninety degrees, or exist in non-Euclidian space.
>>
File: leltangle.png (7KB, 700x540px) Image search: [Google]
leltangle.png
7KB, 700x540px
wtf am I reading in this thread
>>
>>1012459
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUyoLv5OKQ4

hear you go el retardo
>>
>>1012551
That's how its made. We had the same thing a while ago.
>>
File: 1444786750428.jpg (42KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1444786750428.jpg
42KB, 500x501px
>>1012530
>propped up with boxes
>>
>>1012459
Well baitmeister,
A. The shit warps if it has a chance to absorb moisture.
B. We don't circle jerk about trying to get it to 90 degree before and after it settles, we're more worried about fucking drinkable water and air conditioning, neither of which you fucks know about.
C. We also have deodorant and showers, since you're now in a civilized country, please use them. If you plan on staying more than 6 months, you may want to try out an American specially called a Dentist.

Signed, an American.
>>
File: DIY_BINGO.jpg (162KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
DIY_BINGO.jpg
162KB, 600x600px
>>1012459
>>
>>1012661
Anon suggested I propped up front right corner until the tabletop touched the wall. If anything, that was me ironically taking his bait.

>>1012691
>No Tools
Tools were used to assemble the legs and the shelf unit.

>Didn't Google It
Did, then came to ask for second opinions.

>Rages At Legitimate Answers
Nope, only correcting false statements or demonstrating that "legitimate" answers are in fact ridiculous. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of raging defensiveness directed at me instead.

>No Skills
At best debatable in this example, at worst a pathetic strawman.

>Clearly Unsafe, Stupid, Illegal or Crazy
wew lad, which one of these categories does setting up a desk belong to in your parts?

>Your Country's _____ Sucks
I'll give you that, though it was obviously done in jest.

tl;dr your bingo a shit
>>
>>1012727
If your table was screwed to the end piece, and if you put a wedge under the end piece, it'd work fine.
>>
>>1012727
Why would you even reply to the bingo cancer?
Its posted in literally every thread where the guy doesnt have an answer for OP
>>
>>1012638
Considering they defend it so angrily instead of laughing at OP's slum house or something, it must be very common there.
Well, it's not surprising that wood + drywall houses twist and bend over the time.
>>
>>1012673
>drinkable water and air conditioning

default situation and not necessary if you don't build your house out of paper.
>>
>>1012673
>B. We don't circle jerk about trying to get it to 90 degree before and after it settles, we're more worried about fucking drinkable water and air conditioning, neither of which you fucks know about.

>American water
>drinkable
>living in a shithole where you need a/c

>civilized country
>You may want to try out an American specially called a Dentist.
>paying for the dentist
>>
>>1012459
Another non-Usian here. I'd be ashamed to build anything that far out of spec. I guess specs are different in the States.

Thanks for the laugh, OP especially with this one.>>1012530
>>
>>1012567
You just learned a very important lesson about being an American. We will sell you anything no matter the quality if we can get away with it. If you don't like the house why did you buy it?
>>
I'm not bothering to read the troll thread, but has anyone considered that there is a tack strip at the edge of the carpet that is raised enough to cause the desk to lean forward?
>>
>>1012806
See >>1012530
>>
File: lolly.gif (982KB, 500x170px) Image search: [Google]
lolly.gif
982KB, 500x170px
>>1012530

this shit

>>1012803
>>1012773
>>1012737

y'all should see the thread where someone wants to rewire his house. It's like americans are willing to kill themselves and each other before abiding by any possible spec, code, rhyme or reason.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99KB, 1440x810px
>>1012727
Christ, I can't beleive this thread is still going.

>>1012463 already provided the answer but op has to feign ignorance just to keep trolling. Seriously op, if you can't figure this out you have a real disability.

I bet your mom is super proud of you for going on the internet and trying to rustle people. You must be the smartest person she has ever met. I'm sure that, no matter what she has said about you in the past, she no longer considers you a mistake. Good work anon. You sure did show us.

