[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archie Capeshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: TheMightyCrusaders1.jpg (267KB, 864x1328px) Image search: [Google]
TheMightyCrusaders1.jpg
267KB, 864x1328px
What is it about Archie's superheroes that just won't sell no matter how much they're pushed? Even DC tried it twice with their Impact and Red Circle line and neither worked.
>>
>>95337548
Who's the animal girl in front?
>>
>>95337621

Jaguar

>>95337548

They honestly never had much mass market punch in the first place. Their big period was under MLJ up until Archie was created, at which point the superhero wave was already dying down and they increasingly became phased out for teen humor. Then they tried the 1950s/60s revival which was also pretty marginal (with only two titles running for more than 10 issues, those being Fly and Jaguar). Then it's been short-lived reboot after short-lived reboot. I think they just don't have enough of a foundation in the fandom to stick.
>>
File: Crusaders_Vol_1_1.jpg (92KB, 400x615px) Image search: [Google]
Crusaders_Vol_1_1.jpg
92KB, 400x615px
>>95337666
I really liked the Impact! run back in the day.
I was a sucker for not-Big Two even as a kid though.
>>
>>95337666
Satan's mostly right, the characters are pretty vanilla and not terribly unique. However, that's only half the problem, the other half is that you need someone truly passionate about these characters or someone with an interesting enough idea for them. Combine that with some actually non-generic art and the characters could take off. I feel like the first Dark Circle wave of books was a good start, unfortunately it wasn't advertised enough and the books themselves were simply not that good.
>>
>>95338210

I kinda liked !mpact but it was a very very big departure from the "classic" version of the MLJ/Archie supers. Which might actualy be a good thing.

>>95339416

Yeah, and it also feels Archie doesn't particularly care. Flynn seems to like the characters enough to try two versions of them, of which he first one (New Crusaders) was the best, but was canceled before even the promised 12 issue arc was finished. So a combination of marginal mass market appeal and an apathetic publisher = books don't last.
>>
>>95338210
Impact holds up.

For a line made for young readers, it's surprisingly nuanced and complex
>>
>>95337666
Does Jaguar do anything erotic?
>>
>>95337548
They're not very good characters for mass-market appeal. All popular superheroes are either awe-inspiring and inspirational (like Wondy, Spider-Man, Superman and Captain America) or dark and edgy (like Batman, Spawn, Punisher, Wolverine) or at the VERY LEAST go on mindblowing and fantastical adventures (like Green Lanterns, Fantastic Four, Dr Strange).

None of the above really applies to Archie heroes. They're not cool and edgy, they're not inspirational, and their stories are pretty vanilla. Only Shield (who's way too much like Cap) and Black Hood have anything going for them in that department, most others are just people who punch bad guys.
>>
>>95337548
I liked Gray Morrow's Black Hood.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.