[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

South Park Season 21

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

File: 0913-sketch1.jpg (78KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
0913-sketch1.jpg
78KB, 960x540px
Now that the dust has settled. What went wrong in the first episode of season 21? Personally, i thought Cartman acting as both the victim and abuser was pretty nice and even kind of deep.
>>
>>95339708
Background music is annoying
>>
File: Rekt ;_;.jpg (65KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Rekt ;_;.jpg
65KB, 1366x768px
I honestly liked the episode but I supposed I'll be in the minority
>>
So from what I gathered from the mainstream reviews for disliking the episode is that it didn't call the confederate flag supporters racist really
>>
>>95339708
>episode 1 has Randy just kicking the shit out of houses for like a full five minutes.

Excellent episode.
>>
>>95339716
I thought the video they uploaded to Hulu was just fucked up or maybe it was my sound or something, but the sound mixing was fucking off the charts for me. The ambience music kept blasting over dialogue.

Was it like that when it aired or is it just the Hulu video?
>>
>>95339730
What was the sum up of this plot? Was it commenting on people who'd rather go back to internet lives than work on real lives, or was it just Matt and Trey weaseling their way out of what they built in the previous season?
>>
>>95339708
>>95339730
>>95340396
I think this episode rather than concentrating on having a plot, it's rather concentrating on undoing everything the whole last season built as quickly as possible.
>>
First episodes are usually hit or miss so its got plenty chance to get better

We'll probably get a coon and friends episode so that should be good if it focuses just on them as kids being superheroes
>>
>>95340396
I think the joke was supposed to be that Darrell looks like he's getting mad at the world changing so quickly, but really is just jealous at watching people remodeling and knowing that he can't.
Also, do you guys think they're gonna have another season with an overarching plot or go back to episodic seasons with occasional 2 or 3 part episodes?
>>
>>95340577
They've said on multiple occasions they're done with the overarching plot
>>
>>95339716
It drowned out the dialogue in a lot of scenes. Pretty weird.
>>
>>95340522
Tweak and craig better still be together i swear to god.
>>
>>95339813
>mainstream

These are the same people who put out articles blasting season 20 for justifying trolls and giving them more power, and then celebrated this episode for lampooning the hicks with tiki torches (based on that single promo image.)
>>
>>95340355
Unfortunately so, you could tell that this episode was rushed out even more so than regular standards. I'd like to think that the south park video game had to do with that, as a person in that industry myself, I know teams will work on the game days before it launches.
>>
>>95340522
Somehow I don't think the Heidi/ Cartman stuff will just disappear, Even Mr Slave shows up from time to time after the break up.
>>
>>95339813
It didn't call them racist but kind of touched on a different issue completely. Basically...
>of course you don't have jobs; you're not college educated, and in todays time and in the future, truck driving and coal mining isn't gonna cut
>Even worse, for the jobs that are available for you, you snub your nose at them
That's what I got out of it anyway
>>
>>95339730
It wasn't terrible but I was promised "The boys go on an adventure" and instead it was another "Randy does something wacky" episode.

That said i loved Sharon's deadpan face the entire episode.
>>
I am currently remodeling my house. We had to jack up the wall to install a header beam to open the kitchen up to the living room. That part fucking killed me.
>>
>>95339708
It was okay, but I wouldn't call it a return to form from Season 20 just yet. The entire episode almost exclusively only focused on Cartman and Randy, with probably a combined total of 5 minutes of dialogue from characters aside from them. There weren't really many jokes besides "Cartman is immature and mentally fucked up" and "Randy is silly", which are jokes that have already been done to death. Sheila having a deadpan expression the entire episode was funny, and the rednecks genuinely doing their best to replace Alexa was funny, so at least they're still capable of making funny jokes/gags, but there was waaaay too much focus on Randy and Cartman. It felt weird that we didn't hear a word from the other three boys, and it definitely feels like they're just continuing the trend of "Randy is a main character on the same level as the boys".
Also, and this is more of a nitpick, are Alexas really that popular? It feels like an attempt to do a forced "CHARACTER REACTS TO NEW TECHNOLOGY" thing, but it's not really new. Same with the Confederate flag, that hasn't been a hot issue for months, it feels like it was just an excuse to include Le Turkey Jerbs.
6/10.
>>
>>95339708
awful season opener
>>
>>95339708
>Cartman acting as both the victim and abuser was pretty nice and even kind of deep.
That was pretty great. I really like heidi and cartman together but it was obvious that the relationship wouldn't last. I do hope that heidi isn't completely out of the picture now though.
>>
>>95339708
It wasn't funny nor was there really a point to it. All the references were very dated. Home renovating shows have existed forever and Alexa came out years ago. Charlottesville was a few weeks ago and the reference to it fell flat.

