[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amazing Spider-man #32 Storytime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 28

Slott has never written a compelling Norman Osborn until now.
>>
>>95315195
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Have a Bump Anon!
>>
>>
>>
So I haven't read any Spider-Man stuff since before Spider-Island started. Anything worth picking up? I've been very curious in Deadpool/Spider-Man by Joe Kelly. Seems to be the only mildly decent Spider related thing on the market at the moment.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>95315369
Kelly's Spider-man/Deadpool is great and well worth reading. If you miss PeterxMJ or want an MC2 Spider-girl-ish book, then check out Renew Your Vows.

Other than those two, it all ranges from bad to OK. The recent Carnage ongoing by Conway was also great.
>>
>>95315195
Thanks Anon, I was the OP of the other thread. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks about it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>95315369
ASM has been really hit or miss, depending on your tastes.

Some titles I enjoyed
>Scarlet Spider vol 2
>Renew Your Vows vol 2
>Spider-Man/Deadpool (only the Kelly McGuinness issues)
>Superior Team-Up
>Superior Foes of Spider-Man
>Spider-Gwen
>Edge of Spider-Verse
>>
>>
>>
And that's it. Next issue starts up the Legacy arc about "The Fall of Peter Parker."

Also if you're wondering how/when this Osborn plot will be followed up on, well:
>Osborn is on the hunt for some way to gain his insanity and super-powers back
>the solicit for this issue said it was setting up the 2018 Spider-man event
>its been all but confirmed that the 2018 Spider-man event is Maximum Carnage II

Draw your own conclusions from that.
>>
>>95315487
>>95315497
rekt
>>
>>95315497
poor normie
>>
>>95315423

>If you miss PeterxMJ

Is my taste wrong if I always preferred PeterxFelicia? I was never a fan of MJ much. I've heard good things about both Carnage and Hobgoblin's series so I'll check out those.
>>
>>95315487
>>95315497
If only the monks that taught Doctor Doom had done the same thing.
>>
This was an interesting romp and a nice way to get Osborn back on track. I don't like the bait & switch, but I really don't think wizard goblin would have worked long term.
>>
>>95315435
Really enjoyed this page
>>
>>95315555
>I always preferred PeterxFelicia
Me too. Nothing wrong with that, MJ just always came across as prickly and awful, I never understood her appeal.
>>
>>95315584
>I never understood her appeal
She's a literal super model. That's her appeal.
>>
File: 1467824536695.jpg (489KB, 800x1187px)
1467824536695.jpg
489KB, 800x1187px
>>95315584
>>95315610
It's actually because she's a loyal, caring person who challenges him to be a better man and supports him through his hardships all while having a close personal history.
>>
>>95315345
Oh boy...this is going to be fun.
>>
>>95315584
To me she always came across as someone who could keep up with Peter and legitimately let him be himself, while Felicia only really gave a shit about Spider-Man, and Gwen only gave a shit about Peter Parker, the nerdy dude in her class.
I guess I just saw her being "prickly and awful" as being confident and sure of herself, which I liked. Like i said, this my opinion, but i think she compliments Peter's personality much better than any of his other love interests have.
>>
>>95315423
>Mister Coffe
Ok, I smiled.
>>
>>95315512
Wow, so for me, Slott finally wrote a good issue since Superior. Bravo.
>>
>>95315487
I knew something fishy was up the moment I saw the Goblin "totem", that would have simply been way too convenient
>>
File: Whatever 4.jpg (763KB, 1280x1967px)
Whatever 4.jpg
763KB, 1280x1967px
>>95315555
I love some PeterxChat.

RIP: Beautiful mutant girlfriend of peter parker.
>>
that was a pretty great issue, I'm impressed
>>
>>95315404
someone has been watching the brave and the bold
>>
Thanks for the storytime. This was surprisingly okay.
>>
>>95315243
>Peter did to Norman what Rees did to Eddie
Holy shit!
>>
>>95315267
love that this random acupuncturist just happens to know about Mystical Temple With No Name and Norman is like, "well, she's an acupuncturist, I'm sure this is legit"
>>
>>95315243

Why didn't Norman just go to Roddy? Dude made the serum better. With no insanity, but still.
>>
>>95316407
All Asians are kung-fu masters, didn't you know?

