[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one made you appreciate the DC universe more? Which one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: DC.jpg (686KB, 1920x1984px) Image search: [Google]
DC.jpg
686KB, 1920x1984px
Which one made you appreciate the DC universe more?
Which one do you think is the better show for people curious about it?
>>
File: Teen Titans and The Batman.png (394KB, 1000x348px) Image search: [Google]
Teen Titans and The Batman.png
394KB, 1000x348px
>>95367873
These are the only capeshit toons worth watching.
>>
>>95367873
Brave and the bold. It showed a DCU wider than superheroes.
>>
>>95368070
This. It's also super comfy. I like the Aquaman portrayal on the show, also did they ever show Manta in BatB? Aquaman going on a road trip was a pretty 10/10 episode.
>>
>>95368101
Manta was in BatB
He even sang with Grodd and Clock King in the Music Meister episode
>>
>>95368156
Did he have a major appearance on the show*? Like him being the villain of the week?
>>
>>95367873
I first got obsessed with batman with BATB so obviously im biased towards that
>>
File: tumble~.png (236KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumble~.png
236KB, 640x480px
>>95368101
>>95368156
>>
>>95368187
He was along with Ocean Master
>>
>>95367873

JLU showed that it can be serious and competent and giving things for every age group. The same can be said for BatB but to me JLU reached a peak in action cartoons no other show can match.
>>
>>95367873
JLU is better for the average guy in every way.
Brave and the Bold - for the most of the time - is a time travelling parody for fans.

>>95367891
The Batman is a shit.
>>
>>95368214
I don't think JLU aged well tho, not to say it wasn't good.
>>
>>95367873
>BATB is literally TTG: Batman Edition
>/co/ fucking loves it?
>>
Quite frankly looking back I can't say I like Justice League as much as I used. It's far from even resembling bad but it's got it's head shoved up it's ass so far it can french kiss itself. And to be blunt I hate how Timm writes Superman. Especially that "World of cardboard" bullshit.
>>
>>95368360
Nigga Brave and the Bold is a huge love letter to the Silver Age and is a modernized take that stays true to it
>>
>>95368360
>>95365498
People in BATB aren't incompetent tho.
>>
>>95368314

Every once in a while I'll watch clips on Youtube. The writing is still solid and the action is still fluid. The early seasons are rough (although I preferred the two episode format) but JLU had everything refined.
>>
>>95368379
You could make a similar argument for TTG, just replace "Silver Age" with something more modern.
>>
>>95367873
JLA introduced me to the DC universe, but BatB made me appreciate the Silver age.

>>95368360
It's not like TTG.
It's actually entertaining.
>>
>>95368428
Like what?

>>95368415
Maybe I just don't like the episode that feature the founding 7 in JLU. Booster episode was great tho.
>>
>>95368475
The Flash episodes were the best though.
>>
>>95368360
>BATB has
>actual drama in notable episodes
>good lore based humor
>solid action scenes
>portrays most of the characters as their genuine selves
>Music Meister
>>
>>95368515
What were the flash episodes anyway? Can only remember the one where they went to BlackHawk island and Apocalypse.
>>
I hate Bruce Timm's copy pasted body type.

X-men evo was a far inferior show but at least everyone had a different build. To an almost autistic degree in fact
>>
>>95368534
HOW?
>>
>>95368525
It also has a pleasing art style.
TTG looks so fucking disgusting I wouldn't watch it even if the comedy was good.
>>
I think JLU was probably the better show for people already interested in the DCU. Specifically, the show is great on its own, but to really appreciate it fully, you have to go into it with prior knowledge of the shows that came before it, B:TAS, S:TAS and even Batman Beyond. That requires a level of prior investment that's not as friendly to newcomers, though like I said, the show is still fine even without all of that.

BatB, on the other hand, was just as respectful as JLU, and also just as willing to get into the "deep cuts" of the DC universe, putting the spotlight on characters, concepts and settings that the average viewer might not have ever heard of, but doing so in such a way that was easy to digest. It didn't have JLU's strict adherence to continuity, and while that meant it couldn't have compelling arcs like the whole Cadmus thing, it was still able to tell the occasional serious story, with the bonus benefit being that as a more or less episodic show, it was much more accessible.

tl;dr: JLU was a great show for fans, BatB was a great "beginner's primer" show for people who might BECOME fans, both were still really goddamn incredible.
>>
>>95370289

Really? Id argue the opposite. JLU is so serious that it screams casual interest.
>>
>>95368531
That never bothered me. It's almost funny how he managed to streamline all the body types to the only two that matter.
>>
>>95368360
Outrageous, am I right? The only thing that was lackluster was Batmite and the ending episodes.
>>
>>95367873
>batman the brave and the bold , i know more about the great glorius master pro plastic man
>>
I think JLU in a lot of places got up its own ass a bit and did too much OC, like their versions of Amazo and Power Girl. They made for good episodes but you can hardly call that a love of the DCU.

BATB is through and through a love letter in the purest way. The closest thing to OC is its version of Aquaman.
>>
>>95374806
Was Captain Atom a prick in the source material?
>>
>>95367873
JLU was the best superhero show ever made and I hated the first seasons of Justice League.
>>
>>95367873
Anal.
>>
>>95374806
Don't forget that Kara isn't Zor-El's daughter or Superman's actual cousin in the DCAU.
>>
>>95367873
JL/JLU is necessary to make you care for the universe, because it takes itself seriously. You can't get invested into something when your starting point is a joke.
But, after getting invested, you can enjoy b&b and realise it's better.
But only after.
>>
>>95370289
That's funny because I think it's the other way around. BatB is better when you're already interested in DC stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it over JLU for someone who has never seen anything else.
>>
>>95375792
>But, after getting invested, you can enjoy b&b and realise it's better.
>But only after.
Nah see, if a certain series is better' it should be able to stand on its own merit. But as you said, b&b first requires JLU in order to get invested with the universe. Ultimately, b&b doesn't take itself seriously enough to make the characters endearing. No comedy show can do this. Once you make a cape series primarily a comedy, you lose all chance of making a series with memorable characters and arcs.
>>
>>95367873
Can't I love both for different reasons?
>>
>>95376041
You rank something (In this case a series) on how well it accomplishes its goals.
JL/U has the goal of being an appealing adventure to casuals, normalfags and comicfans alike.
BB has the goal of being a fun comedy and nostalgiawank for comicfans.
BB does its goal more successfully. But unless you're already a comicfan it won't work. Which , by design, it's not supposed to.
>>
>>95368255
I wouldn't call Brave and the Bold parody. Its earnestness is its best quality.
>>
>Which one made you appreciate the DC universe more?

BATB, easily gave more characters real prominence without ignoring/changing their established personalities and explored more franchises

>Which one do you think is the better show for people curious about it?

JLU, because BATB will seem to childish based on the art style and they will be less likely to buy in
>>
>>95376108
If you read the thread, you'll see most people like both. It's just a discussion of what each show specialized in.
>>
>>95367873
Probably JLU. Not every episode had to have Batman wedged into it just to off what a complete and utter badass he is while also being a dick to everyone.
>>
>>95367873
JLU made me appreciate the characters who don`t get enough attention
and BATB made me appreciate the silly aspects of the dc universe and characters
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.