Sage
>>
>white furniture in front of white walls
>>
>>1012836

See >>1012530 moron
>>
>>1012867
>under the right front *leg*

If OP is truly as dumb as his picture suggests, I'm not sure how he can even tie his shoes.

Seriously, OP is obviously just a man-child that fails at everything and can only make himself feel better by trying to be a bully on the internet.
>>
>>1012882

It's obviously under the left leg. Go eat a burger.
>>
>>1012888
Op, have you ever wondered why you're a bully? What life changing event was it that made you this way? Or was it the culmination of several small events?

Was it when your parents got divorced? Was it when all of the other boys were making fun of you in school? Maybe it was when that girl rejected you? You don't have to be this way. You can still turn your life around and be the kind of person that others don't immediately hate. It's up to you OP.
>>
>>1012889

>"have you ever wondered why you're a bully"
>proceed to try and do some crude attempt of a psychology deconstruction of me to insult me

I'm not even OP. I just think you're a moron for suggesting that the solution to OP's problem is to make the table slope at a 20 degree angle. Do you know how maddening even a 3 or 4 degree slope is on a table?
>>
>>1012889
>Victim complex.

The original poster is the real victim here you dense ball of butter
>>
>>1012894
>>1012895
Whatever OP, enjoy your high blood pressure.
>>
>>1012895
Victim of oxygen deprivation at birth maybe. Damn doctors and their drinking habits.
>>
This thread is probably the worst I've ever seen on /diy/

What happened to you people
>>
>>1012910
Clover. I miss the days where it could go 5 minutes without a post. Now I'm come here to see shit posting/bait and find the occasional thread that catches my interest.
>>
>>1012913
Agreed. It is Clover. I think /diy/ may even be the first board on the list in Clover, so you get kiddies like op starting shit threads like this just to troll, meanwhile other somewhat interesting threads get bumped off the board.
>>
>>1012916

Clover isn't the first on the list. I don't believe its even on there by default. Shitposting has always gone on, especially during the summer. The only people who talk about how good a board used to be are newfags.

t. Oldfag since 1974
>>
File: NAMA_Machine_d'Anticythère_1.jpg (25KB, 275x245px) Image search: [Google]
NAMA_Machine_d'Anticythère_1.jpg
25KB, 275x245px
>>1013053
>Oldfag since 1974
Shit man I remember back in the good old days around 180BC I just got the brand new antikythera IV shit posting in the old /acropolis/, which eventually sadly crumbled due to incessant cancer, and because the walls didn't have 90° corners
>>
>>1013067

Moot here, go to be Eric, you're not even 1000 years old. Also, stay mad Europoors, we have the freedom to ignore building regulations in America. USA! USA! USA!
>>
>>1012459
Americans use the imperial degree system which has its null point at 11 european degrees, and has a stepping value of 3.66...7 european degrees.
So 90 european degrees would be somewhere between 21 and 22 american degrees, but since one american degree consists of 7 american sub degrees, and americans all grew up on common core amd can't into math, they just said fuck it and went with 22.
>>
>ITT Americans get bootyblasted
>>
>>1012459
Tear down and rebuild wall if you don't want to modify the desk itself

Really what do you want us to say?

Magic words that fix all your problems and tickle your bum?
>>
>>1013222
>>
File: E7ibXca.jpg (34KB, 460x325px) Image search: [Google]
E7ibXca.jpg
34KB, 460x325px
>>1013222
>>1013237
>>
am i gonna be that guy, it's because the work was done by one of your illegal immigrant "eurofriend"
source? i am one. and i work like this.

also that is just way too much plaster in the corner.
>>
>>1013226
If your country is so much better, what the fuck are you doing here? Why don't we make everyone happy? Just get the fuck out if you don't like our walls or desks or whatever you're complaining about.
>>
>>1013245
So, you measure angles in radians then?
>>
>>1012530
there's difference between metric and imperial right angles, no surprise metric ikea table and imperial wall corner don't match
>>
>>1013246
There are no illegal immigrant eurofriends. The middle east and mexico are not in europe.
>>
>>1013254

Every day the earth moves about one day degree around the sun
>>
>>1013345
And a meter is about a yard. And a liter is about a quart.
>>
>>1013053
It was when the board was new. Same with the history board. The board was never great, but it used to be much slower.
>>
>>1012460
>>/pol/
>>
>>1013245
Hydrogen is a diatomic gas, it'd have two grams per mole at room temperature. Fucking Euroscum.
>>
My room has the same issues it doesn't even make sense

The ground is uneven, meaning it slopes up and I have to manually change the height of my desk feet but no matter what it doesn't work, how do I fix this??

