[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Broken Ikea Desk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: CkovFDaVAAAAAk-.jpg (88KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
CkovFDaVAAAAAk-.jpg
88KB, 960x720px
I accidentally punched a gaping hole in my desk. It doesn't have to look pretty, but what can I do to get a nice flat surface again? A mouse pad goes over it anyways, so its mostly just to keep it level.
>>
Did you die in your multiplayer shooters OP?
>>
File: psl.jpg (62KB, 540x361px) Image search: [Google]
psl.jpg
62KB, 540x361px
>>1006903
Yes. The current plan is just to lay down a thin layer pf rigid plastic or metal so that its flat like before.
>>
>>1006902
>>1006911
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
you can fill it in with any number of pastes, then sand and paint. bondo, liquid wood, drywall spackle, etc.
>>
>>1006902
Well, since the desk is clearly made of shit, glue and cancer disguised as wood why not just fill it in with some bondo? Do it in layers and then sand it flat.
>>
>>1006914
This. We prob hav the same ikea table, or maybe I have the big rectangle one and you have the small square one. I had the same problem, used plaster, sanded it, painted over. Still holds, looks like shit.
>>
File: FTMopQcJ.jpg (194KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
FTMopQcJ.jpg
194KB, 2048x1152px
>>1006902
It also cracked on the bottom. Any ideas on how to repair this? This part isn't nearly as important, but I'll see what I can do about it.
>>
>>1006911
Clipboard board cut off with a dremel
>>
>>1006922
Wouldn't that be too thick?
>>
>>1006920

Cut some plywood in a square enough to cover the main part. Screw on top of 2 2x4s, put plywood face up toward underneath of desk with 2x4 from left to right. 1x2's can also work.

This will add stability and strength.

Pick out any loose pieces.

Fill hole with wood putty agent. Apply in layers for quicker drying.

Sand, paint, etc.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Sandpaper-Patching-Repairs-Patching-Repair/Wood-Filler/N-5yc1vZc5d1Z1z0sv1t
>>
Razer mice are terrible.

Also from the thumbnail i though the crack was a snake
>>
>>1006926
Please do as this guy says, which is the right way, you faggot. Also, grow up and stop being physically violent, fuccboi.
>>
>>1006902
>I accidentally punched a gaping hole in my desk
did video game make baby mad again?
>>
>>1006988
Already asked here >>1006903
And answered here >>1006911

Why did you even bump this shit thread? OP is clearly a raging manchild who beats up his furniture when someone on the internet is better at something than he is. Furthermore, his question for how to fix his fuckup has already been answered, and quite thoroughly at that. Best to just let this bitch slide down and eventually off the last page.

>>1006902
>>1006914
>>1006926
/thread
>>
>>1006902
get gud son
>>
>>1006902
Get a sheet of masonite (hardboard) or thin MDF, get the nice man at the store to cut it to size for you, glue it over the top of your desk and spray it black, it might not be pretty but it will be better than what you have now.

On a side note anon, first learn to control your anger, it is one of the signs of a man (not a man/boy) that he knows when, where and how to show and release his anger, secondly stop buying shitty furniture, cheap furniture is a poor investment and never stands up to normal abuse let alone fits of anger, go buy an old desk at an auction, it will have more character and will last way longer than Ikea shit, my desk was built in the 1890's, it cost me $60 bucks at an auction because it was dirty, after a good clean and a (very) minor repair it is now worth double or triple what I paid for it, whereas your desk even if it was in prime condition was/is worth almost nothing the minute you took it out the box and assembled it.
>>
>>1006902
>ikea desk
buy a new one
its not worth fixing
>>
>>1008712
>Get a sheet of masonite (hardboard) or thin MDF, get the nice man at the store to cut it to size for you, glue it over the top of your desk and spray it black, it might not be pretty but it will be better than what you have now.
that or melamine, even if it has to be two boards
>>
Try to find a matching part in ikea as is.
>>
>>1006902
For a truly flat surface without seams, I would get a fiberglass mesh and Bondo at your local automotive place, sand it down with a power sander.

