[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a Metroid cartoon work? When would it take place?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 27

Would a Metroid cartoon work? When would it take place?
>>
>>95340965
>wanting a cartoon adaptation of a video game
>wanting any sort of adaptation of a video game that forgoes the interactive aspect
>>
>>95341015
>not wanting an expanded Metroid universe outside the manga
>>
>>95341015
>Never watched Castlevania.
>>
>>95340965
It could, but it would have to take itself very seriously, and be handled by writers who are comfortable with a minimum of dialog.
>>
>>95341015
>>wanting a cartoon adaptation of a video game

You act like those have never been successful before.
>>
Metroid cartoon would be shit. I don't want to watch Samus wander around in silence by herself for a half hour. That sort of thing is fun to PLAY but shitty to WATCH.

Look I know Metroid threads on /v/ are complete shit but the mods probably aren't gonna let you get away with it here either.
>>
>>95341133
You must hate Samurai Jack
>>
>>95341142
It was alright. But very few of the episodes are just Jack wandering around by himself. There's a shitload of characters he interacts with.
>>
>>95341059
Considering the manga was bad and we got Other M for story, yeah
>>
>>95341174
Why do people hate Other M?
>>
Comedy show in the vein of sealab 2021 focused entirely on the space pirates. Samus only occasionally shows up and is usually only mentioned as being the cause of some destruction of some facility or an excuse why they can't afford good equipment
>>
>>95341217
So basically TUUUUUBES the animated series?
Oh man, I gotta try that.
>>
>>95341206
Strange design choices and poor story. Many weren't fans of Samus' characterization along with the voice acting.
>>
>>95341206
Because it's total shit.
>>
File: 1465423625598.jpg (62KB, 540x501px) Image search: [Google]
1465423625598.jpg
62KB, 540x501px
>>95340965
>Fusion came out in 2002
It hurts.
>>
>>95341206
>>95341269

>>95341270
Well, we got two official Metroid games and a good fan remake.
>>
>>95341206

Samus acted like a subservient retard, which was completely opposite of the personality we were presented with from her monologues in previous games.

The supporting cast were mostly unlikable faggots. Especially Adam.

Opinions on the Zero Suit are split down the middle, but everyone can agree that adding high heels was completely fucking retarded and served no practical purpose.

THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY

Voice acting was mediocre as shit.

The mechanics were mind boggling bad, and the first person camera for firing was awful since it was absolutely necessary in many fast paced sections where you needed to constantly re-adjust your controller position, while also standing perfectly still because that's the only way the camera worked.

The game's lead designer had such a massive hateboner for Metroid Prime that he declared it all non-canon so that Other M could take it's place, something fans disliked greatly.
There's a reason why they're going back to the Metroid Prime and 2D Metroid formulas. Other M's mechanics and design philosophy were a fucking train wreck.
>>
>>95341206
The biggest complaint, aside from the mechanics (wich her awful btw), is that it what all over Samus's character.
>>
>>95341170
Then create some characters to play off Samus. This ain't rocket science.
>>
>>95340965
Kinda like Samurai Jack
>>
>>95340965
It could probably work fine, actually. Just stick to episodic adventures, occasional flashback episode to childhood on Zebes, minimal dialogue of course, chozo spiritualism adding to the atmosphere.

Keep it simple and it'll be hard to fuck up. Metroid is already hard to fuck up as it is.
>>
>>95341577
>Metroid is already hard to fuck up as it is.
and yet...
>>
>>95341206 see >>95341374

Also, her pathetic freakout fighting Ridley despite having killed him multiple times like the pathetic midboss he always has been pretty much sealed its reputation as a shitty game.
>>
>>95341217
I'm ok with this
Or Shorts done in the style of aeon flux
>>
>>95341577
>Metroid is already hard to fuck up as it is.
Other M should be considered a cautionary tale against statements like this.
>>
The show could be fucking anything, fuck the show.

I'd start with notes to the network and to the advertisers.

I'll NEVER mention that Samus is a girl.

I will tell them that the cartoon is about a cool robot, killing monsters.

The networks will look at Samus and think, yes, that is a cool robot, we will make cool robot toys, and the advertisers will make commercials of the show about how cool her ship looks, and how many explosions she can make, because that's what kids want to see robots do.