I thought wood floors would be good, but it turns out to be just terrible.

Easy to clean and less dust..But just terrible for my desk, should I just buy a rug and put it under the desk and hope that fixes the issue?

My macgyver fix so far is tissue under the feet and socks on each corner touching the wall to stop it wobbling. It works kind of but looks absolutely fucking retarded

God I feel like a retard typing this but it actually works for now rather than having a wobbly mess.
>>
>>1013647
Different size riser blocks on the feet to make it level. I'm sure you can make it look good.
>>
>>1013649
You mean like this kind of thing?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0080BYX9K

Or a more spongy kind?
>>
>>1013653
Yeah something like that.
>>
>>1013349

Ffs if they used the sun to measure these angles and got the conversion to degrees wrong they'd still only be off by 1.32 degrees , and not 1.9.
>>
So reading this thread ops only options are:

>Stick something under the legs, so the table is flush with the wall but no longer level.

>Move back to where he came from.

Nobody suggests op to build a custom desk top that will fit flush with the wall?
>>
>>1013676
>>1012501 suggested something
>>
>>1012459
If we're going to be honest, it was probably built by Mexicans
>>
>>1012459
More likely Mexicanos built that, not burgers.
>>
>>1012501
There's yer answer eurotrash...
Can you handle making one 92 degree mitre cut?
>>
>>1012463
>everything rolling of the table
are you retarded?
>>
>>1013750
Not on that Ikea stuff. The inside is a honeycomb.
>>
>>1012459
Framers can't make anything square for shit. I lay flooring and 95 percent of the time I have to scribe wall rows. It's bullshit bunch of highschool dropouts and drunks shouldn't be building houses
>>
>>1012564
Car gpses get hacked all the time, because the monopoly engineering the cars integrates the wifi television screens in the back with the on/off switch. Cars break down, too. Planes are always nice because people are scared of falling out of the sky. If you want to get out your angles right, get out a measure, and wave it around at a real estate agent.
>>
>>1013053
I'm pretty sure clover does default to /diy/

I just dl'd it to my new phone a few weeks ago, still haven't changed the board order, and /diy/ is the default. I think it used to be /ck/ but idk. I agree it's probably half the reason this site is circling the drain but let's be honest, 4chan has been on a downswing well before clover.
>>
>>1012910
>>1012913
>>1012916
>>1013053
>>1014008
Here's your answer fellow Clover tinfoilers: >>>/g/55265297
>>
File: img_0830.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
img_0830.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>1012459
This has nothing to do with anything being out of square. This is actually due to the three corners of the desk sitting on the tack strips around the perimeter of the room underneath the carpet. You need to put something on the inside corner of the desk to raise it up even with the other 3 corners, and it will sit against the wall fine.

Or, you can pull up the carpet at that corner of the room and remove the tack strips where the desk is going to sit. You shouldn't need them there anyway since the desk will hold the carpet in place.
>>
>>1015627
I think that's what >>1012463 was ultimately driving at. If the rest of the thread tells you anything, it's that >>1012459 didn't really want an answer, she just wanted to troll.
>>
>>1014003
It's not nearly as much the fault of the dropouts, drunks and Mexicans as it is the fault of cheap ass contractors looking to pocket 2-3x what they deserve for their effort so they hire dumbfucks and don't get any more hands on with them or the work than they have to.
Your employees don't improve when you don't improve them. And few framers, drywallers and the like have any actual education in their craft other than working for shitty contractors that will do the bare minimum (or less) to get paid.
>>
File: WDYTWA.jpg (39KB, 498x441px) Image search: [Google]
WDYTWA.jpg
39KB, 498x441px
>>1012817
Wow you just stated the definition of /diy/.
>>
File: Flintwater.jpg (104KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Flintwater.jpg
104KB, 1920x1080px
>>1012673
>we're more worried about fucking drinkable water