But practically, I would replace the surface. Ikea stuff be cheap.
>>
op just bondo it and sand it down
>>
>>1006902
You can't accidentally punch something you rage filled cretin.
>>
>>1008924
>Ikea stuff be cheap.
Because it's shit, it's a false economy buying cheap furniture.
>>
>>1008794
Not a terrible option but Masonite is cheaper and the smooth side will look just as good after painting as the melamine would.
>>
>>1006902
Want it fixed? Go have your mommy buy you a new one.
>>
>>1008722
This is what i was thinking aswell, the time + material cost to fix it would surely be higher than just getting a new table.
>>
>>1009364
To be honest iþ would probably be cheaper to buy a new ikea desk-top that to fix it.
Here in germany they cost like 10-20€, depebding on size
>>
>>1008722

America! FUCK YEAH!
>>
>>1006902
Use self-leveling concrete
>>
File: hole.jpg (349KB, 600x502px) Image search: [Google]
hole.jpg
349KB, 600x502px
>>1006902
I feel your pain, OP. I have the same shitty Ikea desk, except mines obviously a little older than yours because all the shitty paint is worn off on mine. No one thinks "Oh, I should probably not hit this piece of shit desk because it's cheap and HOLLOW" when they're upset.

Should just buy a new, better desk.
>>
>>1009997
You probably should stop being a 16 year old and hitting anything when you're upset.
>>
>>1010021
Actually, unlike OP, I'm not usually violent and quick to breaking things. The hole in my desk is the result of three months of bottled stress.
>>
File: 384x512[1].jpg (98KB, 384x512px) Image search: [Google]
384x512[1].jpg
98KB, 384x512px
>>1006902
God dammit. I don't have the patience for all these summer fag posts. Forget Forever September. It's Forever June.
>>
>>1010050
A similar thing happened to mine at work.
It was damaged by something falling onto it, and I just kept picking at it until it got really large.
>>
File: 9305a73f.jpg (169KB, 760x689px) Image search: [Google]
9305a73f.jpg
169KB, 760x689px
>>1009983

Cheep shit FUCK YEAH!!!!

For a long time i had an IKEA coffee table. Was cheep but got the job done.

When it broke i was not going to put time and money into fixing a $10 coffee table i got of creigslist.

Instead i went out and got myself some nice wood and made my own. turned out nice. used my lathe for the legs and my router to put fancy shit all over it.

Though i want to make one like this for my man cave someday.
>>
>>1010050

>unlike OP im not violent
>i just bottle up my rage and let it loose in one temper tantrum

If people want to hit things when they throw a hissy fit why not set up a punching bag in the garage or basement?
>>
if you do it with a plastic or metal plate make sure you put a good spring under it
then you can punch it way more often than once
>>
>>1006902

Cut the hole out in an easy shape. E.g square.

Cut a piece of material (Clip board was a good idea as someone else suggested) just a wee bit smaller than the hole.

Put it in through the bottom and use gorilla glue, superglue, jbweld or whatever to glue it in place with smaller strips (Just use the scrap) connecting to the filler piece, and the main top of the desk itself (bridge the gap with the "brackets.")

Fill in with wood putty or bondo or shit if you didn't cut it and the replacement surface clean enough.
>>
>>1006902
what is you budget anon?

>>1008712
>Get a sheet of masonite (hardboard) or thin MDF, get the nice man at the store to cut it to size for you, glue it over the top of your desk and spray it black, it might not be pretty but it will be better than what you have now.

This.
>>
>>1010307
*your budget*
>>
Lol, it's not even solid wood.
>>
>>1006902
Lmao tell me this is bait
>>
>>1010050
And exactly how does that not make you a 16 year old throwing a tantrum?
>>
>>1006902
you bought a desk made out of cardboard.. what did you expect?
>mfw I was just starting to think idea wasnt really that bad and maybe made good stuff
>mfw this thread two days later
>>
>>1006902
I saw you on /v/
>>
>raging at a video game
Loser.
>>
File: 1466515970637600900281.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1466515970637600900281.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>1006902
I've put fold pizza box pieces and taped it afterwards
>>
Just make a new desk. With real wood.
>>
>>1006902
Easiest fix would be to buy something like a blank door panel from Home Depot and just rest/screw it into the desk on top. It will look kind of weird but will give you a nice flat service instantly, also the doorknob hole can be used to route wires in the back.
>>
>>1006913
Exactly what above said...

Live with your irresponsible impulses. But definitely continue to invest into gayming gear :)
>>
>>1006990
>>1012882
Do you call all Ikea desk users manchildren?
>>
>>1006990
>let this bitch slide down and eventually off the last page.

Opps
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.