[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Dinosaur

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: 11204185-9674425774614484.jpg (92KB, 677x960px) Image search: [Google]
11204185-9674425774614484.jpg
92KB, 677x960px
is it really that bad?
>>
>>95334698
seeing as how our 2017 lineup includes: surf's up 2, baby boss, smurfs 4, cars 3, son of bigfoot, it can't be bad if only by comparison
>>
It's mediocre really. Not that bad though...
>>
>>95334912
Don't forget about Coco.
>>
File: emoji-movie-poster.jpg (89KB, 648x960px) Image search: [Google]
emoji-movie-poster.jpg
89KB, 648x960px
>>95334912
>not including the terror
>>
>>95334921
This. The only thing impressive about this film was the animation (which was fucking amazing). Everything else about the film was pretty solidly forgettable.
>>
>>95334956
Don't badmouth the best movie of summer 2017.
>>
>>95334698
It had a couple of good scenes and good visuals which is typical of Pixar but everything else just seemed like a really toyetic concept of "cowboy world but with dinosaurs" that never really found its footing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DKX28PZIAM
This is still a really great villain introduction though.
>>
>>95334698
No. My younger sister loved it. I thought it was alright.
>>
>>95334698
No, man. It was good, it is even in the title, anon, come on.
>>
>>95335507

suuuure, title reflects quality
>>
>>95334698

it was actually pretty good, but unfortunately when compared to the likes of Zootopia and Wrek it Ralph it comes up short.

I actually really liked it.
>>
>>95335914
yeah, these two are great pixar movies, you can feel it.
>>
>>95334698

Animation was out of this world perfect.
>>
>>95334698
It was okay. Dinosaur design sucked and the plot was ripped from the kind of books/movies your grandparents probably saw all the time when they were young.
>>
>>95335602
But that was epic.
Epic FAIL
lol
>>
should've been a loli cave girl
then at least you would sastify tumblr and the waifufags
>>
>>95334698
It's not bad. It even has a few good moments. But it's something we've all seen before. It has the heart, but not the wit and cleverness we've come to expect from Pixar. It suffers in the same way a lot of recent superhero movies have, which is to rely on the bombast of big set pieces rather than an inventive and satisfying conclusion.

It's narratively lazy. All of the effort went into making the backdrops, which is why it felt like a tech demo for the majority of the movie.
>>
>>95334698
Boring but not bad
>>
File: 1467839835640.png (196KB, 342x359px) Image search: [Google]
1467839835640.png
196KB, 342x359px
>>95334698
>is it really that bad?

You look at the bad reviews for this film and what do you see? People pissed off the dad died; seeing it as "too traumatic" for a kids movie. Fuck this coddling, safe space society.
They also didn't like that the kid was basically an animal/dog and the Dinosaur was the actual character. Well sorry this movies wasn't paint-by-numbers enough for you, I liked that twist on the trope though. Would have been so boring the other way around.

So many people dismissed this movie as terrible. It was mediocre, maybe just above. Definitely watchable, once. We live in the same world as the Emoji movie and the Trolls movie. Get some perspective on what terrible actually is.
>>
That sequence near the end where he hallucinates seeing his dad, and his dad is just like "son, you're me, and more" straight up made me shed a tear. I tried to fight it, but for some reason that scene really hit me like emotional truck.
>>
>>95334698
Not bad....but definitely not good either.

Overall it's just really boring with little to nothing actually happening in the whole damn thing. Whole movie is uneventful and there is hardly a story in there at all. The whole
>world where dinosaurs never went extinct
tag line can be dropped and no aspect of the movie would be any different for it.

Plus the movie only really having one character talking through 90% of it makes it just dull to watch.

And this was from the same studio that had ten times more drama and character development in the silent first 15 minutes of Up than every other movie that came out that year.
>>
>>95334698
Had Sam Elliot as a cowboy T-Rex, you tell me.
>>
>>95337528
>People pissed off the dad died; seeing it as "too traumatic" for a kids movie.

Remember when animated kids films about dinosaurs involved MC's mother getting killed by a prehistoric serial killer that then spends most of the rest of the movie by stalking MC and his pals? Good times.
>>
Okay, you know those shitty anime recap movies that try to compress a 13 episode anime into an hour long movie? That's what this felt like.