I honestly think Slott might have some sort of hang up/Asian fetish. He made Silk Peter's cocksleeve with literally no personality until Thompson came and did her mini, touted the Parker Industries as some big international corporation but we only really saw action at the Shanghai branch with a little of the NYC branch. The London branch appeared once or twice.

I don't know, I'm really just eternally creeped out by the whole Silk thing.
>>
>>95316550
He made the new female Asian Wraith.
>>
>>95316634
I completely forgot about her. Mister Negative is also Asian. I'm sure there are others.
>>
Okay might as well ask this here, can anyone in the Marvel Universe learn magic? How does it work?
>>
>>95316719
You study, read, meditate, focus, and you learn magic

You can only not learn magic if you don't believe in magic
>>
>>95315660
this is one of my favorite pages of all time
>>
>>95316776
Who would not believe in magic in this universe?
>>
>>95315660
>straights

Uh...is he calling her a dyke?
>>
>>95316828
Dummies
>>
>>95316872
Are you retarded?
>>
>>95316719
Pretty much, Beast from the O5 is now a sorcerer so it can't be too difficult.
>>
>>95316828
Probably the same way you could argue whether or not Thor was the actual god of Thunder or an advanced alien race that modeled itself after Thor, god of Thunder.
>>
>>95315393
Mental tigers
>>
>>95315525
Holy shit, Maximum Carnage 2? That's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>95317063
It's the 25th anniversary.
>>
>>95317516
Plus the upcoming Venom film.
>>
>>95317516
>>95317522
I'd say "but people hate Maximum Carnage," but Clone Saga 3 is proof Marvel doesn't fucking care.
>>
>>95317638
Maximum Carnage really works as a period piece though. Like, it's not a good story but if you want to see a story that encapsulates """"90's comics""""" then go no further.
>>
>>95317638
The tpb first released in 2005 is still in print 12 years later, so people keep buying it.
>>
>>95317638
People don't hate Maximum Carnage, nerds hate Maximum Carnage.

A Maximim Carnage 2 will stir up a lot of news with normies, because ones that grew up in the 90s will remember the Maximum Carnage event from childhood as being the most awesome thing ever, or perhaps only even know of it from the video game, or maybe never heard of it at all but surely love Carnage because he's a popular guy who sold a shitload of action figures
>>
>>95315556
That's probably why they have the test now
>>
>>95315525
>"The Fall of Peter Parker."

How many times must his story be falling?
>>
>>95317917

Maximum Carnage is the storyline I read when my mom got me garage sale comics almost twenty years ago. That's probably how many remember it too.
>>
>>95318588

Did he run out of web fluid again?
>>
>>95318588
This.

I'm sick of the Peter failing shit. His entire fucking history is about that. Him actually making something out of himself and steeping up to be a greater hero and person was new. His whole damn destiny is that one day he's going be consider of the greatest heroes but they keep knocking him down.
>>
>>95315487
This is a pretty good twist
>>
>>95315195

I hate Slott. I hated Superior, I hated Spiderverse, I hated Parker Industries Peter, I hated Clone Conspiracy, I hated the last arc.

I liked this.
>>
>>95317773
>>95317790
>>95317917
It is literally a self-perpetuating meme of a comic. It's popular because they made it 16 issues long, printed a million copies and pushed a popular character.
>>
>>95315300
what does every acupuncturist knows about this temple?
>>
>>95320232
acupuncture is magic in the Marvel Universe.
>>
>>95316550
he just straight up has yellow fever
>>
>>95315393
Looks like Norman hit the jackpot.
>>
I didn't like the end twist, cheap fake-out, he might as well just dreamed the whole thing. But I wouldn't like it if the monks actually did train Osborn to become Goblin again, they're smarter then that.
>>
>>95315512
What if he gets his powers by making a deal with you-know-who?
>>
>>95320508
I bet that's what Gwen told him too.
>>
>>95318925
But the entire Big Time and eventually Parker Industries arcs were about him "succeeding." Getting the job he wanted at the big think tank/tech/science start up with Horizon Labs, then getting to be on top of the world as CEO of the company Otto started. People were sick of that.
>>
>>95320582
This issue was about how Osborn won't be able to turn to science or magic to fix his condition leaving symbiotes
>>
>>95320893
Then those people are fucking idiots and part of the problem, because Pete not being shit and down on his luck was new. Pete actually having money and not being borderline homeless was new. Pete's entire fucking story so far has been about how being Peter and spider-man was shitty and when we finally get to a point where he lives up to his destiny, faggots start crying and get him sent back to being shit and poor again.