Combine this with their promise to focus on the kids rather than politics and people who were expecting the old South Park got disappointed.
>>
I thought it was gonna be an episode bitching about confederate flags and unemployed white people but they subverted my expectations in the end. So pretty weak episode overall but still less disappointing than what I expected after season 20.
>>
>>95339708
Should've just focused just on the Cartman plot. The randy plot didn't seem like they fully thought it out, and the cartman plot felt underdeveloped because of the wasted time.
>>
>>95339708
Heidi getting hurt is what went wrong.
>>
I think Matt and Trey didn't know what they wanted to do with the Darrel plot themselves.
>>
>>95339708
The episode wasn't great. The renovating metaphor was bit above my head. Something about change is hard. I dunno.

I'm glad they ended the Cartman love story. That was one of the worst parts of season 20. Bit how they ended it was also lame. They should have ended it off screen and don't waste our time.

The only bit that was a bit funny was the alexa jobs for rednecks idea.
>>
>>95339708
The renovating reference was a bit shit, but I liked the Randy story basically pointing out that if the people who go on about "taking our jobs" actually did some of the jobs that were "being taken" they'd feel degraded. There's a reason those jobs aren't taken by Americans. I also liked the line where Randy said about how old fashioned jobs like Coal mining aren't going to be the future, no matter how bad you want them back, and that people really should get on the fucking program about that instead of wondering why their profession is becoming ever more obsolete. I also liked that Randy pointed out that every time someone waves around a Confederate Flag, it just makes white people look stupid, because of the pop culture link to inbred hicks. I didn't get the whole reference to Alexa and Siri and stuff though, unless I've missed out on some recent tasty banter surrounding them, it just seemed like an odd choice that didn't really work well for their metaphor, or lead to anything amusing.

Easily one of their shittier episodes, really odd choice for a series opener.
>>
File: South Park Confederate.jpg (67KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
South Park Confederate.jpg
67KB, 960x540px
>>95348666
I wish it were, Satan, if only to rustle Trump turbo-weenies who can't deal with any criticism of either their side of politics, or their dear leader in any kind of mature way. You know, the kind who laugh about how Liberals can't take a joke, but whine whenever The Donald is mocked? Those people

I'm a Trump supporter myself, I just like watching people get mad over inconsequential shit
>>
>>95350939
I think it was just an attempt to tie the two plot lines together at the end, since the Alexa thing was more relevant to Cartman's storyline by giving him a completely submissive girlfriend surrogate who made Heidi look "abusive" by comparison.
>>
>>95339708
None of the ideas added up, Matt and Trey could've very easily made fun of Charlottesville, but they chose the wrong angle to go in with. Alexa was the thing that made this episode not work. Cartman and Heidi are having troubles in their relationship but we don't really see enough of that to *get* it. Randy's whole thing didn't really make much sense in context either. It was a bunch of ideas that probably could've been funny on their own, but did not mesh well together.
>>
>>95339730
I liked the rednecks becoming Alexas. I wished there was more scenes of that. It was good enough episode for me.
>>
>>95340396
I partly took it as a comment on all those factory workers, coal miners and stuff who voted based on a promise their jobs would come back, but most of those jobs are obsolete and never returning. Plus some stuff about immigration/knocking down walls. Their main issue is they did a half assed comment on the political situation without mentioning Trump (because they completely fucked it up last season) and it ended up not working.
>>
>>95351121
I personally think they could have gotten some mileage out of the fact that perfectly rational people on the right have tacitly sided with literal Neo-Nazis after Charlottesville simply because their beliefs about things such as free speech, and the subject of confederate statues overlap.

I mean, jokes about how people have to keep proclaiming that they aren't Nazis just because they happen to be siding with Nazis write themselves.