You're doing as good a job at that as you are at building houses, I guess.
>>
>>1013687
So if OP re-trims the room, the table will fit? Okay.
>>
>>1015849
>1 American city has the water quality of the Yuropoor average
LEL AMERICA BTFO AMIRITE XD XD
>>
>>1012459
here's a guy that never set foot in a eastern European commieblock

t. eastern European living in a commieblock
>>
>>1013245
>the American system,
stopped reading there
>>
>>1012459
Looks like a wall of an illegal partition that Pedro built.
>>
>>1014008
I was all like "clover is back in the play store"! It wasn't...
>>
Houses settle, things shift.

also
>pressing your desk completely against a wall
>2 walls in a corner

Why would you even want to do that?
the best have a small gap between the desk's top and wall.

OPs just a dumbcunt.
>>
>>1015627
That's some mighty-tall tack strips. Funny how you can't even see them below the carpet. ( >>1012530 )

>>1015641
>If the rest of the thread tells you anything
That's ironic.

I know it's long, but you really should read the whole thread before commenting.
>>
>>1013222
>americans all grew up on common core amd can't into math,

>muh common core

The old straightforward math is still taught along side the new common core teaching methods.
There is literally nothing wrong with giving young children pictures and scenarios that put math into more of an abstract thing.
It teaches them to manipulate numbers and think about numbers in much different ways.

USA has long been bad with math, I remember when I first took algebra it was so vastly different than the arithmetic I was taught.

Reinforcing how and why in more abstract ways when they are young will vastly improve their ability to learn higher levels of math.

Teachers are mad because they hate standards being put in, and parents are mad because they are shit at math.
Its a bunch of horse hockey
>>
>>1018265
Hear hear, friendo!!
>>
>>1012773
>Another non-Usian here.
I guess specs are different in the States.
Anything that doesn't fall down or catch fire in the first 6 months is "to spec" in the USA.
>>
>>1018321
Most US shit holds up passably but it's certainly not up to European standards.

If you want to be terrified, visit Asia.
>>
>>1018329
My experience is that anything built in NA after the 60s is going to be half assed. "To code" doesn't mean the bare minimum, it means the ideal that we must strive towards.
>>
>>1015627
FINALLY SOMEONE ANSWERS CORRECTLY. FUCK.

>>1013642
And thank you too, reading those two paragraphs almost made me stroke out.
>>
>>1012564
we literally slap together houses out of 2x4's and plywood because it's the cheapest way to get big houses for people that inexplicably want big houses
>>
>>1018676
And people they wonder why their houses get blown to fucking dust by a stronger wind or burn down in minutes as if made of matchsticks.
>>
>>1020109
Stickfags please, please stop talking about 'wind' when you literally don't even fucking know.

People can't afford to buy bunker that would actually survive a tornado, because a normal brick or engineered steel house won't either.
>>
Can't afford to build a house that stands up to conditions where you live, sounds like 3 world to me son.
>>
>>1012459
>he thinks wood framed houses are square, flat and plumb to within +/- .001"
If you want perfectly flat walls with perfectly square corners, you're gonna have to pay extra. Alot fucking extra.
Why do you think they texture sheetrock walls?
It hides all the surface imperfections that would stand out like a sore thumb if the walls were perfectly smooth and flat
>>
>>1020227
It shows because you call it 'wind' not a tornado.

Look at all the bricks and shit that fell in the Sam Francisco earthquake. Europe just doesn't even fucking know about us disasters. In California you don't even stand up unless its a 6.0.
>>
>>1020197
Concrete will, tho, and its cheaper to build with than wood. Europoor here, we build with insulated concrete and steel rooftops with ceramic.
>>
File: 628x471.jpg (46KB, 628x417px) Image search: [Google]
628x471.jpg
46KB, 628x417px
>>1020316
It rather depends on engineering.

