[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Extraction: Metric hexhead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2248.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2248.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Extract 4 metric hexheads which have been filed over / peened over through use.

What I have:
metric & imperial allen keys,
shifting wrenches (key lengtheners)
screw drivers (potential sacrificial chisels)
WD-40 / 3-in-1
a grossly inadequate woodworking "vice"
one automatic centrepunch
hand files
cynoacrylate glue

What I don't have:
HSS drillbits / hand drill
Welding equipment
punches / coldchisels
dremel
epoxy

(yes I checked the catalogue before posting an extraction thread)
>>
File: IMG_2249.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2249.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
interior shot:

the silver outer plate is sacrificial, but the internal screw threads aren't. And I suspect that the plate and threads are more powerful than the shoe (which is also non-sacrificial).
>>
To me it totally looks like you could clean that out with a pick and take it off with a regular allen wrench.
>>
>>1001342
Put it in vice.
Spray with wd40 to appease machine spirits.
Clean the shit out of the hex head. Take hex tool of correct size. Hammer, literally with a hammer, tap it into the socket. Unscrew
Those don't look that bad at all.
>>
>>1001345
Looks that way, the problem is that abrasion on concrete and peening against metal have reduced the 4 mm heads to 3.xy mm. Also rounded them out.
>>
>>1001348
Cheers. I shall commence with vicing and appeasing. May it please all people with stuck and seized parts to post here for assistance.
>>
File: hexBolt.jpg (21KB, 375x280px) Image search: [Google]
hexBolt.jpg
21KB, 375x280px
>>1001342
I would see if any of my blade type screwdrivers fit diagonally in the hex socket as in the way shown by black line in pic.
otherwise I'd use screwdriver / coldchisel to try and loosen the fastener by striking it as indicated by the red arrow
>>
File: IMG_2250.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2250.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Cheers /diy/.

Sockets were thoroughly appeased.

Sacrificial flathead screw drivers cleaned the sockets nicely (gumnut, not catshit, there you go). They also helped ream out the corners when the bench didn't resist the mallet sufficiently. Long arm malleting helped position and control the allen key, and a shifter provided the torque to get the bastards off.
>>
File: IMG_2254.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2254.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
New spd cleats fitted, WD-40 drying, and ready for filling holes & rubbed wax & hairdryer waterproofing.
>>
File: easy out.jpg (31KB, 372x500px) Image search: [Google]
easy out.jpg
31KB, 372x500px
>>1001342
Just get a small set of easy-outs.

I literally just did this exact thing with some stripped out T-25 torx head screws.
$10 set of easy outs from horrible freight along with my little electric drill did the trick

http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8430P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B000H6PM32
>>
>>1001400
Well, thanks for advising on a product and to buy a hand drill. Tell me when you've used the product tapping using a shifting spanner.
>>
>>1001342
Start with a pair of needlenose vicegrip pliers and grab the outside of the bolt. If that doesn't work then get a dremel tool and cut a slot in the heads and use a screwdriver. If that doesn't work then grind the heads off, it's not like you're going to re-use the bolts or the cleats anyway. Next time protect your cleats better.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.