"Wow the robot has a gun for an arm?" Yes of course, it is a robot, and definitely not a strong female protagonist in a suit. You fucking predictable vulture cunts.
>>
>>95340965
The guy who made the castlevania cartoon said that he wants to make a metroid cartoon
>>
>>95340965
>Metroid cartoon
Nah Ridley It's too big to put it in a cartoon
>>
>>95342445
>>>/reddit/ is that way, kiddo.
>>
>>95341206

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XSkRuPuthY

This should cover almost everything except the continuity issues.
>>
>>95340965
I'd personally rather have a general Nintendo cartoon that focuses on everything. 15 minute episodes, different story and setting each episode. Like the first one could be a side story about some Mario antics outside of saving Peach, the next one could be a Samurai Jack-esque Zelda or Metroid episode, etc.
>>
>>95341835

That was so bad I honestly forgot about it.

I'd understand if Other M was the first time she ever saw Ridley since he slaughtered her parents like sheep right in front of her, and she was unsure if she was even capable of harming him.
But the fact that it was a normal Ridley encounter of the week is what made it such concentrated levels of shit.
>>
File: 1503958605674.jpg (148KB, 550x600px) Image search: [Google]
1503958605674.jpg
148KB, 550x600px
>>95341015
>this entire post
>>
>people beg and beg for a new Metroid, ignoring that there's no decent studio available to make it
>we get Samus Returns, a piece of crap from a mediocre dev
Fuck Metroid "fans". Why are they so greedy that they need to beg for a game just for the sake of it? That's how we got Other M, but nobody learned from that mistake.

I'd rather have nothing than Samus Returns. THAT'S how you ruin a franchise: diluting it with rushed crap, not letting it lie until someone has a great idea for it.
>>
>>95342513
>I'd understand if Other M was the first time she ever saw Ridley since he slaughtered her parents like sheep right in front of her, and she was unsure if she was even capable of harming him.

She first faces him in the manga and she has half the freak out she has in Other M and that's with Ridley taunting her over how the cells that made her parents now make up his butthole.
>>
File: 452ff78274caaf4d78cb0769b40e99e2.jpg (951KB, 1109x850px) Image search: [Google]
452ff78274caaf4d78cb0769b40e99e2.jpg
951KB, 1109x850px
>>95340965
It would be best done in the style of the original Aeon Flux shorts.

Quick, jam-packed with action, with a good amount of wandering through the levels as well. Minimal dialogue among any characters. Samus's emotions would be portrayed through body language.

Bad endings optional.
>>
>>95341516
So enjoyable in an inconsequential monster of the week world-traveler format but as soon as the showrunner tries to put together a concrete arc it all falls apart and becomes horribly disappointing but in actuality it had no chance of living up to its own nigh-mythical reputation in the first place?
>>
>>95342206
>an edgy as fuck Metroid
Prime wasn't enough?
>>
>>95342579
Samus Returns is good though
>>
>>95340965

>Would a Metroid cartoon work?

Only if it goes like the actual Metroid series and endlessly recycles the same concepts for every successive episode.
>>
File: 1467277056718.jpg (38KB, 637x476px) Image search: [Google]
1467277056718.jpg
38KB, 637x476px
>>95343288
>Prime
>edgy
>>
>>95343288

Please give one example of Prime being edgy.
>>
>>95340965
It would work like samurai jack. Long silent scenes, a solo protagonist that says little when alone, contrasting quick and loud action scenes.
>>
>>95343466
>>95343511
It's aesthetically edgy. Christ, just because something is edgy doesn't make it bad.
>>
>>95342495
I don't feel like that would work because the writing staff would have to adapt to each property and some of them are going to be inevitably ill suited for them. Having the same writers for each property is a pretty terrible idea since, even in the off chance they were great at writing that particular property, they're going to get stagnant quick without any other voices to bounce off of, and having an entire writing staff for each Nintendo property in the show is not feasible.

No offense, and this isn't meant as a personal attack or anything, but this is precisely why /co/ could never make a cartoon.
>>
>>95340965
Only as a netflix series. Putting it on actual TV would be a death sentence, since it would be a plot-driven show in a world where networks are only willing to run lolzsorandum shit as filler for more of the same.
>>
We all agree Hunters is the best Prime right?
>>
>>95343311
It's only slightly better than Mirror of fucking Fate which was a pile of crap.

