[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guide to DC Comics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Joker.jpg (381KB, 1234x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Joker.jpg
381KB, 1234x1920px
Is there like a proper guide to good dc comics in a chronological order? It's really difficult to find what order to read.

Like which batman runs are good? What chronological order can I read them? Same goes for Doom Patrol, do they have any precrisis stories worth reading? Please help.
>>
>>95208772
>in a chronological order
For what purpose? Why not by publication order?
>>
>>95208772
>Caring About Chronological Order
>>95208800
>Or Publication Order

Don't, if a writer is gonna reference a past story from a run outside their own, they'll just spoonfeed you the necessary details. One of the things you need to get in your head when getting into comics is if something that you don't understand / haven't read is referenced. Just mentally take it down to read later if it piques your interest, more or less you'll spend your time reading a shitty run for very little reward (EX: Prieststroke references Pre-Rebirth Teen Titans, reading Pre-Rebirth Teen Titans is not at all worth it so don't bother digging it up, same with the previous Lobdell Red Hood and The Outlaw books, the knowledge of past runs is not worth it if you're not really interested).

>Cont because of 1000 Letter Cap
>>
>>95208800
I am down for publication order. I just need a good guide where I can avoid shit comics. I know people's taste varies but I just want to avoid mediocre stuff.
>>
>>95208862
>Cont'd

Now to answer your actual questions. Here's my own recommendations for Batman and Doom Patrol.

>Snyder's Run
Ignore most of /co/, Snyder's run while guilty of being Morrison's run but "Cuhrayzieeer", it still enjoyable on it's own. The best way I can describe it is a Silver-Age story cross-bred with a Metal Album. It's also fairly stand-alone so you'll easily get up to speed. Don't bother with dealing with the cross-over tie-ins (Death of The Family/Zero Year/Court of Owls) their not worth the time

>Dennis O' Neil's Run
Very standard Batman, this takes place during the Bronze Age so don't worry about being lost, editors then were autistic with the "Every Issue May Be Someone's First" mentality (Which frankly, needs to come back to a lesser degree). They're grittier than the Silver Age, but not as edgy as current Batman. Pretty standard fare. Batman actually acts like a detective here

>Cont'd
>>
>>95208942
Would you be kind to name specific issues? Because all I hear from Snyder's run is death of the family, zero year and court of owls. What issues are worth reading?

Thanks in advance anon, I appreciate it a lot.
>>
>>95208869
Look up /co/ recommendations. It was last updated in 2013 I believe, but still a good list and starting point.

http://comraderecs.tumblr.com/
>>
>>95208993
>Issues
Stop thinking in issues. Most people don't even know which issues a particular arc starts. If you're legitimately gonna buy these, just start with the first volume of Snyder's run and see if you enjoy it from there. If you're just gonna pirate it or something then just download like the first 12 issues or so and keep downloading if you're enjoying what you read.

Other Recommendations for Batman
>Loeb and Sale's OGNs
Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Art may turn you off if you don't like stylized art.
>Matt Wagner's Batman and The Monster Men + Batman and the Mad Monk
Modern retelling of classic Batman stories from the Golden-Age. Nothing spectacular but they're a pretty good "Batman Year One" type stories where Batman is still a rookie.... speaking of Year One
>Frank Miller Batman Year One

>>95209108
how the fuck did I forget about this. Terribly outdated but still good. Most books I'll be recommending is probably already on a Batman Image Chart here.
>>
>>95208772
What you're asking for is kinda impossible. DC has like 80 years of history, with ton of other stuff.

I think best idea regarding DC as a whole is just read all the major events - Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Identity Crisis, Countdown To Infinite Crisis, Infinite Crisis, 52, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Flashpoint; Trinity War, Forever Evil, Futures End, Convergence, Rebirth.
You can skip other events.
If you want, after you read all the event books, you can also try reading them again in proper reading order from ComicBookReadingOrders.com; that alone will give you reading material for months.

As for notable Batman runs - Denny O'Neil Batman stories are good (sadly they aren't a real 'run'); Alan Grant's and Grant Morrison's runs are good - you can find online downloads/torrents with Morrison's run in chronological order - which is useful since he jumped from title to titile a bit. That should include Batman RIP, Battle for the Cowl, Return of Bruce Wayne and probably also Final Crisis.

As for the other Batman, it's probably best to cherrypick best story arcs which are collected as trade paperbacks: read (more or less in this order) Year One, Long Halloween, Batman: Gothic, Dark Victory, Death in the Family, Lonely Place of Dying, Venom, Knightfall (note: it's actually three story arcs, and one of them is actually called Knightfall, so remember to read the whole story), Hush, Under The Hood, Black Mirror and Court of Owls.

Also read the graphic novels: Dark Knight Returns (just avoid the sequels), Mad Love. The Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth. Also Elseworlds: Batman Year 100, Gotham By Gaslight and Superman: Speeding Bullets (yes, it's mostly a Batman story despite the name).

Avoid Death OF the Family, and anything Batman written by Kevin Smith.

As for Doom Patrol - I think Grant Morrison's run is the only notable one.
>>
>>95208993
most of the big creators have issue numbers on their wikipedia, you can also crossreference using comicvine if you need to know when an arc starts/ends

>>95210851
>I think best idea regarding DC as a whole is just read all the major events - Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, Identity Crisis, Countdown To Infinite Crisis, Infinite Crisis, 52, Final Crisis, Blackest Night, Flashpoint; Trinity War, Forever Evil, Futures End, Convergence, Rebirth.

I wouldn't recommend this unless the specific hooks draw you in. Like for 52 it's "what would the other heroes in the DCU do if Batman, Superman, and WW weren't active for a year."
>>
>>95208772
Start with Golden Age Superman, then Batman. Read Action Comics and Detective comics in order from Golden Age and follow through all of Silver Age. That will get you started
>>
>>95210928
Anon asked for a chronological guide to all of DC, I think reading all major events is as close as you're gonna get.

But yeah, I agree, it might be not the best idea. Personally I'd just read the premise and give first issue a read. If I like the first issue, read the whole thing.

If I like the whole thing, reread it in proper reading order.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.