There is no fucking way or reason you can ever explain Peter being poor and down on his luck again at this point but they will force it. Because of faggots.
>>
>>95321321
>Somehow still being surprised at capes worshipping the dark lord of status quo
>>
>>95321427
I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

Like holy fuck we finally got Pete stepping up and being the hero we always were told he was be and the only response we get are faggots who keep crying and trying to send Pete back decades in his achievements. Meanwhile Tony gets to keep his company and never really lose while Peter has actually made inventions and shared them with humanity. Something Tony and Reed almost never do. Pete thought about his fellow man where as the other big names were selfish as fuck, one of the things that led hydracap to power. Anyway I'm ranting and gonna shut up. Just a long time spidey fan who's disappointed.
>>
>>95322133
You're saying the exact same things people said back during OMD/BND. Probably the same things people said at multiple points during Clone Saga too. It's just how this sort of thing works. It's shit and we eat it up. Just gotta take the good bits as standalone stories.
>>
>>95315525
Ugh, why make the two biggest Spider-villains into pastiches now
>it's Otto WITH SPIDER-POWERS
>it's Osborn WITH A SYMBIOTE
>>
Can anybody storytime Deadpool or Venomverse?
>>
>>95315404
reminds me of that one issue of action comics
>you could have chosen anything you wanted
>but you chose to kill super/spider-man
>therefore you get nothing
>>
>>95315369
Deadpool/Spidey is excellent.

Superior Team-Up is good if you're into the Superior Spidey concept, but it's also hamstrung by being the spinoff book. The main superior book is sadly dogshit.
>>
Wow, what the fuck. this is no shit the best single issue that Slott's done in years.

Imagine if he gave a couple of these short stories to Otto. Imagine how much better Superior would have gone over if he just had the goddamn restraint to cut the shit and just focus on a tightly paced story. What a waste.
>>
So the lesson here is that when Slott isn't writing Peter Parker or Silver Surfer, he's actually good?
>>
>>95315195
Ok, for a sec there, I thought Osborn SOMEHOW got his hands on a Green Goblin-Loki Toon Force Mask. Now that would be terrifying.
>>
File: deadpool_contemplating_suicide.jpg (26KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
deadpool_contemplating_suicide.jpg
26KB, 544x400px
>>95316048
God. Why did you remind me. She was too good for this world.
>>
is this worth reading
>>
>>95322973
>Big Head!Norman
Jesus I won't sleep tonight
>>
>>95323029
This run? No. This issue? Yes.
>>
>>95315556
>>95318493
To be fair DOOM didn't take over the temple some people just willing became his servants and people of the mystic arts are welcomed in Latveria anyway.
>>
>>95316999
lol underrated
>>
>>95316407
He thought she was offering a happy ending.

Dude can't turn down a happy ending, even if he has to travel to the ends of the earth.
>>
>>95315555
>Is my taste wrong if I always preferred PeterxFelicia?

Yes.
>>
>>95316999
>if Norman had picked the Tiger mask he would have gained the power to summon Mind Tigers

Norman goofed up big time there.
>>
>>95315512

That was brilliant. What a great twist ending to a done-in-one story. Bravo, Slott. That's some efficient, evocative storytelling in an age of rampant decompression.
>>
>>95316719
This has probably been retconned a thousand times but here's the general gist.
You have a MP that you can use to do magic.
Anyone can do it but some have more MP than others.
You generally have to study if it's not something you're naturally talented enough at to do on your own whether it be for biological or mental reasons. Eg Wiccan compared to just about anyone else.