AM2R was an example of how you do a good modern Metroid, without sluggish gameplay full of broken stupid melee attacks, fugly graphics, awful cutscenes and other ill-conceived gameplay additions that just make the whole experience feel sloppy and amateurish, ironic considering AM2R was made by one guy and SR by a professional studio.
>>
>>95340965
only if mother brain has eggplant wizard and king hippo working for her
>>
>>95344022
Oh, you're one of those people
>>
>>95342723
came to say pretty much this
>>
>>95344112
You didn't refute any of his points.
>>
File: Prime vs Other M Concept art.jpg (237KB, 1809x896px) Image search: [Google]
Prime vs Other M Concept art.jpg
237KB, 1809x896px
>>95341206
>>
File: Prime vs Other M snow textures.jpg (717KB, 1919x2159px) Image search: [Google]
Prime vs Other M snow textures.jpg
717KB, 1919x2159px
>>95344683
>>
File: West vs East.png (915KB, 880x827px) Image search: [Google]
West vs East.png
915KB, 880x827px
>>95344692
>>
>>95340965

No. Only as a 30 or 40 minute short where she runs around and shoots aliens in silence. Metroid shits the bed hard anytime they try to inject story or character and I'm not just talking about Other M.
>>
Samus will be a transpecies nigger if we get a cartoon adaptation.
I'm sorry it had to be said /co/.
But we must wait til the aids afflicted Tumblr community finally perishes
>>
File: othermcontradictseverything.png (351KB, 1242x1145px) Image search: [Google]
othermcontradictseverything.png
351KB, 1242x1145px
>>95341374
>The game's lead designer had such a massive hateboner for Metroid Prime that he declared it all non-canon so that Other M could take it's place

And yet Other M contradicts every Metroid game
>>
File: m-muh prime isnt canon.png (641KB, 931x523px) Image search: [Google]
m-muh prime isnt canon.png
641KB, 931x523px
>>95341374
>The game's lead designer had such a massive hateboner for Metroid Prime that he declared it all non-canon so that Other M could take it's place
>>
>>95344692
>textures

HOW
>>
>>95344781
Nintendo is proprietary as fuck. Nothing messes with their properties.

Samus will keep on being a big-tittied blonde amazon in a skintight suit even if America becomes a jihadist state.
>>
>>95340965
It wouldn't work because Samus herself is VERY BORING.

Look /co/ I'm not talking about Other M Samus who as annoying. I mean every single other previous incarnation of Samus. She is boring. Far too much of a snorefest that it would make watching a cartoon with her very much a struggle.
>>
HOLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SOY EL CRITICO DE LA NOSTALGIA
Y VINE AQUI A VIOLARME A TU HERMANA
>>
Yes, Before she gets her power armor explaining her childhood and then she gets a Shippuden time skip to her training when ridley destroys her village
>>
>>95344683
This is the most embarrassing cherrypicking I've ever seen from /v/, and that's saying something.
>>
At first I thought about the samurai jack angle too but after reading this thread I'd rather throw my funds at Tubes The Animated Series.

It could even be a bit more grim if need be, making Samus into the space slasher villain the pirates see her as.
>>
>>95342206
>Wanting 2 edgy fedorafag shows
>>
>>95341206
THE BABY
>>
>>95341374
>The supporting cast were mostly unlikable faggots. Especially Adam.

Computer Adam > The Real Adam
>>
>>95342178
>I'll NEVER mention that Samus is a girl.
So your intention would be to go back in time and make the cartoon in 1987?
>>
>>95341133
>Look I know Metroid threads on /v/ are complete shit but the mods probably aren't gonna let you get away with it here either.
>>
>>95341133
>Look I know Metroid threads on /v/ are complete shit but the mods probably aren't gonna let you get away with it here either.
>Look I know /co/mblr has a big hateboner for /v/ but the mods let it happen because it's funny seeing pathetic losers fight
ftfy
>>
>>95345239
>cherrypicking
>when that's literally the concept art for Other M
>projecting your hate for /v/ into this

fat faggot
>>
>>95340965
maybe some kinda artsy OVA or movie, like chronicles of riddick:dark fury
>>
File: Raid on Outpost Nine.png (2MB, 666x8806px) Image search: [Google]
Raid on Outpost Nine.png
2MB, 666x8806px
>>95340965
Execution is everything. It could work, but only if someone competent had creative control over it.
>>
File: Samus.png (4MB, 2634x1791px) Image search: [Google]
Samus.png
4MB, 2634x1791px
if it featured this Samus everyone would love it

except the japanese of course
>>
>>95347760
Or the weeabos.