It's as if The Good Dinosaur were originally a TV series that was adapted into a movie. The movie staff went through the series and made a list of shit from the show they felt they needed to work in. "You know that episode about the tree druid dinosaur? We obviously don't have time to adapt it, but he's too cool to leave out. Let's just toss in a scene that captures the essence of the episode" or "The arc with with the cowboy dinosaurs was the best part of the series. If we rush it enough, we might be able to compress it all into 15 minutes and still have time for the campfire scene". That's what the whole movie was like, except there was no TV series. It's just a bunch of loose ideas stitched together with no regard for pacing or story progression.

I remember one common complaint when the movie was released was about how the main character hurt his leg, healed, then hurt it again a few scenes later. That's the best example of how little this movie cares about which order any of the scenes go in. The dinosaur and the kid's relationship was the same way, despite being the focus of the movie (when the writers felt like it was the focus of the movie, anyway). Instead of feeling like they were slowly growing closer over the course of the film, it usually felt like they had bonded until the script required the dinosaur to be angry at the boy again so they could do another bonding scene.

No, this wasn't a "not bad but also not good" movie, this was a bad movie with a handful of good scenes that stop being good in context.
>>
>>95334912
Don't forget pony.
>>
File: mstsimpsons.jpg (12KB, 320x245px) Image search: [Google]
mstsimpsons.jpg
12KB, 320x245px
This was the first thing from Pixar that looked very half assed.

The designs were lazy, the characters were not interesting, they storyline was incredibly simple, nothing about it showed that anyone did any real work.

Everything looks like it was just slapped on by people that did not give a shit and everything was just a series of
>that's fine
>that'll do
>fuck it add that in
>who cares if it makes sense
>>
>>95339399
>This was the first thing from Pixar that looked very half assed.
Did you not pay attention to the backgrounds, incredibly detailed, sometimes they looked just as good as photographs.
Yeah character design needs work but the film doesn't look half-assed
>>
>>95341240
Realistic backgrounds are entry level

First year students can churn out detailed backgrounds. That means nothing if it does not move.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 500x208px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 500x208px
>>95341604
Photo-realistic not just nice looking, like so realistic it looks like they just animated the characters over real film.

Saw it on blu-ray and thought it was one of the nicest looking cgi films I've ever seen. Not good but it was pure eye-candy.
>>
Its mediocre
>>
>>95334698
It was good and has some REALLY good scenes - the dinosaur BITES OFF PART OF PTERO'S WING
>>
>>95337528
Troll movie get 7/10 from me. Great visuals and solid story.
>>
>>95344091

brutality seems to be director's favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DmLkugdh9s
>>
>>95341240
Who the fuck goes to a movie to look at backgrounds?
>>
>>95344365
I didn't go to see it I rented it when it came out.
Wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't Pixar, I payed attention to the background because unlike 90% percent of this board I actually give a fuck about the medium and enjoy the actual technical skill that goes into films.
>>
>>95344365

"Soup doesn't taste too well, but look at the bowl. It's a really nice bowl".
>>
>>95334698
It alright. I thought the world building, what little they had, was great. I wanted more on the world, not a generic if decent boy and his dog story.
>>
It wasn't bad so much as it just wasn't good.
>>
File: dinosaur.jpg (445KB, 1000x1409px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaur.jpg
445KB, 1000x1409px
>>95334698
What if in a parralel universe Pixar made this dinosaur film instead but with all the advancement in CGI and updated info on dinosaurs they had when making a good dinosaur? Because personally I think Dinosaur is a better film than the Good dinosaur
>>
It's a poorly written movie. Easy to follow, just not very engaging. Beautiful as fuck though. Like fuck, the environments were orgasmic. Liked that the characters would get bruises and scrapes too. Feels like this was just done to fulfill some tech guy's dreams.
>>
>>95337528
>You look at the bad reviews for this film and what do you see? People pissed off the dad died; seeing it as "too traumatic" for a kids movie. Fuck this coddling, safe space society.

AND YET 1001 /co/ threads exist entirely to show some cartoon scene far less shocking than a death and scream ZOMG, HOW DID THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS? Where "this" is always some mildly violent or sexy thing that you nevertheless think moms would shit themselves over.

