[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Providence?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Providence01-Pantheon-600x927.jpg (202KB, 600x927px) Image search: [Google]
Providence01-Pantheon-600x927.jpg
202KB, 600x927px
Just finished reading the Courtyard, Neonomicon, and Providence. What's everyone's thoughts on it?
>>
>>95258666
you first
>>
The premise and overall theme was interesting, the reinterpretation of some Lovecraft mythos drew my interest. But I admit I am not too knowledge in Lovecraft so probably would not have enjoyed it as much as a Lovecraft fan.
>>
>>95258677
I thoroughly enjoyed it but feel like I need to do more research in order to get it all. Moore seems to understand his source a lot better than most Lovecraft adaptations. Also lots and lots of dicks which is always great.
>>
>>95258666
links please?
>>
>>95258666
"I got that reference" the book.

In all honesty, it's good, it has a great mood, if you like Lovecraft you'll like it... but I dunno, I didn't fall deeply in love with it like other people did.
>>
>>95258666
ending issue of providence was amazing
>>
>>95258708
>But I admit I am not too knowledge in Lovecraft so probably would not have enjoyed it as much as a Lovecraft fan.

Yeah Providence is what I saw someone on Twitter call a " homework comic" like The Black Dossier was for Victorian fiction
>>
File: Providence10-pantheon_1024x1024.jpg (189KB, 662x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Providence10-pantheon_1024x1024.jpg
189KB, 662x1024px
>>95258666
Johnny Carcosa is probably one of my favorite versions of Nyarlathotep at the end of it all.
>>
>>95258666
I'm partway through the first book of Providence. I like it. I especially love how the diary has a bunch of story ideas that are slowly evolving into HP Lovecraft stories
>>
>>95262152
The diary entries are fantastic, as it is a great way of keeping in the epistolary nature of some of Lovercraft's stories despite also being a comic.
>>
>>95258666
>dem digits

It may be the best reinterpretation of the Cthulhu mythos that encompasses so much material, makes it coherent (you know, as much as the mythos can make sense) and also adds a whole new meaning and depth to the stories.

Providence stands alone and will stand alone for many years to come.
>>
>>95258708
Courtyard and Neonomicon were actually pretty damn bad for someone who was a lovecraft story, the literary equivalent of shovelware. About the most canonical thing was the thing 'normies' complain about (fishrape.)

Providence is okay.

Honestly Hellboy/BPRD remains the much better Lovecraftian pastiche (particularly if you wanted to consider any of Lovecraft's Dreamlands cycle), it just lacks the gnostic musings and implications of the Narlythotep/Azathoth connection to solidify that sort of feel.
>>
>>95258666
It was a fucking blast. The mytos stuff was on par with the League comics in how extensive and multilayered Moore can manage to be.

I could have done without the tie-in with Neonomicon. That series was shit and should have been forgotten.
>>
>>95264327
Aye, but Providence does lighten some of the load by recasting it as being an intentional "fall from grace" for the various cults and covens.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.