You can augment this to use magic outside of using your normal MP via asking/borrowing power from other magical beings like agamotto, cyttorak, dormammu, and so on but this is a form of supplication/praise to said beings so while Doom has a high MP his ego doesn't let him borrow power. Such things usually have some sort of condition attached albeit it can be something as simple as the being wanting people to know that it's awesome(Cyttorak) to something much much worse(Shuma Gorath wanting to step into your dimension)
Classic Strange has an absurdly high MP stat before he even gets into his arcane knowledge which is why he's generally top dog.
I have no idea how much MP Reed Richards has naturally, but he has outperformed Doom at magic simply because he didn't have an ego getting in the way of asking magical beings for power politely.
Wiccan was messing with, or about to mess with the rules of magic in the MU so everything about can be tossed out the window at any time.
>>
>>95315471
The way he's eating the spider looks so casual there that it makes me laugh, in capeshit you'd expect it to be some dramatic moment with a close up on his face while he devours it in one swift chomp with evil grinning eyes and maybe line leg poking out from his clenched teeth

But no....he just appears to be casually noming it, I half expect to see that from the front and have him with a doofy smile of self satisfaction rather than anything intimidating
>>
>>95325729
Side note: I have no idea how, or the speed at which your personal magic might refill.
>>
>>95322676
He writes badly because that's what Marvel WANTS him to do. He's entirely capable of writing a good story and will occasionally do so by accident like today.
>>
>>95325729
>>95325791
I think it works less like MP and more like spell levels and slots from D&D. Though the general gist is that the more time spent learning, researching, and casting magic the more efficient, if not powerful, you become at it.
>>
>>95325821
Fuck off Slott
>>
>>95326133
I did mention before that retcons have probably happened since.
The researching was just more spells and most of those spells call upon other beings to help you independently of your own magical power. Your own raw magical power was an unchanging stat.
Eg, anyone can summon a nigh unstoppable demon. The real trick is not getting killed by it.
If it was spell slots/etc then Doom wouldn't have been able to simply copy off what other wizards were doing in triumph and torment.
I could be wrong since strange is a freak of nature with nearly maxed out stats from the start but the amount of ancient sorcerers that never improve seems to support that theory. Eg Selena is canonically from at least the hyborian age yet she's an incredibly low tier sorcerer for the amount of time she's been around. If just studying/practice was all that was needed she's have had to have been bored at least enough for one lifetime to be Strange tier.
>>95326233
Saying that Slott is writing badly on purpose is not defending him or a compliment, you gibbering retard.
>>
>>95326344
Selene's got a shitton of powers and it's never clarified what's magic and what is her mutant powers. If her quasi-vampirism is her only mutant power then she's a small scale reality warper level of sorcerer who taught herself psychic powers.
>>
>>95315195

what's this cover an homage too. it's bugging me
>>
File: eddieatthedoor.jpg (140KB, 564x703px)
eddieatthedoor.jpg
140KB, 564x703px
>>95326653
Probably not whatever you're thinking of, but it reminded me of this
>>
>>95315708
Softee
>>
>>95322676
this has been known forever
>>
>>95315435
Goddamn I hate the dialogue Slott writes for Peter.
>>
>>95315345
>>95315423
I do appreaciate the callbacks to old Norman stories.
>>
>>95315345
Remember the last time osborn gained magic power? Gathering of five?
>>
>>95315243
Maybe you should go back to the formula, Norm.
>>
>>95320893
People were sick of it because it was badly done.

Horizon Labs was just a plot device to save the day most of the time, and the actual cast of Horizon Scientists were all one note. The only one I can even remember is Uatu because he shared a name with the watcher, but even he was pretty bland.

Parker Industries was just an excuse to have Peter thwip all over the world, and it could have been an interesting concept, but again, the execution was terrible and all the iron-man shit was boring. "Suit, activate web-cartridge #63!" was lame as fuck when Spock did it, and it's lame as fuck when Peter does it. Both the out of suit, and in suit shit were boring as fuck because Peter's richness became a story crutch.

