[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Handle Reinforcement Concept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Handle Concept.png (18KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Handle Concept.png
18KB, 800x600px
What would happen if I placed a steel rod into the center of the wooden handle? Would it reinforce the handle?
>>
>>1009347
yeah it will reinforce it. just make sure you're not going to break something more expensive if you put too much force on the reinforced handle.
>>
>>1009347
Generally yes, but it does depend a bit on what the handle is going to be used for- leverage and striking both will be slightly different
>>
>>1009347
It would pretty much only have the strength of the steel, as the wood loses it's strength. The wood's strength is from its natural grain and handles are cut from center of the log for density. Basically, you'll have a steel handle with a wood grip. Better off just making a handle out of steel pipe and tape for the grip. Far easier, and lighter than you're idea.
>>
You'd end up with a wooden veneered steel handle.
>>
As has been stated you would lose the strength of the wood by cutting the grain. In the case of picture you've shown you'll find the metal will be more flexible than the wood and crack the wood around it as it bends.
You could use a different shape of metal like an I beam and it would be more ridgid but obviously more difficult to do.
You could use a larger piece of metal but you will further weaken the wood.
If the handle is only going to be stressed in one direction, than a flat piece of metal with two slabs, like the handle of a full hilt knife would work .
>>
File: Handle Concept better.png (33KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Handle Concept better.png
33KB, 800x600px
I made an improved sketch
>>
>duh iz steel stronger dan wood duhh?

"yes"
>>
>>1009727
I don't think there's a single poster in this thread that didn't understand your idea from the original image. You have your answer. It will be as strong as the steel inside it, while the wood will lose structure.
>>
>>1009727
I still don't get it.
Can you render a 3D imaging? It's a little hard to grasp.
>>
Y'all know where i can get step wedges in bulk?

Or at least a place that has a diverse selection?
>>
>>1009727
how are you going to put it back together once you cut it in half?
>>
Do it the other way around and you'll be golden.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.