If you live in a bunker rated for x tornado factor. Okay.

Even your concrete soviet building or whatever isn't necessarily going to withstand a tornado like regularly goes through the us. Lots of concrete, brick, and block buildings destroyed every year. No reason not to use stick houses, they are easier to rebuild and consume less resources.
>>
>>1020316
Lucky house, mostly survived and was able to take a fantastic picture. This is how fast 'wind' is
>>
>>1020330
If this is true, sure, wood is better, but here we don't have such tornados or strong winds and the wood I think its 2x the price
>>
File: p1000092[1].jpg (240KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
p1000092[1].jpg
240KB, 1024x768px
>>1020316
Heres a picture of a concrete and steel building that came down in a natural disaster. Earthquake? Nope. Typhoon. The high wind ripped the roof off and as it came peeling off it took quite a bit of the 2nd floor concrete structure with it.

The materials matter less than the design. Concrete and brick buildings fail just as often when their design limits are exceeded. Their limits may be greater but their cost is a lot greater too.
>>
>>1020417
theres a bit of variation within 'concrete & steel' as wel, tbf. Not a structural engineer either, but, I doubt that fucker was built for eternity in 1st place - even taking into account, the hurricane cant have improved it much, that still looks like a Mexican-Build friday afternoon special.
>>
>>1012459
Woah, slow down there chief. America doesn't have 7-10 year training and apprenticeships for people who want to hang drywall and plaster like they do in Europe.
>>
>>1012459
its prob sitting on the tack strip under the carpet
>>
>>1020294
Mixing up the posters, I said nothing about wind, but if i understand you right you are arguing that you are living in the direct path of something that will kill you and that you are defense less against, in that case why not move? only reason to stay in a place like that is poverty or stupidity and both makes the US sound like a 3 world shit hole.
>>
>>1020445
>living in the direct path of something that will kill you
>why not move
>poverty
>stupidity
K is for kek, K is for Katrina.
>>
File: arkansas-tornado.jpg (351KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
arkansas-tornado.jpg
351KB, 1200x900px
>>1020445
Well odds are still good you're fine, even in tornado alley you only have a 1% chance in a 50 year period.

You can get crazy shit like this where many houses are just fine and it's like god just came down and drew a line through your neighborhood breaking houses.

This is also why new orleans is fine to live in 99 out of 100 years, but you get that one hundred year flood and it's a hell of a thing.
>>
>>1012459
:| you didn't have to come in here and ask
>gap between wall and desk wat do?

But a L bracket and drill it into the desk and wall.

If or anyone here has to explain the proper procedure of drilling a hole you are lost to mankind.
Google your shit together.
>>
>>1020445
exactly this why don't retarded faggotmerican's just move out of anywhere that has a risk off tornado's
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1012459
>too poor to have your interior designed
>buys a peice of shit desk and complains about his walls.

Shoulda bought a better house.

Peep my tub fag
>>
>>1020666
>ribbed dildo on the left
>tiles arnt alligned
>grout is messy and uneven
>tub isnt silicone'd properly, neither are the tiles to the floor.
>some idiot left a 1ft gap with the wall

your fixtures are nice. too bad they wernt installed properly.
>>
>>1020637
The alternative are 'risk of fire' 'risk of earthquakes' or 'risk of hurricanes' or 'risk of blizzards'

Europe has a very mild climate. America is constantly trying to kill you. Highest record temperature in the world is in the united states at 56.7 C, and the largest 2 minute temperature extreme of TWENTY SEVEN degrees C.

"For the United States, the extremes are 134 °F (56.7 °C) in Death Valley, California in 1913 and −79.8 °F (−62.1 °C) recorded in Prospect Creek, Alaska in 1971.

The largest recorded temperature change in one place over a 24-hour period occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana, when the temperature rose from −54 to 49 °F (−47.8 to 9.4 °C).

The most dramatic temperature changes occur in North American climates susceptible to Chinook winds. For example, the largest 2-minute temperature change of 49 °F (27.2 °C) occurred in Spearfish, South Dakota, a rise from −4 to 45 °F (−20.0 to 7.2 °C)."