People LIKED when Peter became a teacher. They liked when he started working with Tony. Pete can succeed, it just has to be fucking well done.
>>
I like Mystic Goblin.
>>
>>95315195
I've just realized that Amazing is the title I've been following continuously for the longest time, from issue 577 back in 2008.
Batman? Dropped during Tony Daniel's run. Superman? Dropped during New 52. X-Men, Avengers, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Hulk, Wondy? All dropped at various times.
Feels weird desu.
>>
>>95315369
scarlet spider is pretty fun
>>
>>95328165
Peter liked when Peter started working as teacher mostly because JMS started to ignore it after he wrote his 2-3 mandatory stories about it. For fuck's sake, he didn't even bother to actually remove Peter from school. PAD did it for him.
>>
>>95326647
It's still a pretty weak showing after fifty thousand years or more. I'm not sure how far back the hyborean age goes but that's the bare minimum with the avengers BC technically having a chance at retconning it back even further.
>>
>>95316690

As a Chinese, I rather like Mr. Negative. He's pretty unique as villains go.
>>
>>95328712
I liked the idea of Peter as a teacher but I hated how JMS had him constantly flake on his students to go do superhero stuff.
it seemed irresponsible as fuck to inflict that on his students. Especially when Peter kept going on about how important education is. at that point 'parker luck' isn't a good enough excuse.
>>
>>95328835
He is basically Silver Age Green Goblin (double identity, wants to conquer underworld, actually a wealthy businessman), but with Negative energy replacing goblin persona. It works because they decided to make him boss with a gimmick instead of supervillain trying to be a mob boss. Also, fighting with a sword while wearing a suit will always look nice.
>>
>>95328835
Oh, yeah I didn't mean to shit on Mister Negative, I think he's one of the best things to come out of post OMD. I just wanted to point out that a lot of Slott's pet creations were Asian.
>>
>>95328847
Not really? I read JMS and he was at least consistent about but other writers had him flake out more often. One horrible example was an issue of Blade that had Spider-man's students and him turn into vampires, and while spidey survived the other kids were killed off. It was never mentioned anywhere else but that always rubbed me the wrong way.
>>
>>95330158
Yeah, I think if anything's gonna stick from Slott's run it'll be Mister Negative.
>>
>>95330272
Literally the first issue in what is going to be a 10+ year run (Slott's first ASM credit was the backup story to OMD in Dec '07, first full issue was the next issue).

Holy shit, how do you fuck up that hard? You dominate what the character does for fucking A DECADE and the only thing you get to stick is the first fucking idea you had?
>>
>>95315195
Thanks
>>
>>95328769
17,000 years IIRC, and, using prior assumption of her mutant powers, her magical abilities include telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis, shapeshifting, animating inanimate objects, and molecular control over matter, alongside more traditional magical tools like curses and spells. And she has all that without invoking greater magical beings for power. She may not be top of class, but she's up near the top.

>>95328847
>>95330228
Peter as a teacher was a pretty crappy move from the perspective of him being a superhero. Teachers have a very structured schedule and a lot of time is spent pre- and post-school hours doing job related things.
>>
>>95315512
I'm so mad that I have to concede that this is a great issue. Damn, I would probably add it to a Norman Osborn rec list.
>>
>>95315267
>same therapist from moon knight in 2nd panel
Cool detail.
>>
>>95332112
I went and double checked. Seems to roughly fit into the timeline but things are blurry since there's some dude who retconned the hyborean age into happening over 30k BC I'm assuming that's where my confusion came from.
>>
>>95332520
Shit, I didn't even realize.
>>
>>95316872
It was the sixties or seventies. Basically used to mean Straight Edge or the like.
>>
>>95315556
Maybe Victor had to go through the same test and the monks think that the universe had plans for him and allowed him to learn their secrets
>>
>>95323550
okay thanks
>>
>>95316407
Could be Flash's physical therapist ex-wife, who I think originated from a similar hidden temple.
>>
File: IMG_2011.png (163KB, 232x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2011.png
163KB, 232x480px
>Slott actually wrote a good issue
Huh. I'm still not buying any of the bastard's comics until he leaves Spidey, but good on him.
>>
>>95315435
who'da think that very line would be in two marvel books this week
>>
>>95315512
Hey, pretty good. I'm not sure I agree 100% with Normans relationship to his GG persona and all that, but it was a really nice story none the less
>>
So the best way to make a Spiderman comic these days is NOT to have Spiderman in it?
>>
>>95315525
There's a book where the Goblin teams up with Carnage right?
>>
>>95339219
There's a prose novel with a premise like that... I think. I think the Green Goblin in it might have also just been the Chameleon in disguise.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.