[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sound proofing diy/cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Need to sound proof one or two of my walls in my rental house so I cant just Rip off the jib and re-insulate the wall so any tips or help would be awesome
>>
Bookshelves
>>
You just posted what you need in the avatar. What the fuck.
>>
>>1001630
not exactly cheap mate, and from what ive read its a misconception on how much the deaden the sound they just stop re-verb and echo
>>
>>1001639

Cork tiles and egg boxes used to be the cheap answer but I doubt that would work out cheap these days unless you eat a lot of eggs. It only really helps with high and mid range, nothing gonna stop sub bass shaking the floor.
>>
>>1001641
dont need it to, just need it to cut down on normal talking level stuff
>>
>>1001644

Do the floor in varying thickness of Cork tiles or multiple layers then foam carpet backing sheets nailed on top, then carpet and heavy rugs, you'll lose more sound through the floor than the walls if you're not ground floor. For ceilings eggboxes are more practical and for walls or, if you can hang drapes or rugs from the walls that will help break up and deaden sound leakage. The more the merrier, it'll make it warm and dark but it'll look like a hippies chill palace and keep the noise down.
>>
Is how do I sound proof a room in the DIY bingo card? Because if it isn't we should make one with all the topics that are asked ad nauseum.
>>
>>1001639
>sound deadening
You stop sound by stopping the energy.
How do you think you stop the energy?

You can force it to go through a thick layer of sound isolating material with high R value.

You can make it impossible to transfer the energy out of the room by creating a room-in-a-room. Bonus points if you create a vacuum chamber.

You can cancel the noise out by emitting the opposite wavelength. It's called active noise cancellation. Requires an ASIC (the kind you'd find in MSA Sordins or 3M Peltors) to reproduce the anti-wave fast enough, and they usually only work on specific types of noises (high dBa explosions and jet noise in the case of Sordins and Peltors)

Improving sound quality by removing echo is easy and can be cheap.

Deadening noise is expensive no matter what.
>>
>>1002020

Would active noise cancelling work for muting a particularly noisy circa 2000 4U server with a dozen or so 4" fans in banks.

As you mentioned the noise of a jet it popped into my head, as this is what the server sounds like in the enclosed space of a small study. The noise is intolerable for any length of time, but the hardware is far from being obsolete for practical purposes.
>>
>>1002127
>>1002020
>Would active noise cancelling work for muting a particularly noisy circa 2000 4U server with a dozen or so 4" fans in banks
No. Active noise cancelling only works when the cancelling wave can be reliably emitted out of phase with the noise e.g. in a duct or headphones. Any kind of reverberation/echo makes active noise cancellation impossible.
>>1001616
Pretty difficult task OP. Lowering the reverberant noise on your side will help because it reduces the amount of noise trying to break out. Plenty of soft furnishings is generally the way to go for a non-permanent solution.
Improving the transmission loss of your wall is a matter of adding mass e.g. sheeting over the existing wall with a layer of high-density plasterboard or similar. If you want to go further, you could build a secondary wall on your side on its own studs with insulation in the cavity.
To get a really good result, you'd also need to do this to the side walls and ceiling of the room to prevent structure-borne noise from flanking your partition wall. Same goes for the floor, so you could put a floating floor on, or more practically carpet on a high quality underlay.
>>
Line your walls and ceiling with empty egg cartons!
>>
>>1001616
a good way would be to strip the walls back to the stud and put loft roll (its actually really good for sound insulation) in the cavity and use acoustic drywall.
>>
All these fire hazard ideas.

Don't be dumb. Just get some solid headphones, use them while you watch, play, listen, whatever.

Stop overthinking shit. Simple always works the best.
>>
Been looking at deadining the fans in my pc, the egg carton and foam is really more for reducing the rebounding sounds. What you need is dense fexible material like heavy rubber matting, or thick fabric. For my pc im going to get some neoprene for fan gasket and using that aswell with a couple layers of dense weave fabric to line the inside panels.

With fan noise your out of luck really, to stop it you would have to block the airflow and slow it down as its fast flow is what makes most of the noisemaybe going more fans cycling slower be a good bet
>>
>>1001649
How do I soundproof my company shipping container house on wheels
>>
We pretty much need a soundproofing general at this point.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.