Like I said. You guys don't even know, stop talking like you do. We don't move because we're not sissies and it's usually fine.
>>
>>1020681
I am Eurofag, I like Arizona, where is good to live there ? Is Kingman or all along route 66 any good ?
>>
>>1020684
Arizona is really not that exciting. It's very dependably hot and cold depending on season.

I'd look for a house made after the 90s when we started using insulation standard.
Bonus points for solar panels and owning a well or shares in a local well.

You'll also almost definitely get an AC and heating unit in the house.
>>
File: map.png (53KB, 721x515px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
53KB, 721x515px
>>1020681
>For the United States, the extremes are 134 °F (56.7 °C) in Death Valley, California in 1913 and −79.8 °F (−62.1 °C) recorded in Prospect Creek, Alaska in 1971.

>move 2400 miles meridionally
>temperature changes

Yeah no fucking shit.

For Europe it was 48.0°C (118.4°F) in Athens, Greece in 1977 and −58.1°C (−72.6°F) in Ust' Shchugor, Komi Republic (European part of Russia) in 1978.

But I guess you win gold medal here America because your minmax temp delta was 118.8°C vs 106.1°C in Europe.

Or maybe Europe does win because it was over a 400 mile shorter distance and within a 2 year span rather than over 58 years?

Either way your argument is shit.
>>
>>1020712
>Argue that europe is more temperate than the US
>Give data that is both hotter and colder in the US than in europe.
>Eurofag comes back with evidence that confirms this point.

... Okay? Good job. Thanks, I'm glad we can agree when basic facts are presented.

Now stop calling a tornado or hurricane 'wind' with your 'lol wind blowing over murrican fucking toothpik houses lol, urop stronk steel brick concrete bunkers'

Maybe the US wins because it's over a TWO MINUTE period at a SINGLE weather station and it swung TWENTY SEVEN degrees
>>
>>1020724
Yes, 8.7 degrees hotter and 4 degrees colder. Which like totally fucking matters.

>Europe has a very mild climate.
>America is constantly trying to kill you.

But what are you arguing about, I told you you win a gold medal, go hang it next to your other well earned trophies.
>>
File: 58102642.jpg (96KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
58102642.jpg
96KB, 780x438px
this is what a european city with 400-100 year old houses mado out of wood and bricks looks like after a tornado btw. its not as if they are burgerland exclusive things
>>
File: 1,w=993,c=0.bild.jpg (100KB, 993x559px) Image search: [Google]
1,w=993,c=0.bild.jpg
100KB, 993x559px
>>1020732
another one. not even trying to make a point here, i just saw this thread and remembered this because i live nearby. It mostly was just new roofs that had to be made, one or two buildings collapsed
>>
>>1020732
So basically only the wood structures (attics/roofs) got damaged and the brick structures are perfectly fine.

I don't know which side you're arguing for but thanks for helping to prove the point.
>>
File: 19680710pforzheim4.jpg (309KB, 1000x682px) Image search: [Google]
19680710pforzheim4.jpg
309KB, 1000x682px
>>1020734
not really any side, i think that americans just build their houses way cheaper. i mean try to buy a house in a bigger city in Germany, youre fucked.

the Tornado was described as "medium strength" by the way, this one is a stronger one in another german city in the 60s
>>
File: germany-tornado-butzow-may-2015.jpg (92KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
germany-tornado-butzow-may-2015.jpg
92KB, 600x800px
>>1020734
well, some single-standing brick structures got something, but this is the only picture of a collapsed brick wall i could find.

>brick structures
some of them are timber-framed with the spaces filled with wattle and daub. literally techniques youll find in tribal areas, they just happened to survive up to this day.
>>
>>1020736
>F4 tornado
>40 km track
>Overall, here 2,350 buildings were damaged, six of which were completely destroyed.
>130M DM repairs

I can't find a comparable one in the US because the tracks that make the news are all too long. Like 200 km instead of 40
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Tampa_tornado_family#Largo_to_Merritt_Island
>218 km
>F4
>$5-50 million in damages, hundreds of homes destroyed, rural area.
>>
File: DSCN2985 2.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2985 2.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>1020738
Buh buh buh bricks stronk

Seriously. It's just what the house is rated for. Houses in europe are still standing because they are still standing after literally hundreds of years of sitting there. All the ones around them that got fucked up aren't there anymore and were replaced. It's natural selection of houses.