Maybe it's just a naïve attempt to have something exciting to talk about, but we're doing a lot to SPREAD the idea that cartoons we like are full of objectionable stuff.
>>
yeah it was awful
>>
>>95334698

It's not terrible but you can tell that they had a lot of ideas for the first half of the film with no idea where to go from there. So a big chunk of the film is world-building and then it just winds up becoming a generic boy and his dog film from there on out.
>>
>>95348419

I'm starting to loathe this kind of screenwriting
>>
>>95338915
But that will be good.
>>
>>95335234
only good thing about the movie and he is barely in it
>>
It's not a masterpiece but it is underrated. Was way better than Inside Out.
>>
>>95337528
>muh overprotective parenting
There were a couple of clickbait articles but I really doubt that was a major issue.

>I liked that twist on the trope though. Would have been so boring the other way around.
And it was still boring that way.
>>
>>95334698
Wasted potential. Gorgeous scenery, but the dinosaurs look like a Gary Larson cartoon, and they set up a perfect ending only to make it as boring as possible.
>>
>>95334698
Go watch some interviews with the director.
The guy has no backbone and makes it seem like he had no control over his own film, placating his teams every whim.
>>
it was good, very earnestly emotional which edgy 20-somethings can't appreciate
>>
>>95334698
Good tech demo
>>
>>95349325
Oh fuck off. I'm a crier but this movie was too predictable and impersonnal for it to have any real emotional impact. When every emotional beat feels like it was part of a checklist, it rings hollow.
It's not like it's the only Pixar movie that tries to hit you in the feels either.
>>
>>95334698
Had the Western theme been central to the story then maybe there could have been some cohesion to a rather patchwork story.

Like Starcraft 2
>>
>>95349369
when the dinosaur was lost and rambling to keep himself calm, that felt like something a kid would genuinely do to me, don't see how you can say that's off a checklist
>>
>>95349414
I feel like I've seen that a lot before, but no, I don't have any example in mind.
See you call the main character "the dinosaur", how genuinely emotionally invested can you be when the protag is so bland nobody cares to even remember his name.
>>
There were lots of really really good, even great, moments but little to no cohesion between any of them.
>>
>>95338895
That is a perfect description of it
>>
>>95349369

Inside out was for me an order: "feel, dammit, feel!".

Such forgettable movie.
>>
Dinosaurs are an evolved species, with domestic animals and social structure. Humans are essentially wild dogs. So who wears a grass skirt and who walks around naked?

This movie was insufferably dumb. How do you fuck up My Pet Dinosaur? What kid wants to be the pet, and have a plodding brontosaurus tell them when to shit on the paper? Lazy, stupid movie.
>>
Pixar hasn't made a good film since 2009.
>>
>>95341240
He was talking about everything but the animation you dumbfuck
>>
>>95351115
This. UP was their last 'truly great overall' film. Everything went to shit in 2006 though when cars came out and I didn't think Toy Story 3 and Wall E were as good as everyone else did.
>>
File: face of max.png (309KB, 402x411px) Image search: [Google]
face of max.png
309KB, 402x411px
>>95334698
>Let's make a movie where the meteor misses earth
>Let's also have it still take place in prehistoric times
One of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen desu
>>
>>95335117
Ok Jacksfilms
>>
>>95334698
big brain human behave like a dog .
>>
File: wdas.png (1023KB, 1170x954px) Image search: [Google]
wdas.png
1023KB, 1170x954px
>>95351270

meanwhile their "partner" studio is getting the longer end of the stick.
>>
>>95346375
Dinosaur would be better without talking, actually most dinosaur movies would be better without talking.
>>
>>95352441
I dont trust this considering frozen is tied with tangled and bust-it bill when its clearly inferior
>>
>>95346438
>>95349299
>>95349462
Good Dinosaur turned out so bland because of a directorial change (It was originally by Bob Peterson, the story guy that voiced Mr. Ray and Roz) mostly resulting from how they could never get a solid third act assembled for the original story.

Original version had a larger community of dinosaur farmers of different species with an Amish culture and Arlo was a teen more interested in studying "bugs" (humans) and wanting to explore the world outside the commune.
>>
>>95353634

oh boy, more of these "kid rebels against parents"
it's like every disney princess movie, but with dinosaur.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.