Have the B plot be PC Principal or Randy be on the denial train about the violence of Antifa

Charlottesville is kind of done and dusted now, so it seems odd to touch on it, but if they were going to, they should have gone all in.
>>
>>95351259
>seems odd to touch on it, but if they were going to, they should have gone all in
I can see that being the big issue this season. They went all in on politics last season and it was a mistake. This season to compensate they'll probably be too light to please anyone, or even be that funny. At least when looking at current events.
>>
>>95351328
Their mistake was in assuming that Trump wouldn't become the Republican nominee, and trying to get their quick dig in by making Mr. Garrison their stand in 2 seasons ago. They wrote themselves into a corner there when he actually went and did it, the absolute madman. Then they wrote themselves into an even bigger corner by assuming that Hillary Clinton would win. I think it's pretty obvious the whole Troll hunter thing in Sweeden was building up to some big riff on Clinton's emails, given that they were literally banging on about how the people of the world would have nowhere to hide on their computers. But once again, Madman Trump went and did the thing, so their entire plot line sort of collapsed and fell apart.
>>
>>95341024
Agreed, boy love is the purest form of love.
>>
They were too soft
>>
>>95341024
>>95351964
Their together in the game, so probably. Speaking of that means we'll probably get another Black Friday/A Song of Ass and Fire type episode (I hope).
>>
>>95352024
I don't. They've done that joke, it's over.

South Park is always at its weakest when it relies too heavily on previously used jokes. Take this weeks episode, for example. All it really was, was another rendition of "Terk er jerbs" which is funny, and a fantastic send up, and there's nothing wrong with doing a callback and all, but not for an entire episode.
>>
>>95339716
In the talkback thread people said when Randy told one of the hillbillies to turn the volume down the BGM actually softened. It might have been a long joke.
>>
File: 1505171227503.jpg (61KB, 320x568px) Image search: [Google]
1505171227503.jpg
61KB, 320x568px
>>95351012
>expecting trump supporters to take criticism when the other side refuses to as well
>>
File: 22.jpg (186KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
186KB, 1200x800px
>>95353505
I'm shakin in my boots
>>
>>95354202
me in the center
>>
I thought it was boring. Not overtly political, just boring.
>>
>>95343747
>hey daryl what kinda job did you think you were gonna get
Randy was very clearly meant to come across as a total asshole there. The ending of the episode was a joke edning so it wouldn't become a season plot and instead they can do episodic stuff.
>>
I took the whole "remodelling/durka-dur!" thing as a metaphor for how the world is changing, and some people can change, and some people, like Darryl, can't.

But you can always jack up the wall with a header beam and knock through the kitchen and living room. Because you can always change, it's just harder.
>>
>>95356051

I think the ending was more of a deliberate deconstruction of the "changing your house = changing yourself" analogy.

Randy's conversation with him was incredibly blatant in setting up the analogy and the idea that the very thing people like Darryl need to change in order to improve their lot in the modern world is like a load-bearing wall, and that they can't just "knock through" and transition into a new version of themselves with an open concept and space to entertain without having to rebuild their whole life and sense of self from the foundations. And then Randy demolishes the whole analogy by offering a simple, easy solution to the literal problem (renovation of a load-bearing wall) that has no analogue in the much more complex problem problem it's a metaphor for (changing your entire way of life to move with the times).

The gung-ho "and then Randy fixes everything perfectly" demolition sequence lifted straight from any one of those interchangeable home improvement shows capped off with "And $600 under budget!" is mocking the idea that there's a single simple solution or even explanation for people in Darryl's situation, and the fact it uses home renovation as its motif for that might also be suggesting that simple solutions and explanations like that are used by white middle-class suburbanites - their target audience - in order to ignore the complexities of the problem. .
>>
>>95355280
I don't think he was meant to be an asshole at all. He was just being realistic. This is what you've asked for, i.e. the "jerbs" that got "terk" back. Don't whine that they're shit jobs when you finally get them.
>>
>>95339708

god that cartman is so fucking funny
>>
>>95353123
That's pretry funny. Hope it was only one episode.
>>
>>95339708
>What went wrong
Not having a coherent plot

>>95351121
This. Couldn't help but think of a potentially hilarious episode about Randy breaking walls, confederate flags and some particular wall from the election campaign.
>>
File: Large teeth.jpg (67KB, 330x559px) Image search: [Google]
Large teeth.jpg
67KB, 330x559px
>>95353505
You can't have spoken to many left wing people if you think that they haven't done some introspective thought with regards to criticism in US politics. Try actually speaking to left wing people and not basing your views on the incredibly skewed view /pol/ trots out and you'd know that.

There's a reason why people on the left are waking up to what people like Chapo Trap House have been saying about Hillary all along. It's because they did lose, and they're realising why. Pointing to the people who are "still with her" and thinking they represent the left in any way shape or form is reductive as hell my friend.

