[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-Publishing general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: nattyshitmeme.png (273KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
nattyshitmeme.png
273KB, 660x660px
What are the best ways to publish your own stuff, both online and irl? In a way that doesn't forces you to suck dick to avoid starving or whoring yourself out to ideological fanbases, preferably
Bonus points if you add:
>personal experiences
>advice
>recommendations
>etc.
>>
Bumping just once.
>>
I was gonna post but the second part of your post just irritated me a lot.
>>
>>95244911
>that natty comic
boy this thread should be fun
>>
>>95246435
I meant it both ways, left and right
Not criticizing putting politics into comics because of personal conviction , but doing solely to sell them ;-;
>>
Strong publicity and shilling are way more important than good art. My 2 pennies.
>>
File: IMG_0168.jpg (71KB, 650x408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0168.jpg
71KB, 650x408px
>>95247842
This
>>
>>95247842
>>95247974
And only to a degree, where the art satisfies the audience's expectations. The last thing you need is to be known as the shit comic artist known by tens of thousands. This is pretty shit advice considering how flat and simple it is. 4chan is not a place to be looking for marketing advice. Try /biz/ if you are still a lazy fuck. If not, try for official online business boards or some shit
>>
>>95244911
Lookup "vanity press". The rest is convincing people that you're worth paying.
>>
>>95244911
Why doesn't this chick have nudes?
>>
>>95248781
The one who draws it is actually a man
And as for r34 I'm sure it's bound to be some
>>
>>95244911
Not in thread, but how about editorials? Do you know what are the best/worse editorials and companies to work with?
>>
>>95248132
>biz
90% of /biz/ is jerking off over cryptocurrencies, 5% is temporarily embarrassed millionaires circlejerking over how non-rich people are icky and the last 5% is "How can I turn this $20 into ten million by the end of the weekend" threads.
>>
>>95244911
>>95250438

What about comiXology or Tapas/Taptastic?
Comparing them with amazon or other sites, I mean
>>
>>95244911
What is this comic?
>>
>>95250909
it's like 99% cryptoscams at this point
>>
>>95256666
Hey triple satan.
>>
>>95256666
quads confirm /biz/ is all crypto-scammers and should be nuked
>>
>>95256620
Natty. Let me save you some time.
>Natty (main character) doing something innane
>Some guy (always a guy) does something she doesn't like
>Natty brutally attacks/murders them
>The victim accepts his fate and says he was wrong
Every. Single. Comic.
>>
>>95256815
But why does she look like Marceline from Adventure Time?
>>
>>95256975
Because the artist/writer is a hack.
>>
File: IMG_3069.jpg (48KB, 272x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3069.jpg
48KB, 272x396px
>>95244911
Sorry, but unfortunately that's how the world works these days. Branch out and try to make yourself known.

The good news is that you don't need to get in piles of student loan debt to succeed.
>>
>>95244911
I know we live in different times but look at all the legends (both in AND out of comics) got their start in self-publishing. The Los Bros. Daniel Clowes. Chris Ware. Chester Brown. Jim Woodring. Ivan Brunetti, Jordan Crane, Frank Santoro etc etc etc the list goes on and on.

The cessation of the Xeric Grant has had a HUGE impact on the viability of making a financially-rewarding (if not liveable income!) transition from self-publishing, to being published by a micro or small press, then maybe to being picked up by the "big players" in the sort of "alternative"/"art"/UG comics scene like Koyama, D & Q and Fantagraphics. I have an oldish print TCJ with a big Kevin Eastman interview that details why he stopped the Xeric, will have to dig it out but the rise of the internet self-publishing must surely must have influenced his decision in some way. Seriously, look up "Past Xeric Award Winners" and see how many are still in comics, many with books out from D & Q and/or Fanta; it's pretty stunning how much exposure a Xeric win gave a cartoonist.

I don't like shilling myself but I got a table at a couple of cons these past three years and did a little better than breaking even, I'm better to talk to IRL than internet self-promotion, never had any issues with social confidence, really.

On the more mainstream side f things then I think webcomics are the best way to go, or taking your portfolio to cons. It's just me but (unless there's something really interesting about it) print self-published capeshit (and some genres) are kind of cringey to me. 'Cause the editors at those companies are not keeping up with the print small-press/indie scene, that I can almost guarantee.

Self-publishing in my experience is pretty easy, are you talking about making money from it or just getting your stuff out there? Best thing I could say is keep to a schedule, draw every day, make stories whether 1-pagers or big long arcs, print them up (maybe invest in a nice...
>>
i want to fuck natty
>>
>>95258627
(cont)...printer/scanner, long-handled stapler and a home screenprinting kit if you're not at uni/college for art and want to make your covers look REALLY pretty) and just...draw your comics! A calender is good to keep to a schedule, I have a good system to keep track of pages/per week pencilled/inked (basically one colour for each step), I don't write full scripts but may have plot beats written down, just a few sentences, I kind of write the dialogue as I'm pencilling the page (I do all my stuff analogue), making notes in the margins; 90% of the time it changes slightly when I get round to pencilling the lettering, THEN it might change AGAIN slightly when I come to ink the lettering.

So, work out the best way for you to create. As Charles Schulz said, don't focus on practising one thing at a time, i.e drawing (I'm not saying don't keep a sketchbook, though!!!), writing, lettering etc just get straight in there and make a comic. Oh and instead of doing every step yourself you could just go with your finished art or master copy to a good print place and they'll talk you through your options. I did that with my first two but screenprinted the covers and outer covers, collated and stapled them, too.

I prefer reading comics on paper so that's how I do it. I have nothing against webcomics but for me paper will always be better. I may try one one day but for now that's how I like to roll. Best of luck to ya, Anon!
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.