The cost is not justified at all. It's the rating of the house. Not just that it's made out of 'toothpicks' It needs to actually be designed to withstand F5 tornado forces if you want it to survive an F5 tornado, whether it's made of brick, concrete, or steel. Eurofags just need to shut up about inferior american houses, jesus fucking christ. America doesn't come into EVERY GODDAMN FUCKING THREAD and post america 120v stronk.

Meanwhile my stick house pretty much will not fall down in an earthquake no matter the magnitude.
>>
File: Dscn5757sm4.jpg (55KB, 700x306px) Image search: [Google]
Dscn5757sm4.jpg
55KB, 700x306px
>>1020747
Huh. Wrong pic.
>>
Oh fuck you.

American manufacturing of steels and goods is 10x better than any shit that comes out of fucking China.

America is the foundation of rockbits. The shit that drills holes in the ground and extracts oil? We make all that shit, efficiently and highly precise.

So what if your shitty desk isn't a perfect 90? It looks like it's fucking wood anyway. Who the fuck cares about machining wood?

Build your own shit you fucking faggot, and die in a fire
>>
>>1020747
>Meanwhile my stick house pretty much will not fall down in an earthquake no matter the magnitude.

but itll collapse with the next rain bacause of the wind haha lol stupid retardmericans
>>
>>1020747
>post pic of a collapsed brick wall
>get accused of trying to push the superiority of bricks

what is wrong with you?
>>
File: 1467990049604.gif (1MB, 452x294px) Image search: [Google]
1467990049604.gif
1MB, 452x294px
>>1020750
>doesn't know that the two top Rebar companies, that literally build the foundation for his precious murika are owned by Brazil and India.

Go do your wikipedia research and come up with a comeback.

They buy shitty offshore steel to build everything now.

Mostly because of the very hubris that spews from your post. To proud and stupid to look down and see the water rising.

So what if your goods are supposedly 10x better. Rich CEOs don't give a fuck. And would gladly take 10x cheaper, sell you 10x more than 10x better and sell it once.
>>
>>1020810
I don't give a fuck about what's profitable. I'm talking about what's better, and that's practically EVERYTHING in american manufacturing. By your own admittance we're better at making stuff. Our material is better, our practices are better, and your shit hole of a country can't even begin to compete. I'm LMAOing at your subpar manufacturing practices
>>
>>1020817
American "manufacturing" is mostly Mexican slave labor
>>
>>1020829
Massively ignorant/retarded
>>
>>1020833
Compelling argument, anon.
>>
>>1020834
Not much you can say to an idiot
>>
>>1012530
quality post
>>
>>1012604

thanks anon, I didn't know this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kizsmaXZ3H4
exists IRL
>>
>>1012459

>Americans do /x/

how does it feel being the cancer that is killing the blue boards?
>>
>>1013642
>Hydrogen is a diatomic gas, it'd have two grams per mole at room temperature. Fucking Euroscum.

>one mol of atoms
>hydrogen is a diatomic gas, there's two atoms in every atom.
>>
>>1012460
>>1012459

it is clearly your shitty furniture that is improperly constructed. It is of such poor quality, you can see how off canter it is just from the shitty pics.

go fist fuck yourself back to whatever shit hole you crawled out of.
>>
File: Icon-zarya.png (23KB, 112x100px) Image search: [Google]
Icon-zarya.png
23KB, 112x100px
>>1013762
>hollow particle board """""furniture"""""
>>
>>1012737
Honestly though who gives a fuck

Eurotards care about the dumbest shit
>>
>>1013759
>>everything rolling of the table
>are you retarded?