But honestly the Japanese don't care about Metroid anyway so Nintendo should just cater to the west frpm now on.
>>
>>95343618
Answer how the fuck is it edgy?
>>
>>95340965
Metroid Fusion is the final adventure Samus has lore wise right? And Other M is her first?
>>
>>95347115
That was really good.
>>
>>95341015
this desu. people who want a cartoon/movie adaptations of vidya are fucking retarded
>>
File: 1498633049414.png (391KB, 611x474px) Image search: [Google]
1498633049414.png
391KB, 611x474px
I always imagined it would be one of those sorta goofy 90's cartoons that had no right being as good as it was, something like Beast Wars. The plot would probably loosely follow the events of Super for the first season then turn into its own thing in the following seasons and just keep getting better. Samus wouldn't talk much but she'd have some partners who do all the talking, like other bounty hunters or something. Probably some little creature like an Etecoon who would behave like Apu and a really gruff android with a wild temper who mocks Samus for being less human than he is but cares about her deep down.
Also since it's the 90's, there'd be some sort of space ninja character who'd have a hoverboard and antagonise the main characters but eventually join them on their adventures. Ridley would have a lot of lines and be voiced by some inexplicably Shakespearean actor who somewhat resents his biggest role being a big purple space pterodactyl but ends up loving the attention.
Basically the sort of vibe I imagine can be summed up in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMBpVXzWM
>>
File: sc_MM_Ch1_Page11.jpg (200KB, 554x940px) Image search: [Google]
sc_MM_Ch1_Page11.jpg
200KB, 554x940px
>>95341174
In what universe was the manga bad? Fuck off, Primefag.
>>
>>95341015
t. never seen wakfu
>>
>>95348426
>>95348389
No wait I fucked that up, it's
- Zero Mission
- Prime
- Hunters
- Prime 2
- Prime 3
- Return of Samus
- Super
- Other M
- Fusion
>>
>>95340965
Should be like those Genndy Star Wars shorts. No dialogue, just cool scenes of a lady shooting aliens with her gun arm.

Fuck pretending like Metroid has a story. You walk around a maze and shoot aliens and that's good enough.
>>
>>95348466
>Fuck pretending like Metroid has a story.
confirmed for never playing any metroid games
>>
>>95348474
Caring about Metroid story is like caring about Kirby story. You land on a planet for some reason and start killing, your cake gets stolen and you start killing. Same thing.
>>
>>95348448
It's not horrible but it's pretty meh.

That said it had a likeable Adam.
>>
>>95348488
That's true for Metroid(NES), Metroid II: Return of Samus(GB), and Super Metroid(SNES). With those three, they progressively added more story elements to each game, but it was mostly just alluded to you're right.

All games after that emphasized the story elements a lot more though.

Fusion had a lot of story/plot/dialogue. The NES remake, Zero Mission, did as well. All the Prime games were EXTREMELY story and worldbuilding heavy. I never played Other M, but it looked like it was also big on story.

Can't really fairly compare them to Kirby or Mario levels of plot hand waving.
>>
File: Other M concepts.png (4MB, 1920x1425px) Image search: [Google]
Other M concepts.png
4MB, 1920x1425px
>>95346563
>saying it's not cherrypicking
>when that's literally what it is

Any other lies you want to spread about Other M? The game has enough problems on its own without you having to cherrypick concept arts. Go back to jerking off over Western Metroid 2 on /v/, Primefaggot.

>>95344715
East any day. I don't even like Other M's suit design, but I could write a book on why the Prime 2 visor is conceptually and visually the dumbest thing they've ever done to Samus' design.
>>
>>95344784
Jesus. He spends the entire rant on Other M's problems within its own story, not that story relates to other games. No contradictions, only plot holes. And some of it based on the Anon's own assumptions, such as the Space Pirates not being sapient. Which Metroid game was it that said that?
>>
>>95348587
Fuck off Dobson.

Metroid Prime's concept artists are lauded as some of the fucking best in the business.

T.Concept artist.
>>
>>95348608
Other M says that.

It says the Space Pirates need Mother Brain to function.
>>
Metroid fusion was 2002?! Jesus Christ, I still remember the commercials. Oh God I'm becoming older!
>>
>>95348587
>I could write a book on why the Prime 2 visor is conceptually and visually the dumbest thing they've ever done to Samus' design

I'm not trying to bait, can you give me the short version on why you feel this way? And do you feel the same way about the Prime 3 visor?

