[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody know anything on Carbon Fiber Running blades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: nikesole-1.jpg (10KB, 700x523px) Image search: [Google]
nikesole-1.jpg
10KB, 700x523px
I feel that makeing my own cf blade would be cheaper than buying one i'm just not sure about a few thing:
1. number of layers i would need
2. if theres some other material it's made out of or if its just carbon fiber
3,advantages/disadvantages of the different mounting options
4. dimensions
>>
>>1002885
don't shoot your girlfriend
>>
>>1002885
Don't cut off your leg OP, it's not worth it. Post pics.
>>
>>1002885
1. at least four, less than nine
2. epoxy usually helps
3. you'll need to cut off your lower legs for optimum performance
4. 3 by 12 by 2
>>
>>1003407
if i make this i'd probably be able to stab her nice and silent like
>>1003427
i'm already an ak amputee thats why i'm looking into making this
>>
>1. number of layers i would need
Depends on the design of the blade and the weight of fabric you're laminating. This is really the last step we should consider for designing the blade, so let's come back to this.
>2. if theres some other material it's made out of or if its just carbon fiber
I think low-modulus carbon fiber is probably the best material you could use.
>3,advantages/disadvantages of the different mounting options
Single-point is simple and quick to replace. Multi-point mounting would be stronger and lighter. Just copy something.

But anyways, ideally before we design the thing, we ought to know a) what kind of stiffness/spring rate we want (kN/cm, or whatever), and how much deflection/load we must design it to withstand. In order to design it for minimum weight, I think a sandwich construction would be ideal, and the thickness of the core would be determined by the latter (and the radius of the "ankle" section that will be flexing).
>>
>>1002885
Just get a wooden leg and embrace being a pirate
>>
The biggest issue for you will probably be the heat/pressure curing. The challenged athlete foundation gives people grants to buy them if you want one.
>>
File: 1462978499782.gif (25KB, 288x290px) Image search: [Google]
1462978499782.gif
25KB, 288x290px
>>1002885
realistically, unless you have had prior experience working with composites of any form, jumping straight into working with carbon is not really something i would suggest.

first off, carbon is expensive. not worth-its-weight-in-scarp-gold expensive, but certainly not something you can just pick up at home depot.

second, its hard to work with. carbon is very stiff, which is one of the things that makes it a uniquely valuable material. because of this, working with it and forming pieces, either as a wet layup with liquid resin and dry fibers, or preimpregnated tapes or sheets is difficult and prone to errors. many times i have messed up a part i was making because a single sheet of prepreg frayed half way into the layup, or there was a tiny fold that propagated through the rest of the part. it also needs to be kept under a full vacuum while curing, which is not that easy.

third, storage and post processing are a pain. preimpregnated carbon (and glass or aramid) typically needs to be kept below freezing to prevent the resin from curing. this means that it also needs to be shipped frozen, further meaning that it costs more to buy, and you need to buy larger quantities to get it at all. after part layup, you also need to cure the piece in either an oven or an autoclave, which im skeptical you have access to. your normal stove in the kitchen isnt precise enough with rampup/rampdown to do this, and will ruin both the part and your oven.

fourth, theres a lot of physics behind making something strong, flexible, and lightweight. im no expert on the matter (yet), but you need to take into account weight imparted by your falling mass onto the part, the elastic modulus of the material, the interlaminar shear strength, etc.

i want to make a pair of these myself as the final project in my composites course, but its not an easy thing to do. i would sugest buying them, and playing with eglass layup in your garage before making the plunge into carbon fiber layup.
>>
>>1004224
>I think a sandwich construction would be ideal, and the thickness of the core would be determined by the latter (and the radius of the "ankle" section that will be flexing).

perhaps for some of the load bearing areas that do not flex, though my experiences with sandwiching and composites is that core materials are meant to offer strength and rigidity while lessening total weight and cost. a good comparison would be expanding foam to fill gaps. its not really there to flex at all.

though yes, you are correct about taking into consideration the properties of the material and the forces it will be expected to endure. i would imagine that this would require multiple parts being made or plans from previous builds to be acquired.

>>1003942
>i'm already an ak amputee thats why i'm looking into making this

sorry to hear, though its inspiring to hear that you want to take control of your recovery. once im finished with my schooling im heavily considering becoming a prosthetist myself. in the mean time, i would consider trying to come up with slightly more mechanical solutions to your situation simply because the tools needed for working with metals and plastics are likely more accessible to you than those needed to work with composites.

sorry i cant be of much help, but best of luck my man.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.