>furniture is placed in corner
>put something under furniture's foot furthest from corner
>objects rolling off

Are YOU retarded?
>>
>>1012567
Tap a wall and you'll be horrified.
>>
lol at all the burgers pretending like OP is autistic for being bothered by this.

I have lived in like 10 flats here in germany in my lfie and I have NEVER encountered walls like that.
>>
>>1020514
Those hundred year floods will come every few years soon.
>>
>>1012459
>houses dont warp and go out of whack within a couple of years of being built
nice try, i would go get something for that ocd though you fucking retard
>>
>>1023614
Do you guys not straighten your framing, or do you not need foundations? Jesus Christ how can you think that's okay? I can handle an old villa doing that but new houses are mostly built on a slab, if they are falling down on one side then there's something really wrong with them
>>
>>1023615
Look man, I work in construction. Footing get reinforced with #3 rebar and filled with concrete up to 4 feet. Houses get built with the sizes you must build with. Everything goes to code. Houses will still warp a couple of inches here and there because after you build it it will still settle in on itself. do you even know how much weight a house has to support by just standing? Do you know how much stress a house has to withstand with just a wind? Houses are only built out of brick and mortar in seismic zones. Hell for all its worth places with tornados have houses built even mor flexible so as to cause less damage when the tornado rips it apart. You have no idea what you are talking about so please do yourself a favor and read up on building standards and procedures before you go on talking about how "bad" something is built.
>>
>>1012602
>OP bitches about low quality American house construction not able to make his low quality European sawdust furniture look good.

K L A S S I K ! ! ! !
>>
What a stupid thread.

Probably nothing to do with settling or warping or building out of square.

Every inside corner in a drywalled room will always be slightly more than 90 degrees, due to drywall compound / tape in the corner.

Glad to see someone thought to mention tack strips, but...

jeez, /diy/ get it together.
>>
>>1013653
>http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0080BYX9K
but these are sold in europe where ALL corners are exactly 90 degrees and ALL floors are dead level... how does the manufacturer make any money selling these if no one needs them in europe?
>>
>>1018144
>>pressing your desk completely against a wall
>>2 walls in a corner
>Why would you even want to do that?
2nd this.
>>
>>1020316
>and its cheaper to build with than wood.
>its cheaper
>than wood
really?
>>
>>1023617
It's so strange that this isn't a problem where I live, I guess freedom ain't free
>>
>>1023629
>Every inside corner in a drywalled room will always be slightly more than 90 degrees, due to drywall compound / tape in the corner.
...most likely done by mexicans.
this.
>>
>>1023620
If you go to my grandparents' house, you'll see quality furniture.
Unfortunately it comes with a 5k€ price tag.
>>
>>1023617
The real issue is a values difference. Europe = no new land, so build houses rarely and to last a long time. America = lots of empty land, so build house that lasts 25 years before becoming shitty. But it costs half as much, eg 200k instead of 400k. so 25 years later, the 200k you saved and invested at 4% (not crazy return) is now 500k. you sell the house to a house flipper for 50k, they spend 50k (because they know contractors who "work cheap") patch all the nasty stuff and rent the house to a nigger for 1k/month and get a 10% return on investment.
So it's a better system except for the poor schlubs who are stuck with a shitty rental.
>>
>>1023629
What? Right in the corner there will be a tiny bit of plaster, but not two degrees worth, it'll be a hair less than 90 degrees, but then the rest of the wall will be square
>>
>>1023751
>you build for 200k, then 25 years later it's worth 400k, so you sell for 50k

Nigga are you high? And are rents really that outrageous in freedomland?
>>
>>1012459
move back to yurop
we will all be happier that way
>>
>>1023826
Only in retarded places like Jew York, Jew Jersey, Commiefornia, and NOVA. Unless You're being paid to be there, these are places to visit, not stay.
>>
>>1023826
Cali for a here. Lovkng in a 60 year old stock house that apparently should have turned to dust 40 years ago because it's not urop stronk.

It's also worth 700k because California and it's only 1200 sq Ft.
>>
File: houses.jpg (2MB, 1628x2028px) Image search: [Google]
houses.jpg
2MB, 1628x2028px
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.