After reading your post I went and looked at a bunch of the power suit variants on wikia, but I'm having trouble imagining why that visor is the dumbest concept/visual thing they've done to the design.
>>
>>95348619
>Fuck off Dobson.
What a complete non sequitur. Even if I were literally Dobson--and I'm not, because as terrible as he is, he can at least draw--that doesn't change the fact that you cherrypicked Other M concepts. And not only that, you fail to recognize that different types of concept pieces exist. All of the simple, silly looking Other M examples you posted display the characters/monsters performing an action of some sort.

They're like storyboard drawings. No one ever compares those to the final product. Perhaps you would, but we've already established how challenged you are.

Meanwhile, the Prime concept arts you showed were obviously made for showing off the individual characters represented. They show no action and are not like storyboards.

Not to mention the most obvious difference between the two, the fact that one is fucking manga styled, and therefore intentionally simpler, and the other isn't.
>>
>>95348667
Within the Metroid Prime concept art you have Skeletal designs of the monsters designed to show internal and external movement, cutaways of the terrain and the puzzles and literally mountains of fantastic to use concept art of various poses and designs.

Inside the other M, you have like a few storyboard sketches, which are probably the worst forms of concept art ever.

You know what concept art is? It's to showcase the concept, and good concept art is ALWAYS more wild, grandoise and detailed than the final model because that is what the designers try to emulate.

Other M's concept art is shit. So shut up Dobson.
>>
File: Bravely defauly concept art.jpg (247KB, 828x798px) Image search: [Google]
Bravely defauly concept art.jpg
247KB, 828x798px
>>95348692
And just for a point for point.

Here is Bravely Default, a "Manga" Styled and simple game, showing how concept art is to explore concepts.
>>
File: powersuitvsped.jpg (932KB, 2000x1676px) Image search: [Google]
powersuitvsped.jpg
932KB, 2000x1676px
>>95348644
Okay, so here's the Power Suit from Super Metroid and the PED Suit from Prime 3. We could argue suit design vs. suit design (and call me a weeb, but I have a lot to say about Retro's western space marine aesthetic), but the first your eyes are drawn to is Samus' helmet. Specifically her visor, right? And the main different there between MP2, MP3, and all the classic Metroids is the center of the visor; where the outline of the visor once curved downward down the center, now it juts up.

Why do you supposed it curved downward in the first place? What do you the think Hiroji Kiyotake's intention was when he designer her visor that way?
>>
>>95348824
*designed
>>
>>95341217
The only thing I want more than this is an animated series about WH40K orks having rock-offs with everybody.
>>
>>95342579
Well there's that one guy who made a metroid 2 remake.
Also that one guy who made Axiom Verge, which us pretty much how modern 2d Metroid should be.
Hire them, let them do their thing.
>>
>>95348692
>Inside the other M, you have like a few storyboard sketches, which are probably the worst forms of concept art ever.
>Other M's concept art is shit
Except the whole point of your cherrypicking was to show how genuinely bad Other M's concept art supposedly is. Since you apparently missed the examples I provided that show that wasn't the case, here's another so-called piece of "shit" art.
>>
File: metroid_prime_2.png (2MB, 1525x886px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_prime_2.png
2MB, 1525x886px
>>95348824
To me the curved down visor in the image you showed conveys intimidation, strength, menace/malice, confidence.

Since you didn't come right out and say and are instead trying to make this a teachable moment I'm left to assume you feel that the "tooth gap" visor on the PED suit looks the opposite of that; more open, neutral, possibly vulnerable, or less conveying of emotion in general.

ASSUMING that:

While that's fair, it doesn't feel like as big of a deal as you made it out to be. Both the "classic" and "chipped tooth" visors look less curved down when they're facing the camera more head on. See attached for examples where I think MP2 suit conveys that same feeling.

I imagine the "chipped tooth" design of the Light Suit was to make it look less menacing, being a "good suit". And that the Power Suit sharing that design feature:
1) was meant to act as a point of similarity with the light suit, and
2) allowed the designers to, depending on camera positioning and character motion during cutscenes, make Samus herself look more or less intimidating, to
3) provide better tonal contrast between Samus and Dark Samus.
>>
>>95340965
Short shorts a la Villainous except space pirates and their wacky wacky science
>>
File: metroid_fusion.png (648KB, 1083x344px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_fusion.png
648KB, 1083x344px
>>95349021
And actually after thinking about it more, they did the same EXACT THING in Metroid Fusion.

SA-X has the menacing curved down visor, Samus has a chipped tooth visor that makes her look less menacing.

