[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Spawn ever actually good? Why is he no longer popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: spawn.jpg (184KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spawn.jpg
184KB, 1280x720px
Was Spawn ever actually good?

Why is he no longer popular?
>>
>>95292814
He was good when I was fourteen, he was good when you were fourteen. You missed your chance bro.
>>
>>95292814
>Was Spawn ever actually good?
Yeah, or decent enough at least.

>Why is he no longer popular?
Because he's not Marvel or DC, plus he represents the previous decade while trendy 20 somethings rebel against everything about that decade, edgy and dark is not hip anymore, what's hip is "fun" and camp

People actually like GOTG, let that sink in and then ask yourself if those people could ever like Spawn
>>
>>95292814

As someone who loves Spawn, no the comic was never well written. But I still find it enjoyable until Capullo leaves as regular artist.
>>
At the very least he was fun. If you can channel your inner 14 year old you can probably still enjoy him.
Short answer? Image comics.
Long answer? Image comics properties are only popular one IP at a time every decade or so. Last time it was Spawn, now it's Walking Dead. No idea what the next one'll be, hope it's something more over the top than just zombies.
>>
>>95292879
GotG was a good movie. And Spawn was a good comic, until they ran out of ideas. Loved the HBO series, though i stopped watching after a some episodes because I got rid of my cable at the time.

Spawn isnt popular because they didnt know where else to go with him. Al simmons no longer being spawn was pretty stupid. In fact im shocked no one said anything about Al being replaced by a white guy.
Spawn could still be cool, just gotta go back to the gritty mafia stuff mixed with heaven and hell stuff and not just focus on the otherworldly shit too much. Or perhaps spwan could only work as a mini series.
>>
>>95292972
>In fact im shocked no one said anything about Al being replaced by a white guy.
There were some pretty strong reactions even on /co/.

Especially when the first issue came out and the fucker was webswinging with chains and made everyone think MacFarlane was just trying to re-obtain his Spider-Man audience.
>>
>>95293056
Oh lol funny, i actually didnt come around here during that time.
Was it like a race thing or just disliking the character change.
Honestly even if Al was replaced by another black guy it'd be dumb.
>>
>>95293325
>Was it like a race thing or just disliking the character change.
Just that it was stupid and arbitrary. Though ti isn't the first time they tried to make Spawn white. Though the last time was literally Al turning into a white guy and it was fucking hilarious.
>>
>>95293325
>>95293343
It wasn't as bad as the retcon about Al beating his wife. He once beat her to a miscarriage which is the real reason he got sent to Hell.
>>
>>95292814
He's the Duke Nukem of comics
>>
>>95292814
No, except for the few issues that weren't written by MacFarlane. Art was ok but it'ss so awfully written it's very frustrating, specially since there are some decent ideas at the beginning an they just go nowhere.
The potential was there, but MacFarlane wanted to be a big star and fucked it up.
>>
Dark and edgy was replaced by family-friendly action-comedy superheroes so he doesn't have a place anymore.

Maybe if the movie has a 90's aesthetic and tries to appeal to nostalgic millennials it might manage to be a success again.
>>
I think he's the only reason people know Image comics still exist.
>>
>>95292814

no

same reason jerry springer and limp bizkit are no longer popular: there is such a thing as fads
>>
>>95292814
My guess is till #100
And its sometimes zeitgeist that something is popular and than not anymore. For example Witchblade and theDarkness was popular. Or Fathom.
Guess its something with satration, trends and coming up with new good story arks.
>>
>>95292972
>Spawn could still be cool, just gotta go back to the gritty mafia stuff mixed with heaven and hell stuff and not just focus on the otherworldly shit too much. Or perhaps spwan could only work as a mini series.
This here. The whole "rule hell" felt as the ultimate end of the story. And what could be bigger than that? I liked the medievil spawn, curse of spawn, sam&twitch were good too. Should have done more with that direction.
>>
>>95293419
...for fuck's sake, mcfarlane
>>
>>95292814
It went really down hill after they dumped that third power crap that was somehow above god and Satan.
>>
>>95292814
Yes, the Armageddon arc was great. But they ended it with the stupidest retcon bullshit imaginable.
>>
>>95293772
... What? Spawn sells like shit, meanwhile Saga and Walking Dead top the charts.
>>
>>95293468
This, Christ.
Just reading the damn thing is a chore.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.