[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Cyborg or Martian Manhunter being the seventh founder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Cyborg Manhunter.jpg (74KB, 1250x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Cyborg Manhunter.jpg
74KB, 1250x1080px
Why is Cyborg or Martian Manhunter being the seventh founder of the Justice League even such an issue? Martian Manhunter for all his institutional continuity in the League never held a continuing solo book, just a couple of mini-series, compared to literally everyone else already having their own long-running solos when the JLA title was first created (I'll give Aquaman was "merely" headlining an anthology title but got his first solo shortly thereafter, rendering the point moot). And Cyborg needs no explanation, since he's widely considered a Titan shoved onto the League for diversity purposes and people still clamor for his old connections there and his own title isn't doing so hot.

Why doesn't DC just give up and admit there's only six League founders that matter and call them the Big Six and stress them as the League makers?
>>
>>95300805
Because it makes for awkward group shots because an odd number allows for a center figure like Superman to stand in the center.
>>
>>95300805
What if we just fuse them into one character, Martian Cyborg
>>
>>95300841
>>95300805

Stressing that specific lineup isn't even mandatory. Did everyone forget that long ass stretch of time where neither superman nor batman were in the league and Flash was the leader?

It's only when you insist that the JL has to be a bunch of iconic figures with an iconic lineup that people really care who is or isn't on it. Rather than just what heroes would naturally group up.
>>
Aquaman also had a very problematic history and was only a famous character BECAUSE he was on the League, yet you don't argue against him.

Aquaman was chosen to represent Adventure Comics and Manhunter Detective Comics.

What makes them the Big Seven is that they were all on the JLA, not the other way around. They founded the League and made it into a headline DC book. That's why the team lineup is important: history.
>>
I like Cyborgs current solo. Last issue had a matrioshka brain and I that stuff is cool.
>>
>>95300881
>Sole survivor of a Martian genocide and on the verge of death.
>Found by astronauts/scientists who build him a new body.
>Has to not only deal with his lost world and family, but his new robo-body.

I'd read it.
>>
>>95300891
The JLA's lineup was very iconic and consistent for decades and it didn't get a shakeup till the 80's with the Detroit League.

It's in stark contrast to Marvel which never had a single iconic Avengers lineup that everyone remembered them by. They're two different teams and there's a reason they're different.

Part of what sets DC apart is their history and continuity, when you ignore it to retcon Cyborg in Martian Manhunter's place or to just remove one character entirely, it's disrespecting that history for marketing purposes.
>>
>>95301105
>don't worry, i will just psychically hack thi-AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH
>>
>>95301105
>>95301142
>"One moment, I will psychically link to these showers an-AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!"
>>
>>95301197
>the team grows increasingly concerned with his obsession with choco showers
>>
>>95300805
Martian is the seventh founder. Cyborg is a 2nd gen along with Batson, IDK where this meme he's a founder comes from. Stupid DCAU

Cyborg-Firestorm new guy bants like in the OLD Justice League cartoons WHEN?
>>
>>95301235
>NO! I WILL NEVER DELETE MY COOKIES
>>
File: 협심증[1].jpg (15KB, 240x270px) Image search: [Google]
협심증[1].jpg
15KB, 240x270px
>>95301284
>>
>>95301039
.... I thought Aquaman was A-list. Not S-tier like the Trinity of the time, but A-list/Official Big Gun nonetheless, JLA or not.
>>
>>95300805

He had a 38-issue series starting in 1998
>>
>>95303662
No one reads comics here. Especially good ones by Ostrander.
>>
The reason Cyborg is a founder in the current movie continuity is because they want to get get a Flash movie done, and Flashpoint is probably the last Iconic moment they expect their main audience to know

The reason they expect their audience to know and be excited about Flashpoint is the same reason they want to get a Flash movie out: The popularity of the Flash tv show

And whereas Martian Manhunter to my knowledge never showed up in, at the very least, the original Flashpoint animated movie that I can all but promise will be their main point of reference, Cyborg ended up being one of the major players of the movie. They don't want to make another movie to introduce him at a later date, so they're doing it now.

And yes, part of the mindset is getting the Diversity GBPs for having a black character in the spotlight, but from what little I know of the current Supergirl tv series, Martian manhunter takes the appearance of a black male. So they would've had the same diversity quota from him had they followed the same route, which is easy with a shapeshifter and all in all sends a message clickbait sites would jump all over (Hey white people, guess what this superpowered shapeshifter prefers to look like!)

tl;dr: Cyborg's main reason for appearing so early and being a founder is so they can push out a Flashpoint movie ASAP
>>
>>95303727
A sentiment DC shares since it gave up on collecting the run after two volumes. And nobody batted an eye.
>>
>>95303891
>And nobody batted an eye
I'm still pissed they gave up on it and collecting his fucking Spectre run. They shouldn't have even started if they were going to back out.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.