I'm convinced that in both games this was part of what drove them toward the visor designs. And given that based on camera or head angle they can still convey menace just fine with the MP2 suit, it seems to just make her more expressive. Camera above? samus intimidating. Camera below, walking forward? open and observing. Camera below, backing away? surprised or intimidated. Looking head on? Fairly neutral.

Honestly, seems fine.

of course you could have some completely different problem with it than what I just described but you didn't say it so, a s s u m p t i o n s
>>
>>95349021
>To me the curved down visor in the image you showed conveys intimidation, strength, menace/malice, confidence.
>Since you didn't come right out and say and are instead trying to make this a teachable moment I'm left to assume you feel that the "tooth gap" visor on the PED suit looks the opposite of that; more open, neutral, possibly vulnerable, or less conveying of emotion in general.
Correct. And I take that as proof that the artists at Retro Studios never really understood what made Samus' design so effective to begin with

>Both the "classic" and "chipped tooth" visors look less curved down when they're facing the camera more head on. See attached for examples where I think MP2 suit conveys that same feeling.
Mm, I disagree. Even when her helmet is angled downward, you're still aware of the "chipped tooth". To me, at least, it doesn't evoke the image "furrowed brow" that made the the classic Power/Varia suit visor seem tough and menacing.

>I imagine the "chipped tooth" design of the Light Suit was to make it look less menacing, being a "good suit". And that the Power Suit sharing that design feature:
1) was meant to act as a point of similarity with the light suit, and
2) allowed the designers to, depending on camera positioning and character motion during cutscenes, make Samus herself look more or less intimidating, to
3) provide better tonal contrast between Samus and Dark Samus.

Maybe. It could be just my strong bias in favor of the 2D games speaking, but I think it's as simple as they did it because they thought it looked cool. Unfortunately for me, most the internet agreed and now you can't even do an image search of Samus without the first few rows of results being littered with instances where that visor was used. And for someone like me who grew up idolizing the original games and the people who made them, that's just sad. To me it's immediately obvious why her visor was designed that way; changing it ruins the "badass" factor of her design
>>
>>95349121
Yeah, I know, I know... I figured you'd bring up the Fusion Suit. I guess the difference there, for me, lies in how that game was received vs. the Prime games, plus the fact that it never had a sequel. If there was ever a Fusion 2 and she still had that dopey looking helmet (maybe "dopey" is too strong a word--I do like the rest of the suit), I think I'd have a problem.

But on the other hand...

>I'm convinced that in both games this was part of what drove them toward the visor designs. And given that based on camera or head angle they can still convey menace just fine with the MP2 suit, it seems to just make her more expressive. Camera above? samus intimidating. Camera below, walking forward? open and observing. Camera below, backing away? surprised or intimidated. Looking head on? Fairly neutral.

You may have a point there. It would make sense to give Samus a more vulnerable look for Fusion--she quite literally is more vulnerable than she's been before, having to adjust to a new Power Suit and being on the run from the SA-X.
>>
File: metroid lore.png (37KB, 1310x330px) Image search: [Google]
metroid lore.png
37KB, 1310x330px
>>95341206
Because it is literally impossible for it to be canon.
>>
>>95346359
Executives are out of touch pricks who just know what you show them.

What are they going to do, google "Metroid"? Find a bunch of pictures of space rocks?

"This character is Metroid, he is an orange gun robot", you tell them that, they'll nod and go, "FUND IT, BOYS LOVE ORANGE ROBOTS NAMED AFTER ROCKS".
>>
>>95347115
I like this. I like this Samus very much. This is good characterization.
>>
File: bird parents.jpg (152KB, 900x783px) Image search: [Google]
bird parents.jpg
152KB, 900x783px
I'd take a SoL story about Samus being raised by Chozo. Seems like it could be fun.
>>
File: 1486230792343.jpg (12KB, 124x213px) Image search: [Google]
1486230792343.jpg
12KB, 124x213px
>>95350921
How come they never handed her over to the Galactic Federation after her colony was destroyed by Ridley and the Space Pirates? She couldn't survive on Zebes without enhancement correct?
>>
>>95349306
>>95349336
Fair points and I after thinking about it, even if it's not "because they thought it looked cool", it's still very reasonable to dislike "because it enables her to look more vulnerable".

I think it worked in-game because something like 30% into the game you transition to the Dark Suit, which lacks the "chipped tooth" and that probably makes the upgrade feel cooler/menacing/intimidating/good. Maybe they could have done something else instead with that first third, with either Samus in a slightly broken suit instead or (for the Nth time) in the depowered basic form Power Suit.