See also: Antifa. There's a mad schism on the left with regards to the moral righteousness of them.

After Brexit and Trump the left have been rebuilding. There's a reason the Conservatives in Britain fucked their majority away.

But by all means, excuse away your thin skinned whining every time daddy Trump gets mocked, and pretend it's because of the left, and not because you're a little fucking bitch who can't take what you dish out mate. It's what Trumpettes do best.
>>
KYMAN WHEN
>>
>>95359161
thats usually the case since they make random shit for an episode in a week
>>
>>95357485

This.

The whole thing was kind of related to the whole white nationalist fervor that's been gaining traction in the US as white blue collar workers are losing jobs, seeing a changing socio-political system, and having an existential crisis because everything is changing and they feel it's the result of certain institutions (modernists, black people, latinos, Muslims and those sympathetic to them) that want to see them and their way of life wiped out.

But rather than sit down and have the hard discussion about dealing with the changes or make the hard changes needed to keep up with the change it's easier to point out that the people asking you to talk/change are abusing and victimizing you.

And it can be harder for others to feel sympathetic for you as an abused victim when you were pretty much at the top.
>>
I think the Alexa thing felt incomplete because it was - automation and digital solipsism are going to be recurring elements like ads and gentrification, and this was just their setup while the terk er jerbs message commenting on the whole "economic anxiety or racism or both or what?" issue was the main point of the episode individually.
>>
>>95359330
There's a trick: they usually make some random shit work in stupid, but hilarious ways. Have been rewatching some old episodes: a story about making a business out of crack-addicted babies basketball (while also finding out that Slash isn't real) sounds like complete bullshit, but somehow they made a story out of it. Feels like they lost this storymaking ability with all this serialization stuff.
>>
>>95358868
No, he was definitely being an asshole, and Daryl had a good comeback: it's not just the decent-paying industrial jerbs that are going, AI's starting to take white-collar jerbs.

Watch, next episode or later in the season, AI will cost Randy his job. Alexa (or some parody AI box) will tell people how to fix their houses up, so they'll stop watching the show.

And it's a fair point that service industry jerbs are more demeaning. There's dignity in providing for society's basic needs, that isn't in catering to individual whims.
>>
>>95359256
>#NotallLiberals
>>
>>95359384
>you were pretty much at the top

>truckers
>coal miners
>pretty much at the top
They worked so hard for the promise that they'd share in the prosperity they were building, just to see the borders torn down by rich scumbags so they could fight foreigners for scraps in the land their fathers built.
>>
>>95359384
>truckers
>coal miners
>farmers
Yeah, really at the top there buddy. Maybe to the average millennial who makes less than 20K a year and has to compete with Pako for scraps.
>>
>>95339708
>what went wrong?
It wasn't funny
>>
>>95348806
Too true.

the only tie in they used to link the plots together were the Elexa devices but you could have had Elexa with addressing Randy's plot and still make it work.

I figure they will still bring certain things they like from episode to episode much like season 19 so they will probably either do something with the break up as a future plot device somewhere down the road.
>>
>>95349393
Played it too safe. They didn't want to address Antifa, the alt right or Trump.
>>
>>95351259
Sounds exactly like the episode Chef goes Nanners.

Seems like it's hard to make new plots when the real world is stuck repeating itself.
>>
>>95361275

there's a job position near me that's offering like 70k a year for trucking, in the midwest that's good money
>>
>>95339730
Cartman thinking his girlfriends attempts to communicate better was abuse made me laugh, even if it was just tidying up loose ends.
>>
>>95339708
A mixed bag.

The opening with the boys using Alexa to say dirty words was refreshing. Then Cartman's girlfriend showing up and him treating her with total disinterest felt right to me. I don't know if it was meant this way but I took it as... Oh you're still here. A plot from last year. I thought we were done with that.

I was a little disappointed it focused so much on Cartman and Randy, great characters both but will the classic four ever do anything together again?

Not to mention I thought they were going to stop trying to be so topical. Episode 1: Charlottesville. Ok, I liked the subversion that it was more about feeling liek technology was replacing them and that for Darrell it was really about feeling self conscious about his house but whatever. It's not like I've got anything else going on. i'll keep watching.
>>
>>95365712
It was meant that way.
>>
>>95349531
>cartman love story
>That was one of the worst parts of season 20

There were a lot of things far worse about Season 20.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.