[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Find the Bad in something Good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3191.jpg (449KB, 1035x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3191.jpg
449KB, 1035x1600px
Let's play a game. Find a Flaw in a series or story or something that You Love. Not just nitpicking, but an actual point you feel could have been done better. I'll start.

I feel like it should have been Phoney here make the desperate attack against the Locust's minion. It would have been a better resolution to his character Arc. I know that he still sorta proved himself when he came back with reinforcements instead of running away, but I feel like that was too easy of a solution for him, and rather anticlimactic considering that they didn't really help all that much. Yes I understand why they had Lucius do it, with his whole " my trust in Rose's sister got people killed so I'm guilty and need to atone" schtick, but I feel that Phoney's character Arc should have taken priority
For a majority of the series, Lucius was a rather static character, with little internal conflict; he was unchanging as he had already become the man he was meant to be, he was at the end of his story. Even the reveal of his former position as a royal gaurdsman felt more like backstory than it did a conflict introduction.
Meanwhile, Phoney was a more dynamic character, with conflict of struggling between his better and worse halves. His greed, self interest, and cowardice fighting with his caution, compassion for his family, and (weak but still present) moral compass. The series started with him mostly giving into his Darker half, but as time went on, his good side accumulated more influence and exposure, such as at the End of the Dragon Hunter Arc. Phoney Risking his life and safety to stop the Sister whose name I forget from killing Rose would have shown that
A. Despite his abrasiveness, Rose and the Others had become like family to him and
B. When push comes to shove, Phoney Bones not as much of an utter bastard as everyone, including himself, thinks he is.

It would have worked better even if he had survived the lightning, becuase what matters is that he was willing to sacrifice himself
>>
I think they key with these sort of threads is making the OP short and sweet
This one's pretty specific, people will be drawn to teh topic you're talking about rather than the game you're trying to play
>>
>>95331791
I thought if I put it in the topic, it would get the point across. Perhaps I should have put mine in a separate post?
>>
>>95330950
I think that the only character who was supposed to grow was Thorn, the Bone cousins are cartoony characters and as such they are stereotypes, they don't grow, in fact at the end of the story they are more or less the same as in the beginning, that's why the story ends with them traveling again like in the start of the series.
I may be wrong, but I think that Jeff Smith himself said something about the fact that they are the only element of the story that doesn't change.
>>
>>95333187
Really? It didn't feel like that. It seemed like Fone Started out a kind bookish and nerdy guy who only read stories of adventure, but grew tougher and more adventurous, or less squeamish about danger, as the story went on, and Smiley seemed to be Scatterbrained and in-his-own-world but grew slightly more focused and involved in the events unfolding around him, especially when Bartleby got involved. Those responses could just be attributed to the rising stakes though. Or to me looking for things where none exist.
>>
File: IMG_3032.jpg (166KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3032.jpg
166KB, 960x1440px
>>95330950
They took way to long to Give Gwen magic. They gave her the actual spellbook in like season three, and it took even longer for her to be able to use magic enough to help out. Now, to their credit, the writers did their best to keep Gwen useful, but lets be honest, there's not many ways you can keep a regular 10 year old girl on par with a former Not!X-COM agent and someone who can transform into a bunch of powerful aliens. A lot of Her helpful moments ended up being really contrived. The dumbest way she saved the day I believe was in the Lucky Girl episode, where after she lost the luck charm she Threw a rock from like 50 yards away, at this spindly ass dude floating In the air, and hit him, not once but TWICE dead center In the forehead. While she didn't have her OP pls nerf luck charm. Against a guy who did. Now that is just ridiculous.
>>
File: ThePunisher12_16.jpg (466KB, 1280x2045px) Image search: [Google]
ThePunisher12_16.jpg
466KB, 1280x2045px
Garth Ennis in general can get very preachy.
I think he's a good writer, but he really needs to tone down pushing his personal likes and dislikes. Or at least be subtler about it.
>>
>>95334842
Maybe I'm just stupid, but i'm not seeing anything particularly preachy or agenda pushy here, except for how the Black guys is litterally a gorilla whose mouth doesn't change from the slightly open "duurrrr" face he's got going on.
>>
>>95330950
Can't let a good thread die. Up you go.
>>
File: CP10_11_en.jpg (261KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
CP10_11_en.jpg
261KB, 590x400px
>>95330950
As much as I love Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's treasure, Prof. Tournesol/Calculus really rubs me the wrong way. He never really seems to fit with the rest of the main cast, and he keeps shifting between relatively unfunny comic relief and lengthy exposition.
>>
File: J'onnJ'obzz.jpg (59KB, 725x550px) Image search: [Google]
J'onnJ'obzz.jpg
59KB, 725x550px
Pic related. J'onn jobbed way too much. They made him cooler toward the end of JL and in JLU, but you can still count on one hand the number of times he managed to successfully mindfuck somebody.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.