Thinking about it, the basic form Power Suit makes Samus look more vulnerable too- just by affecting silhouette, as opposed to visor.

I hate the basic form Power Suit silhouette a *thousand* times more than I dislike the chipped tooth visor. NEED those shoulder balls.
>>
>Metroid cartoon by the dudes who did Wakfu
>>
>>95352310
They met Samus as a child before the planet got wiped and one of the leader birds took a liking to her.
>>
>>95348580
>Super Metroid(SNES)
>but it was mostly just alluded to
u wot m8, did you never beat Super
>>
File: 1504661361754.png (124KB, 500x565px) Image search: [Google]
1504661361754.png
124KB, 500x565px
>>95340965
My dream is to somehow create a Metroid cartoon or at least a comic. I've been working on a comic and have the concepts and characters fleshed out. I just need to start working on story arcs now. I'm not sure if I want to start doing retellings of the actual games first, filling those in with my original arcs, or just do the original arcs first.

But yeah, Samurai Jack IN SPACE = perfect Metroid cartoon.

>>95341206
Oh, you. If only I knew the sweetness that must be the complete ignorance of everything about Other M.
>>
>>95341063
Castlevania was shit though
>>
>>95352752
What part of "MOSTLY" don't you understand anon
>>
>>95352310
>>95352660
Because she wanted them to train her to be a magic god-killing space badass.
>>
File: All_hunters.jpg (132KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
All_hunters.jpg
132KB, 800x600px
use these weirdos
>>
>still mad about Other M
I can comfortably say that I hate that abomination more than most, but honestly, I can't be arsed to get proper angry at it anymore. Time heals, Samus Returns is out, and Prime 4 is on the horizon. I got real Metroid games to think about now.

>>95350921
I admit, I'm a complete sucker for anything involving Samus growing up on Zebes. I would be 100% down with this.
>>
>>95353406
My problem with Nintendo regarding Metroid is that Sakamoto is still somehow in charge of the franchise, thus we still have to deal with his stupid fucking bullshit. He and Tanabe.
>>
File: 1425016931272.png (29KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1425016931272.png
29KB, 800x600px
>>95352895
Make sure you post it here if you do. I'd love to read a decent Metroid comic, and from the looks of it, others here would too. >>95347115
got some favorable replies.
>>
>>95353461
I was worried about that too, until I noticed he's only project "supervisor", which reeks of "do not fuck this up, or your ass is grass". So again, I can't get too mad since the fucker has a leash on him now.

Also, Samus Returns looks fucking great and has genuinely new and fresh ideas. Aieon Abilities are awesome, and I have no idea why the Phase Drift hasn't become a meme. Chozo tech is even more bullshit than we thought it was.
>>
>>95353667
Yeah, I'd definitely show my /co/mrades my work. /co/ has pretty good taste when it comes to vidya. This thread gets made semi-often.

My only real issue is finding an artist. I'm a poorfag and I don't have a ton of money laying around but I am saving up to hopefully find someone suitable for a commission. But my other issue is that it'd be more of a long-term project and I'm not sure if I could find anyone willing to draw a Metroid comic in the long run.

>>95353763
>Phase Drift
A-anon please don't spoil me. I've managed to avoid most of the spoilers for the game so far. Although I do know that Ridley comes back somehow despite the Space Pirates not being in any version of Metroid 2 and the Zero Suit having heels because OF COURSE IT DOES.

Also, my copy finally just came in so I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day.
>>
>>95341015
So a video can't ever get a series because it wouldn't be a video game anymore?
>>
>>95348435
Fuck you, that doesn't even make any sense
>>
>>95340965
If they approached it with the pacing of samurai jack then it would be great, but all anyone would ever actually make is some thing akin to the other M storyline which was garbage.
>>
>>95348382
I already did dumbass
>>
>>95354435
They already showed the Phase Drift in one of the trailers. It's an Aieon Ability that lets Samus stop time for a bit. Yes, really.
>>
>>95353193

>Weavel
Formerly a high-ranking Pirate officer, now reduced to a Robocop-esque figure. Passed off as a tool by his "handlers", despite still retaining all of his memories and cognitive functions, episodes where Weavel is in the spotlight will be split between his mission and his monologue, as he explores the inner turmoil of being a sapient being with no autonomy. An antagonist to be sure, but a secondary one, taking a backseat to the machinations of his Science Team handlers and fellow hunter Sylux.

