[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth the read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: Watchmen,_issue_1.jpg (23KB, 253x394px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen,_issue_1.jpg
23KB, 253x394px
Is it worth the read?
>>
>Moore
its basically an edgy rape book
>>
>>95300785
Read it and find out!
>>
>>95300785
yes

>>95300800
this is bait. alan moore is pretty much the most influential comic writer that exists. neil gaiman is the most skilled comic writer. mike carey is right up there with them and warren ellis would be if he would just commit to things instead of drop them all the time
>>
File: 1256538204404.jpg (136KB, 905x470px) Image search: [Google]
1256538204404.jpg
136KB, 905x470px
>>95300785
Do you have a loose interest or knowledge of comicbook conventions, politics, history and a smidgen of philosophy and metaphysics?

If not, maybe not.
If so, maybe so.

The era it was most relevant has sort of passed, but don't let me stop you.
>>
>>95300785
Just finished marathoning the first 20 pages, what'd I think of it?
>>
>>95300830
Ware, Lapham, Busiek, Maggins are better
>>
>>95300800
>one subplot point revolves around a rape
>"edgy rape book"
>>
>>95300785
Yeah. Especially with Doomsday Clock coming out.
>>
Thanks for the opnions guys, was thinking of buying it,but I always see mixed reviews here I'm really just intrested in rorschach due to his design and all.
>>
>>95300858
That's not a Watchman dig, it's a general Moore dig.
>>
>>95300943
>I'm really just intrested in rorschach due to his design and all.
So you'd say all things pertaining Rorschach makes or breaks this for you?
>>
>>95300785

meh
>>
>>95300800
fuck off
>>
>>95301011
Honestly yea, I like cool looking characters and get intrigued to learn more about them. Don't know much about the other characters.
>>
Absolutely, when people call it a masterpiece, they're not exaggerating.
>>
>>95300785
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a good example of Moore's obsession with meticulously choreographed pages. If you've seen the movie it's also much more brightly colored than you might expect.
>>
>>95300785
No, unless you like overrated edgy garbage.
>>
>>95301123
Screw off, that's not Neonomicon!
>>
>>95301135
Although it is a guilty pleasure of mine
>>
>>95301122
>Moore's obsession with meticulously choreographed pages
I need to know how many drafts issue 5 when through before they decided to make it a visual palindrome. And then how many times before they were satisfied.
>>
>>95301169
Moore performed an elaborate magical ritual, so it was one-and-done
>>
>>95301135
Agreed, it's not as unbearable as Neonomican, but what it lacks in fish rape, it gains in shear pretentiousness and cynicism about superheroes.
>>
>>95300785
Many shitheads nowadays look down their nose at Watchmen. Honestly, it's a classic in it's own right and changed the landscape of comics forever. Read it.
>>
>>95301198
The idea that superheroes grounded in realistic pyschologies would be horrible is a valid one. To err is human, after all.
>>
>>95301248
Superheroes are about hope for the better, not wallowing in the filth of what is. And I do not believe that anyone gifted to be a superhero has to be damaged and morally garbage, I reject this awful nihilistic outlook and its popularity infecting everyone into believing it is the only truth.
>>
>>95301435
The only character in Watchmen that is genuinely "gifted" is Dr. Manhattan, and his powers isolate him so much that he is more or less detached from the human condition.
>>
>>95301435
>>95301627
Also, several of the heroes were decent, upright people, but they were either killed off or cracked under the pressure of the world in which they lived. Dollar Bill is a good example. Hollis Mason mentions in his book that he was a good man who died because of a wardrobe malfunction
>>
>>95300800
>Anti-Moore poster
Basically an edgy contrarian faggot
>>
>>95300846
>Busiek
lol, no.
And the rest are way too different to compare him with. Moore is among the very the best at what he does, just like Ware. There's no point at comparing them since they'd probably be just as awkward if they had to write something in each other's field.
>>
>>95301195
Should have figured, fucking snake gods.
>>
>>95301435
It's almost as if you had already made up your mind before reading the fucking book because that's not what it's all about at all. If you read the other superhero stuff Moore has written, he has respect for the idea of more positive superheroes. He just thinks it's damaging when grown ups actually admire and look up to cartoonish fictional characters.
>>
>>95300785
Read that shit. It basically changed the landscape for comics forever.
>>
>>95300785

Nah I wouldn't worry about it OP. It's an old book with old ideas. Read America instead
>>
>>95301070

He has a point. Moore loves rape and uses it as a dramatic crutch
>>
>>95301910
I'll admit he overuses it, but it's never been used to titillate the reader, at least to my knowledge. Barring degenerates, of course.
>>
File: 1346462774042.jpg (9KB, 200x261px) Image search: [Google]
1346462774042.jpg
9KB, 200x261px
>>95301897
>>
>>95300785

overrated
>>
>>95303221
That doesn't answer his question
>>
>>95300846
Maggins doesn't even come close, you dumb Bronze age poster.
>>
>>95300785
No, it's just a cash in for DC's latest event Doomsday clock. Just wait for the real thing instead. You're better off spending your money on Doomsday clock variants.
>>
>>95300785
Yeah, it's pretty enjoyable. I've read it several times. It's not nearly as influential as it's hardcore fans like to think, however.
Also, it's mandatory that you love it or autists piss themselves.
>>
>>95300785
Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0I4BSiRxO0
>>
File: watchmen.jpg (89KB, 640x356px) Image search: [Google]
watchmen.jpg
89KB, 640x356px
>>95300785
yes, it's great
don't listen to the trolls and contrarians
>>
>>95300830
>and warren ellis would be
don't make me laugh
>>
its not bad, though i liked v for vendetta better
>>
>>95305643

>It's not nearly as influential as it's hardcore fans like to think, however.

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>95300785
Yeah.
>>
>>95300837
I dunno, I read it before I really knew any of that stuff (like 5-6 years back when I was in high school) and it kinda opened my mind to a wider range of ideas/philosophy/entertainment/etc. Like, not to sound pretentious, but I read it when I was an overally pretty uninformed/not-widely read kinda guy & it had a huge impact on me. Loved it as a story, and I think it geared me into wanting more out of fiction and philosophy in general. Returning to it with more knowledge is definitely redwarding, but desu I think this kinda work benefits from going in semi-blind & rereads later.
>>
Reminder Breevort admitted Marvel would be canabalizing watchmen earlier than DC did with Rebirth.
>>
>>95300785
Yes.

>>95300800
No.
>>
>>95300785
yes.

I was a cynic about it before reading it since it's the what the normies and casuals always act like they've read and moorefags are cunts (we are) but even if you just don't want to look brainless talking abut rebirth in any significant way it's worth it. I actually truly gained an affinity for it and I think it's because I like old comics. It's not so much lambasting them as much as it is celebrating them. It really is one that stuck with me and few stories in general, regardless of the medium, do that for me.

Moorefags are insufferable but Watchmen deserves the amount of praise it gets. generally the only people that are really angered by it just seem to hate moore.

And again, even if you do end up hating it at least you can act smug in rebirth threads. At least get to issue 4. It's the issue that really struck me as the moment I knew that shit was something else.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.