>Trace
Heir to the throne of the Kriken Empire, and vanguard of their impending invasion of this galaxy, Trace serves as one of the two primary antagonists of the series. Episodes featuring Trace should have a very MGS-esque feel to them, blitzing back and forth between stealth and tactical-based direction, to wild action-filled romps as he and Samus duke it out for control of whatever the macguffin of the episode happens to be.

>Noxus
Sometimes an ally to Samus, sometimes an enemy, depending on the mission and the circumstances surrounding their crossing paths. Almost always appears alongside/against Samus in episodes where he is present, but In his rare solo episodes we're given insight into his life, motives, and the aspects of his people.

>Samus
Fucking obvious who Samus is and what she does. She goes on missions for the Federations, kill dudes, blows stuff up, recovers lost magitech artifacts, doesn't afraid of anything. Samus is our protagonist and 94% of episodes are focused primarily on her and her mission/battle against a rival hunter.
>>
>>95357968

>Kanden
With a limited exterior personality and few motivations beyond "kill smash destroy", Kanden is an infrequently appearing antagonist, and would likely serve more as a physical object that Samus has to overcome, than as an enemy she has to defeat, if that makes any sense. His rare appearances and even rarer solo episodes give us a look at his life before becoming a supersoldier experiment, and may also hint at a deeper, internal personality, along with the faint glimmer of hope that he might be able to return to normal.

>Sylux
A former Federation scientist, shamed, disgraced, and dishonourably discharged from service. Now serves as a semi-freelance agent begrudgingly allied with the Pirates to acquire funding and materials to further his research and experiments. Sylux serves as the second of the two primary antagonists of the series, and is frequently partnered with Weavel and/or a cadre of Pirate soldiers whenever he needs some muscle behind his schemes.

>Spire
On the trail to uncover what happened to the rest of his people. We're given bits and pieces of his story throughout episodes featuring him, eventually culminating in a two/three episode finale event wherein the history of his people is laid bare and he discovers their ultimate fate. Similar to Noxus, Trace can serve either as an ally or as an enemy to Samus, depending on the mission and circumstances surrounding their paths crossing.

One protagonist, two primary antagonists, two secondary antagonists, and two allies/tertiary antagonists.

I'm imagining two or three seasons, the majority of which would be slice-of-adventure but with an overarching seasonal plot that focuses on the tribulations of one or two non-Samus hunters.
>>
>>95348389
>>95348454
>Othe M
>canon
>>
>>95348488
>Caring about Metroid story is like caring about Kirby story.
>he's never played the Kirby games past 2011
>>
>>95348824
it curved downward because that represents vaginas, obviously
or maybe a penis
Chevrons are confusing, symbolically
>>
File: Samus approves.gif (3MB, 384x216px) Image search: [Google]
Samus approves.gif
3MB, 384x216px
>>95357968
>>95358001
>>
>>95353763
I wish everyone would fuck off with this 'z0MG keep Sakamoto AWAY FROM METRIOD" meme.

>I was worried about that too, until I noticed he's only project "supervisor", which reeks of "do not fuck this up, or your ass is grass". So again, I can't get too mad since the fucker has a leash on him now.
You really have no idea how post-Yamauchi Nintendo works if you think that's actually the case. Yoshio Sakamoto is still very much the showrunner of the series. He may not be directly involved with day-to-day production on spinoff titles like Federation Force or even Metroid Prime 4, but he absolutely is still in a position where he can exert his influence.

And that's fine! He made ONE bad Metroid game, and most of the game's problems are story-related. He wasn't as involved in the previous games' stories, and he could very well not be in the future.
>>
>>95359334
>one bad game

Fusion was just as bad, cakeboy.
>>
>>95359761
>Fusion
>bad
Anon, pls. Even if you didn't care for it, you can't in all seriousness claim Fusion was a bad game.

>linear
The idea that Metroid is non-linear is something of a myth. Even with sequence breaking, there's a clear order of progression.

>dialogue
Samus's monologues occur during breaks in the action where they aren't intrusive. Also, they're succinct, and Samus actually has things of substance to say.

If anything, one of the many reasons Other M sucks so hard is because it's a shit rehash of Fusion, and without the stuff that made it interesting. Pornstache man is no SA-X that's for damn sure. I dislike Sakamoto as much as anyone else, but I'll absolutely stick up for Fusion.
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.